GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 July 2021 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. I wonder if a woman was involved as a way to create a false sense of security and lure poor Katie off her route. Sick thoughts, I hate this so much. :(

It’s not outside the realm of possibility. When I saw the image of the witness with the cane, Ted Bundy wearing a fake arm cast to lure victims came to mind. The witness was probably just walking outside with the help of a cane but the mind tries to make sense of the insensible.

As many know there was a young lady several day ago woman who was kidnapped and thrown into a van, likely sexually abused and shot and killed shortly thereafter.
As mentioned before violent crime is out of control in Atlanta. Yes there may have been particularly 'gruesome' aspects of Katie Janness' murder but I think it was as much of it being a high profile case that led the FBI to be called in.

The APD asked the FBI to assist with the Piedmont Park case within 24 hours. The FBI promptly confirmed this. (This is yet another reason this case differs from most.) The van case was more recent and different, though no less tragic. A citizen witnessed a young Midtown bartender’s abduction as she was approaching her home (miles away from Midtown) and immediately called the police. An hour later, another citizen from a nearby area reported hearing gunfire. Police investigated and found her body. A suspect was quickly apprehended after a high-speed chase, but police do not believe there is any connection between the two murders.

The more I think about this the more I think it was someone who knew the park VERY well. They knew there weren't cameras where the crime was committed, they knew it would be dark under the trees/behind the stone entrance. They knew how to get out undetected. Could it be someone that does/did maintenance for the park... Maybe landscaping or even security at events held there... or a technology worker in the area. I don't think this was a random homeless person, most homeless people in the area are very frail and not capable of such a crime. I truly believe this person appears normal. Definitely not personal they would have solved this by now, not homeless - being from ATL I just don't for 2 seconds think that's the case here. It's someone skilled, somewhat intelligent, and able to fly under the radar in the community. I also think this person isn't one to flee but probably still in the area. He's probably so sick he watched everything unfold - them being discovered, police arriving, the vigil etc.

They may have a criminal record but in Georgia it has to be a felony in order to get your DNA on file. It's possible though if they do have DNA they can trace it to ancestry or 23 and me. That may just take a bit. The more days that go by without an update is making me think they don't have any leads. I hope I'm wrong and that Katie and Bowie get justice!

**also is it possible that the killer could've had a change of clothes with him or hidden in the woods?
You may be correct but a couple of points...
Given what we've heard concerning the state of cameras in the park I'd wager a majority of the park didn't have camera coverage.
Many of the areas near walking paths have trees somewhat nearby.
(Also logically if you are doing something illicit and were stumbled upon the odds are you were not out in the open)

I would like to point out that when we see Katie in the crosswalk at 12:09 she and Bowie had already had a good walk. Several blocks from their house they stopped at henry‘s to say hello and then probably stopped by Camp where Katie worked. They were likely ready to end their walk. And had they walked home it would’ve been several blocks back home. Going the direction they are in the crosswalk at 12:09 they are going the opposite direction of home. Yes they are walking in the direction of the park but also in the direction of henry’s where Emma is soon to get off work.
I don't think they are walking in the direction of Henry's. As she crosses 10th she seems to be angling to the east as if to also cross Piedmont when she gets acrross 10th. That would be toward the part, but away from Henry's which would be to the west. I do agree that it seems they had already been out on a good walk and Emma was going to be off work soon. So it seems odd she would then head to the park instead of home. But maybe Bowie was still restless and need more exercise.

Agreed….what made her go so far in the opposite direction of Henry’s, into the park? I also think it’s strange that LE hasn’t firmed up the exact time Katie was last seen, and where. Their flyer is purposely vague, IMO. Unless they truly don’t have the information, which I doubt.
My theory is that she did not go the opposite direction into the park. I am wondering if she could have been abducted shortly after crossing the crosswalk.

I don't think they are walking in the direction of Henry's. As she crosses 10th she seems to be angling to the east as if to also cross Piedmont when she gets acrross 10th. That would be toward the part, but away from Henry's which would be to the west. I do agree that it seems they had already been out on a good walk and Emma was going to be off work soon. So it seems odd she would then head to the park instead of home. But maybe Bowie was still restless and need more exercise.
I have seen other posters say it looks like she was angling in the crosswalk. It is a still shot. I even read one poster said it looks like she was weaving in the crosswalk several days ago. I can’t tell one way or the other from a still shot.

Does anyone know how accurate distance-wise the “find my phone” apps are? Feet, yards, or miles?
I have always thought that to activate Find My IPhone you need to have the phone in your possession. Which I wonder if she misspoke and saw her location? I also thought that you would need to be signed in onto an iCloud account to turn it on or off. I mean if someone wanted to share their location that’s easily done, but find my iPhone’s intent is to prevent theft not for tracking.

