Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #73 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM
I'm confused - you "went to a notary" but "never had to be in person for anything" - so was a notary an in person witness to the documents you signed? In my state, we recently allowed "remote notarization" but it's a bit rigorous as far as training and certification. I have also been asked by well meaning friends to notarize via facetime but I just won't do it. If I decide to do the remote, I will take the class and get certified. Otherwise you will need to be in my presence with your valid ID.

I am hoping the financial information does come out eventually but maybe not until trial? How much do they need to convince the judge - that's the question IMO.
I went to a notary to sign the sale documents I received from the attorney-notary is a friend but also a rule follower, did it in person. I then packed up all of the docs and sent them to the attorney representing me. I had contacted the attorney to ask about when the closing would be, and was told an approximate date. My assumption was that I would have to attend the closing, but I did not. Check arrived in the mail.

That's rich.

His wife is missing.

He's just leaving his hotel room and then he's en route, and he DOESN'T take a call from LE?!!! TWICE?!!!! Are we kidding?! The rest of us would be eager for any word! Has she been found?! Is she okay? Is she hurt?

Stunning.

JMO

And can we suppose that he doesn't have the excuse of it being an 'unknown' number, since he is FF volunteer, so LE's # should be in his phone. Wouldn't that be standard?
Not only that, any number should have been answered, in this situation.
I wonder what reason he came up with?

I'm curious about the financial arguments from the hearing - couples that argue about money may argue because 1) there isn't enough to pay basic bills; or 2) one is a spender and one is a saver; or 3) one is secretly hiding money and it's discovered; or 4) one is using credit cards to the extreme .... what else? and why was this couple arguing about money? I've often wondered with the self employment/business of landscaping - was there any kind of steady "paycheck" or were they living off of savings after paying cash for the house? Since both names were on the PP deed - it's unlikely only one could take out a loan/line of credit without the other's signature from legitimate sources?
JMO

I've been curious if these money arguments were more specifically while in Colorado with their temporary cash shortage or throughout their relationship. I think BM is probably correct that he's good at two things: good worker and hunter (not husband, son, father). I recall the couple's wedding license and he was listed as a landscape foreman at that time so that's decades of continued experience. By all accounts, they seemed to do OK financially in Indiana.

A member of Suzanne Morphew’s family who spoke on the condition of anonymity said that Barry and Suzanne owned multiple rental properties in Indiana, and said they recalled Suzanne saying that the couple was planning on selling at least one of them. The family member said they were unaware of Barry Morphew’s petition for guardianship when CrimeOnline asked them to comment on the matter.

Barry Morphew files for guardianship of missing wife Suzanne Morphew

I went to a notary to sign the sale documents I received from the attorney-notary is a friend but also a rule follower, did it in person. I then packed up all of the docs and sent them to the attorney representing me. I had contacted the attorney to ask about when the closing would be, and was told an approximate date. My assumption was that I would have to attend the closing, but I did not. Check arrived in the mail.
Thanks for the clarification - we call those "mail away closings" and most of ours are done this way now, particularly with COVID. I cannot remember the last one we did in person. So, if the husband was able to get money out of PP prior to the sale of the property - my guess is it's not recorded in any public record and a bank was not involved.....
JMO

And can we suppose that he doesn't have the excuse of it being an 'unknown' number, since he is FF volunteer, so LE's # should be in his phone. Wouldn't that be standard?
Not only that, any number should have been answered, in this situation.
I wonder what reason he came up with?
He owned a buisness. You try and answer every call. If a call is missed, you call back. Calls are potential money. BM definitely likes money. MOO

Signed our mortgage documents electronically....that legal signature was not in person. I dont recall if the notary documents were electronic or not. I am under the impression that if electronic...Barry could have signed Suzanne's signature by signing into her account...without her immediate knowledge. He may have told her later..."I took care of it." After all, this was COVID days....electronic signing was rampant....no?

Why do "only" 6 meetings in 1.5 years mean it wasn't about sex? Why does it matter that JL wasn't a friend of BM's?

I think it was a torrid love affair, at least to SM. I would not interpret what little we know of their communications any other way. Sometimes in the comments here about the affair I think I sense ageism creeping in (not in your comment specifically). The passion felt at age 20 can still be felt at age 50, IMO.

I also think it is dangerous for the prosecution to parse the affair in any way except cold, clinical fact. As my response indicates, individuals will have their own interpretations based on their personal biases and feelings.

