Found Deceased LA - Avani Cook, 10, non-verbal, missing from backyard, Covington, 14 Aug 2021

GuyfromCanada

Reaction score
***STPSO Looking for Missing Special Needs Child***
St. Tammany Parish Sheriff’s deputies are currently searching a heavily wooded area north of Covington looking for a 10-year-old special needs child, who went missing while playing outside her home in the 25000 block of North Davis Road.

Avani Cook, a white female, who is approximately 4 foot tall and 70 pounds, was playing outside her residence with her mother and dog. Her mother stepped inside for a moment and when she returned, the dog was there but the child was missing. She called 911 shortly after 2:30 p.m. to report the child missing.

The girl is described as having dirty blonde hair and hazel eyes. She is non-verbal and suffers from medical conditions that may inhibit her ability to get around.

STPSO K9 deputies are on scene assisting with the search along with more than 15 deputies on foot and ATV.

Anyone who may see the child in the area, is asked to contact the St. Tammany Parish Sheriff’s Office by calling 911 or (985) 898-2338 immediately.

Public Information Officer - Contact Information
Captain Lance Vitter – 985-809-8225 or lancevitter@stpso.com
Assistant Public Information Officer - Contact Information
Sergeant Suzanne Carboni – 985-809-8227 or suzannecarboni@stpso.com

234641989_4200337730050170_2945672424658510561_n.jpg

MISSING: 10-year-old special needs child disappears from home near heavily wooded area close to Covington | WGNO.com

I also note this: "She is non-verbal and suffers from medical conditions that may inhibit her ability to get around."

If Avani's medical conditions affect her walking, where could she have gone? Looks like her mom went inside for only a minute, and yet Avani was gone by that time but the dog was still there.

For some reason I can't find 25000 North Davis Road on Google Maps. Perhaps it's
25000 Lowe Davis Rd, Covington?
Same here, Guy -- and yes, I see a Lowe Davis Road. Dunno.
I'm also assuming that the area where she and the dog were, is not fenced.
Hoping she's close by, unharmed and not too scared.
Thanks for the thread, Guy. Following and hoping she's found soon and not hurt.

So if you type in 25000 South Davis Road, North Davis Road shows up as well on the map. If this is correct, it is very concerning, so so many ponds!

Attachments

• 5C54A3BF-D0A3-4F68-A5E6-14498C343EC0.jpeg
    5C54A3BF-D0A3-4F68-A5E6-14498C343EC0.jpeg
    24.3 KB · Views: 29
***UPDATE **
St. Tammany Parish Sheriff’s deputies with the Special Operation Division recovered the body of 10 year old, Avani Cook, at approximately 730 this evening. The young girl was located in a near – by pond.
The preliminary investigation indicates, for unknown reasons, the 10 year old walked to the area of the pond and entered it before drowning. The St. Tammany Parish Coroner’s Office responded to the scene and is conducting an investigation, along with Investigators of the Major Crimes Division, into the circumstances surrounding the drowning. At this time, there is no evidence to indicate that this tragic incident is anything other than that.
“This is a horrible tragedy and my sincere condolences and sympathy goes to the family of the young girl lost, and for everyone who was involved with doing all they could to locate her safely. Unfortunately, that was not the case, and the loss of a young precious life affects our entire community. We will all continue to pray that God provides comfort for the family,” Sheriff Randy Smith said in response to the tragic drowning.

238876958_4200788263338450_7920758101314086581_n.jpg

Last edited:
Avani Cook, the 10-year old girl with special needs who wandered away from her Covington-area home Saturday and was found five hours later drowned in a nearby pond, was a happy child beloved by her half-brother and sister, the child's biological mother said Sunday.

Tonia Burkeens said she has hasn't seen her daughter in two years because she has been struggling with addiction. But she recalled her daughter as a loving child who, even though she was non-verbal, brightened every situation.

More at Covington girl, 10, who drowned in pond remembered as bright light, beloved by siblings

I'm confused. If her mother hadn't seen her in two years then who is the mother that she was with just prior to disappearing? MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aishavn
Back