I have always thought that to activate Find My IPhone you need to have the phone in your possession. Which I wonder if she misspoke and saw her location? I also thought that you would need to be signed in onto an iCloud account to turn it on or off. I mean if someone wanted to share their location that’s easily done, but find my iPhone’s intent is to prevent theft not for tracking.
There's a way you can enable permissions so that you can be located by those you give permission to. Ive family that do it. It's kinda like find my phone but different. So that realtime, they would be able to see wherever the phone/person is.

Does anyone know how accurate distance-wise the “find my phone” apps are? Feet, yards, or miles?

They are pretty accurate. And can pinpoint to pretty much an exact address at a point in time. I think that an area in a park would be more difficult, because there isn't an exact address within the park area.

I have seen other posters say it looks like she was angling in the crosswalk. It is a still shot. I even read one poster said it looks like she was weaving in the crosswalk several days ago. I can’t tell one way or the other from a still shot.
One possible explanation for why it may have appeared that Katie and Bowie were “angling” in the northbound crosswalk:

Although we don’t know which direction Katie and Bowie were coming from as she approached the rainbow crossing intersection, if (if) she had been heading east on the south (Zocalo) side of 10th Street, and if (if) the northbound pedestrian crosswalk blinker was counting down (indicating that the light was about to change), Katie and Bowie might have “cut the corner” to quickly enter the crosswalk to try to beat the light. Jmo

Last edited:
I used Bowie’s line of sight as a reference. He seems to be looking straight dead center of the crosswalk. From that point of view, it seems Katie is angled at the opposite side of Carribou. But, as you said, it’s a still shot…. Who knows.

I read earlier that maybe a decoy was used, either a female was present, another dog. If we take that hypothesis, which is a good one, how about if the sound of a cat meowing drew Katie to the side of the park she normally wouldn't go to? I too think it very odd that she may have entered the park at or near the restroom and shortly thereafter was murdered.

I read earlier that maybe a decoy was used, either a female was present, another dog. If we take that hypothesis, which is a good one, how about if the sound of a cat meowing drew Katie to the side of the park she normally wouldn't go to? I too think it very odd that she may have entered the park at or near the restroom and shortly thereafter was murdered.
FWIW
Currently there is no reason to believe she entered at or near the restroom. Unless there are photos we haven't seen the more likely scenario a few of us posted is that she went in on the smaller entrances on 10th St, or one of the ones by the condos on Piedmont and 11th or 'little 12th'.
There are elaborate scenarios being posited whereas homicides, unless murder for hire/money, are rarely very elaborate. (I could of course be very wrong on this one)

Attachments

• jk_rt_possib.jpg
    jk_rt_possib.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 30
There is a hotel across the street from Henry's, the Lowes faces 11th and to the rear parking lot behind Henry's. I would assume there is evidence out there of more images than the police are sharing. Also - why hasn't the family of the victim done an interview? There are some gaps in stories and I have a hard time assuming its a random act of violence. Assuming FBI keeps digging they'll find more - I bet the evidence file is very very large ATM.

There is a hotel across the street from Henry's, the Lowes faces 11th and to the rear parking lot behind Henry's. I would assume there is evidence out there of more images than the police are sharing. Also - why hasn't the family of the victim done an interview? There are some gaps in stories and I have a hard time assuming its a random act of violence. Assuming FBI keeps digging they'll find more - I bet the evidence file is very very large ATM.

Yep. Not to mention the Federal Reserve is about a block from Henry's. That area is maximally surveilled--maybe not by the City of ATL but still.

I think it is okay for me to post this.. It's a recording of Emma's dad speaking for 8 minutes at a small gathering (not from this weekend, thank you quell). Maybe you all have seen it, I don't remember it.

. I am so glad Emma (and Katie) has/have him to advocate on her behalf.
This killer can't be caught soon enough.

Of note --
He tells how on the night this happened , Emma was held in the back of a police car for three and a half hours at the scene. This was in addition to the six hours she was at the police station.
"The FBI is involved. They have brought in agents, the entire Atlanta FBI is involved" (I doubt this is literal or that every single agent is on this case but maybe I'm wrong.. Or maybe just that each department within the ATL FBI has a representative on it)
They have not heard from the Mayor or anyone from the city.
He is strongly encouraging people NOT to go to the park at night at all. Realizes this is harsh but says that until the city can make it safe for everyone, don't go.
Talks about how it is a public place ,that tax dollars go to the park and they don't have working cameras and can't ensure it is safe. Points out that there are cameras everywhere .. Everywhere they can make money.
In telling people not to go to the park, he reiterates that it is not safe and that when we find out what they did to Katie, "what they did to her is ridiculous"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member