Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #73 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I definitely agree, @IRBHTX. When passions are rekindled in mid-life, after being long absent, I’d say they tend to burn even hotter than in youth. After the despair of her marriage and the return of her cancer I’ll bet SM was feeling young and vibrant and desirable again in ways she hadn’t for many years. She was finding herself again. She was buoyant. And this makes me happy even if there was no chance for success with the JL relationship.

That relationship was like a tattoo for her — it marked an inflection point in her life. It may not have started with sex, but sex is often in the cards when one goes from despair to hope, from depression to elation, from being taken for granted to being seen as a person deserving of love. No doubt the months in between meetups just fueled the fire. That relationship was doomed from the start even if BM hadn’t stepped in to end her life. But one’s doesn’t see that in the throes of new love. I’m glad she had those feelings again before her life was cruelly taken from her.

I think one’s faith can provide valuable ballast, especially in a stormy life like SM seems to have been living for quite some time. But it can also anchor you to unhealthy situations and cause guilt for desiring something more in life. I think SM’s spiritual self was maturing due to her second bout with cancer, among other things. She had come to realize that her wants and needs were just as important as anyone else’s. That she was entitled to be happy. And that you have to seize the day.

IIRC, she said, “What was young me thinking?” That’s a breakthrough question. I do wonder if she may have been in therapy of some sort — and we just haven’t heard about it yet — due to her cancer, DV, or some other new friend/opportunity that brought new perspective. Sometimes I wonder if that’s what BM was referring to when he accused her of “wanting to go back to town and talk to someone” after he hurt his leg. Perhaps we’ll find out more next week.

All MOO, all the time.

Thank you, so well written.

Suzanne was finally happy and so deserved to be. Perhaps JL was finally happy too. We just really don’t know anything about his life.

I think if Suzanne was alive they may have ended up together. It wouldn’t be the first time that a man left his wife and kids.

Life is short and perhaps they both found an excitement in life that they were missing.

My understanding is JL recommended this when he was encouraging SM to take up mountain biking. Good precaution in case of injury. I doubt BM even knew that info was tucked into the helmet. MOO
Jumping off your post IRBHTX
I have never been able to understand WHY LE kept the “personal item” discovered that we now know to be the bike helmet so quiet. Why not release that information to the public in the week Suzanne disappeared? Maybe I am missing something but whether it had been her engagement ring or her bike helmet, why not tell us? IMO

Jumping off your post IRBHTX
I have never been able to understand WHY LE kept the “personal item” discovered that we now know to be the bike helmet so quiet. Why not release that information to the public in the week Suzanne disappeared? Maybe I am missing something but whether it had been her engagement ring or her bike helmet, why not tell us? IMO

LE never spoke about the bike or the helmet. They resisted pressure from BM's team to address the bike. They knew from the beginning
that there was no bike ride. They gave that story absolutely no public validation.
They handled the crime expertly. Moo
Edit to add. Speeze was no novice. BM underestimated who he was dealing with.

Suzanne was finally happy and so deserved to be. Perhaps JL was finally happy too. We just really don’t know anything about his life.

I think if Suzanne was alive they may have ended up together. It wouldn’t be the first time that a man left his wife and kids.

Life is short and perhaps they both found an excitement in life that they were missing.
Unfortunately, JL was happy to walk away from any care for her or responsibility to share what he knew of her life after her disappearance. So I would respond with an adamant "no" to the idea that he even debated coming forward.

He told LE he didn't want his life to change as a result of the affair. He was not going to leave his family!

He is probably back in the singles market now or soon will be. No doubt his job, his kids, his priorities are still #1 to him. Would you date him?

I wouldn't be surprised if he moved on to a new fling once SM was conveniently out of the picture.

JM(very jaded)O

I disagree. I don't believe for a new york minute, he would have been fool enough to leave his wife and job. Hopefully, he got his morals back.

