Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #72 *ARREST*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
SM's Green Dot a/c?
https://twitter.com/ashleykktv/status/1425125041377796096?s=21
Defense now asking SA Harris about a statement sent to #SuzanneMorphew email about her alleged secret bank account. It was a GreenDot account. Defense says you can access the account and withdraw money without having to go to a bank. @KKTV11News
https://twitter.com/greg_nieto/status/1425125461508591618?s=21
Defense asking Agent Harris about #SuzanneMorphew opening up a possible...separate...on-line...bank account: “Green Dot.”

https://twitter.com/jamiealeary/status/1425127869059985409?s=21
Agent Harris didn't personally investigate secret bank account & is unaware if any other member of law enforcement did. Defense ends questioning, preosecution steps up for redirect- asks agent Harris about Barry looking at Ashley Madison. @CBSDenver #SuzanneMorphew #BarryMorphew
@Cindizzi Thanks for your post w tweets about SM's "secret" a/c's.

When trying to think thru possibilities about how SM could deposit cash (hypothetically?) from the garage safe to a Green Dot* a/c, initially I assumed it could not be done. Wrong!
A holder of a pre-paid debit card can deposit cash at many retailers thru out the US - by paying a $ 5.95 "cash re-load" fee to add to debit card balance.**

I wonder if we'll learn more deets about SM's Green Dot a/c & transactions & timing, esp'ly when she opened the a/c (or did I miss it?). Later this month or at trial? Seems she took steps to leave BM. Wish it had worked for her and the dau's. my2ct

I'm vaguely familiar Green Dot, as a payments platform company & one of the world's largest prepaid debit card co's. W no money mkt funds, no CD's, I think of it as a quasi-bank, altho the co calls itself a "branchless bank."
* Green Dot Corporation - Wikipedia
** Add Cash: Green Dot
https://www.greendot.com/content/dam/greendot/legal/about/docs/cardholderagreement-fsc.pdf

<modsnip>

But now that we know that 5 dump stops were made, I think that is likely what was privately known and being alluded to.

Was Suzanne disposed of in those 5 dump stops? I hope not, I hope she was buried more 'respectfully'. And perhaps with a marker of some kind.
But I am somewhat afraid that the biological evidence that they speak of may be traces of Suzanne's fluids/DNA in a dumpster(s).

Last edited by a moderator:
SM's Green Dot a/c?
@Cindizzi Thanks for your post w tweets about SM's "secret" a/c's.

When trying to think thru possibilities about how SM could deposit cash (hypothetically?) from the garage safe to a Green Dot* a/c, initially I assumed it could not be done. Wrong!
A holder of a pre-paid debit card can deposit cash at many retailers thru out the US - by paying a $ 5.95 "cash re-load" fee to add to debit card balance.**

I wonder if we'll learn more deets about SM's Green Dot a/c & transactions & timing, esp'ly when she opened the a/c (or did I miss it?). Later this month or at trial? Seems she took steps to leave BM. Wish it had worked for her and the dau's. my2ct

I'm vaguely familiar Green Dot, as a payments platform company & one of the world's largest prepaid debit card co's. W no money mkt funds, no CD's, I think of it as a quasi-bank, altho the co calls itself a "branchless bank."
* Green Dot Corporation - Wikipedia
** Add Cash: Green Dot
https://www.greendot.com/content/dam/greendot/legal/about/docs/cardholderagreement-fsc.pdf
MOO
Gave her the ability for her to have her own card.

SM's Secret A/c?
Perhaps an interest transfer (made overnight as bank interest and bank fees frequently are) from her funds management account into her Green Dot account?
At some point, Suzanne set up a secret Green Dot bank account as well as an account with a fund management company, Compass Management. The FBI agent on the stand, Ken Harris, said he didn’t follow up on these accounts.
Prosecutors Outline Barry And Suzanne Morphew's Movements On Days Around Her Disappearance
@SouthAussie bbm Good thought about possibility of an auto. transfer to SM's Green Dot a/c.

A quick search found numerous "Compass Management" companies, some handling "property management" which sounded like real estate (rental properties?) to me. my2ct.

I am more interested in the funds management account, as these are typically for larger sums of money.
I think there was financial motivation in this murder ... and I am interested to know what kind of money Suzanne may have had in a funds management account, and was this secret money that she was able to squirrel away from inheritance?
I say this because sometimes inheritance money comes through in separate bundles. There may be an immediate release of money from inherited term deposit accounts or such. Then there may be another later release of money from the sale of an inherited house or properties.
(A friend just went through this ... two separate releases of inherited money.)
@SouthAussie bbm
Re bbm, yes, seems likely imo that Compass Management had larger a/c balance than Green Dot a/c.
Did I miss the actual name of this company? Anyone? TiA.

