Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #74 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM. About the FB friending: I agree with you that it likely happened on Saturday and after BM caused SM's demise and disposed of her remains. I think it likely BM explored SM's phone and found her "Fifty reasons to leave your husband if his name is Barry Morphew" list. And, seeing that she included among those reasons that he had too many women friends on FB (she said he told her "it was good for business"), he decided he'd better make sure she also had plenty of male friends on FB so that when LE came calling or when the daughters somehow learned of SM's list, he could point out the irrationality of her worries about women FB friends, her having so many male FB friends and all.

It just seems to fit with his many attempts to control the narratives - to his neighbor when SM was non-responsive to attempts by the daughters to contact her ("is her bike missing?"), to his nephew and GD early on ("it's too soon," "LE really messed up the scene"), to his daughter (his putting her in the middle and making it look like Lauren was harassing her when in fact he was using his daughter as a shield), to LE, to Lauren (in response to her interviews with JP and MG - "JP was in prison for NINE YEARS" and she is a "methhead"), to Tyson Draper ("we're thinking a mountain lion may have taken her uphill" - taking care not to puncture her and walking upright, apparently, there being no blood or drag marks), and to the public (his 26-second plea on a wooded mountain by a river, his claims that AM's 700-plus person strong search was a publicity stunt).

This also fits with my pet theory, that Barry spent some time on Saturday (after Suzanne was unconscious or dead), going through all her social media, her journals, etc. He was trying to satisfy himself psychologically, as he was being driven mad by the thought of her affair - which he had known about in some fashion for quite some time. He had begun to track her doings and her online life, she had retreated into What's App and LinkedIn (which probably drove him nuts) and she had sent the fateful "I'm done" message by text.

In that scenario, he literally gets the idea about friending on FB from her grievance list, as you say. He attempts to control the narrative at every level. IMO he told the girls about their mother's affair long before he carried out his plan to remove Suzanne from the family forever.

Before she moved to LinkedIn, she was using texts - and I bet Barry could see them in the Cloud. Even if the texts were not romantic in nature, there were probably too many of them for Barry's liking.

I'm confused about TN and GD (and Barry) being worried that MG's paycheck could be seen as "hush money". If Barry did indeed recieve a PPP loan to be used to pay his 9 employees, he'd have to have kept VERY detailed records of hours worked and the wage that was paid. As well as the dates the employee was paid. Shouldn't have been a problem. MOO.
I am guessing that MG and JP were contract workers....not employees. Barry did say he paid his workers by check...but that is standard for 1099 workers. IOW...If Barry paid them by check...and expected to write off the labor costs...a 1099 would be issued at the end of the year...or, on a job to job basis. So the next obvious question for me would be....which checking account did Barry use to write the paycheck? From the business account...or his personal checking account? I am under the impression that Barry is an LLC....but IDK for sure. If MG and JP are contract workers...I doubt that Barry intended to issue 1099s because that would conflict with the PPP loan documentation. On a side note...I really don't think the PPP loan guidelines and oversight was super tight....I think those programs were fast-tracked...so likewise, the oversight would be less stringent...could be wrong.

A note on IP addresses and WiFi/cellular services. The identification of a specific IP address on a network is not as simple as it seems.

When using an iPhone on your home WiFi, your IP address is assigned by the router sitting in your house that connects it to the internet. The IP addresses that are handed out by your router and assigned to your iPhone are NOT publicly identifiable. These IP addresses start with 192.168.1.x or if using NATting, 10.x.x.x. What is identifiable is the IP address of your home WiFi ROUTER (not individual iPhone). This only proves that someone in your home (or someone parked outside using your unprotected WiFi) accessed a webpage from your home network. It makes it very difficult for LE to conclusively prove that this PERSON using this device went to this website using this username and password at this exact date and time. It can sometimes be corroborated by other data for example, proof this person was the only one home at the time this website was accessed by using a ring doorbell video, etc. Your internet service provider can actually change the IP of the router if they wanted to as well. It’s not very common but it does happen, especially during maintenance on their end.

When using cellular functions from your iPhone, it will have an IP address assigned to it. It actually has two, one IPv4 and one IPv6. This is so the phone can connect to the cellular network/towers. This IP address can also change and is assigned by the cellular provider.

Thanks for bringing up this important information @A2FMNST.

We had a similar explanation by an expert witness in the Colorado Mark Redwine trial. Very similar to PP/Maysville, the Redwine residence was located near Vallecito/Bayfied -- another dead cellphone zone and where the victim used wifi and/or phone apps to communicate to others. The expert explained why Dylan would identify himself in his texts sent from home because the phone number associated with his texts is false or a using a proxy number assigned by the router. MOO

Non-tekkie question.....if BM had a burner phone that he used to call MG with...wouldn't that number be identifiable and traceable for the purposes of recovering its history of use? There have been comments about Barry possibly using a burner phone...but if he used it to communicate with others....i would think it would be traceable if identifiable.
Most "burner" or "month-to-month" phones are associated with a particular carrier. It is my opinion that, if LE has the number and the carrier of that particular phone, the carrier would have a record of calls made from that phone.

The carrier may not have the buyer's real name and address; however, it might be something that could be deduced by the numbers that were called.

I am speaking from personal experience. I have purchased many phones from stores for myself, my son and my grandson that use the month-to-month plans. I can easily access the calling records online.

The text detail used to be kept many years ago; however, it is no longer kept for these month-to-month phones. You would have to be in possession of the actual phone or see the text recipient's phone to get that kind of detail.

JMO.

Now let’s say that Barry signed into Suzanne’s Facebook using a new device though, I always get an alert when I do that for the first time (same with Google and Twitter).

So that would not change, right?

There are multiple levels of access and it depends on how it is setup.

Application access:
Facebook app can be setup to notify if someone logs onto Facebook with your username and password ON A DIFFERENT DEVICE. You would get an alert.

Apple ID access:
If you sign into a NEW/never previously used IDevice with the same Apple ID, you can see anything that Apple ID has; undeleted iMessages (sometimes referred to incorrectly as texts), any undeleted email account access, and even application access if the username and pass were stored by the device. You will definitely get an alert on the last device you were logged into saying your Apple ID is being used on another device and if using 2 factor authentication will trigger an additional step.

Do we know if BM and SM were using the same Apple ID?

Most "burner" or "month-to-month" phones are associated with a particular carrier. It is my opinion that, if LE has the number and the carrier of that particular phone, the carrier would have a record of calls made from that phone.

The carrier may not have the buyer's real name and address; however, it might be something that could be deduced by the numbers that were called.

I am speaking from personal experience. I have purchased many phones from stores for myself, my son and my grandson that use the month-to-month plans. I can easily access the calling records online.

The text detail used to be kept many years ago; however, it is no longer kept for these month-to-month phones. You would have to be in possession of the actual phone or see the text recipient's phone to get that kind of detail.

JMO.
That is my point....if any recipient of a text or call from Barry which originated from a burner phone...has their record of that communication...then the number itself could be used to track Barry's entire burner phone history.

Why would these two men even have MG's paycheck to give to her? Wouldn't MG get her check from Barry? Why would they have it?
If this is an accurate scenario, the only reason that I can see this happening is because Barry wanted them to give MG a warning about her phone "in exchange" for handing over the paycheck, i.e., "hush hush" money.

Barry (the puppet master), once again, was distancing himself from anything to do with this case and letting others handle it for him.

JMO.

JMO BBM
Per @NoSI notes: I hadn’t read about this tidbit that occurred shortly before the ‘want to go hiking’ text exchange between BM & SM:

May 9, 2020
- 9:49 AM: Call from BM to SM. BM calls SM 11x, no return calls from SM.

