GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 July 2021 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been looking at this, too, and when you combine it with the timeline of being at Henry's between 11-11:30, then the crosswalk a block and a half away, going south to north at 12:09, I have to assume she went somewhere south of Henry's first. I'm also still perplexed why she wasn't caught on camera crossing CA Drive within the park if she'd taken either 10th st. or the park trail running parallel. It seems to all be visible on surveillance. I can't make sense of any of it.
I agree about the time. There is some missing time between her stopping at Henry's and being caught on the camera at the crosswalk. so she clearly didn't proceed directly from Henry's to the Park. Her and Bowie must have wandered around a little bit first, then headed to the park. As for her not being caught on the camera at the Charles Allen gate, who knows. Perhaps the actual attack occurred a little further in. But that leads me to wonder what was Katie's planned route? Katie was apparently not afraid and often walked late at night. But even I an in shape good sized man would not proceed deep into that park at that time of night.

I guess my point is if she happened to pass by work, maybe she encountered someone that recognized her. That would make me think this isn’t random like I initially suspected.

Then again, LE has only released images of potential witnesses from around the park entrances….no where else. I don’t know….

So the killer stabbed and mutilated Katherine after she was already dead. Injuries to the face, neck, and torso were the cause of death.
RSBM

I haven't read all posts and may have missed it, but how do we know that the killer stabbed and mutilated KJ post-mortem? Could some of the stabs to face/neck/torso that contributed to the cause of death have involved mutilation?

RSBM

I haven't read all posts and may have missed it, but how do we know that the killer stabbed and mutilated KJ post-mortem? Could some of the stabs to face/neck/torso that contributed to the cause of death have involved mutilation?

Since articles and LE said that she was stabbed and mutilated, i'm assuming some of those wounds were post-mortem since the cause of death was ruled out as injuries to the face, neck, and torso by the ME. Check out the statement made by her and some other articles linked at the beginning of this thread.

Is there any report of Katie having gone by work the night of the 28th?

The reason I ask is because Henry’s is on the same side of the street as Carribou Coffee…why would she cross the street in front of Henry’s only to cross back again a few blocks up?

However, if she took a route that took her in front of Campagnolo (her work) it would put her exactly at that crosswalk.

Another thing that has me thinking this is the angle of the Bowies body at the rainbow crosswalk. Bowie is facing straight ahead, as if he’s been walking straight and expects to continue through the crosswalk. However, Katie is angling towards the Flying Biscuit side of Piedmont Ave as if to get on the side of the park.

Once I looked up Henry’s location relative to the rainbow crosswalk her route made no sense. Can someone local explain this…?

EDIT to add pictures.
1st picture is Henry’s and Katie’s direction of travel across the rainbow crosswalk
2nd picture is the same direction of travel but her work as a reference.

I read a couple posts online that said she stopped by work (Campagnolo) sometime before/after Henrys. Whether it was to say hi or pick up a paycheck maybe. Not sure that has not been confirmed, but it would make sense where she was walking.

Last edited:
I read a couple posts online that said she stopped by work (Campagnolo) after leaving Henrys. Whether it was to say hi or pick up a paycheck maybe. Not sure that has not been confirmed, but it would make sense where she was walking.
My understanding is that she is walking on the same side of the street as Henry’s toward Caribou in the crosswalk photo.
Am I mistaken?

My understanding is that she is walking on the same side of the street as Henry’s toward Caribou in the crosswalk photo.
Am I mistaken?
We have a photo at 12:07/:09 taken from the camera atop Flying Biscuit crossing from southwest to northwest of 10th st at Piedmont.
That would be from the Campg side of Piedmont to Caribou (and Henry's) side.
-We still do not know when/where she crossed 10th from Henry's or Piedmont towards the park.

I'm not clear on exactly what time Katie was at Henry's, but by the time she was at the crosswalk at 12:09, she had already been out and about with Bowie for at least a half an hour, maybe more. From there she had something like a mile to home, if she went straight there, which obviously she didn't. Have we heard how far she normally walked Bowie at night?