With respect to PaulaDC, I'm just quoting your post because it's recent.

Is it just me or are others getting tired of CM's "5". I think he could have suggested "2" or "7" and something could be made of it in hindsight.

If CM had something to say about his famous 5 - he should have said it. Since he didn't say what he was talking about, it's just a guess that carries no more weight than me or anyone else suggesting a random number.

JMO

Agreed!! He's changed his narrative about what it meant several times.

“ fire fighting training “?
@Herat
A Walmart? In Salida, Broomfield, or elsewhere? Anyone?
Sorry if already discussed or if obvious.
I take this to mean Salida. He was apparently wearing a Chaffee firefighter shirt, and when the clerk asked him what he was doing for Mother’s Day, he responded with “firefighter training.”

Killing. Passion or Planned?
....This is why I tell you that he planned this kill before moving to Salida.
The DA wants to prove it was passion in the moment but I disagree. He wanted her money. Her mother was married to a Dr at the time. He knew there'd be riches.
Barry planned for everything except not being believed by LEO....
@DeDee sbm bbm

DA. Does post use abbreviation "DA" to refer to Defense Atty or to District Atty? TiA.

Sorry for bring dense. Time for me to sign off for the night.

@SouthAussie bbm
Re bbm, yes, seems likely imo that Compass Management had larger a/c balance than Green Dot a/c.
Did I miss the actual name of this company? Anyone? TiA.

Prosecutors Outline Barry And Suzanne Morphew's Movements On Days Around Her Disappearance

AUGUST 11, 2021

In September of 2019, Suzanne’s best friend, Shelia Oliver advised Suzanne that she should begin tucking away money to be able to live on her own. At some point, Suzanne set up a secret Green Dot bank account as well as an account with a fund management company, Compass Management. The FBI agent on the stand, Ken Harris, said he didn’t follow up on these accounts.

Colorado dad charged with murdering wife found her texts with lover, prosecutors say

AUGUST 10, 2021

Defense attorneys alleged in court Tuesday that Suzanne Morphew also had a secret bank account, which received money on April 23, 2020, at 4:31 a.m.

Killing. Passion or Planned?
@DeDee sbm bbm

DA. Does post use abbreviation "DA" to refer to Defense Atty or to District Atty? TiA.

Sorry for bring dense. Time for me to sign off for the night.

All of us are exhausted, right? Alpine, I was referring to Linda Stanley, the DA or District Attorney of Chaffee County.

For some reason, I use D for representing the defense as I'd seen others use D in that manner in these threads.

A news article, posted in the thread earlier, stated that the DA was opting for Barry seeing Suzanne sending messages to JL. When Barry realized it, he killed her.

I disagree with that premise. I've always believed Barry wanted to be rid of Suzanne for at least two years and not simply in that one moment on Saturday before Mother's Day when Suzanne was communicating with JL.

Isn't Mass Guy's point that BM supposedly spent time with his wife on Saturday. That everything was hunkydory between them. So why the comment 'she LOOKS drunk'. If he was actually there with her for hours - part of the morning, most of the afternoon, all of the evening and overnight until 5am - surely he would know first hand if she had been drinking enough to be drunk.
I think he made that comment to deflect from his real emotions. Of course he would have known if she was drunk. Maybe he was pretending it was the first time he saw it. If he had come home and discovered Suzanne had just sent a sexy picture of herself to her lover he may have exploded into a jealous rage.

Even if he had never seen the picture he should have had some sort of emotional reaction when they showed it to him. Instead he insults her by saying she has drunk eyes. His wife sends another man a picture of herself in her bathing suit with bedroom eyes and all he can say is that she looks drunk?

I hope we get to hear more of that conversation.

I think he is so proud of his cleverness that he MUST have some memorial of it, some remembrance, some marked tree or rock, godforbid some photo or video.

Something to remind him of how smart and clever he was and how he conquered evil and saved his fortune from his "unfaithful" wife.

I just get the feeling there is a kind of a trophy of some sort somewhere.
I suspect Suzanne’s rings were the “trophy.” I wonder what he did with them? Was she even wearing them anymore?