The important thing to me is to redirect when the defense gets off on a blame the victim tangent, as in "Yes, she had an affair, but she's still dead isn't she? And her husband had means, motive and opportunity, didn't he?"

JMHO (BTW, I am soon to be 59)
I definitely agree, @IRBHTX. When passions are rekindled in mid-life, after being long absent, I’d say they tend to burn even hotter than in youth. After the despair of her marriage and the return of her cancer I’ll bet SM was feeling young and vibrant and desirable again in ways she hadn’t for many years. She was finding herself again. She was buoyant. And this makes me happy even if there was no chance for success with the JL relationship.

That relationship was like a tattoo for her — it marked an inflection point in her life. It may not have started with sex, but sex is often in the cards when one goes from despair to hope, from depression to elation, from being taken for granted to being seen as a person deserving of love. No doubt the months in between meetups just fueled the fire. That relationship was doomed from the start even if BM hadn’t stepped in to end her life. But one’s doesn’t see that in the throes of new love. I’m glad she had those feelings again before her life was cruelly taken from her.

I think one’s faith can provide valuable ballast, especially in a stormy life like SM seems to have been living for quite some time. But it can also anchor you to unhealthy situations and cause guilt for desiring something more in life. I think SM’s spiritual self was maturing due to her second bout with cancer, among other things. She had come to realize that her wants and needs were just as important as anyone else’s. That she was entitled to be happy. And that you have to seize the day.

IIRC, she said, “What was young me thinking?” That’s a breakthrough question. I do wonder if she may have been in therapy of some sort — and we just haven’t heard about it yet — due to her cancer, DV, or some other new friend/opportunity that brought new perspective. Sometimes I wonder if that’s what BM was referring to when he accused her of “wanting to go back to town and talk to someone” after he hurt his leg. Perhaps we’ll find out more next week.

All MOO, all the time.

I would buy this if they were still in Indiana - but they were new to CO - could he have established that kind of relationship (perhaps a volunteer FF was a bank officer?) - we sometimes handle small re-fi's -and there are always documents which require signing before a notary public - how could he pull that off? I really don't see him getting any cash out of PP and that's why he needed the IN sale to go through - he probably googled the uniform guardianship procedures and used those to "sign" for her getting all of that money for himself. Then used the same guardianship letters to sell their PP home - he didn't need a line of credit...
IMO

Have you looked into properties owned in Indiana?
Here is one. There may be more. I am not sure if the group has looked and collected possible assets in Indiana.

https://secure2.hamiltoncounty.in.gov/publicdocs/PRC/PRC2021/0000122451.pdf

ETA: Hamilton County, IN - Property Records

Signed our mortgage documents electronically....that legal signature was not in person. I dont recall if the notary documents were electronic or not. I am under the impression that if electronic...Barry could have signed Suzanne's signature by signing into her account...without her immediate knowledge. He may have told her later..."I took care of it." After all, this was COVID days....electronic signing was rampant....no?
Did you use docusign? that's quite popular in real estate. Some mortgage lenders still want the ink signature and the ink notary testifying to it but we have had quite a lot of mortgage fraud in my state in years past.

I'm wondering if the electronic transfer to her account was her signing into their joint account and moving money into the new account she set up? Interesting, no amount was testified to in the hearing that anyone picked up on that I could find. I'd like to know how much money came into her account and what was the source. She had enough gumption to text him the "I'm done" text just 13 days later - was it because she had enough money she wouldn't have to live in a shack with the youngest ?

hmmm
JMO

Have you looked into properties owned in Indiana?
Here is one. There may be more. I am not sure if the group has looked and collected possible assets in Indiana.

https://secure2.hamiltoncounty.in.gov/publicdocs/PRC/PRC2021/0000122451.pdf

ETA: Hamilton County, IN - Property Records
oooh - hmm 2006 - it looks like land contract from your link
Deductions
Mortgage
Active 2021 pay 2022 for Land Contract Morphew
Standard Homestead Active 2021 pay 2022 for Land Contract Morphew

And her name isn't listed at all - is this his mom's house? @Seattle1 was this on the list?

Did you use docusign? that's quite popular in real estate. Some mortgage lenders still want the ink signature and the ink notary testifying to it but we have had quite a lot of mortgage fraud in my state in years past.

