UT - Kylen Schulte, 24, & Crystal Beck, 38, newlywed couple found dead, Grand County, 18 Aug 2021

swedeheart

Reaction score
Family and friends of two women found dead in the Grand County outback say they were a well-loved newlywed Moab couple.

The two women, who family members identify as Kylen Schulte and Crystal Beck, were found dead in the South Mesa area of the La Sal Loop Road in Grand County.

A news release from the Grand County Sheriff’s Office on Facebook says: “On Aug. 18, Grand County Sheriff’s Office was notified of two deceased females located in the South Mesa area of the La Sal Loop Road in Grand County.”

“The cause of death is still under investigation,” the news release says.

Before they were found, a family member of Schulte posted on Facebook: “Kylen and Crystal are MISSING!!! THEY MUST BE IN THE SILVER KIA VAN. Because the black van and Harley are at McDs. Please help look for my girls or their KIA. Haven’t been to work. Haven’t called. Not in hospital. Not in Moab jail. Police have an ATL out.”

The family member then posted an update Wednesday morning: “Kylen and Crystal told close friends that there was a weirdo camping near them that was freaking them out!!! And that they should move campsites. Now they have been missing for over four days and nights!”

-Official FB page: page: Log into Facebook

-FB Post from Grand County Sheriff's office:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 20.13.57.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 20.13.57.png
    516.4 KB · Views: 113
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 20.14.06.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 20.14.06.png
    312 KB · Views: 80
They were found by a friend. :(

Friend of dead couple describes searching the mountains for them | The Times-Independent

"Hunter, who said she was friends with Schulte, who worked at Moonflower Co-op, set out Wednesday morning to find the couple after speaking with Schulte’s father, Sean-Paul Schulte, the day prior. She said that he was concerned that she had not been seen for three days, but he could not go looking himself because he lives in Montana.

“Sean-Paul Schulte had been begging people in Utah to find his girls,” Hunter said. “Sean and his daughter were some of my first customers in my store when I was on Center Street, so they’ve just always had a special place in my heart.”

Hunter said that the police had gone to look for the couple at popular camping spots in the La Sals, but Sean-Paul Schulte told her that he was worried that they had missed something.

So, she decided to go look herself. “He needs answers,” she recalled thinking.

<snip>

"While she was on the mountain, Hunter said that Sean-Paul Schulte called her to say he had just learned that the couple had talked at the bars on Saturday about a “creeper dude,” as Hunter put it, being near their campsite before they left.

The women said at the tavern that they had been scared and “needed to move their campsite,” Hunter said."

<snip>

"After searching near some popular camping sites, she spotted the couple’s car a few miles from Warner Lake. She notified law enforcement and Schulte’s father.

“I stopped my car and I called the police right then,” Hunter said. “I told them, ‘I think I just found their car.'”

Hunter looked around the campsite and said she “noticed a few things that were off,” and after looking around, she came across Kylen Schulte’s body.

“I saw what I believed was Kylen’s body,” Hunter said. Police later found Beck’s body in the area.

Hunter said she struggled to tell Sean-Paul what she had found because he and she were both “devastated” by the circumstances.

“He was like, ‘get back in your (expletive) car, roll up your windows now, lock your doors, get out of there — you need to get out of there,'” Hunter recalled."

They were found by a friend. :(

Friend of dead couple describes searching the mountains for them | The Times-Independent

"Hunter, who said she was friends with Schulte, who worked at Moonflower Co-op, set out Wednesday morning to find the couple after speaking with Schulte’s father, Sean-Paul Schulte, the day prior. She said that he was concerned that she had not been seen for three days, but he could not go looking himself because he lives in Montana.

“Sean-Paul Schulte had been begging people in Utah to find his girls,” Hunter said. “Sean and his daughter were some of my first customers in my store when I was on Center Street, so they’ve just always had a special place in my heart.”

Hunter said that the police had gone to look for the couple at popular camping spots in the La Sals, but Sean-Paul Schulte told her that he was worried that they had missed something.

So, she decided to go look herself. “He needs answers,” she recalled thinking.

