GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 July 2021 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone as concerned as I am that there has been so little information shared and it seems to have just fallen off the radar?? From the sounds of it, there’s a very dangerous person in our midst and frankly I’m nervous in my own community now!!
It is interesting that the police have not given any recent statements.

I'm under the impression that no vehicles could have been on the road inside the park that night, correct? Is it even remotely possible the killer might have struck Bowie on the road with a bike to injure him before attacking? I mean, it would be easier to take on an injured pitbull than an uninjured one...

I'm under the impression that no vehicles could have been on the road inside the park that night, correct? Is it even remotely possible the killer might have struck Bowie on the road with a bike to injure him before attacking? I mean, it would be easier to take on an injured pitbull than an uninjured one...
I have considered this. It would be a way to partially disable Bowie and get close to Katie as she examined her dog for injuries.

Is anyone as concerned as I am that there has been so little information shared and it seems to have just fallen off the radar?? From the sounds of it, there’s a very dangerous person in our midst and frankly I’m nervous in my own community now!!
I am very concerned. I feel like it has fallen off the radar for most locals. I also worry about other area parks. Should citizens be warned not to walk in them after dark?

I worry that the longer we go without an update or sketch or poi the chances that there are no good leads.

I remember hearing someone from LE say, and this is not a direct quote, that they had no doubt Bowie engaged the killer in an attempt to protect Katie. That gave me the sense that Katie was possibly struck first. With so little public information, it is difficult to say. Some people cannot exist in a civilized society. This killer is one of those people

Anything is possible but the chances of being a victim of violent crime by a US citizen are far greater, if you believe in math and science.
The US is "a place where really horrific crimes (often directed at females) regularly occur", but primarily by our own citizens.

Here's and short article about a Texas study:
With new access to Texas’ computerized criminal history data for more than 1.8 million arrests over six years, UW–Madison sociology professor Michael Light and co-authors Jingying He and Jason Robey were able to directly calculate the rates at which U.S.-born citizens, legal immigrants and undocumented immigrants were arrested for a range of felony offenses
Undocumented immigrants far less likely to commit crimes in U.S. than citizens
Charis E. Kubrin, a professor of criminology, law and society at the University of California, Irvine, who was not involved in the research, describes the paper as “completely groundbreaking.” It’s “another nail in the coffin of what we know about the link between immigration and crime,” she says.
www.scientificamerican.com/article/undocumented-immigrants-are-half-as-likely-to-be-arrested-for-violent-crimes-as-u-s-born-citizens

Here's an article by a professor in the department of criminology at the University of Pennsylvania and a research affiliate at the University of Chicago crime lab about a CA study, BBM:
For those who are skeptical that these findings are true, consider the case of El Paso, Texas a working class city of approximately 700,000 people that sits opposite the Rio Grande river from Ciudad Juarez, one of the most violent and lawless cities in Mexico. More than 80% of El Paso's residents are Hispanic and the vast majority of these individuals are of Mexican origin. A large population of El Paso's Hispanic population are immigrants. In fact, El Paso has one of the highest proportions of immigrants among U.S. cities. Many of these migrants are undocumented. If those who fear Mexican immigration are right, then El Paso should be a hotbed of violence. As it turns out, El Paso is one of the safest cities in the United States with a homicide rate of 2.4 per 100,000 residents. Just a tiny handful of American cities have a lower homicide rate and most of those that do (San Diego, Chula Vista, and Mesa, AZ, for example) also have outsize Mexican populations. Incredibly El Paso's homicide rate is so low that it compares favorably to European capitals like London, Paris and Amsterdam, cities which have rates of lethal violence that are generally an order of magnitude lower than cities in the United States.

To summarize...there is simply no evidence to support that Mexican immigration should be a cause for concern. If anything, there is quite a bit of evidence that the immigrants we attract from Mexico serve to make us safer than we otherwise would be.
Do Mexican Immigrants "Cause" Crime? | Department of Criminology

Here's another in depth study from the Police Foundation in a PDF, same results, the math and science are consistent.
https://www.google.co.id/url?sa=t&s...gQFnoECB4QAQ&usg=AOvVaw3BEJTajN0BEebMtDwuinkz
Great info! Wish i included that my post was in response to a question about why a perp's DNA might not be in the system, as opposed to ''casting shade'' at any particular group.

Anything is possible but the chances of being a victim of violent crime by a US citizen are far greater, if you believe in math and science.
The US is "a place where really horrific crimes (often directed at females) regularly occur", but primarily by our own citizens.