Considering what we now know about the state of their relationship and the text exchanges that occurred and were deleted in the week leading up to SM’s murder, plus the huge fight they had Friday night (Per CM with TIR), it’s insightful to see this particular persistent action by BM on Saturday morning.

Calling SM 11x with no reply?

Could she have been really pissed and just ignoring him until she couldn’t? Or was she simply in the shower or indisposed and couldn’t respond right away?

Didn’t these calls occur during the time BM was with MG at the jobsite? So was he just on his phone that morning the whole time while MG worked and until he told her he had to go ‘make the wife happy’?

MOO

Last edited:
I am guessing that MG and JP were contract workers....not employees. Barry did say he paid his workers by check...but that is standard for 1099 workers. IOW...If Barry paid them by check...and expected to write off the labor costs...a 1099 would be issued at the end of the year...or, on a job to job basis. So the next obvious question for me would be....which checking account did Barry use to write the paycheck? From the business account...or his personal checking account? I am under the impression that Barry is an LLC....but IDK for sure. If MG and JP are contract workers...I doubt that Barry intended to issue 1099s because that would conflict with the PPP loan documentation. On a side note...I really don't think the PPP loan guidelines and oversight was super tight....I think those programs were fast-tracked...so likewise, the oversight would be less stringent...could be wrong.

Using Your PPP Loan as a Self-Employed Worker - NFCC

From the link above:
Note that you cannot use PPP funds to pay for benefits like health insurance premiums or retirement benefits. Also, you cannot pay contract workers with your PPP funds; you may only use them to pay W-2 employees.

I'd love to meet Barry's 9 W-2 employees. MOO.

That is bound to happen when people form strong opinions. People look for things that support their opinion and that phenomenon is called confirmation bias. It is easy to understand when you think about the difference between a preliminary and a trial and what kind of information can be brought forth in each phase.

It's also called 'ordinary human nature.'

To not attempt to bolster one's views with something would be a sign of a cognitive defect.

And that's enshrined in the American jury system, which is why Barry's side has its little PR war going on (not so much on WS any longer, but elsewhere in the SM sphere).

I guess you can go further and call all jury decisions "confirmation bias," because that's what they are and that's how we roll as humans. Each juror forms an opinion, based on their own notions. When 12 people agree, we call it a day and the trial is over.

Apodictic statements are few and far between. While I'd say the Law of Gravity is not opinion, I am aware that scientists are still puzzled by aspects of it.

MOO pay as you go phones have phone numbers, phone numbers are connected to the point of sale, and the information used to open the account and pay for the minutes.
Lying may get you an account, but the point of sale will be known.
If the phone is used to call anyone, the relevant tower will have the number.

While this is true, I can be in my car and at a point of sale that will allow me to pay cash and not ask for ID within about 30 minutes. Now, it's true that the phone would still be traced back to that place, but these places are kiosks/pop-ups that disappear the moment an investigation starts. Within 3 hours, I could be in Mexico and buy a burner phone from someone else on the street for cash (and I could do that in downtown Los Angeles as well). LAPD runs raids in the Garment District for all kinds of reasons - but this is one of them (these phone dealers are not supposed to sell those phones without ID, although I'm not sure if that's state or federal law - would be interesting to know if it's just local or whether it's national).

No one who wants to have an anonymous burner phone goes to a store with cameras. Swap meets are another great place to get one. One does need a SIM, but that can be obtained in similarly shady ways - and activated in ways that are ultimately untraceable.

If Barry got his burner phone in Mexico, point of sale is not, in practice, traceable.

All that's left is indeed the towers off which the phone pings. If the SIM was registered to a non-existent address or to someone else's address, all bets off as to whether that's traceable. It's actually a pretty common form of ID theft (we had two phones registered to our household - point of sale was Houston; I've never been to Houston and reported it as fraud the instant I saw it - but it wasn't immediate, I only caught it a few months later).