I too think he shot her with the tranquilizer...I don't think she saw it coming....and the movement around the house was the brief panic she had after being shot with the dart....She may have even thought it was a bullet...pure panic...no ability to think it through and maybe lock herself in a bathroom....he would have taken the door off the hinges, anyway. She had no chance, imo. Her panic, higher heart rate only expedited the drug kicking in. I agree with you, while she was out, he scanned through her phone. I think he smothered her as opposed to choking, because she was already deeply unconscious...I doubt there was a physical struggle...it wasn't necessary...I think he just chased her until she dropped...which, at 115 pounds..didn't take long.

Was it Dexter (from the TV show) that used M-99 animal tranquilizer on his victims? It’s lethal in humans. I don’t know where Barry would have obtained something like that - other than safaris?

Wish we had the arrest affidavit…

^^^ Exactly! My thoughts were along those lines on my post
CO - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #73 *ARREST*
I also agree that Barry was familiar with tranquiler darts from his own deer farm in Indiana. I assume we will all find out shortly where the darts came from-they could have been from a previous stash he had when they still lived in Indiana, or from his buddy there who also had a deer farm. If he didn’t have any darts on hand, he may have pilfered them from the fire station.

The puzzle piece this morning is where Suzanne was sunbathing. It is likely that she was not on the patio near the hot tub, if she was on a chaise lounge. The lounge chairs were in a different spot. If he darted her there, and she tried to run, it looks like she would be on dirt and there would be some disturbance to the ground as she tried to flee. If she was incapacitated immediately, he would have had to pick her up and carry her to wherever his plans took him. That spot is a lot closer to the garage.

I really find it hard to believe that Sheila did not know about Suzanne's affair....or at the very least, that she was looking around for male companionship. This is supposedly her best friend who she talked to constantly. In fact, it would seem that the constant communication with JL would have been detected by Sheila.....idk....

RBBM
I don't find it hard to believe at all. Normal people aren't proud of an affair. Suzanne seemed pretty normal to me. :(

I’ve been scrambling like mad trying to keep up but it just hasn’t been possible for me. Can someone clarify - am I understanding that BM apparently chased SM around the house shooting at her?? And claiming he was shooting chipmunks - apparently to explain away any gunshot noise that was overheard???

I cannot wait for this guy to be sent away for life.

I disagree. I don't believe for a new york minute, he would have been fool enough to leave his wife and job. Hopefully, he got his morals back.

I also agree. I didn't get the impression he had any intent of upsetting his family life at that time in his life. Even the timing of all his deletions and disposal of his phone firms up that opinion in his mind. He attempted to "erase" Suzanne in hopes he wouldn't be found or have to disclose his infidelity to his wife.

LE never spoke about the bike or the helmet. They resisted pressure from BM's team to address the bike. They knew from the beginning
that there was no bike ride. They gave that story absolutely no public validation.
They handled the crime expertly. Moo
Edit to add. Speeze was no novice. BM underestimated who he was dealing with.
This^^. No need to disclose helmet info to the general public since there was no bike ride from which to attach a missing person to. This was a murder from the gitgo...LE knew that, and also knew their POI, aka suspect. JMO. Waiting on that individual to trip up and disclose info only he would know is standard operating procedure...imo.

Okay, here you go! I created this using the PhotoPills iPad app.

May 9th, 2020 @ PP
  • Heavy Yellow line is sunrise.
  • Heavy Orange line is sunset.
  • Thin Orange line is 2:45pm MT.

The elevation of the sun was probably 60-few degrees, plus or minus — meaning cast shadows would be shorter than the buildings and trees are tall. (Assuming flat ground.)

It seems the house would not occlude an approach from the driveway like I was picturing that it would. So IMO either SM was sunning elsewhere, or she had a heads-up (went inside? covered up?), or BM did “sneak attack”. Or some combination? Hmmm…

I hope this image is legible after upload. If not, I’ll try to edit.

MOO.
I'm not understanding. The "house would not occlude approach from the driveway." What does that mean? According to your visual, the patio was completely shaded when she was thought to be sunbathing there?

Sorry to be so dense.

Okay, here you go! I created this using the PhotoPills iPad app.

May 9th, 2020 @ PP
  • Heavy Yellow line is sunrise.
  • Heavy Orange line is sunset.
  • Thin Orange line is 2:45pm MT.

The elevation of the sun was probably 60-few degrees, plus or minus — meaning cast shadows would be shorter than the buildings and trees are tall. (Assuming flat ground.)

