GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 July 2021 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve done a lot of thinking about this case, and I’ve come to the unfortunate conclusions that unless LE is able to extract and sequence DNA from Bowie (or Katie, but from the info that’s been made public it seems like if the attacker left DNA, it was most likely on Bowie), it is unlikely the case will be solved quickly. Over two weeks have passed since the murder and I find it hard to believe that if they had evidence of the killing (i.e., security footage of the attack or a direct witness), they wouldn’t have made an arrest or at least state that they’ve identified person(s) of interest.

My best guess—as others have mentioned elsewhere in this thread—is that right now LE has no solid leads. Either the killer simply got lucky and managed to evade all security cameras or he had prior experience that enabled him to more easily commit the crime unnoticed. The fact that no one has been arrested or charged in connection with the case yet also strongly discounts the theory that a person experiencing homelessness committed the crime since statistically they are 1) more likely to be convicted of a crime (and thus more likely to have their DNA/fingerprints on file) and 2) have fewer access to resources that would allow them to avoid detection from authorities.

It pains me to say, but IMO unless someone tips off LE, I can’t see the depraved individual responsible for taking the lives of Katie and Bowie being brought to justice any time soon.

I will try to find time tomorrow to go take a video walking inside the gate past the bathrooms and the crime scene area to the lake.
Thank you!
If you do, can you please include footage of the crime scene if you're facing west on 10th from the sidewalk ? I may be wrong on this and/or likely there's already been much discussion on this but what if the perp was behind the stone area there, in the shadows and surprises her from behind as she's walking on the sidewalk and pulls her into the shadows there. Seems like a mega dark spot and camera blind spot there. Again apologies if this has already been covered in the thread.

I’ve done a lot of thinking about this case, and I’ve come to the unfortunate conclusions that unless LE is able to extract and sequence DNA from Bowie (or Katie, but from the info that’s been made public it seems like if the attacker left DNA, it was most likely on Bowie), it is unlikely the case will be solved quickly. Over two weeks have passed since the murder and I find it hard to believe that if they had evidence of the killing (i.e., security footage of the attack or a direct witness), they wouldn’t have made an arrest or at least state that they’ve identified person(s) of interest.

My best guess—as others have mentioned elsewhere in this thread—is that right now LE has no solid leads. Either the killer simply got lucky and managed to evade all security cameras or he had prior experience that enabled him to more easily commit the crime unnoticed. The fact that no one has been arrested or charged in connection with the case yet also strongly discounts the theory that a person experiencing homelessness committed the crime since statistically they are 1) more likely to be convicted of a crime (and thus more likely to have their DNA/fingerprints on file) and 2) have fewer access to resources that would allow them to avoid detection from authorities.

It pains me to say, but IMO unless someone tips off LE, I can’t see the depraved individual responsible for taking the lives of Katie and Bowie being brought to justice any time soon.
Sadly, I think you're right. I did read a tweet where they released Katie's body to the family/funeral home this week but they still had Bowie's so maybe there's some hope there. Still, pretty chilling to note re your valid points as given the efficiency of the perpetrator, he knows PP like the back of his hand, which means he's spent a lot time there, which means he likely lives in close proximity.

Last edited:
Thank you!
If you do, can you please include footage of the crime scene if you're facing west on 10th from the sidewalk ? I may be wrong on this and/or likely there's already been much discussion on this but what if the perp was behind the stone area there, in the shadows and surprises her from behind as she's walking on the sidewalk and pulls her into the shadows there. Seems like a mega dark spot and camera blind spot there. Again apologies if this has already been covered in the thread.
Yes I can.

Maybe there will be enough DNA to get a parabon pic.
Parabon NanoLabs - Wikipedia
Do you happen to know how it works if say they do get enough dna but don't get a hit in the LE database? In Ga can they then roll to some of the ancestry sites and narrow down there to at least close family members of the perp if not an exact match?

