Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #71 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are welcome. I believe the words used in testimony were "dryer vent" but sleuthers are wondering if that is possible or if would have been the lint trap. Looking for clearer testimony, the AA or someone with dryer mechanics expertise to clarify that.

Thank you for that as well. here is my source, which can vary depending on reporter. Just for the sake of clarity, i'm trying to keep them straight.
Sydnee Stelle

@SydneeStelle

Replying to
@SydneeStelle
When he came home, his phone shows that he moved around his house in a pattern. He said he was shooting chipmunks. They found a tranquilizer dart in the dryer trap of the Morphew home. At 2:47 p.m., his phone goes into airplane mode. It doesn't come back online until 10:17 p.m.
https://twitter.com/SydneeStelle/status/1425142114195812356?s=20

Last edited:
“Drunk Eyes” comment by BM really is strange. He could not have seen this last picture of SM sunbathing until after LE found the JL texts in November 2020 and showed him. @NoSI says she looked beautiful and glowing in this pic. So why is that his comment when he sees a picture of his missing wife months later? So weird.

Was she drinking IPA’s that day and he vividly recalls this day and it angered him. Makes me wonder how long he actually had been watching her sunbathing and if this is why it was brought up in court about the sending of nude pics between SM and JL. Were those nudes from that day and Barry witnessed this? Something angered him about that picture of her for him to say “Drunk Eyes” to the very last photo taken of his missing wife alive.
He might have had an app that mirrored her phone activity. I speculate BM saw the photo SM had sent to J L , in real time.
Then BM lost it.

He raced back to the house and crept around the sides. Maybe taking a loaded gun from his truck.

JMO,MOO

Yes, that and any soil samples that could lead them to the area where he hid her remains.
Yes, if he listens to forensic files, those shows are full of cases with soil profiles, as well as a case with a bike rider who went missing. Fotis Dulos taught him the trash dumping. Wonder who inspired the 26 second video plea, tranquilzer dart and failed job alibi?

Suzanne hasn't been found and no apparent crime scene, so maybe he followed the Heather Elvis case.

I cannot get caught up, I think I'm still two threads behind, but has anyone got an updated Google map with all of the trash dumps?

This thing has gotten so convoluted I'm trying to cross reference Tweets and figure out where Barry has gotten to. I'm willing to host a case wiki if anyone wants to help aggregate all of the new and confirmed info.

There is a hot tub. Is there a pool? According to what was said in court re Suzanne's last text messages to JL, when Barry came home, Suzanne was laying out by the pool?
I'm looking back at reports, so far it says she was "sun bathing". I don't see anything so far mentioned about a pool. She must've been sun bathing by the hot tub...

GPS. The car's location is recorded in the module, so that the independent sensors on the doors (etc) are coordinated with locations.

So that you can get OnStar help or similar or reconstruct an accident, etc.

OK. But we know that 3 hours before the reset, the truck arrived at Puma Path, so I'm still not seeing where there is a 12-hour gap in data prior to the reset.

I’m of the opinion right now he tranquilized her and after the chase put her in the hot tub to drown (subject to change as always). In this way, he in his sociopathic mind, did not actually kill her outright as he didn’t have to hold her down physically because she was so incapacitated. Although I do feel he sat there and made sure she would not get out. I am thinking because he was so religious, killing another human would be frowned upon by “his maker”. In this way he does not feel the guilt of taking her life with his own hands directly.

If what is true from spa store employees, between 4-5:30 he then made his way calmly to the pool store to get the chemicals to erase what had happened. He could only do this if he had somehow convinced himself that all of this was done “to save one life”. Crazy but I can’t see how else he could move on and do the next things he did to continue his plan. Hopefully we will hear more on this in a few weeks. All JMO.

One thing about this -- he was apparently also asking them to schedule to come out to the house for a hot tub repair -- if SM was drowned in the tub just 1-2 hours before, this seems like such a risky move on BM's part. What if the spa guy said "Hey, I have some time right now, I can pop over and take a look."?

I could be completely off with my memory of it being close to their property. Is that intersection close to Puma Path at all??

Yes, it's quite close to Puma Path and is the main (or only) route to get to Puma Path and their neighbors' homes.

MOO

Thank you for that as well. here is my source, which can vary depending on reporter. Just for the sake of clarity, i'm trying to keep them straight.
Sydnee Stelle

@SydneeStelle

Replying to
@SydneeStelle
When he came home, his phone shows that he moved around his house in a pattern. He said he was shooting chipmunks. They found a tranquilizer dart in the dryer trap of the Morphew home. At 2:47 p.m., his phone goes into airplane mode. It doesn't come back online until 10:17 p.m.
https://twitter.com/SydneeStelle/status/1425142114195812356?s=20
Until we see the AA, we may not know. Since it was not streamed, those in the courtroom had to tweet fast so exact words are debatable. Which is too bad. We are all working with less info because the judge sealed the AA.

Has anyone done a summary post about main things that were learned over the last 2 days? Wasn’t able to listen and won’t make it through 50+ pages of reading. If so, link me please.
@Niner and @OldCop have great summaries up the *MEDIA. MAPS and TIMELINES *NO DISCUSSION* linked on page 1 of every thread. Also Lauren Scarf, KKTV. Forgive me if I have forgotten other good MSM
Link to MM &T on page 1
CO - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #71 *ARREST*

OK. But we know that 3 hours before the reset, the truck arrived at Puma Path, so I'm still not seeing where there is a 12-hour gap in data prior to the reset.

One thing about this -- he was apparently also asking them to schedule to come out to the house for a hot tub repair -- if SM was drowned in the tub just 1-2 hours before, this seems like such a risky move on BM's part. What if the spa guy said "Hey, I have some time right now, I can pop over and take a look."?

Yes, it's quite close to Puma Path and is the main (or only) route to get to Puma Path and their neighbors' homes.

MOO

Thanks! @Auntie Cipation

Ok there were a couple of people who responded positively for a simplified time-line so here is what I came up with. This is just for May 9th and 10th. I used multiple Twitter accounts to make this. I've tried my best to keep things within a minute or two as it seems there are tiny discrepancies in exact times between different reports. Please keep that in mind. I've made a few notes where times were not exact. Things may have happened before May 9th and 10th but I didn't included them here to keep things simple. Some of the quotes are not exact and may be a summation of what was said in court.

Suzphone= Suzanne's phone
Barphone= Barry's phone

May 9

12:02am- Incoming call to Suzphone

1:00am

2:17am- Outgoing call from Suzphone

3:00am-5:00am

6:00am- Barphone is active or turned on

7:00am-9:00am

9:50am- Barry texts Suzphone : " Wanna go on a Hike"
9:52am- Suzphone : "Where?"

10:36am- Suzphone to Barphone: " Meet to hike?"
10:48am-Barphone to Suzphone: " No coming home"
10:48am- Suzphone to Barphone: " Get hot tub stuff"

11:30am-ish LUNCH at the Morphew home. Vegetable Soup

11:50- Barphone PINGS near river behind the home. Barry explains this as" I was looking for a turkey that MM had shot some time ago"

12:00pm

12:50pm to 2pm Barry gets blade replaced for Bobcat***

{ ***My note: Things get a little confusing here as different reporters said different things so I'm not 100% sure here. One report said Barry left the home for an errand. One report said he went to get blade replaced }

1:42pm- Suzanne is messaging Libler while sunbathing on LinkedIn

2:11pm- Suzanne and Libler switch to What's App*** Suzanne sends selfie of herself sunbathing

**** Not sure about this.

2:43pm- Barry arrives at home. Barphone pings show that the phone made some kind of pattern movement around the outside of home.
2:47pm- Barry puts phone in Airplane Mode

3:00pm

4:44pm- Barry's truck door opens and closes

5:33pm- Truck computer is disconnected and re-booted

6:00pm-9:00pm

9:24pm Barry's truck moves backward in the driveway 96 feet

9:56pm- Passenger door opens and closes

10:17pm- Barry's phone is turned back ON

11:00-12:00pm Nothing to report

MAY10th

12:00-2:00am- Nothing to report

2:53am- Outgoing call from Suzphone

3:25am- Barry's truck door opens and closes

3:58am- Barry's phone goes in a straight line to where Road 225 and Hwy 50 intersect. This is close to where Suzanne's bike was found. However experts can't say that Barry's phone was moving to the exact spot where the bike was found.

4:10-4:22am- Suzanne's phone registers it's last " Ping ". The signal is far from the Morphew house.

4:31am- Barphone is back at the home and is turned 'off' by turning on Airplane Mode
a
5:37am- Barphone is back on and heading toward Buena Vista
5:38am- Barphone texts to Barry's mother " Shirley, Happy Mother's Day"

6:56am- Barphone texts Suzanne " You up? Happy Mother's Day"

7:00am

8:11am- Barry stops at RTD Bus stop in Broomfield off of HWY 36. Barry's truck driver's and passenger doors open. Barry tells investigators that he threw something away at a trash can. GARBAGE STOP #1

8:25am-ish- Barry arrives at the Holiday Inn parking lot in Broomfield. The doors of the truck open and close again. Barry says he threw out some more garbage. GARBAGE STOP #2.