I'm not challenging it at all. I'm just curious about whether SM was actually sunbathing at that moment or if something else could have been up. It might put a different spin on it, if, say, it was a shot from a time she and SL had enjoyed together.
But it sounds as though it's not technically possible for that photo to have been taken unless SM had actually been sunbathing in that moment.

It seems odd to me to be sunbathing in early May in Colorado.

So, now, after a little search, I have historical weather data. Gunnison, CO Weather History | Weather Underground On May 9 at Gunnison-Crested Butte Airport, the max temperature was 64 degrees F at 3-6ish in the pm. (The program jumps to that location for historical data.), with a max wind speed of 21 mph. I don't think I'd be out there sunbathing.

While I was looking at that, in case this is relevant,..... I noticed the temperature was well below freezing at night, i.e. 25 degrees F. It was 25 degrees minimum average the whole of April. This may have presented some challenges if BM was out there digging stuff, because the ground might have been hard. It might also harden up footprints. Gunnison, CO Weather History | Weather Underground I'm not suggesting anyone might find the footprints (although they might), but more that BM might be paranoid about them.
Well isn't that a horse of a different color. I just looked at the stats myself and I wouldn't be out in a swimsuit on that day, especially without a 'functioning, cleaned, properly clorinated hot tub' to immerse myself in.

Isn't Mass Guy's point that BM supposedly spent time with his wife on Saturday. That everything was hunkydory between them. So why the comment 'she LOOKS drunk'. If he was actually there with her for hours - part of the morning, most of the afternoon, all of the evening and overnight until 5am - surely he would know first hand if she had been drinking enough to be drunk.
Yep.

Really more of a last dig at the *B* that ruined all his plans. It's just such a nasty thing to say about the "angel" you supposedly loved.
HA! Yes, it's HER fault he got caught! Never thought of it that way. His ire and bile should only increase from here on in.
Have at it, Barry! Show the jury who you REALLY are. hehehe....

I think he made that comment to deflect from his real emotions. Of course he would have known if she was drunk. Maybe he was pretending it was the first time he saw it. If he had come home and discovered Suzanne had just sent a sexy picture of herself to her lover he may have exploded into a jealous rage.

Even if he had never seen the picture he should have had some sort of emotional reaction when they showed it to him. Instead he insults her by saying she has drunk eyes. His wife sends another man a picture of herself in her bathing suit with bedroom eyes and all he can say is that she looks drunk?

I hope we get to hear more of that conversation.
yeah total deflection, 180 from what he really thinks.

Mad as hell that HIS WIFE is looking at another man the way she used to look at him.

That moment he knew she had both feet firmly out the door.

Nothing left to salvage.
almost nothing.......except MONEY...

And she wasn't havin ANY of it. True hatred to not share a lifetime of worth earned together.

moo

Reposting the timeline @OldCop and I are working on from the hearing
UPDATE 8/12/21 <rsbm>

5/9
10:48 am SM: Get hot tub stuff

1:38 pm BM left home- checked on job at Kim Gyms

1:55 pm BM at DSI

2:00 pm BM getting blade replaced on Bobcat

2:44 pm BM returned home

Note : we are looking for the tweets about the notebooks and then we will add it to the media thread
I'm really behind catching up so if I repeat anything already discussed since you posted this apologies.

I was looking for the bobcat tweet and discovered this one which differs from LS's tweet (BBM) -

Russell Haythorn
@RussellHaythorn

·
10 Aug

Replying to
@RussellHaythorn
Court back in session for #BarryMorphew preliminary hearing. Third witness to take the stand is former FBI agent Johnny Grusing who says he interviewed Barry several times in the days and weeks following Suzanne's disappearance.

Russell Haythorn
@RussellHaythorn

·
10 Aug

Grusing testifies that #BarryMorphew sought information about purchasing a backhoe attachment and a new blade for his Bobcat on May 9, the day before Suzanne disappeared.

- - -

I'm not sure what DSI is. I think given the timings here and his travelling time, seeking information could be more likely than an actual blade replacement.

Also, does anyone know for definite what "hot tub stuff" is? Could it be snacks and drinks, as opposed to chemicals? It's quicker to write chlorine.

Another also - I vaguely remember Barry saying, perhaps to LS, about forgetting to tell LE about something (mechanical?) he did to the bobcat. I'm wondering if he was talking about the system reboot of the truck. Different vehicle but perhaps lying to LS.

I've seen Lauren's tweet about the notebook, do you still need it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
desalwy206