Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #72 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I take this to mean Salida. He was apparently wearing a Chaffee firefighter shirt, and when the clerk asked him what he was doing for Mother’s Day, he responded with “firefighter training.”
Makes me wonder again if he took her somewhere he had been during his training or if he used something from the training centre?

Reposting the timeline @OldCop and I are working on from the hearing
UPDATE 8/12/21

5/5
SM drives MM2 to Gunnison to meet MM1 for camping trip

5/6
SM texts BM: I’m done, be civil etc.
BM texts suicidal messages which he deletes (recovered by LE)

5/7
7:27 SM messages JL about how magical past days were
Continues to message him throughout the day.
4:43 SM tells BM she has been studying all day and is making veggie stew for dinner.

5/8
7:02 am SM writes list of 50 reasons why she wanted to leave marriage on Notes
9:28 am SM texts sister: BM abusive physically and emotionally.
10:55 am BM texts SM I Love You, Suzanne

Friday night: BM picks up takeout at Moonlight Pizza

5/9
12:02 am incoming call on SM’s phone(d)
2:07 am outgoing call on SM’s phone (d)
6:00 am BM’s phone received call (d)
7:19 am BM’s cell received signal
9:50 am BM text to SM: Want to go on hike?
9:52 am SM to BM, Where? (No response) Later on, asking about summer tires on Range Rover
10:36 am SM to BM : Wanna meet to hike?
10:48 am BM: No, coming home
10:48 am SM: Get hot tub stuff
11:00 am BM at Tail Winds property
11:30 am Veggie soup at home with SM
11:50 am-12:50 pm BM cell ping near river
behind house. BM said looking for turkey that daughter shot some time before.
1:38 pm BM left home- checked on job at Kim Gyms
1:42 pm SM text to JL: Guess who is alone again?
1:55 pm BM at DSI
2:00 pm BM getting blade replaced on Bobcat
2:03 pm SM sends sunbathing pic to JL. Last proof of life.
2:11 pm last LinkedIn message with JL
2:44 pm BM returned home
JL sends several texts, no response
2:47 pm BM’s phone goes to airplane mode
2:44-2:47 pm BM moving around outside house, BM shooting chipmunks?
2:44-4:44 pm Truck doesn’t move
4:44 pm BM truck door opens/closes
4:44-9:25 pm AA pge 6 truck stays in same loc
4:00-5:30 pm (sometime) Defense says BM in Salida Stove and Spa
5:30 pm BM truck system rebooted
9:25 pm Truck gear goes into reverse and goes back 95 feet in driveway
9:52 pm truck door closes
10:17 pm BM phone out of airplane mode

5/10
2:53 am Outgoing call on SM’s phone
3:26 am BM car door opened and closed
3:58 am BM cell moves from home to near 225/50 where bike found
4:30 am last phone ping SM off Poncha Springs tower
4:31 am BM phone into airplane mode
5:37 am BM phone off airplane mode heading towards Buena Vista
5:38 am BM texts Happy Mother’s Day to his mom
6:56 am BM texts Happy Mother’s Day to SM
8:10 am Car door opened at RTD bus stop in Broomfield off Hwy 36 - Trash drop #1
8:20 am BM parks on south side of HIE away from cameras, throws things in trash - Drop #2
8:25 am BM enters hotel in long sleeve shirt carrying clothes, (teal and black colored), hiking boots, light blue plastic bag
8:38 am BM goes to room changes clothing
8:41 am BM texts SM that he arrived
9:12 am BM leaves hotel, wearing blk v neck, hiking boots, carrying different bag, drives by wall, goes to MacDonald’s. Throws things in trash Drop #3
BM then goes to a car wash
BM then goes to Men’s Wearhouse parking lot, spends 40 minutes. Driver & pass doors open and close multiple times. Trash Drop #4

Time? Goes back to room with large notebook with messy papers

Time? Leaves room in a different shirt, gray t shirt, with large notebook and neat papers, 20 minutes later