I'm wondering if the electronic transfer to her account was her signing into their joint account and moving money into the new account she set up? Interesting, no amount was testified to in the hearing that anyone picked up on that I could find. I'd like to know how much money came into her account and what was the source. She had enough gumption to text him the "I'm done" text just 13 days later - was it because she had enough money she wouldn't have to live in a shack with the youngest ?

hmmm
JMO
I recall some sort of e-sign forms the realtor sent to us...I believe it included notary as well. The email address and personal data used to set it up acted as verification of ID, if I am not mistaken. Was sent an email to open...then had to sign into an account to sign the documents. However, the actual closing followed, and it was in person in a physical title company office. This was pre-COVID. Now that I think of it...the electronic signatures were during negotiation..offer, counter-offer, stipulations addressed...several back and forth signatures...the end game was the actual closing in person.

Why do "only" 6 meetings in 1.5 years mean it wasn't about sex? Why does it matter that JL wasn't a friend of BM's?

I think it was a torrid love affair, at least to SM. I would not interpret what little we know of their communications any other way. Sometimes in the comments here about the affair I think I sense ageism creeping in (not in your comment specifically). The passion felt at age 20 can still be felt at age 50, IMO.

I also think it is dangerous for the prosecution to parse the affair in any way except cold, clinical fact. As my response indicates, individuals will have their own interpretations based on their personal biases and feelings.

The important thing to me is to redirect when the defense gets off on a blame the victim tangent, as in "Yes, she had an affair, but she's still dead isn't she? And her husband had means, motive and opportunity, didn't he?"

JMHO (BTW, I am soon to be 59)
I think you and @vaporless are both right. With only six meetings in two years, and IIRC one of the later ones involving no intercourse but some "fooling around," the affair was emotional: SM was a woman long starved for affection, appreciation, and emotional engagement and support after the breakdown of her marriage, finally reaching out to find love from the last man with whom she experienced it before her marriage to BM. Certainly, there was a sexual component but it seems to have been constrained by SM's Christian moral sense - "We have to be married."

You are right to remind us that SM's affair is a potential rabbit hole - a distraction the defense will linger on if the prosecution does not object and if the judge allows. Its only relevance to the case is cold and clinical. It is part of BM's motive to kill her, and evidence supporting the charge of misleading the investigators. The jury will need to be reminded perhaps, that its role is not to judge either SM or BM as people, but only to determine whether BM is guilty of the charges. MOO.

This has most likely been previously theorized but in case not . . . Maybe BM shot SM with the dart while SM was lying on daughter's bed. BM (or SM) pulled the dart out and the cap escaped into the sheets (maybe unknowingly to BM). Then he washes/dries the sheets . . .

Anyone have any guesses as to why BM called GM on 5/7?
This is the day after “I’m done” text from SM to BM.
Was he asking for another loan? I doubt it. There was bad blood over the last one. However, he did call someone that same day about buying a new truck.
Or
What if BM told him, “You better talk to your daughter. I think she’s having an affair and she’s threatening to leave me and our daughters.” (Poor me.)

Whatever the reason, I'm positive it was for BM to make BM look good, and nothing his fault.

I think calling Gene could have been twofold: BM could have been inquiring about Gene's health since I think he was undergoing tests about this time (SM disappeared before learning of Gene's diagnosis).

Or BM, having already paid off his and SM's loan to Gene (before BM would ever sign a note), he could have wanted to complain to Gene that SM was unfairly put under unwarranted stress and pressure over a loan that they both knew he was good for, and how the interference by SM's awful siblings had negatively affected his and SM's relationship. I wouldn't be surprised if BM wanted Gene to call SM and apologize to her!

oooh - hmm 2006 - it looks like land contract from your link
Deductions
Mortgage
Active 2021 pay 2022 for Land Contract Morphew
Standard Homestead Active 2021 pay 2022 for Land Contract Morphew

And her name isn't listed at all - is this his mom's house? @Seattle1 was this on the list?

Here is another address:
https://secure2.hamiltoncounty.in.gov/publicdocs/PRC/PRC2021/0000142781.pdf

ETA: These may be the rental properties that were referenced in the news article posted up thread. Not sure if there is any value in the info. (Possibly a total of 4)

Anyone remember the Mick Fletcher case in Michigan? I lived there at the time, it was big news.

He shot his pregnant wife after having sex with her, much like Chris Watts killed his pregnant wife after having sex with her. Particularly grotesque. Fletcher, a lawyer, had been having an affair with a local judge. Although we know Suzanne wasn't pregnant, I wonder if BM used sex as a ruse and Suzanne went along to get along? I think Suzanne did a lot of going along to get along, walking on eggshells, just shutting up and getting through the day. Maybe that explains the sheets? And remember, there was mention of biological fluid? That could cover a lot of areas that don't include blood.

