CA - Jonathan Gerrish, Ellen Chung, daughter, 1 & dog, suspicious death remote hiking area, Aug 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
But wouldn't an autopsy reveal a lightning strike?
I was thinking a lightning strike big enough to kill all of them at once would leave obvious burn marks, or other obvious signs even without the autopsy. Reports were that there were no physical signs of trauma. I doubt lightning strike, but we will see what autopsy says.
If they were a young family, they likely would have been in a cluster. Lightning current running underground might well have zapped them all at the same time. A lightning strike often doesn't leave a sign on a body.

I didn't think of this! However, I thought that when the current exits the person being struck, it leaves obvious marks? If that is not the case, then lightning strike, gas exposure, or heat stroke may all be possibilities.

Is the trail a loop? Is there a secondary trail they may have found by accident?

If they were avid, weekend hikers, perhaps they planned to hike early, before the high heat of the day. Soon after the last photo...

If they planned, say, a three hour hike from 7:30 to 10:30, home well before noon, maybe plans went sideways. A wrong turn... and now it's noon, 1pm, 2pm. They're hot, they're exhausted, heat fatigue setting in fast....

Hurrying now. To save the baby.... possibly using much of the water to cool the baby....

Tragically the baby is most vulnerable... mom can't keep up, she's second.... he sits for a moment... thoughts are cloudy... maybe if he picks the baby up, everything will be okay.... now no energy for standing. Heatstroke claims him too. If leashed, the dog had no chance.

Four bodies, found deceased in close proximity, but likely expired at different times. The three clustered together, only because tethered.

JMO

If this has already been posted, I apologize.

'Not one clue': The mystery is only deepening around the family found dead on a Sierra trail

"The husband was in a seated position, the child beside him along with the dog, and the wife just a little farther up the hill."

"Two deputies slept near the family that night to ensure that no one tampered with the scene."

No, I hadn't read that before! Is there any chance of someone pasting the whole article, as it is pay blocked.

WS copy write rules only allow 10% of the article to be quoted. There is a lot of local color and search filler, but here is the important info for us:

About 1.5 miles down the switchbacks, around 11 a.m. Tuesday, the team found the family in the middle of the trail. The husband was in a seated position, the child beside him along with the dog, and the wife just a little farther up the hill. Briese [the sheriff deputy] said they believe the family was returning to their truck.

A cell phone was in Gerrish’s pocket. There is little to no cell coverage on that section of trail. Investigators are trying to determine if the phone saved any failed text message drafts, attempted calls or photos, along with GPS location data, Briese said.

The family also had a backpack with a bladder that held a small amount of water, the sheriff said. They sent the water for testing. There was no indication whether the family had been swimming, as they would have dried off by the time they were found, he said.

'Not one clue': The mystery is only deepening around the family found dead on a Sierra trail

Other info:
No bottle of medicine found, it was 107-109 degrees Sunday afternoon when it is believed they hiked, because they still had water, dehydration seems a long shot, the water has been sent for testing, as have the bacteria blooms and water along the trail.

Too bad that's behind a paywall.
From the link
“You come on scene and everyone is deceased. There’s no bullet holes, no bottle of medicine, not one clue,” Mariposa County Sheriff Jeremy Briese said from his office in town on Friday. “It’s a big mystery.”

@RickshawFan a pic of the article is posted up thread

Just my list of facts that answer some of the questions posed, and contribute to my dark theory: (murder/suicide or suicide pact)
  1. Their home is very near the trailhead for Hites Cove Trail (which is what made searchers check the gate where their truck was found parked)
  2. Their bodies were only 1.5 miles below the their truck on a series of switchbacks, and appeared to be near the end of their hike heading back to their truck.
  3. This section of the Hites Cove Trail makes a loop, with the halfway point the south fork of the Merced River. It is only about 2.5 miles long and is not considered to be a strenuous hike.
  4. This family hiked nearly every weekend. This wasn't a new activity.
  5. The family was found in the middle of the trail.
  6. Their bodies show no signs of trauma: no bites, punctures, signs of burns, trauma, bruising, scratches, gunshots, or obvious foul play. There were no medications or notes found. (This makes snake bites, lightening, and even CO2 rather unlikely)
  7. Hazmat has cleared the area -- and while Algae Blooms were questioned in the area, no other wildlife including insects were found dead near the bodies. Additionally, no members of the search parties, other hikers in the days/weeks previous, nor the two deputies who stayed overnight to protect the scene until the bodies could be removed were sickened being in the area.
  8. It is highly unlikely that this family drank green/blue water. First, they had a backpack with a bladder that was still holding some water when found. Second, they were very experienced hikers.
  9. There are/were no mines found within 3 miles of the area. (poisoning from mines unlikely)
  10. The husband was found in a seated position, their child beside him along with the dog.
  11. The wife was found just a very short distance away from them, slightly up the hill. All of them on the SAME PATH.
  12. A cell phone was in Gerrish’s pocket.
  13. Wife has overcome a traumatic brain injury.
  14. Wife has also worked as Pharmaceutical assistant in the past.
  15. They have traveled extensively -- including to the Gobi Desert.
  16. They are avid hikers and are not novices. They are familiar with climates, were well-prepared and had adequate supplies.
Admin Note: Noelscat has provided all the following links to support above information stated as fact. All else is member opinion:

(facts 1-12) 'Not one clue': The mystery is only deepening around the family found dead on a Sierra trail

(fact 1, 4, 8, 9, 16) Did algae bloom kill family hiking in Mariposa County? Authorities checking all possibilities in mysterious deaths

(fact 13) Satori Yoga Studio

(fact 13, 15, 16) Login • Instagram

(fact 14) https://www.linkedin.com/in/ellen-chung-b0647324/

Last edited by a moderator:
Poison algae may have killed California family, police say

8/21/2021

A family of three who were found dead on a hiking trail in California may have been killed by poison algae, investigators say.

The bodies of British man John Gerrish and his wife, Ellen Chung, and one-year-old daughter Miju were found in the Sierra National Forest on Tuesday.

Nearby waterways are being tested for toxic algae blooms, officials said.

Post-mortem examinations have been carried out in an effort to establish the cause of death.

The family's dog, Oski, was also found dead at the scene in the Devil's Gulch area of the forest, which is a popular hiking destination.

"We don't know the cause… we won't rest until we figure it out," Mariposa County Sheriff Jeremy Briese told the Fresno Bee newspaper.

Did they all just drop dead at the same time? I wonder if they all just started feeling sick at once, or if one got sick first, and the other tried to get help..
We don’t know if they all died at the same time, but we now know the father was found in the middle of the trail in a sitting position with the baby and dog next to him and the mom further up the trail toward the trailhead/truck. This makes a huge difference to me b/c I think she could have been trying to get help which would indicate a slower situation rather than one sudden event killing them all. JMO

Couple, baby, dog mysteriously found dead on hiking trail; Toxic algae bloom considered the cause

8/21/2021

MARIPOSA COUNTY, Calif. -- Investigators are considering whether toxic algae blooms or other hazards may have contributed to the deaths of a Northern California couple, their baby and the family dog on a remote hiking trail, authorities said.

[..]

But the hazmat declaration was lifted Wednesday, and Mariposa County Sheriff Jeremy Briese said he didn't believe the mines were a factor, the Fresno Bee reported Thursday.

"This is a very unusual, unique situation," said Kristie Mitchell, a spokesperson for the sheriff's office. "There were no signs of trauma, no obvious cause of death. There was no suicide note."

[..]

John Gerrish, his wife, Ellen Chung, their 1-year-old daughter, Miju, and their dog were all found dead on a hiking trail near Hite's Cove in the Sierra National Forest. A family friend had reported them missing Monday evening.

[..]

The bodies were transported to the coroner's office in Mariposa for autopsies and toxicology exams, Mitchell said.

The State Water Resources Control Board said Thursday it was testing waterways in the area for any toxic algae blooms.

The couple were known to be avid hikers. Their friend, Mariposa real estate agent Sidney Radanovich, said Gerrish was a San Francisco-based software designer who, with his wife, "fell in love with the Mariposa area" and bought several homes there, a residence for themselves and rental investments.

"They were such a loving couple. They loved each other quite a bit," Radanovich told the San Francisco Chronicle. "He loved showing the baby all sorts of things and explaining them to her."

Algae seems to be the favorite headline in MSM, but I just don’t know how I feel about that. It’s possible, but is it really likely? We have toxic algae here from time to time, but I’ve never heard of a person being affected—only dogs. I mean, I know it could hurt humans for sure, but how likely is it that they swam in and or drank random water on their hike and gave it to their baby?

WS copy write rules only allow 10% of the article to be quoted. There is a lot of local color and search filler, but here is the important info for us:

About 1.5 miles down the switchbacks, around 11 a.m. Tuesday, the team found the family in the middle of the trail. The husband was in a seated position, the child beside him along with the dog, and the wife just a little farther up the hill. Briese [the sheriff deputy] said they believe the family was returning to their truck.

A cell phone was in Gerrish’s pocket. There is little to no cell coverage on that section of trail. Investigators are trying to determine if the phone saved any failed text message drafts, attempted calls or photos, along with GPS location data, Briese said.

The family also had a backpack with a bladder that held a small amount of water, the sheriff said. They sent the water for testing. There was no indication whether the family had been swimming, as they would have dried off by the time they were found, he said.

Other info:
No bottle of medicine found, it was 107-109 degrees Sunday afternoon when it is believed they hiked, because they still had water, dehydration seems a long shot, the water has been sent for testing, as have the bacteria blooms and water along the trail.

Thank you. Just a brief timeline from what I’ve read—
  • The last contact was a photo they uploaded Sunday at 6:45 a.m. of the baby backpack they took with them. Many articles refer to the hike as a ‘day trip’.
From the SF article:
  • 11:00 pm Monday a missing persons report was made for the family
  • A curious sheriff’s deputy had a hunch: he knew the family recently purchased a property near the trailhead for Hites Cove Trail. He drove out to search.
  • He found their truck at the trailhead at 2:00 am (early Tuesday).
  • He called for backup & SAR, and they found the family 9 hours later at 11:00 am, Tuesday. (I’m not sure if this is an indication of the challenging terrain, scope of search, and/or time needed to call in SAR).
  • They were located 1.5 miles down the switchbacks in the middle of the trail. “the child beside him along with the dog, and the wife just a little farther up the hill. Briese said they believe the family was returning to their truck.
    A cell phone was in Gerrish’s pocket. There is little to no cell coverage on that section of trail.”

• It was 107°-109°F (about 42°C) during their hike
upload_2021-8-21_14-24-46.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2021-8-21_14-24-53.jpeg
    upload_2021-8-21_14-24-53.jpeg
    157.3 KB · Views: 6
Forgive my ignorance of cell technology - could they have brought anything with them to create a hot spot in order to call 911? Assuming this was just a case of being horribly prepared, I’m trying to think of lessons learned:

- don’t be unreachable!
- stay close to egress points and plan out where you will go for help at any point on a trail
- avoid hiking on days with 100+ degree heat (or even 90+, if you have an infant shrouded by a backpack!)
- bring more water than you think you’ll need
- avoid dangerous trails with dependents (dog, baby)
- personally, and this is a bit tongue-in-cheek, I would avoid areas with “death” or “devil” in the name when traveling with dependents

Initial Autopsy on Family of 3 Mysteriously Found Dead on Hiking Trail Turns Up No Clues

8/21/2021

The couple made the move after Gerrish, a Silicon Valley software engineer, began working from home, the family friend told The Fresno Bee. They wished to raise Miju away from a major city and hoped to trade in the bustle of the San Francisco Bay Area for the calm of nature, he explained.

The first sign that something had gone awry was when the couple's nanny arrived at their home on Monday and found no one there, Jeffe told the newspaper. Their hiking trip on Sunday was only supposed to last a day.

"You had to figure it wasn't an overnight hike because it's been hot and they had the baby with them," Jeffe told The Bee. "John was supposed to work Monday and never showed up. That raised more concerns."

[..]

By Tuesday morning, the family was found.

"Coming across a scene where everyone involved, including the family dog that is deceased, that is not a typical thing that we have seen or other agencies have seen," Kristie Mitchell previously told the Fresno Bee. "That is why we're treating it as a hazmat situation. We just don't know."

Algae seems to be the favorite headline in MSM, but I just don’t know how I feel about that. It’s possible, but is it really likely? We have toxic algae here from time to time, but I’ve never heard of a person being affected—only dogs. I mean, I know it could hurt humans for sure, but how likely is it that they swam in and or drank random water on their hike and gave it to their baby?

Blue-green algae in a lake led to the deaths of two dogs and an adult being hospitalized here.
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6063726

I was actually wondering why it’s named Devil’s Gulch. Is it because it’s notoriously dangerous for a certain reason?
Right - I’m not a superstitious person so a name doesn’t make a place automatically dangerous, but WHY would they name a place Death Valley, Devil’s gulch, etc. - those places tend to have an unhappy history. Look for trails with names like “blossom way” and you’ll probably be better off!

I was actually wondering why it’s named Devil’s Gulch. Is it because it’s notoriously dangerous for a certain reason?

https://www.dges.org/history

The best we can tell is Devil's Gulch got the name well before the ranch was formed. Devil's Gulch was the passageway between Nicasio Valley and Paper Mill Creek. The local history seems to indicate that the gulch got its name because of how treacherous this important trail was. In 1864 Devil's Gulch Ranch (873 acres) split off from a larger parcel and was purchased by two Martinelli Brothers, Union Army Civil War officers using their wages to start fresh in California.

eta:

I've seen this trail twice described as nothing like it's name. For example:

(By the way, don't let the Devil's Gulch name scare you. For years, every time I passed this sign, I envisioned a harsh, steep climb through dry, hellish terrain. After all, they got Mount Diablo's name right. Instead, Devil's Gulch is a gentle, relaxing saunter through grasslands and alongside a peaceful creek. I would love to know the origin of the name.) In the summer, and on weekends, expect a lot of horse traffic. In the winter when the weather is chilly, you may have the trails to yourself, especially on weekday mornings.

This 3.9 mile out and back hike is easy, with about 880 feet in elevation change (mostly in small increments).

Exposure:
Mostly shaded.
https://bahiker.com/northbayhikes/sptdevil.html

Personally... I've never visited so I don't know.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member