Here's and short article about a Texas study:
With new access to Texas’ computerized criminal history data for more than 1.8 million arrests over six years, UW–Madison sociology professor Michael Light and co-authors Jingying He and Jason Robey were able to directly calculate the rates at which U.S.-born citizens, legal immigrants and undocumented immigrants were arrested for a range of felony offenses
Undocumented immigrants far less likely to commit crimes in U.S. than citizens
Charis E. Kubrin, a professor of criminology, law and society at the University of California, Irvine, who was not involved in the research, describes the paper as “completely groundbreaking.” It’s “another nail in the coffin of what we know about the link between immigration and crime,” she says.
www.scientificamerican.com/article/undocumented-immigrants-are-half-as-likely-to-be-arrested-for-violent-crimes-as-u-s-born-citizens

Here's an article by a professor in the department of criminology at the University of Pennsylvania and a research affiliate at the University of Chicago crime lab about a CA study, BBM:
For those who are skeptical that these findings are true, consider the case of El Paso, Texas a working class city of approximately 700,000 people that sits opposite the Rio Grande river from Ciudad Juarez, one of the most violent and lawless cities in Mexico. More than 80% of El Paso's residents are Hispanic and the vast majority of these individuals are of Mexican origin. A large population of El Paso's Hispanic population are immigrants. In fact, El Paso has one of the highest proportions of immigrants among U.S. cities. Many of these migrants are undocumented. If those who fear Mexican immigration are right, then El Paso should be a hotbed of violence. As it turns out, El Paso is one of the safest cities in the United States with a homicide rate of 2.4 per 100,000 residents. Just a tiny handful of American cities have a lower homicide rate and most of those that do (San Diego, Chula Vista, and Mesa, AZ, for example) also have outsize Mexican populations. Incredibly El Paso's homicide rate is so low that it compares favorably to European capitals like London, Paris and Amsterdam, cities which have rates of lethal violence that are generally an order of magnitude lower than cities in the United States.

To summarize...there is simply no evidence to support that Mexican immigration should be a cause for concern. If anything, there is quite a bit of evidence that the immigrants we attract from Mexico serve to make us safer than we otherwise would be.
Do Mexican Immigrants "Cause" Crime? | Department of Criminology

Here's another in depth study from the Police Foundation in a PDF, same results, the math and science are consistent.
https://www.google.co.id/url?sa=t&s...gQFnoECB4QAQ&usg=AOvVaw3BEJTajN0BEebMtDwuinkz
I agree with much of what you say except one thing. The comment about "often directed at women." Men are 10 times more likely to be the victims of violent crime than women.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

Early on in the investigation when she was saying this monster must be caught, serial killer rumors aren’t helpful, etc. <modsnip> The park isn’t safe unless there is evidence Katie was targeted and not a victim of a crime of opportunity

The Mayor didn't say "the park is safe". Below are her exact words which I got from re-watching her press conference of
August 3rd on crime and COVID. Mayor Bottoms:

"We are dealing with a horrific murder in Piedmont park, so we are still looking for a suspect. As far as we know, as we stand here today, it is safe to frequent the park, but we're also asking people to use safeguards, go out in pairs, be thoughtful about your surroundings, and all of the things that we constantly tell people. But again, as of now, we do not know if this is a targeted hate crime...."

around 38:15 in video at

Live press conference Keisha Bottoms Atlanta crime, COVID cases | 11alive.com

I’m most bothered by the man with the cane for three reasons
1. He’s got on what appears to be a bloody shirt near where a murder happened
2. What better way to allow someone to take their guard down than by appearing to be very slow moving or disabled
3. A friend of mine was recently attacked by the same breed as Bowie. His injury was on his torso right beneath his arm pit. If that is blood on that mans shirt there may very well be a bite mark beneath.
All speculation, of course

The man with the cane bothers me too. The problem with the video and the photo is that they so low-resolution. I brought the photo into PS and blew it up and turned it upside down. (I am an artist and I do that a lot with my paintings to see what needs to be fixed.) From that perspective, the man with the cane appears to have a dark splotch doing down the length of his forearm, and his shirt appears to be ripped under his armpit, with a red streak under the top of the rip, and the red is running down his side. That is my perspective of it. Other people have seen all kinds of things under his arm, but it's impossible to tell because the photo is so low-rez.