8:38am- Barry goes to hotel room. He brings with him: Hiking boots, a teal-covered piece of clothing, a darker black piece of clothing & a light blue bag. This is all on a security cam.

8:41am- Barry texts Suzanne " Made it to Broomfield". He leaves the room in a different shirt then he went in with. SHIRT CHANGE #1

9:12am- Barphone shows he drove past the worksite in Broomfield. He stops at a McDonald's. He is seen putting things into a trashcan. GARBAGE STOP #3 Surveillance cam shows Barry pushing object down into can with both hands.

???? Not sure of the exact time here????? Barry goes to a carwash and then drives to a Men's Warehouse. The doors of his truck opened and closed. Barry throws more stuff in the dumpster there. GARBAGE STOP#4 Barry tells investigators that he threw away tranquilizer stuff here. He spends about 41 minutes in the parking lot.

11:30am- Barry calls Suzanne's phone

12:06pm- Barry calls his daughter Mallory.

12:27pm- Morphew is seen on hotel surveillance moving two bags to a dumpster. Among the items he threw out were a camo coat and a tree container. GARBAGE STOP#5

{ My Note: I can't find exact times here for the next couple of hours. There very well be more exact times but from the material I've used for this I don't have them. If someone can point out exact times, I'll edit}

???approx 12:30pm???????- Barry goes back to the hotel. He enters with a messy notebook and then leaves 20 minutes later with the notebook noticeably neater. He has changed shirts. SHIRTCHANGE #2 He then goes to the worksite where he 'works' for about 15-20 minutes.

12:42pm- Barry goes back to his hotel room. He claims he was watching TV.

3:30pm- Barphone texts Suzphone to call him.

5:15pm- Barry gets call from neighbor that Suzanne is missing.
5:55pm- Barry leaves hotel room. He has changed shirts again. SHIRTCHANGE#3

6:00pm- Barry goes to his truck and brings tools to the front desk asking if he could leave the tools there for his work crew.

That's all I have. Hope you find this helpful. I have some thoughts about things but I'll make them in another post.

MOO - On the map shown in court (with the push pins I believe) that showed BM’s movements within the home after it is alleged he shot SM, it was said that the map represents what may have been BM chasing SM around the home until she was rendered unconscious from the tranquilizer dart.

I actually think it was just BM’s rapid movements of adrenaline in engaging the coverup of his act. I do believe it was likely SM was shot while outside sunbathing shortly after her last selfie, and was caught unaware. Even if she stumbled to react, I don’t feel she would have gotten too far before becoming immobile. Had there been a chase around and in the house between SM and BM, I think there may have been some sort of evidence to a struggle. Maybe something broken that shouldn’t be; things of that nature.

What I would look for on that map (especially in the hour after he got home) are the following:

-Did BM go into Mallory’s room? (Stripping of sheets to wrap SM’s body)
-How many times did he go into the garage?
-Did he go into the laundry room?
-How many times did he go in and out of the back patio door area?
-Did he go near the security system box where it was discovered the cords had been disconnected?
-Did he spend time wherever the home computer was located? (Possibly booking the HIE room)

I had read a post that compared the use of a tranquilizer to a scene from the movie What Lies Beneath. In the movie Harrison Ford uses a tranquilizer to subdue his wife and then puts her in a bath tub to drown. I strongly feel this is the first part of what happened to SM but possibly in the hot tub instead of bath tub. I hate to admit, but it’s clever in that it explains no blood being found in the home. BM then likely used the bedsheets to wrap SM’s body in for concealment and transport out of the home. I feel extra chlorine tabs were used to clean up any bodily excretions within the water/tub. Faced with his wet clothes (and towels if used for cleanup and/or bedsheets), he likely put everything on a dry cycle, hence the discover of a forgotten dart cap in the drying machine.

MOO
Apologies in advance for yet another lengthy post but I think it’s important info to be aware of. There’s a lot in here and it would require many links to document it all so I’m only offering it as MOO. Tech changes rapidly. Come this time next year we may be talking about how the hyper accuracy of Apple AirTags figure into an investigation.

I think the positional data presented in the PH (probably from SW’s to pull from cell tower records and BM’s phone’s location services) is fine for the purposes of the PH. But I don’t think it will fly in quite the same way at trial. (I really doubt they went over any of the technical details during the hearing but, since we were living by tweet, who knows?)

The positional systems used with cell phones — GPS and cell tower triangulation — are simply incapable of precisely locating someone — indoors or outdoors. Currently, those systems can place someone at the scene but that’s about the extent of it. Here’s why…

While GPS data is highly accurate for military apps, air traffic control, etc., the commercial GPS apps that we, the general public, use every day intentionally obfuscate location and position slightly. IMO 30’ to 50’ is the generally accepted degree of accuracy for that data and it depends on the the actual arrangement of the GPS constellation at the moment of measurement and any potential occlusion of the satellites in that constellation. (Those satellites are traveling at 9,000 mph so things are always in flux!) This is especially important indoors where GPS signals are attenuated even further by walls, ductwork, appliances, etc.

With cell towers, on the other hand, the phone needs to receive timing signals from 3 separate towers to identify it’s position on a map. And it needs a timing signal from a fourth tower in order to include elevation data. But position of the towers in relation to the device, signal reflections, interference, and obstructions make the measurement imperfect. Once again, depending on the exact circumstances at the time of measurement, accuracy is at best, 60’ or so. (GPS is currently considered the more accurate technology.)

Cell phones are incredibly smart devices. Apple’s products, for example, amalgamate GPS, cell tower, and wi-fi network signals to provide enhanced location accuracy for various apps and services including “Find My…” Even so, they still only claim accuracy to 20 meters because so many things can interfere with an accurate location measurements no matter how they are calculated.

These measurement errors result in a device appearing to drift over time. You can probably see it for yourself if you turn on “Find My…” to view the location of your phone or iPad. I live on the side of a small mountain (large hill?) with Verizon service that will occasionally drop calls since we’re in the radio shadow under the ridge-top towers. When I misplace my phone, I can get a pretty good feel for if it’s in my car in the garage or if it’s in the bedroom at the other end of the house. But it may present as being in the middle of one side yard or the other. Or in the middle of the house. And it’s not at all clear if it’s upstairs or in the basement. But it’s good enough for me to find it.

We don’t know how many towers were providing timing to BM’s phone when he was bopping around the yard “shooting chipmunks” or how solid and consistent those timing signals were. We don’t know what the GPS signals looked like. But his moving at 38mph from point A to point B may have been him dashing about like Usain Bolt or it may just be signal drift and the phone constantly giving it’s new best estimate of it’s location. My money is on drift — he crouched behind a big rock, it attenuated signals, the location calculation changes. As he circles the house, the location calculation changes and it may show him indoors or outdoors. The prosecution knows this. BM probably didn’t and was talking to them without a lawyer. Bad move. It seems the defense also doesn’t know this. But you can bet they will by the time this goes to trial.

What’s important is that the data places BM and SM together — both at the scene after which all signs of life cease for her. That’s what counts. If she was sunning, I’m afraid she may not have been wearing her Apple Watch. But I’m sure hoping she was…

Again, everything above is MOO.

You wouldn’t, but I don’t think that was his claim; I think he was saying that he shot chipmunks (with his 22 using standard ammunition).

You would never shoot one with a tranquilizer dart, and you sure as hell wouldn’t shoot dozens of them with that.

First off, these things are controlled. It’s almost certainly illegal for him to own tranquilizer in the first place.

Secondly, that would be impractical.

Those darts do not have the accuracy of a bullet, and it would almost certainly be fatal to an animal that size (they’re meant for much larger creatures).

Regardless, this didn’t happen. Liar liar, pants on fire.

I'm finding it hard to believe that he used difficult to find and purchase ammo on chipmunks. I mean really, did anyone here try to purchase ammo during 2020 to early 2021, heck even now? Hard to find. I wouldn't waste it on chipmunks. MOO.

Edit: I guess I should add that I never for a second believed that he was shooting squirrels anyway.

Last edited:
Yes, if he listens to forensic files, those shows are full of cases with soil profiles, as well as a case with a bike rider who went missing. Fotis Dulos taught him the trash dumping. Wonder who inspired the 26 second video plea, tranquilzer dart and failed job alibi?

Suzanne hasn't been found and no apparent crime scene, so maybe he followed the Heather Elvis case.

Here is a case where tranquilizer darts were involved in a murder plot. Notably, the case happened in INDIANA.

Police: Missing mom, son had tranquilizer darts, machetes in bizarre murder plot | Fox 59

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooreknowledge