GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 July 2021 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. Hoodies are very common even in hot summer heat. I see them all the time. Hoodie man is interesting because of the timing, not the hoodie.
I think hoodie guy is interesting because of the timing AND because of the hoodie. That’s just my opinion.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask why a potential witness seen exiting the 12th street gate approx 15 minutes after the murder would be wearing a hoodie (with the hood up) on a very hot summer night.

Hoodies have sometimes been worn in the past by criminals to conceal things they are carrying and/or to hide their identities. This is well known. And it makes sense. I’d wear one if I were a criminal.

Does that mean that everybody who wears a hoodie is concealing something or trying to hide their identity? No. Are there some people who enjoy wearing long sleeve heavy flannel/cotton or fleece garments with the hood up when it’s 90 degrees out? I’m sure there are a few. But is it “very common?” No. Do most people “see them all the time” when it’s very hot outside? No. Jmo.

Is is possible that a person wearing a hoodie could conceal items in their hoodie that a person not wearing a hoodie would have trouble concealing? Probably. I think that’s all that was being asked. But let’s stop pretending that wearing hoodies when it’s very hot outside is “very common”, because it’s not. It was in the upper 90’s the last three days of July. So I think it’s a reasonable question for any sleuth to ask when looking at that video still (and not just because of the time): “could the hoodie guy be concealing something?”

That’s just my opinion.

Last edited:
I think hoodie guy is interesting because of the timing AND because of the hoodie. That’s just my opinion.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask why a potential witness seen exiting the 12th street gate approx 15 minutes after the murder would be wearing a hoodie (with the hood up) on a very hot summer night.

Hoodies have sometimes been worn in the past by criminals to conceal things they are carrying and/or to hide their identities. This is well known. And it makes sense. I’d wear one if I were a criminal.

Does that mean that everybody who wears a hoodie is concealing something or trying to hide their identity? No. Are there some people who enjoy wearing long sleeve heavy flannel/cotton or fleece garments with the hood up when it’s 90 degrees out? I’m sure there are a few. But is it “very common?” No. Do most people “see them all the time” when it’s very hot outside? No. Jmo.

Is is possible that a person wearing a hoodie could conceal items in their hoodie that a person not wearing a hoodie would have trouble concealing? Probably. I think that’s all that was being asked. But let’s stop pretending that wearing hoodies when it’s very hot outside is “very common”, because it’s not. It was in the upper 90’s the last three days of July. So I think it’s a reasonable question for any sleuth to ask when looking at that video still (and not just because of the time): “could the hoodie guy be concealing something?”

That’s just my opinion.
I think you make a good point, and I agree the hoodie very well could have been concealing something. My question then would be, did he remove the hoodie and set it somewhere before the attack? The camera footage isn't great, but there doesn't appear to be any obvious rips or bloodstains. It would be a clear sign of premeditated, imo, to remove it with the foreknowledge of needing it to cover his soon-to-be bloody clothing. But I'm not sure I am comfortable with that idea, either. I still think there would be visible blood (like what many are convinced they see on cane man). Of course, maybe there is and we just can't see it.

At close to 1am, I think hoodie guy was possibly in the park to get high or make a deal and his hoodie was concealing his drugs and/or a gun. Jmo. But I certainly wouldn't fully dismiss the hoodie...

As a sidenote, I saw surveillance video for another crime that took place recently in Atlanta, and at least one of them had on a hoodie, as well.

As far as I know we know nothing about the killer’s motives or how Bowie may have fit in. And, no idea if he was off leash.
My personal opinion is that if it were triggered by dognapping, a dog fight or a rousted vagrant the fbi would not be involved. This crime has been referred to as gruesome and apd said they have never seen anything like it.
Would evidence that they were killed with a machete trigger the fbi involvement and the gruesome quote?

Maybe they collected the tree limb because its specifically hacked with something. How high off the ground was the branch originally connected to the tree and where was it with respect to the position of the victims? A regular knife wouldn't mark a branch much unless you sat there and carved with it. If the attack happened next to a tree, a long handled hacking weapon might have deflected off a branch and made a mark, less likely with a sharp stabbing weapon, perhaps.

I can't recall... Did LE tell the public to be alert for people with fresh dog bites/scratches? If they believe the perp was injured by the dog, that would be important. Imo

I remember hearing someone from LE say, and this is not a direct quote, that they had no doubt Bowie engaged the killer in an attempt to protect Katie. That gave me the sense that Katie was possibly struck first. With so little public information, it is difficult to say. Some people cannot exist in a civilized society. This killer is one of those people

True Crime Daily just released a video about Katherine and Bowie, with Dr. Judy Ho. Segment starts at about 34.54.

*Off topic: I've been waiting for a thread to pop up about the surfer killing his kids. Have I missed that somewhere? I searched around the forums yesterday, but didn't find a thread.

I think you make a good point, and I agree the hoodie very well could have been concealing something. My question then would be, did he remove the hoodie and set it somewhere before the attack? The camera footage isn't great, but there doesn't appear to be any obvious rips or bloodstains. It would be a clear sign of premeditated, imo, to remove it with the foreknowledge of needing it to cover his soon-to-be bloody clothing. But I'm not sure I am comfortable with that idea, either. I still think there would be visible blood (like what many are convinced they see on cane man). Of course, maybe there is and we just can't see it.

At close to 1am, I think hoodie guy was possibly in the park to get high or make a deal and his hoodie was concealing his drugs and/or a gun. Jmo. But I certainly wouldn't fully dismiss the hoodie...

As a sidenote, I saw surveillance video for another crime that took place recently in Atlanta, and at least one of them had on a hoodie, as well.
I didn’t think twice about the hoodie, only the timing of him leaving the park. Hoodies are in style and very popular with teens/twenties (all year) in urban areas, at least they are where I live (Cincinnati). IMOO. In any case, he and the other potential witnesses in the photos haven’t come forward, and I don’t think they will at this point unless another brutal crime happens in the park.

I can't recall... Did LE tell the public to be alert for people with fresh dog bites/scratches? If they believe the perp was injured by the dog, that would be important. Imo

I completely agree with you. I didn't hear LE as for the publics assistance in that regard, but I sure hope they are combing the local urgent care, hospital etc facilities for potential people treated for dog bites.

Would evidence that they were killed with a machete trigger the fbi involvement and the gruesome quote?

Maybe they collected the tree limb because its specifically hacked with something. How high off the ground was the branch originally connected to the tree and where was it with respect to the position of the victims? A regular knife wouldn't mark a branch much unless you sat there and carved with it. If the attack happened next to a tree, a long handled hacking weapon might have deflected off a branch and made a mark, less likely with a sharp stabbing weapon, perhaps.
I think a machete attack could definitely trigger the word gruesome. The FBI could be called in on a machete attack if local authorities wanted to know if there are any like crimes in other states.
And you’re right a machete or a long handled knife could deflect and hit a tree branch. I don’t think we know for sure what tree the branch came from or how high it was unfortunately.

@drama_farmer
LE never stated publicly if medical facilities were notified to be on the look out for a person presenting with severe dog bite injuries or scratches. IMO, they wouldn’t make this public knowledge because it could deter a person from seeking medical care locally.

I know for a fact, though, LE sends notifications to hospitals all of the time to be on the look out for persons of interests if there is a suspicion that someone may showing up seeking medical care.

Last edited:

Yes, they did make an appeal to the public along those lines––

"911 call released in murder at Piedmont Park," CBS 46, 5 August 2021.
<snipped>

“If you saw anyone with any unexplained injuries, an intense attraction to this case in the media. A change in appearance. A change in hair color. A change in any type of facial hair. An absence of school work, come forward give us a call,” said Deputy Chief Hampton. “There is nothing too insignificant,” he added.

If they know who it is, why wouldn't they release the name and a.photo, whether he skipped town or not? Why not warn the public to bolo for this killer for their safety and to implore people to call authorities so he can be apprehended?

If you go back and listen to the press conference with the mayor and apd, you’ll notice detective Hampton says “we have a duty to abide by the laws of the courts and the rules of evidence. We’ll be wrong to put out a lot of information to the public.”

My translation of that is that they have a suspect in mind, they just can’t say anything or arrest the person yet because they don’t have enough evidence from a legal standpoint to get a warrant. Like I said previously, my boyfriend is a homicide investigator and a lot of times he knows who his suspect is…but just doesn’t have enough evidence to get a judge to sign off on a warrant. When that happens, he has to keep trying until he has enough evidence. Sometimes all they need is one eyewitness or one small detail that they previously overlooked and it can take some time.

I think a machete attack could definitely trigger the word gruesome. The FBI could be called in on a machete attack if local authorities wanted to know if there are any like crimes in other states.
And you’re right a machete or a long handled knife could deflect and hit a tree branch. I don’t think we know for sure what tree the branch came from or how high it was unfortunately.
BBM

This machete/sword type attack on a Greenway bike path here in Oregon is still unsolved, coming up on ten years. :(

OR - OR - David Grubbs, 23, Ashland, 19 Nov 2011

If you go back and listen to the press conference with the mayor and apd, you’ll notice detective Hampton says “we have a duty to abide by the laws of the courts and the rules of evidence. We’ll be wrong to put out a lot of information to the public.”

My translation of that is that they have a suspect in mind, they just can’t say anything or arrest the person yet because they don’t have enough evidence from a legal standpoint to get a warrant. Like I said previously, my boyfriend is a homicide investigator and a lot of times he knows who his suspect is…but just doesn’t have enough evidence to get a judge to sign off on a warrant. When that happens, he has to keep trying until he has enough evidence. Sometimes all they need is one eyewitness or one small detail that they previously overlooked and it can take some time.
I wish we knew if they obtained DNA from Bowie. IMO, that would be enough evidence for an arrest and a conviction.

That’s just my opinion.

Two days ago, it was 90 degrees in the afternoon and while I was driving (just north of Atlanta) I saw a young man wearing jeans, two coats, layered, and a face mask, the winter kind that covers your head and neck. He walked up to the corner and then ran across the street. It's not uncommon around here to see anything and everything when it comes to fashion. Might have something to do with not wanting people to identify you for a lot of different reasons. Or, just how a person wants to look. So by itself, the way he was dressed was not suspicious to me, especially at night when it was 77 degrees.

I was also thinking of a machete because they are common around here and could be used to do major damage pretty quickly. And they are sold everywhere there's a garden or home department.

I wish we knew if they obtained DNA from Bowie. IMO, that would be enough evidence for an arrest and a conviction.

I am not sure. The issue of DNA collection is getting interesting, and I have no doubt that we will soon be seeing more Supreme Court cases using DNA evidence.

Currently, many intending immigrants to the United States are subject to DNA tests, to provide evidence of kinship for immigration purposes. They agreed to provide DNA for a specific purpose. Could that DNA also be used for other purposes?

DNA Testing of Immigrants Is Unethical - Anthropology News

If there is no DNA match in known criminal databases, could LEO reach out to commercial DNA vendors? Not unlike the way the "Golden State Rapist" was caught, via DNA match to a relative.

Two New Laws Restrict Police Use of DNA Search Method

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member