We have a photo at 12:07/:09 taken from the camera atop Flying Biscuit crossing from southwest to northwest of 10th st at Piedmont.
-We still do not know when/where she crossed 10th from Henry's or Piedmont towards the park.
Agreed. Has LE confirmed that Katie and Bowie were at Henry’s at 11:30? As far as I know, they’ve only stated that Katie/Bowie were at the rainbow crosswalk at 12:09pm, and then found murdered (911 call) at 1am or so. LE wants surveillance from 10:30pm on. We can’t know for sure where Katie and Bowie were during that entire period. They could have walked home and back, or around the neighborhood during that time frame. I wish LE would release her phone/text records, or more surveillance footage, anything.

Agreed. Has LE confirmed that Katie and Bowie were at Henry’s at 11:30? As far as I know, they’ve only stated that Katie/Bowie were at the rainbow crosswalk at 12:09pm, and then found murdered (911 call) at 1am or so. LE wants surveillance from 10:30pm on. We can’t know for sure where Katie and Bowie were during that entire period. They could have walked home and back, or around the neighborhood during that time frame. I wish LE would release her phone/text records, or more surveillance footage, anything.
I am a bit surprised that LE hasn't released any further photos or video. So I guess that they have identified the people in the previous video/photos. I would love to see more video. Even video of various places that do NOT show Katie/Bowie are valuable since they would show were she was NOT at at relevant times.

So in the crosswalk we see her walking from the direction of where she works toward the flying biscuit. If she then took a left toward Caribou coffee and crossed Over another crosswalk. The one from the flying biscuit to Caribou coffee she could have been walking back to Henri’s?

So in the crosswalk we see her walking from the direction of where she works toward the flying biscuit. If she then took a left toward Caribou coffee and crossed Over another crosswalk. The one from the flying biscuit to Caribou coffee she could have been walking back to Henri’s?
In that photo she is crossing 10th south to north and seems to be angling a bit to the east to cross Piedmont. She is headed in the direction of the park. Henry's would be to the west. She likely continued east on 10th to the park or up Piedmont and entered the park at 11th or 12th.

In that photo she is crossing 10th south to north and seems to be angling a bit to the east to cross Piedmont. She is headed in the direction of the park. Henry's would be to the west. She likely continued east on 10th to the park or up Piedmont and entered the park at 11th or 12th.
This is what I have thought for almost the last two weeks. And it is the most likely explanation that she walked to The area where she was attacked.

This is what I have thought for almost the last two weeks. And it is the most likely explanation that she walked to The area where she was attacked.
Yes. I think she walked from the crosswalk directly to the park. I don't think it really matters which path she took, other than to see if any video captured her or someone following her. Considering a somewhat leisurely walk, with the dog stopping to sniff anything and everything, that would put her at the Charles Allen gate around 12:30 a.m. The jogger is there at 12:46. I think the attack occurred in-between those times. The jogger has talked to police. I'd love to know what he told them.

Consider this: if you were out for a walk at 12:09am and you were one or two blocks away from where your significant other was getting off work as soon as the staff finish cleaning up after they close at midnight. Where would you be walking to? Back towards the park? Or towards your girlfriend? It is after midnight you’ve already been out for about an hour walking the dog. Whether or not your girlfriend has a car at work you’re probably going to walk to where she works and go home with her.

No one has doubted the FBI is involved in the investigation this has been known since the Police Chief announced it and his reasons why. The question is it because of a very specific reason related to the crime or more generally because APD is asking for help in anything high profile out of the ordinary given their case load and the rocketing murder rate in Atlanta (and threats of succession from their ritziest neighborhood).
We have no specific confirmation of what the FBI's role has been. So imho jumping to conclusions that it is because it is a serial killer or hate crime is premature (and the Mayor in fact said there had been is no evidence to support such yet).

Consider this: if you were out for a walk at 12:09am and you were one or two blocks away from where your significant other was getting off work as soon as the staff finish cleaning up after they close at midnight. Where would you be walking to? Back towards the park? Or towards your girlfriend? It is after midnight you’ve already been out for about an hour walking the dog. Whether or not your girlfriend has a car at work you’re probably going to walk to where she works and go home with her.
See, that element is knocking around in my head, too. Or at least head home, maybe, if Emma had driven and Katie wanted to walk. IDK...I feel like something went amiss that we don't know about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle