GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 July 2021 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if cause of death was sharp force injuries to face, neck, and torso, does that mean a single one of those injuries didn't alone kill her (like a slash to the neck)? But instead death was likely caused by of the resulting blood loss from the injuries combined, or something? I'm not very familiar with medical examiner report procedure. Post-mortem injuries would not be included in the cause of death, right?

No, it wouldn't be. They would be called as post-mortem injuries/trauma.

Not saying you are incorrect, but can you please provide a link or the source if you wind up recalling? My understanding is that to date the FBI has not confirmed its role to the public. (Nor has APD

There was this from the local CBS affiliate but it was outsider conjecture:
"said CBS46 crime scene expert Sheryl "Mac" McCollum.
She is not involved in the investigation but offered insight and expertise to analyze the case. "It sounds to me like it was a blitz attack. It just happened quick, she never even saw the person coming is what it appears," she said.
McCollum commended APD's choice of requesting the FBI.
"They’ve got profilers, they’ve got a behavioral unit, they can tell us a lot about this killer. The location, what they notice, what they saw," she said. "Was she posed in some way? Where exactly was she stabbed? All of those things are going to matter to the FBI.”

FBI joins investigation into killing of Katherine Janness, her dog in Atlanta park

I truly appreciate your input on here. Very helpful!

What about the Meadow Path that runs behind the Park Tavern and also meets up in the same area where she was found? Does that have lights and is somewhere people might walk at night?

I don’t think it has lights from Piedmont Park (just recalling from memory—I may be wrong.)

But it likely does get some light from the street lights on 10th and maybe some from Grady HS.

Right where it meets Charles Allen it does get more foliage cover and is significantly darker than the majority of the path. Similar to the sidewalk originating closer to Piedmont Road.

Not saying you are incorrect, but can you please provide a link or the source if you wind up recalling? My understanding is that to date the FBI has not confirmed its role to the public. (Nor has APD).

I tried going through my browser history and search history last night but had to give up and go to bed. I did find a transcript from an interview on CNN where they talked to a retired officer from APD and he mentioned it, but that's not where I originally saw the information.

CNN.com - Transcripts

It was probably on one of the local MSM sites, because I was checking those and the AJC pretty much every day for awhile. I know on August 3, I asked a reporter on Twitter and he didn't answer me, so I'm guessing I found the answer on or after August 4.

Last edited:
I tried going through my browser history and search history last night but had to give up and go to bed. I did find a transcript from an interview on CNN where they talked to a retired officer from APD and he mentioned it, but that's not where I originally saw the information. It was probably on one of the local MSM sites, because I was checking those and the AJC pretty much every day for awhile. I know on August 3, I asked a reporter on Twitter and he didn't answer me, so I'm guessing I found the answer on or after August 4.

The FBIs involvement was also announced in the DAs press conference. Members of the FBI were present and named in that meeting. Although the specific department has not as yet (as far as I have seen/read) been named.

Piedmont Park is pretty much like a wide open green space in the middle of the city. You can exit anywhere along 10th street, multiple locations on Piedmont and Monroe. You can also enter/exit the park at Amsterdam. My best guess would be that the perpetrator exited near the parking deck area. It is extremely dark over there, heavily wooded, there is a bathroom facility in that area and the trails are super dark as well. I walk the area frequently (well I stopped after this incident) and there are just so many side streets around the park it’s almost overwhelming to think about.

The FBIs involvement was also announced in the DAs press conference. Members of the FBI were present and named in that meeting. Although the specific department has not as yet (as far as I have seen/read) been named.

Knowing me, I looked up the names of the agents who were mentioned and found out what department they work for.

Here's an interesting case (not because I think he was nesc. involved but because of the type of random transients that can be found in many major cities).
A fairly recent stabbing in Piedmont Park:
News List | Atlanta Police Department
The suspects name in the case is "Andre Ruddock". The name Ruddock, Okang Andre and same approx DOB can be found in multiple arrests in different states.
A vast majority of the homeless/transients are harmless and many are good people that have fallen on hard times. However, there is a subsegment with unaddressed mental health conditions that may increase their propensity towards violence, so it it best to be overly cautious at night when in an area where you may encounter them.

I grew up in this area and I’ve seen homeless people act pretty erratically. And rudely. All within a couple miles of Piedmont Park. I’ve had a homeless person reach into my car to grab money, I’ve had several get angry when I refused to give them money, I think it’s actually a pretty big problem here in Metro Atlanta. I’m not saying it’s entirely their fault by any means, I’m just stating facts here. I think this person could have been a homeless person with severe mental issues. However, I’m not sure how with that logic, they could escape the FBI and GBI. Sigh.

So the killer stabbed and mutilated Katherine after she was already dead. Injuries to the face, neck, and torso were the cause of death.

Hitting someone in the cervical could potentially result in a complete spinal cord injury which, in turn, could even result in paralysis below the site of injury. But even if that happens, you can still speak, so Katherine could still scream for help. If he caught her off-guard and hit her, as I said, that would mean that she wouldn't have any defensive wounds or injuries. She wouldn't be able to protect herself or her dog.
Just a theory though

1) What I said earlier still seems like the most likely scenario to me, the ME mentioned that injuries to the face, neck, and torso were the cause of death. A neck fracture/spinal cord injury could lead to paralysis and death. Maybe he caught her off-guard and hit her, first in the neck, which caused paralysis. This would make her more vulnerable to other attacks. Then he attacked her in the face and torso. The resulting blood from these injuries caused her untimely death.

2) Any blunt force to the neck can damage vessels, and if you restrict blood flow to the brain it can lead to serious neurological injuries. This could happen as well. But I don't think this was the cause of death.

The percentage of death resulting from the first scenario is somewhere around 30. It's very much possible. Even if that were not the main cause of death, the paralysis would make the job easier for the killer. And there wouldn't be any defense injuries.

When looking through YT videos I found one from 2017... wsb-tv showing an officer chasing man who was accused of exposing himself in Piedmont Park. However, I'm unsure where this camera was located... but it says "Piedmont Park" and is labeled as "surveillance video". Of note, the man was identified as Sheriff Jeff Mann and was charged with indecency and obstruction. I won't link to avoid confusion with this case, but it can be easily found... maybe locals can weigh-in on possible location of the camera.

**Also of note, this surveillance video does contain date and time (including seconds), BUT also shows another look with the date/time removed (I assume was done by wsb-tv to show an unobstructed view??)

When looking through YT videos I found one from 2017... wsb-tv showing an officer chasing man who was accused of exposing himself in Piedmont Park. However, I'm unsure where this camera was located... but it says "Piedmont Park" and is labeled as "surveillance video". Of note, the man was identified as Sheriff Jeff Mann and was charged with indecency and obstruction. I won't link to avoid confusion with this case, but it can be easily found... maybe locals can weigh-in on possible location of the camera.
I looked it up and it was reportedly a home surveillance camera video, although they didn't give a location. That's something I hadn't considered... all the home surveillance footage possible along the park's boundary.

Is there any report of Katie having gone by work the night of the 28th?

The reason I ask is because Henry’s is on the same side of the street as Carribou Coffee…why would she cross the street in front of Henry’s only to cross back again a few blocks up?

However, if she took a route that took her in front of Campagnolo (her work) it would put her exactly at that crosswalk.

Another thing that has me thinking this is the angle of the Bowies body at the rainbow crosswalk. Bowie is facing straight ahead, as if he’s been walking straight and expects to continue through the crosswalk. However, Katie is angling towards the Flying Biscuit side of Piedmont Ave as if to get on the side of the park.

Once I looked up Henry’s location relative to the rainbow crosswalk her route made no sense. Can someone local explain this…?

EDIT to add pictures.
1st picture is Henry’s and Katie’s direction of travel across the rainbow crosswalk
2nd picture is the same direction of travel but her work as a reference.

Attachments

• 5912D9F5-25D5-40CC-84AB-770AEA040585.jpeg
    5912D9F5-25D5-40CC-84AB-770AEA040585.jpeg
    125.1 KB · Views: 27
  • E2A2A672-00B2-4C1E-ADD4-D9D85D796725.jpeg
    E2A2A672-00B2-4C1E-ADD4-D9D85D796725.jpeg
    127.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

The reason I ask is because Henry’s is on the same side of the street as Carribou Coffee…why would she cross the street in front of Henry’s only to cross back again a few blocks up?

However, if she took a route that took her in front of Campagnolo (her work) it would put her exactly at that crosswalk.

Another thing that has me thinking this is the angle of the Bowies body at the rainbow crosswalk. Bowie is facing straight ahead, as if he’s been walking straight and expects to continue through the crosswalk. However, Katie is angling towards the Flying Biscuit side of Piedmont Ave as if to get on the side of the park.

Once I looked up Henry’s location relative to the rainbow crosswalk her route made no sense. Can someone local explain this…?
I've been looking at this, too, and when you combine it with the timeline of being at Henry's between 11-11:30, then the crosswalk a block and a half away, going south to north at 12:09, I have to assume she went somewhere south of Henry's first. I'm also still perplexed why she wasn't caught on camera crossing CA Drive within the park if she'd taken either 10th st. or the park trail running parallel, which does seem the most likely. It appears to all be visible on surveillance. I can't make sense of any of it.

Last edited:

EDIT to add pictures.
1st picture is Henry’s and Katie’s direction of travel across the rainbow crosswalk
2nd picture is the same direction of travel but her work as a reference.
There is a question of why Katie was on the south side of 10th. she had reportedly visited Henry's to see Emma and Henry's is on the north side. So for some reason she crossed. Could be lots of reasons I suppose. Trying to avoid someone or something on the north side so crossed over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member