I don't know either one of them but I can only imagine that

a.) neither one of them legitimately believed Barry had done anything to disappear Suzanne and possibly
b.) the "hush hush money" thing was said as a sarcastic type of joke - or - they're all somewhat likeminded and have the same negative attitude toward cooperating with LE - even if you've done absolutely nothing wrong. LOTS of people are like that, for various reasons.

I can only imagine news of Barry's arrest and the charges against him, was not the kind of news they ever hoped to hear.

jmo

I vote B. This encounter MG had is a nothingburger. Of course, MG mentioned that LE wanted her phone. She was probably reluctant or hesitant to give it up (who wouldn't be anxious about that?) and the conversation eventually turned to "well, no one HAS to hand over their phone without a warrant." The same conversation any of us would have.

The "hush money" comment was a lame joke, IMO.

The entire encounter has been blown out of proportion here and we won't be hearing about it in court.

MOO.

I don't think most understand that during the 2nd round of PPP loans (after all the huge corps exhausted the initial funds), the rules changed making BM eligible where he could count not only his draws but also his 1099 contract payments as payments to "employees" [for PPP labor cost]. Take note that an SBA approved Agent (bank) was responsible for processing the PPP application.

What can independent contractors use PPP loans for? (approved expenses 2021) | Womply

Interesting that George D and Trevor N were the ones to approach MG. Me thinks GD knows a whole lot more than we've been privy to.

I guess the state could call GD as a hostile witness, unless he has come to the eureka idea that BM is responsible? :rolleyes:

MOO
GD has some LE background, hopefully, that sense of right and wrong prevailed! Moo

Wasn't PPP specifically to keep employees employed?
Right? Seems like we're chasing bunnies (there's another one for the zoo or ark) down well worn trails. Cash, check, W-2, 1099? It may prove bad character or even illegal use of the money by BM & potentially SM if she handled his books to that degree.

But, what does it have to do with Suzanne's murder? I'm new to this detective stuff so forgive me if I seem stupid. JMHO

MOO pay as you go phones have phone numbers, phone numbers are connected to the point of sale, and the information used to open the account and pay for the minutes.
Lying may get you an account, but the point of sale will be known.
If the phone is used to call anyone, the relevant tower will have the number.

The burner phone would be communicating on the cellular network from an IP address that is only temporary. It’s point in time. It is a matter of catching the burner phone being used and assigned X IP at this particular date and time on this given cellular carriers network. The data is just passing through, but not memorialized, as with other cell phones.

You may be able to tell who purchased a burner phone via store records, credit cards, and corroborate it with in store video footage. Even if you know WHO bought the burner phone you have no idea WHAT was said, WHEN it was said, etc.

Sometimes the fact that a burner phone was bought to begin with has a nefariousness connotation. What are you trying to hide?

I think we’re going to learn a lot more about burner phones and the legal system at the Daybell trial.

I don't think most understand that during the 2nd round of PPP loans (after all the huge corps exhausted the initial funds), the rules changed making BM eligible where he could count not only his draws but also his 1099 contract payments as payments to "employees" [for PPP labor cost]. Take note that an SBA approved Agent (bank) was responsible for processing the PPP application.

What can independent contractors use PPP loans for? (approved expenses 2021) | Womply

I admit that I don't know about the 2nd round of PPP loans, as we didn't qualify. I would be interested in knowing which round Barry applied for and received. Or if it was both. MOO.

Using Your PPP Loan as a Self-Employed Worker - NFCC

From the link above:
Note that you cannot use PPP funds to pay for benefits like health insurance premiums or retirement benefits. Also, you cannot pay contract workers with your PPP funds; you may only use them to pay W-2 employees.

I'd love to meet Barry's 9 W-2 employees. MOO.
There were a variety of relief loans funded by the feds so I am not assuming it was PPP. And again I do not personally think it has any relevance to this case.

JMO.

Technically speaking a “burner phone” is one that DOES NOT use a monthly plan.

The month to month plans have to know how many minutes or how much data was used for billing/accounting purposes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members