Do you happen to know how it works if say they do get enough dna but don't get a hit in the LE database? In Ga can they then roll to some of the ancestry sites and narrow down there to at least close family members of the perp if not an exact match?
Unfortunately I don’t know much about DNA. My brain seems to turn off when I see people discussing it. Here are some frequently asked questions about parabon.
From what I understand they can have a “snapshot” of the person in 45 days.
Snapshot Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) - Parabon® Snapshot® DNA Analysis Service

They won't go that route right away.
Ultimately, if stymied they might go and check out Gedmatch to see if a family member has posted their DNA there.
Unfortunately (although some people thing fortunately) Gedmatch now requires every person uploading their DNA to 'opt in' specifically to allow LE to see their DNA profile. Some people won't be bothered so the database is much smaller now than it was a year or two ago.

They won't go that route right away.
Ultimately, if stymied they might go and check out Gedmatch to see if a family member has posted their DNA there.
Unfortunately (although some people thing fortunately) Gedmatch now requires every person uploading their DNA to 'opt in' specifically to allow LE to see their DNA profile. Some people won't be bothered so the database is much smaller now than it was a year or two ago.
Snoopster, do you have any idea how long it would take for the FBI or GBI to get DNA results?

Unfortunately I don’t know much about DNA. My brain seems to turn off when I see people discussing it. Here are some frequently asked questions about parabon.
From what I understand they can have a “snapshot” of the person in 45 days.
Snapshot Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) - Parabon® Snapshot® DNA Analysis Service

The Parabon "thing" is not the same thing as matching DNA to other relatives.
Parabon looks at the DNA sample to identify their genetic make-up to determine race and other biological factors. They often take that biological makeup to create an image of the person, based on assumptions.

The real power of DNA, in my mind, is identifying somewhat close relatives, who have a large overlap of DNA. Then the genealogists work on the family trees to identify who the target is, based on genetic distance and common DNA matches. The success of this route is dependent on whether the target has any somewhat close relatives who have posted their DNA to a public database...specifically Gedmatch.
This is how they identified the Golden State Killer, and others.

Snoopster, do you have any idea how long it would take for the FBI or GBI to get DNA results?

No idea. It varies greatly depending on LE budgets and regional lab timelines. It also depends on the true urgency of the case.

I understand that some cases here in Canada waited a very long time for results, because of the cost to LE and the backlog at labs. Hopefully they are a bit quicker in the US, but then some smaller jurisdictions would have very little clout/budget. I presume that Atlanta could push this case up near the top of the waiting list.

Sadly, I think you're right. I did read a tweet where they released Katie's body to the family/funeral home this week but they still had Bowie's so maybe there's some hope there. Still, pretty chilling to note re your valid points as given the efficiency of the perpetrator, he knows PP like the back of his hand, which means he's spent a lot time there, which means he likely lives in close proximity.
IMO it's good that they kept Bowie. That tells me he did provide evidence. Unfortunately, as much as we love our fur friends, he will probably be preserved as evidence until there is nothing or no one left to refute the findings he supplied.

No idea. It varies greatly depending on LE budgets and regional lab timelines. It also depends on the true urgency of the case.

I understand that some cases here in Canada waited a very long time for results, because of the cost to LE and the backlog at labs. Hopefully they are a bit quicker in the US, but then some smaller jurisdictions would have very little clout/budget. I presume that Atlanta could push this case up near the top of the waiting list.
Also, don't forget the other Federal Agencies involved.

Also, don't forget the other Federal Agencies involved.
Absolutely. With the FBI involved, this can gain priority, if they deem it to be critical.
In my mind the FBI were called in because of their behavioral profiling capabilities as well as their ability to find out if there were similar MO's out of state.
I am so glad they were called in right away!

Two things:

1) I'd like to go through all articles and put together a timeline, but I thought I'd see if anyone else has done it first? Because there's a few things that don't seem right.

2) Take a look at this photo. The roses mark the spot where Katie's body was found. Bowie was apparently found in the road, right by the entrance, which you can see in the back. According to the video stills the police released, at least 5 people walked within feet of her dead body (and the body of her dog) before she was found and nobody saw anything?? Yet when her wife arrived on the scene, she could see Katie's body from where Bowie was? Something seems off here.
I also have questions about this. I listened to the gf's 911 call. As she is in the park and on the phone with 911 you can hear the awful reaction of a male park go'er as he came across the body or the dog. But before that..............NOBODY saw anything or reported anything? Until AFTER the gf arrived?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam