Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #98

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to take a 6 hour flight. We're wanting to move out of California. I don't care about drinking on a flight. But, I swear, We're probably going to buy a place via zoom.
6 hours? Hawaii or East Coast?

Thank you to whomever linked this article upthread!

How does COVID-19 affect the brain? A troubling picture emerges.

Some exerpts:

"Researchers find that people who only suffered mild infections can be plagued with life-altering and sometimes debilitating cognitive deficits.

New Yorker was a healthy, 32-year-old freelance data scientist and artist. ... developed sudden and severe headaches. Her attention span suffered. ... She had trouble concentrating

In the U.K. ... studies confirm that people who experienced “mild” or “moderate” COVID-19 can have lingering cognitive issues that have a profound impact on daily life.

An immune response run amok, known as autoimmunity, might be to blame for some instances of inflammation throughout the body, including the brain. When the immune system is fighting a disease like COVID-19, it unleashes antibodies to do battle against the infection. But sometimes a person’s immune system becomes hyperactive and instead starts making self-attacking antibodies, known as autoantibodies, which can contribute to inflammation and blood clots. These autoantibodies have been found in the cerebrospinal fluid of COVID-19 patients with neurological symptoms. ... The researchers think these microglia may get activated by signaling molecules called inflammatory cytokines found in patients with severe COVID-19.

Other symptoms that accompany post-COVID-19 syndrome—pain, fatigue, and shortness of breath—can negatively affect cognition too, Schultz says. “It’s not just a brain issue; it's a multi-system body issue that needs to be addressed.”

... others worry that cognitive issues caused by COVID-19 may lead to dementia."​

“Despite a lack of scientific evidence that ivermectin is effective at treating COVID-19, it has become a popular go-to drug in some circles, especially among opponents of COVID-19 vaccines and public-health measures like masking.”
———
Hey hun, I’m going to Tractor Supply to pick up some of that dewormer stuff for us and the cows. Vaccine? H*ll no, that’s alien/lizard/Bigfoot DNA being put in my body.
o_O
JMO

Last edited:
I assume that vaccine hesitancy is related to a fear of the vaccine causing covid. I was worried about how sick the vaccine would make me even though I know it is not live virus. The second shot made me sick for 36 hours with fever, chills, aches and fatigue. Then I was fine. I expected it.

I'm curious what sort of side effects the third shot will have. The first shot was minor - nothing more than a typical vaccine-sore shoulder.

I think vaccine fear is based on nothing more than a refusal to accept that the best protection means hurting for a day. I completely agree that no one should feel lousy after a vaccine, but who hasn't had a child who felt lousy after vaccine? That's how it works, yet so many are too scared to experience vaccine side effects as adults. Even pets feel lousy after a vaccine.

I'm curious about how people who get annual flu vaccines fare in the big picture of covid vaccines and covid illness. Have those annual flu vaccines helped, worsened, or made no difference with covid?

I assume that vaccine hesitancy is related to a fear of the vaccine causing covid. I was worried about how sick the vaccine would make me even though I know it is not live virus. The second shot made me sick for 36 hours with fever, chills, aches and fatigue. Then I was fine. I expected it.

I'm curious what sort of side effects the third shot will have. The first shot was minor - nothing more than a typical vaccine-sore shoulder.

I think vaccine fear is based on nothing more than a refusal to accept that the best protection means hurting for a day. I completely agree that no one should feel lousy after a vaccine, but who hasn't had a child who felt lousy after vaccine? That's how it works, yet so many are too scared to experience vaccine side effects as adults. Even pets feel lousy after a vaccine.

While fear and not wanting to feel sick for a day may cause some vaccine hesitancy @otto, the really loud antivaxxers are convinced that WE are the fearful ones for giving in to government pressure to get vaxxed. It’s a gubmint conspiracy to gain control over us, dontcha know. They also spout a lot of pseudo-science about the vaccine in their FB comments on news articles. And the memes! For example:

Israel is pushing for a better vaccine, rather than a vaccine that is fails every 6 months.

IMO, it’s also possible we might just need a series of shots initially, much like polio or DTaP or Hep B, before the vast majority of those vaccinated seroconvert with adequate immunity that protects them long term. Though it won’t surprise me at all if we need a yearly booster for quite some time, perhaps indefinitely, I don’t think we will need one every 6 months indefinitely.

Is that a joke? Cow deworming medication to treat an airborne virus like the common cold?

What country is experimenting with these bizarre remedies - some third world country where education is sparse?
Sometimes I think we need to allow natural selection to do its thing a bit more freely without interference from us. Just saying….

Oregon COVID-19 patient unable to get ICU bed dies — ABC News

“A southern Oregon hospital has been pushed to the brink by COVID-19.

CHI Mercy Health announced on Thursday that amid the "onslaught" of new cases and hospitalizations brought on by COVID-19, including highly contagious variants like delta, a patient waiting for a bed in the intensive care unit died. It's a scenario playing out in hospitals across the U.S.

"This moment, we pause," the hospital said in a Facebook post. "A COVID-positive patient was in our Emergency Department, within our four walls, waiting for an open intensive care unit bed to receive life-saving care. It had been several hours because other COVID-positive patients had filled those beds. Even after expanding ICU care onto other floors, there weren't any beds available for this patient. We didn't have enough."

While fear and not wanting to feel sick for a day may cause some vaccine hesitancy @otto, the really loud antivaxxers are convinced that WE are the fearful ones for giving in to government pressure to get vaxxed. It’s a gubmint conspiracy to gain control over us, dontcha know. They also spout a lot of pseudo-science about the vaccine in their FB comments on news articles. And the memes! For example:

Is there a genuine belief in any country that an unknown global government is seeking to control people? I'd ask how that has worked out for those conspiracy theorists, but I don't have to. Their covid deaths are announced every day : Yet Another Dying Anti-vaxxer Warns People to get Vaccinated. A little education goes a long way.

Needless to say, this article isn’t going over well locally. See FB comments linked in my previous post.

Why would people be upset over facts? The fact is that those with more education tend to be vaccinated at much higher rates than those with less education. If those with less education are somehow offended at the implication here, that’s on them. Perhaps they might consider taking a class or two. I would suggest starting with Biology. ‍♀️

Very few get sick from the vaccine. You're the first person I've heard if who was sick for 36 hrs afterwards. Most of us had only a sore arm.

3 positive Covid cases in the last 24 hours in my little New South Wales, Australia country town.

Two are students at different schools. One of the schools say the student hadn't been there for days, whatever that means.
I think the other school said something similar.
For the first case, all that's been said is that they are in isolation.

Nothing at all mentioning places the positive cases had been.

After my first Astrazeneca shot, I was violently ill for about about 6 hours and wasn't back to normal til a week and a half afterwards and a friend said a friend of her Aunts had the same reaction as I did.
The second one was fine. I was a bit nervous before but had heard that with Astrazeneca, if anything was going to happen it would be from the first shot.

I didn't get a sore arm with either shot, but I did get a raging fever, violent and explosive vomiting and diarrhea, and pains in my body, worst in my legs. I called a friend who came over and sat with me til the worst was over. We were not under lockdown or any restrictions here then.

I felt dizzy, exhausted and had mild nausea for about a week. The day after the shot I felt too dizzy to stand, I was shaking, and towards the end of the day, I hung onto the walls as I made my way to the kitchen to make a cup of tea and a piece of toast.

Anyway my feeling was of relief that I'd had my first shot. I felt I was on the way to protecting myself and others.

Very few get sick from the vaccine. You're the first person I've heard if who was sick for 36 hrs afterwards. Most of us had only a sore arm.

Here in the UK, most people I know were unwell after the Zeneca and mostly booked a day's leave afterwards. I used two days leave for my jabs and it was just as well - couldnt get out of bed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member