CA - Jonathan Gerrish, Ellen Chung, daughter, 1 & dog, suspicious death remote hiking area, Aug 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are closer than you think, it is a loop including Hite Cove Trail, Hite Mines Rd, and Highway 140 (Yosemite Highway). The Hite Cove Trail ends and turns into Hite Mines road which has the switchbacks that the family was found by (see screenshot below). Hite Mines Rd leads right to the Cedar Lodge in El Portal.
If I'm correct, it's 2.5 miles from the home to the "forest service gate" and the start of the Savage-Lundy Trail. You can see the switchbacks on the map. Sheriff said the family was located 1.5 miles from their vehicle.

Google Maps

Does anyone know how/why the deputy in the sheriff’s office would know that they’d recently purchased a house near the trail? That detail is odd to me. He had a hunch and went up to the trail that night. But how did he know about the house?
My guess is that information would be passed along to authorities, it's a place where they might have been or might show up.

If it’s heatstroke, there should be hints of that on autopsy: “Conclusion: Typical autopsy findings following classical heat stroke in children include diffuse petechiae and hemorrhages and lung involvement. These findings are similar to those reported in adults that had died following exertional heat stroke—a very different mechanism of heat accumulation.” Fatal heat stroke in children found in parked cars: autopsy findings - PubMed

Findings in dogs: “Body hyperthermia initiates a myriad of inflammatory, hemostatic and tissue damage processes of varying severity and progression rate in dogs. Activation of the inflammatory and hemostasis cascades initiates a systemic inflammatory response syndrome (SIRS), often progressing to multiple organ dysfunction syndrome (MODS).37,65-68 Combination of the direct heat insult, severe hypovolemic, distributive shock, metabolic acidosis, neurologic dysfunction, endotoxemia and disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC) result in decreased organ perfusion, tissue necrosis and hemorrhagic diathesis, as recorded at necropsy in fatal cases of naturally occurring heatstroke in dogs.” Pathophysiology of heatstroke in dogs – revisited
IMO, they have to rule out whether there was anything preceding heat stroke, that caused them to collapse at that spot. If poisoned, for eg, victims might suffer from heat-related injuries or death as they lay on the trail, but that would not be the initial problem. The heat would be secondary. Same as, if some one dies from a fall, police want to know if they fell accidentally or were pushed.

If I'm correct, it's 2.5 miles from the home to the "forest service gate" and the start of the Savage-Lundy Trail. You can see the switchbacks on the map. Sheriff said the family was located 1.5 miles from their vehicle.

Google Maps
I thought they were found on Hite Cove Trail, 1.5 Mi in, after the switchbacks, not the Savage-Lundy trail? I may be confused though, and I know reports can have errors.

I see a lot of thoughts about the toxic algae. If they swam in the toxic algae, wouldn't there be some on their clothes, skin etc? I was thinking this could be ruled out early, wouldn't take as long as toxicology reports?

I thought they were found on Hite Cove Trail, 1.5 Mi in, after the switchbacks, not the Savage-Lundy trail? I may be confused though, and I know reports can have errors.
Mariposa residents John Gerrish, Ellen Chung, their daughter, Miju, and family dog, Oski, were found dead Tuesday on the Savage-Lundy Trail in Devil’s Gulch near Hites Cove.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/article253642528.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The family’s bodies were found on the Savage-Lundy Trail, which is popular in the spring because of its colorful wildflower blooms. Mitchell said Wednesday it is very hot at this time of year and there is little shade.

She said the family was well prepared for a day hike.

Initial autopsy fails to reveal what killed a Northern California family and their dog on a hiking trail near Yosemite

To me that sounds like he is guessing until he finds more info about Algae blooms and their toxicity.
Respectfully, I believe that Mariposa County Sheriff Jeremy Briese would take exception to him guessing about this investigation but rather that he's executing a by-the-book law enforcement investigation, excluding information by a methodical, process. MOO

Does anyone know how/why the deputy in the sheriff’s office would know that they’d recently purchased a house near the trail? That detail is odd to me. He had a hunch and went up to the trail that night. But how did he know about the house?