<snip>

"While she was on the mountain, Hunter said that Sean-Paul Schulte called her to say he had just learned that the couple had talked at the bars on Saturday about a “creeper dude,” as Hunter put it, being near their campsite before they left.

The women said at the tavern that they had been scared and “needed to move their campsite,” Hunter said."

<snip>

"After searching near some popular camping sites, she spotted the couple’s car a few miles from Warner Lake. She notified law enforcement and Schulte’s father.

“I stopped my car and I called the police right then,” Hunter said. “I told them, ‘I think I just found their car.'”

Hunter looked around the campsite and said she “noticed a few things that were off,” and after looking around, she came across Kylen Schulte’s body.

“I saw what I believed was Kylen’s body,” Hunter said. Police later found Beck’s body in the area.

Hunter said she struggled to tell Sean-Paul what she had found because he and she were both “devastated” by the circumstances.

“He was like, ‘get back in your (expletive) car, roll up your windows now, lock your doors, get out of there — you need to get out of there,'” Hunter recalled."

Gosh, that's so terrible.:(

Family and friends of two women found dead in the Grand County outback say they were a well-loved newlywed Moab couple.

The two women, who family members identify as Kylen Schulte and Crystal Beck, were found dead in the South Mesa area of the La Sal Loop Road in Grand County.

A news release from the Grand County Sheriff’s Office on Facebook says: “On Aug. 18, Grand County Sheriff’s Office was notified of two deceased females located in the South Mesa area of the La Sal Loop Road in Grand County.”

“The cause of death is still under investigation,” the news release says.

Before they were found, a family member of Schulte posted on Facebook: “Kylen and Crystal are MISSING!!! THEY MUST BE IN THE SILVER KIA VAN. Because the black van and Harley are at McDs. Please help look for my girls or their KIA. Haven’t been to work. Haven’t called. Not in hospital. Not in Moab jail. Police have an ATL out.”

The family member then posted an update Wednesday morning: “Kylen and Crystal told close friends that there was a weirdo camping near them that was freaking them out!!! And that they should move campsites. Now they have been missing for over four days and nights!”

-Official FB page: page: Log into Facebook

-FB Post from Grand County Sheriff's office:

There is no danger to the community?? How so?

Well the "creeper" they mentioned would definitely be suspect #1 for me.

I wonder if this is a campground where you have to register to stay there or if it's dispersed camping and you can kind of just camp wherever freely?

If it is the Warner lake campground then it does seem to have a website where you can reserve campsites ( if it was where they were camping)

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/mantilasal/recreation/camping-cabins/recarea/?recid=73218&actid=29

"The father reported that a person of interest had been questioned and released by police, but his daughter's killer was still out there. "

taken from the link posted above

i hope more clarity becomes available soon in regards to this

Once again, so little information. Puzzling though............
Crystal and Kalen were homeless, so camped out after they were done working. They had a van that was converted to a camper, but left that behind in Moab for this camping trip.
Police say " no danger to the community " but also state they found no gun at the murder site.
Crystal and Kalen told friends of a "creeper dude" that pitched a tent near them and they were going to move camp sites. Odd timing on that, and no real news on if they moved.
Crystal and Kalen were discovered by a friend who took it upon herself to help find them.

May justice be served

I had the same thought!!!
This made me think they were targeted for a specific reason. I question if they were killed for a confrontation over their lifestyle. Of course that wouldn't mean there wasn't a danger to the public but perhaps that's the thought process behind that statement.
Exactly what I was thinking from the start. The statement makes me think we are right. Otherwise, how could they know there was no danger to the community?

Well the "creeper" they mentioned would definitely be suspect #1 for me.

I wonder if this is a campground where you have to register to stay there or if it's dispersed camping and you can kind of just camp wherever freely?

It sounds as though, listening to family members speak, that they moved from camp site to camp site. They were homeless, so I'm making the guess that they camped in areas where they did not have to pay nightly fees. One oddity, for me, is that they owned a van that was converted to a camper, but they left that in Moab. Perhaps the van was broken down. I don't know.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back