GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 July 2021 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
The inside the park 10th Street path via the small entrance further on 10th St. is the route I believed she may have taken. The reason that seems uncertain now is that they have not released a photo of Katie crossing rainbow intersection 10th/Piedmont St.
But let's presume she crossed at some point there or further North on Piedmont, to entrances on 11th or the half 12th near the condos or by Willy's. This could still put her onto that path. That area behind condo to the small entrance has both homeless/transients and alcohol/drug users. She or Bowie could have disturbed or caught the attention of someone there. They could have followed her up the path as she walked towards Charles Allen. I believe she was found near a tree by near the park lamp by Charles Allen where it intersects that trail. So, someone could have come from behind on that trail (as she was going toward the lamp instinctually) or was ahead nearer to bathroom room area.
I attached a photo that shows; known areas Katie was seen alive, possible entries and path highlighted, known possible witness locations and possible danger areas.
ALL IMHO and conjecture

Thanks for highlighting the Map of Piedmont Park. Gives folks context who may not be familiar with area.

As someone who walked it hundreds of times I just can’t put myself in the mindset that she would walk through the park at 11th/12th/Willys entrance then take the wider path parallel to Lake Clara or head up directly up the path that heads towards 10th.

I’m still stuck on the idea that it was the PP sidewalk path parallel to 10th.

I’m assuming they have other video clips from the school, or houses, that may have seen her walking. Just so confusing. As to the route she took. I’m really hoping the police at least know that via her phone or other video they’re not releasing.

<rsbm> if this was a random attack in the park, and not someone the victim knew who was doing this to her for some reason, then there is a "maniac" out there and we should all be scared because anyone could be next. That warrants some kind of public communication from LE, IMO.

<rsbm>

I think the advice from their press conference still stands.. Don't go places alone particularly when its dark. Take other precautions like don't wear headphones. Etc
While I am frustrated for many reasons, I am not in GA , so I can't say I know exactly how you're feeling, but I am not sure what more they can add specifically here... Until they either have their person or determine that this was targeted in some way, their message to the community is a continuation of earlier.

Maybe that is what the community needs though, just a verbal reminder and reassurance every few days that yes,they are still working it as a priority and to stay vigilant. Maybe you can contact your council person or district representative, however it works there.

@Countrarian
Fox five has reported it as a total of 7 witnesses. Has the jogger who came forward confirmed that that was also him on 10th street, turning left into the park?
Not trying to be pedantic but not sure what you mean.
Are you saying that there is a possibility that the jogger in blue shirt with a white logo who is jogging near the 10th and Charles Allen entrance at @ 12:46:13am is not the same as the jogger with a blue shirt with white logo who exits from the Charles Allen entrance at 12:46:54am?
Or the jogger shown in the subsequent released photos (from the Beltline) who have been identified as the same person above per the link I provided is not the same jogger?
TIA

Edit: This is a pretty good article if you want to see the video and photos released (excluding Beltline of jogger) as well Emma Clark (and father) interview.
Atlanta Police release surveillance video of possible Piedmont Park murder witnesses

Last edited:
Not trying to be pedantic but not sure what you mean.
Are you saying that there is a possibility that the jogger in blue shirt with a white logo who is jogging near the 10th and Charles Allen entrance at @ 12:46:13am is not the same as the jogger with a blue shirt with white logo who exits from the Charles Allen entrance at 12:46:54am?
Or the jogger shown in the subsequent released photos (from the Beltline) who have been identified as the same person above per the link I provided is not the same jogger?
TIA

Edit: This is a pretty good article if you want to see the video and photos released (excluding Beltline of jogger) as well Emma Clark (and father) interview.
Atlanta Police release surveillance video of possible Piedmont Park murder witnesses
Thanks for that link. I was afraid I missed something about 2 separate joggers.

I guess I’ll file the 7 witness thing under bad reporting…but it’s something to think about, maybe. I haven’t heard police asking for the unknown individual in the background of Emma’s 911 call to come forward…but he would round out the 7.

As for the runner that ran in the park and was out 30-40 seconds later I think he saw something that spooked him. Either Bowie or he may have witnessed part of the killing and thought it looked like something else (might have looked at first glance like two people hooking up from a distance)
Yes...the jogger had to of seen something with the bright light on top of his head or hat...you can't see his face it's so bright. IMO Bowie was on or very close to the same driveway the runner was on. Why would you jog into the park for 20 seconds, turn completely around, then almost at a full run out of the park. I don't understand why he didn't call 911 & it took additional photos/videos of him to be released b4 he finally came forward. I believe he came up on that horrific scene within 15 minutes of the murders & 5 minutes of Emma arriving to the same spot.

@countrarian
There was video footage of a runner turning left at the Charles Allen Gate off of 10th. There was also video footage of a runner emerging from the park, exiting through the Charles Allen Gate onto 10th just under a minute after first runner is shown going in. There was much debate on previous thread #1 as to is this the same runner? Why run in and out so quickly? What did he do while there? Since that debate a runner has come forward claiming he didn't witness the murder (msm reporting). Now, tonight Fox 5 has cited 7 witnesses (in the videos specifically) and APD has so far spoken to 1.