Last night I looked on the Sheriff"s log and found a missing person 'a report had been taken at 11 pm in the area of Hite's Cove. I didn't think it was the trail at the time and probably meant the community. Since the Sheriff was so quick to connect the trail to the family, I looked to see if there were any houses recently bought in that area. There was one bought in late July and sure enough it was to the Gerrish family. Turns out they could almost walked to the trail.

Yeah that stood out to me, too. In the middle of the night, no less.

Mariposa residents John Gerrish, Ellen Chung, their daughter, Miju, and family dog, Oski, were found dead Tuesday on the Savage-Lundy Trail in Devil’s Gulch near Hites Cove.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/article253642528.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The family’s bodies were found on the Savage-Lundy Trail, which is popular in the spring because of its colorful wildflower blooms. Mitchell said Wednesday it is very hot at this time of year and there is little shade.

She said the family was well prepared for a day hike.

Initial autopsy fails to reveal what killed a Northern California family and their dog on a hiking trail near Yosemite
Thank you for clarification!!!

The trail they were found on is described as “the most difficult trail in the area.” Hite Cove and Merced River | Discover Yosemite National Park

“Savage/Lundy Trail is a 3-mile long trail and is the most difficult trail in the area. The other trailhead is at the end of Jerseydale Road. Dispersed camping is allowed but campfire permits are required.”

I looked to see if there were any houses recently bought in that area. There was one bought in late July and sure enough it was to the Gerrish family. Turns out they could almost walked to the trail.

Yeah that stood out to me, too. In the middle of the night, no less.

The couple were known to be avid hikers. Their friend, Mariposa real estate agent Sidney Radanovich, said Gerrish was a San Francisco-based software designer who, with his wife, "fell in love with the Mariposa area" and bought several homes there, a residence for themselves and rental investments.

"They were such a loving couple. They loved each other quite a bit," Radanovich told the San Francisco Chronicle. "He loved showing the baby all sorts of things and explaining them to her."
^^rsbbm

I think their real estate agent would have notified authorities when they were missing in the area.

I just read that babies under 5 years are much more at risk for heat stroke than children or adults. It's so terrible to think of, but what if the baby died, and the parents were overcome with grief and guilt, and those emotions made it even harder for the parents to save themselves. So the cause of death was broken hearts and heatstroke for the parents? It would have been a truly devastating, horrible experience many parents couldn't live through.

I just read that babies under 5 years are much more at risk for heat stroke than children or adults. It's so terrible to think of, but what if the baby died, and the parents were overcome with grief and guilt, and those emotions made it even harder for the parents to save themselves. So the cause of death was broken hearts and heatstroke for the parents? It would have been a truly devastating, horrible experience many parents couldn't live through.
that's been my theory for awhile because I briefly experienced a similar thing when our son was about 18 months. Husband had him in a backpack thing and we were at LA zoo. It was a really hot day---Son fell asleep and we thought that was fine----but we went into a shady structure to sit and I took him out and he looked so hot and cheeks were red and flushed---and he was groggy---took him to 1st aid room and they said he had heat related issue---they put cold packs on him, and we were so scared and embarrassed that we let it happen....it was awful.

That is why I have been leaning towards this because I was told by the doctor that babies are very vulnerable to heat exhaustion and it can easily be overlooked because you think they are napping...

California toxic algae: Family and dog dead in Sierra National Forest

Sheriff's spokesperson Kristie Mitchell told USA TODAY investigators are considering various possible causes including toxic algae reported in the nearby Merced River and poisonous gases from nearby abandoned mines. The autopsy did rule out blunt force trauma and gunshot wounds, Mitchell said. Although rattlesnake bites are still being considered as a cause, Mitchell said it's unlikely because no physical evidence was found.

California toxic algae: Family and dog dead in Sierra National Forest

Sheriff's spokesperson Kristie Mitchell told USA TODAY investigators are considering various possible causes including toxic algae reported in the nearby Merced River and poisonous gases from nearby abandoned mines. The autopsy did rule out blunt force trauma and gunshot wounds, Mitchell said. Although rattlesnake bites are still being considered as a cause, Mitchell said it's unlikely because no physical evidence was found.

It's odd the Sheriff's office mentions rattlesnakes bites, but nowhere have I seen them really mention heat exhaustion/heat stroke with temperatures of 107-109.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419