22018062_BG1-450x254.jpg
An APD surveillance camera. (File
Atlanta City Council approves new cameras in parks following murder of Katherine Janness - Atlanta Intown
"In the wake of the brutal, unsolved murder of Katherine Janness and her dog Bowie in Piedmont Park on July 28, the Atlanta City Council approved the installation of new surveillance cameras in the city’s parks and recreation facilities.

During Monday’s meeting, the council adopted legislation asking the Atlanta Police Department to being evaluating the process of installing cameras that would integrate into APD’s Video Integration Center (VIC). The legislation notes that criminal activity has spread to the city’s parks and that installing cameras will help to improve response times and provide real-time information sharing.''

The Mayor didn't say "the park is safe". Below are her exact words which I got from re-watching her press conference of
August 3rd on crime and COVID. Mayor Bottoms:

"We are dealing with a horrific murder in Piedmont park, so we are still looking for a suspect. As far as we know, as we stand here today, it is safe to frequent the park, but we're also asking people to use safeguards, go out in pairs, be thoughtful about your surroundings, and all of the things that we constantly tell people. But again, as of now, we do not know if this is a targeted hate crime...."

around 38:15 in video at

Live press conference Keisha Bottoms Atlanta crime, COVID cases | 11alive.com

Thank you for posting this.

The lack of communication from the police could be a good thing. Maybe they don't need more info from the public. It seems likely the perp was someone associated with this area, and a previous violent offender known to law enforcement.

No, they called in the FBI. FBI rarely ever releases information or hold press conferences for the public.
MOO

This incident from two years ago had obvious similarities and I suspect the perp(s) will have similar backgrounds this time around. But the timing is uncanny; two years ago almost to the day Katie was attacked (July 27, 2019). Is there something about this particular time of year? And the location also includes Piedmont Park. Although these three all appear to be in jail (their names are not all reported quite accurately here), it does make me want to take another look at that group of three seen in the area. And one of the 2019 assailants was female.

3 teens arrested in violent Midtown knife attacks | newscentermaine.com

This incident from two years ago had obvious similarities and I suspect the perp(s) will have similar backgrounds this time around. But the timing is uncanny; two years ago almost to the day Katie was attacked (July 27, 2019). Is there something about this particular time of year? And the location also includes Piedmont Park. Although these three all appear to be in jail (their names are not all reported quite accurately here), it does make me want to take another look at that group of three seen in the area. And one of the 2019 assailants was female.

3 teens arrested in violent Midtown knife attacks | newscentermaine.com

Summer crime time? People outside more?

Summer crime time? People outside more?
Could be!
Yes, crime does increase during the summer time | thv11.com
July 6, 2021
''LITTLE ROCK, Ark — Is crime seasonal? It's always been said that the hotter months generate more criminal activities. It's also assumed that warmer temperatures make people more angry and irritable.

According to the U.S. Department of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics, you're more likely to be a victim of a violent crime during the summer months.

Experts cite not only the heat leading to aggressive behaviors, but more daylight hours, kids being out of school, and more foot traffic outside of homes.''

Have all the dog details been hashed out? Was he off his leash? Whats the dogfighting scene in atlanta? The dog could have been the trigger to the whole tragedy. Rousted a vagrant, , attacked by another persons dog, attempted dognapping for the fighting culture, etc. These scenarios could possibly escalate to the killing of dog and owner trying to defend eachother.

Seems like a typical crime of opportunity (robbery, rape) escalating to a murder would be targeted against someone without a dog.

IMO a vehicle could have been on the road inside the park since we see the gate is open in the video of the jogger. If that gate was unlocked was the gate at Park dr unlocked?
I would be very surprised if a vehicle drove thru the park and no one got a good look at it….almost as surprised as I am that apparently no one got a good look at Katie and Bowie’s killer.
So who knows! Maybe a car or truck drove in the park or maybe a golf cart.

Last edited:
Have all the dog details been hashed out? Was he off his leash? Whats the dogfighting scene in atlanta? The dog could have been the trigger to the whole tragedy. Rousted a vagrant, , attacked by another persons dog, attempted dognapping for the fighting culture, etc. These scenarios could possibly escalate to the killing of dog and owner trying to defend eachother.

Seems like a typical crime of opportunity (robbery, rape) escalating to a murder would be targeted against someone without a dog.
As far as I know we know nothing about the killer’s motives or how Bowie may have fit in. And, no idea if he was off leash.
My personal opinion is that if it were triggered by dognapping, a dog fight or a rousted vagrant the fbi would not be involved. This crime has been referred to as gruesome and apd said they have never seen anything like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member