I think we all agree Bowie would have defended Katie. And it appears he may have at least tried from what the police have indicated. But the fact is, someone(s) did attack Katie in the park with her pitbull and killed them both. How? We can only speculate. But one thing I thought about. My dog is fairly small, but he is a barker. He will bark at people he doesn't know, at people (even friends) that come to the door. But when we take him for a walk, he puts his nose down for all those new smells, and he is oblivious to everything else around him. I don't know anything about Bowie. But its possible the killer could have approached them without Bowie sensing any danger. We know a knife was involved at some point. But if you add in a taser and/or club, if the killer gets close without arousing suspicious and acts quickly, he could almost instantly incapacitate both.
I believe the killer, at some point, picked up a piece of a limb & used it to fend off Bowie as he attacked Katie. I think that is why LE removed the large limb from the park...to match it to what was used.

Here’s my thing with the jogger…

I don’t think we know for sure IF the dog was stabbed, and IF he was stabbed where was his wound? It’s possible the jogger ran in the park to use the bathroom at the nearest tree OR thought he saw a sleeping, unleashed pit bull in the middle of his jogging path (a joggers nightmare I would presume). Who knows what was going through his mind?

Re: the jogger going in the park and coming out (I think it was) 41 seconds later, IMO it was very possibly a bathroom trip, maybe not in the robot bathroom, which some thinks may be locked at that hour, but just in the bushes. Or maybe he started running into the park, had a thought that "This is kind of dark and I feel weird/unsafe," so decided to not do that after all and ran back out. I think all the images of the jogger are one and the same guy.

I'm a bit shocked to hear none of the other witnesses/people on video have come forward. Perhaps like someone upthread mentioned, one or some might be houseless individuals. If that's the case, they may not have a way to check the news or see things online, so may have no idea they are wanted for questioning. But I would imagine the group of three people are not all houseless, so curious as to why none of them have come forward?

Also, can we address why the 3 individuals (2 females/1 male) exiting the park at 11:55pm is important to the investigation? That is nearly 20 min before Katie has even crossed the rainbow crosswalk.

I guess we must consider the caliber of the other people hanging out in this park at that hour and what their motives for being there might’ve been.

In other words, there may have been witnesses, but they are afraid to come forward for fear of disclosing their own business in the park at 12-1AM.

Yes. I keep thinking about possibilities for why they aren't coming forward.

1. They don't know they are pictured /that authorities want to speak w/ them. (Seems hard to believe but some people don't watch the news, use social media, pay attention to what's going on).

2. They know they are pictured and either don't care or as you said are scared. I think it would do LE good to explicitly address this and that they are not going to pursue charges for any low level offenses that led these people to the park that night. Even if these witnesses didn't see anything helpful , it's important for LE to know that and move on. If a couple of guys met up for sex or someone was buying a little dope, not a big deal if they have something to add.

Also, can we address why the 3 individuals (2 females/1 male) exiting the park at 11:55pm is important to the investigation? That is nearly 20 min before Katie has even crossed the rainbow crosswalk.
Residents and businesses nearby were asked to send in any video from 10:30 PM on. Maybe they want to talk to witnesses from 1030 on as well. But in that case you would think there would be more witnesses they are looking for.

I looked at this yesterday and wondered the same thing. If he was out, by chance, I'd say he would definitely be worth looking at.
I checked too. He is being held in the Fulton County jail & denied bond. He was on probation for another crime when he stabbed this 5 month pregnant woman in the back 4 times because she wouldn't talk to him. Her 3 yr old son was with her & was physically unharmed. He has an extensive criminal history going back to his teens.

Residents and businesses nearby were asked to send in any video from 10:30 PM on. Maybe they want to talk to witnesses from 1030 on as well. But in that case you would think there would be more witnesses they are looking for.
I actually just read this a couple of days ago and it was the first time I heard/saw 10:30 but I'm glad they are being liberal with the time frame. I hope the 10:30 time is knowm by locals who may have thought that was earlier than what authorities were looking for.

@countrarian
There was video footage of a runner turning left at the Charles Allen Gate off of 10th. There was also video footage of a runner emerging from the park, exiting through the Charles Allen Gate onto 10th just under a minute after first runner is shown going in. There was much debate on previous thread #1 as to is this the same runner? Why run in and out so quickly? What did he do while there? Since that debate a runner has come forward claiming he didn't witness the murder (msm reporting). Now, tonight Fox 5 has cited 7 witnesses (in the videos specifically) and APD has so far spoken to 1.
IMHO There should be very little to no debate, a runner with the same height and build is wearing a blue shirt with white logo and something that appears bright on his head, and is in same area in/out within a minute, at that time and place the odds of that not being the same person are astronomical.
Here is some more info. as to the 6 potential witnesses (I explained why Fox may have said 7 in an earlier post):
APD speaks with possible witnesses in deadly stabbing in Piedmont Park
Hope this helps clarify.

Yes. I keep thinking about possibilities for why they aren't coming forward.
rsbm. Rightly or wrongly, there's a lack of trust in APD for some (many) locals. Coming forward can seem risky when you don't believe you'll be treated justly.

It also doesn't help when anonymous posters on local social media claim to be attorneys and say things like, "There's literally no personal benefit for a witness to speak to the police, and significant potential for downside."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288