BM goes to wall and works 11-15 minutes, removed blocks from wall.
11:20 am BM calls SM No answer
12:06 pm BM calls MM1
12:27 pm Trash drop #5 throws away 2 bags, with camo coat, tree container, (tranquilizer material?), in dumpster at HIE. He walks across lot rather than parking near dumpster. BM walks back to hotel with hands in pocket and head down.
12:42-5:55 pm BM in room at HIE
3:39 pm texts SM, asks her to call him
5:15 pm Puma Path neighbor Ritter calls
5:55 pm BM changed shirts again and left hotel room.
6:00 pm BM makes multiple trips in and out of hotel entrance bringing in hand tools including a shovel and rake. Asks front desk if he can leave them for his workers
Note : we are looking for the tweets about the notebooks and then we will add it to the media thread

addition for timeline

[URL='https://twitter.com/LaurenScharfTV']Lauren Scharf

@LaurenScharfTV[/URL]
·
10 Aug

#BarryMorphew had a convo with Janelle and Colton Nebal at the store, according to Neilsen. She is questioning Agent Grusing on his timeline. On May 8, Morphew sent a message to Colton around 1:18 p.m. about getting his hot tub fixed. Asking when he could come out to the home.

I take it OP has never visited Colorado!
I attended University in this gorgeous state and have sunburned my skin in December. The high/low in Salida/Maysville on May 9, 2020 was 70/33.

Weather Whys: Why is the sun more intense at elevation? | FOX21 News Colorado

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/salida/81201/may-weather/332185?year=2020

Agree. I visited family in Colorado (Denver and Vail) the first week of April 2021. Although the high temperatures during the day were only in the mid 60’s, the sun was hot and we kept sunscreen on to keep from burning. We wore shorts and tees every day and were comfortable even with the temperatures only being in the 60’s.

JMO

Last edited:
I wonder why they referred to it as “secret”? Simply because Barry didn’t know about it?

She may have been selling items on Marketplace for pin money. I’d be interested in knowing the balance of this secret account.

I suppose the defense team is using it to support their fantasy scenario where Suzanne was stashing money to head to Ecuador. Or something like that.
Or she was a drug dealer and was abducted then murdered by the cartel. Could be a good defense theory.

Just a general note.
It's important that her affair was a year and a half not two years, because they lived in Colorado for two years.
That 6 months was enough for SM to know the move was not going to fix their mattiage.

Spring 2018 they move to Colorado

Discord continues,
Suzanne says BM away from home works too much, suspects he is seeing women.

Not sure BMs main complaint about Suzanne. Think money or her wanting him home more.

Oct 2018, BM joins Volunteer Fire Department. A big time commitment away from home.

Nov 2018
Suzanne texts Libler.

Jan or Feb 2019 SM and JL secretly meet.

Short story....My daughter's high school BF could not accept a break up. He came to our home while parents were gone. Begged and pleaded with daughter to "talk"....she let him in...he went straight to my bedroom and got my handgun...placed it to his head and sat on her bed....she talked the gun out of his hand...it was a horrifying situation....we came home he was still in her room crying...we called his parents...dad came and picked him up...took him to a special hospital. The reality of that set in...either or both could have died. I transfer that story to Suzanne...There was no getting past or getting over the trauma of Barry introducing a lethal weapon into an argument (threatening to kill himself). He placed that responsibility on Suzanne just as the BF in my personal daughter's story. She could never, ever trust him again after that incident, no matter how much she wanted to. The terror, fear and trauma is permanent. In fact, I would guess that every argument or angry Barry moment triggered that terror in Suzanne all over again.....how she managed to live with those pins and needles is hard to figure. Do not judge her outside relationships...this was a desperate woman whose life was traumatized on a daily basis. The visual of an angry Barry with a handgun...in your face.....that one won't go away.
Agree. There is arguing and then there is over the line.

Year and a half affair. Important as they lived in CO for 2 years.

Irregular patterns can occur tracking someone when they are running around.

DNA on glove compartment not steering wheel.