Link to an article on the Mick Fletcher case.

Kinda in response but also jumping off your post a little :)

BM somehow gained access to inheritance/persuaded (manipulated) Suzanne to put that money into PP house as a way to keep her - MM2's boyf has already disclosed to LE that separation has been raised before, and I think Barry would not have liked that one little bit, particularly if it was Suzanne who raised it previously, after all, 'No-one leaves Barry'. He clearly isn't above nasty and vile comments about paying for health care if Suzanne left, as well as demonstrate other manipulative behaviours to keep her, it appears he would play dirty to get his own way often, so it's only reasonable to picture him doing other dastardly deeds with things that he sees belong to him such as money - he would do 'anything it takes' to keep what's his (in his mind) and if that meant stealing her inheritance from her, somehow, to keep her with him, then I can see that happening.
jmo
Somewhat off topic, but in some states, maybe Colorado, they attempt mediation prior to settlement. Colorado is an equitable distribution state, so property is divided by the court in a manner that is deemed fair to both. I just checked and Indiana is the same. In Colorado there is also alimony...it can be rehabilitative, temporary, restitution or permanent and the amount is weighted by all kinds of factors. I think this is why Suzanne specifically asked if they could be civil as I have to guess she looked into divorce in Colorado. Colorado has a formula to determine the amount of support. The formula is a monthly payment to the lower earner of 40% of the higher earner's monthly adjusted gross income minus 50% of the lower earner's adjusted gross income. So there would be complexity depending on how they had structured their businesses in my opinion. I don't know very many divorces that haven't been somewhat contentious...since they never started the process I can't project which of the two would have been the "shark" and Barry would have fought back.

I definitely agree, @IRBHTX. When passions are rekindled in mid-life, after being long absent, I’d say they tend to burn even hotter than in youth. After the despair of her marriage and the return of her cancer I’ll bet SM was feeling young and vibrant and desirable again in ways she hadn’t for many years. She was finding herself again. She was buoyant. And this makes me happy even if there was no chance for success with the JL relationship.

That relationship was like a tattoo for her — it marked an inflection point in her life. It may not have started with sex, but sex is often in the cards when one goes from despair to hope, from depression to elation, from being taken for granted to being seen as a person deserving of love. No doubt the months in between meetups just fueled the fire. That relationship was doomed from the start even if BM hadn’t stepped in to end her life. But one’s doesn’t see that in the throes of new love. I’m glad she had those feelings again before her life was cruelly taken from her.

I think one’s faith can provide valuable ballast, especially in a stormy life like SM seems to have been living for quite some time. But it can also anchor you to unhealthy situations and cause guilt for desiring something more in life. I think SM’s spiritual self was maturing due to her second bout with cancer, among other things. She had come to realize that her wants and needs were just as important as anyone else’s. That she was entitled to be happy. And that you have to seize the day.

IIRC, she said, “What was young me thinking?” That’s a breakthrough question. I do wonder if she may have been in therapy of some sort — and we just haven’t heard about it yet — due to her cancer, DV, or some other new friend/opportunity that brought new perspective. Sometimes I wonder if that’s what BM was referring to when he accused her of “wanting to go back to town and talk to someone” after he hurt his leg. Perhaps we’ll find out more next week.

All MOO, all the time.
400 “likes” for your post

Agreed. It’s the financials I’m most interested in.

It breaks my heart thinking Suzanne might’ve innocently melded inherited liquid assets into marital assets without wrapping them up into a trust payable to her daughters and bypassing her spouse.

Likewise I obsess about if BM dutifully paid into Social Security for him and Suzanne over the years or if he did a lot of under the table cash deals and tried to scoot out of paying into SS for him and Suzanne.

A divorce would expose financial shenanigans.

Agree 100% (maybe even 110%) on the bolded -- strongly suspect that BM was a chancer who was used to dodgy dealing and found ways to justify it, as his CO employee reports and voter fraud charges show. He may have over-leveraged into the new business(es) and likely had years if not decades of dubious financials in his role as patriarch in control of the family purse.

Any divorce was heading towards the contentious, IMO, given SM's strong desire to leave and documented fears of what BM might do in terms of financial shenanigans, parental alienation and general instability, and any detailed scrutiny was liable to reveal more than the odd cash under the table deal. BM stood to lose a lot personally and professionally, and time was clearly short. And then she survived and got better. Again.

It is heartbreaking to think of a woman fighting that hard and finding the strength to leave a desperate situation, only to be killed before she makes the last few steps. And yet we see it again and again and again and again and again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