It seems the house would not occlude an approach from the driveway like I was picturing that it would. So IMO either SM was sunning elsewhere, or she had a heads-up (went inside? covered up?), or BM did “sneak attack”. Or some combination? Hmmm…

I hope this image is legible after upload. If not, I’ll try to edit.

MOO.

I was hoping someone would get clever and map the movement of the sun on 5/9!! Nice work, 24Brix. Like I said before, direct Colorado sun is glorious, a sunbather's dream. Until it's blocked.

Perhaps Barry DID see Suzanne sunbathing (possibly on the smaller patio) and taking selfies -- by trail cam. But by 2:44 Suzanne had relocated, lying on a bed, wrapped for warmth.

Perhaps he felt compelled to remind her that she was his.

Hunter, possessor.

JMO

I also agree that Barry was familiar with tranquiler darts from his own deer farm in Indiana. I assume we will all find out shortly where the darts came from-they could have been from a previous stash he had when they still lived in Indiana, or from his buddy there who also had a deer farm. If he didn’t have any darts on hand, he may have pilfered them from the fire station.

The puzzle piece this morning is where Suzanne was sunbathing. It is likely that she was not on the patio near the hot tub, if she was on a chaise lounge. The lounge chairs were in a different spot. If he darted her there, and she tried to run, it looks like she would be on dirt and there would be some disturbance to the ground as she tried to flee. If she was incapacitated immediately, he would have had to pick her up and carry her to wherever his plans took him. That spot is a lot closer to the garage.
Just for the sake of curiosity, was the driveway ever confirmed to be freshly raked/leveled? MOO. That would have erased fresh marks from tires, or drag marks, or any activity of any kind. The Bobcat was off the trailer. There was some bantering of fresh rock being spread. I'm sure I'm just grasping at straws. All MOO. The she would have been on dirt, and disturbance to the ground, just made my mind click. Just throwing a thought out. MOO

Unfortunately, JL was happy to walk away from any care for her or responsibility to share what he knew of her life after her disappearance. So I would respond with an adamant "no" to the idea that he even debated coming forward.

He told LE he didn't want his life to change as a result of the affair. He was not going to leave his family!

He is probably back in the singles market now or soon will be. No doubt his job, his kids, his priorities are still #1 to him. Would you date him?

I wouldn't be surprised if he moved on to a new fling once SM was conveniently out of the picture.

JM(very jaded)O
MOO JL was worried he might become a suspect in SM’s disappearance. That’s one of his first questions to FBI when they finally found out who he was.
“Nielsen says Jeff never came forward to law enforcement until they reached out to him 6 months after #SuzanneMorphew went missing. She says Jeff asked FBI if he was a target of the investigation, they allegedly told him "no" and that they would "protect him"
https://twitter.com/ashleykktv/status/1424766614180827137?s=21

Just for the sake of curiosity, was the driveway ever confirmed to be freshly raked/leveled? MOO. That would have erased fresh marks from tires, or drag marks, or any activity of any kind. The Bobcat was off the trailer. There was some bantering of fresh rock being spread. I'm sure I'm just grasping at straws. All MOO. The she would have been on dirt, and disturbance to the ground, just made my mind click. Just throwing a thought out. MOO
At the time the Puma Path property was listed for sale with photos posted, IIRC we noticed fresh gravel on the driveway. But I think the photos from the investigation (media photos and flyover video) showed no fresh gravel at that time. All MOO and IIRC

I’ve been scrambling like mad trying to keep up but it just hasn’t been possible for me. Can someone clarify - am I understanding that BM apparently chased SM around the house shooting at her?? And claiming he was shooting chipmunks - apparently to explain away any gunshot noise that was overheard???

I cannot wait for this guy to be sent away for life.

That is not substantiated. It was an idea (that he was chasing Suzanne around the house with a tranquilizer dart gun) one of the investigators put forth in the preliminary based on their interpretation of some ping data. But defense pointed out that the data might be flawed and implied he was running around at 35 mph to generate the results the way interpreted. I think alot of testimony if needed will be devoted to cell phone analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288