Libler did asked SM to marry him. MOO they both did not think that would really happen.
I think this is true. It is no coincidence that Suzanne chose a high school classmate to bond with, imo. I think her reflection on her own life choices took her back to that place and time. The fling was a fantasy bowl of ice cream with reality on top. This guy, JL, did not know the magnitude of danger she was in, imo; because he was too busy reaping the benefits of the fantasy, both emotional and physical. I think he, more than she, was living a double life, when you consider the hundreds of hours of communication between them. Suzanne would have eventually chosen someone else...because Barry was never going to give her an amicable divorce. I think there was some "returning to home" in her choices... I can't say that JL contributed to the ultimate outcome, by stringing Suzanne along...but I would like to. Her emotional distraction was a double edged sword....it also took her focus off of the real task at hand....leaving Barry.

I think this is true. It is no coincidence that Suzanne chose a high school classmate to bond with, imo. I think her reflection on her own life choices took her back to that place and time. The fling was a fantasy bowl of ice cream with reality on top. This guy, JL, did not know the magnitude of danger she was in, imo; because he was too busy reaping the benefits of the fantasy, both emotional and physical. I think he, more than she, was living a double life, when you consider the hundreds of hours of communication between them. Suzanne would have eventually chosen someone else...because Barry was never going to give her an amicable divorce. I think there was some "returning to home" in her choices... I can't say that JL contributed to the ultimate outcome, by stringing Suzanne along...but I would like to. Her emotional distraction was a double edged sword....it also took her focus off of the real task at hand....leaving Barry.
Thats completely true.
She needed to move out after the gun threat.
Unfortunately, she was habituated to his escalating outbursts, and sadly, I think her first wish would be that the marriage could be saved, which also slowed her down.

Glad she was not hurt. Terrible.
I have to confess, I struggled with bring LE into the situation...and almost did before even calling his dad. But ulItimately, I was concerned about the boy's future, and wanted his parents to have the opportunity to get professional help. I don't know if that was the best way to handle it. It was a call made in the the moment. I do know the young man now lives in California. So both are alive, and presumably well.

I think Suzanne starting a relationship with JL was a 'safe' choice for her. Someone she knew, who she felt safe with, who she knew would keep their relationship a secret.
I can't imagine being able to pull this off! I wonder how long Barry knew. And I think JL is lucky to be alive! I wonder if Barry knew of someone but wasn't sure who it was.
Barry is trying to say he wasn't aware SM was having an affair <modsnip - no link>

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't imagine being able to pull this off! I wonder how long Barry knew. And I think JL is lucky to be alive! I wonder if Barry knew of someone but wasn't sure who it was.
Barry is trying to say he wasn't aware SM was having an affair <modsnip - no link>
I think he knew as well. My guess is that the spare bedroom was Suzanne's for a while. I doubt they were in the same bedroom for some time....in fact, based upon some of Suzanne's texts to JL toward the end...it appears that they were living almost separate lives in the same house.....fortunately..it was a large one.

• Motive: Wife having affair, wife wants out of relationship, lots of money at stake.
  • Means: Owns landscaping business, plenty of tools and vehicles at his disposal, access to tranquilizer darts.
  • Opportunity: Alone with wife in somewhat secluded residence for a weekend.
The evidence is strong. Any evidential item can be picked at one at a time, but taken together require too much explanation. His own statements indicate deception, some are demonstrably false, and in some cases not rational.

MOO.

D
I take this to mean Salida. He was apparently wearing a Chaffee firefighter shirt, and when the clerk asked him what he was doing for Mother’s Day, he responded with “firefighter training.”
Or a he like to lie at these moments because it boots his ego, he gets 15 seconds of fame.....or
Was this really really planned? We don't know that Wal-Mart date yet do we?

I have to confess, I struggled with bring LE into the situation...and almost did before even calling his dad. But ulItimately, I was concerned about the boy's future, and wanted his parents to have the opportunity to get professional help. I don't know if that was the best way to handle it. It was a call made in the the moment. I do know the young man now lives in California. So both are alive, and presumably well.
Such a scary situation to be in for all of you. Sounds like you did make the right decision and it helped that he seems to have had a caring family as well.

You're a great heart!!! I pray your child is living her best life!!'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members