Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #77 *ARREST*

Do you feel BM will go to trial?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So is that string shirt and white shorts the clothing she wore to sleep in or?.... because didn't Barry say he saw a lump in the bed or kissed her on the forehead while she was still asleep before he left for work? Why wouldn't he just say she was wearing her pajamas or under a blanket so he didn't know what exactly she was wearing? Or did I miss something? <modnsip>
The only thing I’ve heard about the white shorts outfit is this tweet from LS from the Courtroom. On LS’s YouTube Live she said that BM’s story about that repeatedly changed. Sometimes he said SM was unclothed.

CBI noted that #BarryMorphew used past tense when speaking about #SuzanneMorphew. "I just wished you knew her, how amazing she was." He told investigators that she was last wearing white shorts, and a string-type shirt.

https://twitter.com/laurenscharftv/status/1429911421572235273?s=21

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Lame. This was a waste of time. The prosecution has nothing or it's so flimsy that the judge needs weeks to lay down the excuses why he's letting bM out of jail so people don't lose their minds. If the prosecution had one bit of actual hard evidence and they didn't present it here then shame on them. And if they didn't have it, why did they go forward??? They failed miserably!!!!

This smells of bureaucracy. They weren't ready and someone up the chain of command made them go forward with the arrest for some reason. Just my opinion of course but this stinks.

Yea, probably the brand new DA... Just a guess...

Every reason to, if you are thinking only about yourself. Ask the daughters how they feel about their mom meeting up in motel rooms with an old high school friend. It’s not a crime, but I guarantee it hurt the girls. Barry’s a killer and SM’s a cheater. Completely different categories but neither one of them reflect good character.
Jmo
He knew he wouldn’t let her out of the marriage, and she felt completely trapped. He even said himself that marriage was forever, before he hilariously shifted his view in later interviews.

Most women would get a divorce and move on. She had no such luxury.

She finally pulled the trigger, then he did the same.

Literally.

This man isn’t living in the same reality as the rest of us.

Don’t forget, this is the same guy who attempted to vote for his dead wife.

A guy who would have us believe he was shooting chipmunks, looking for a long dead turkey, chasing a herd of elk that don’t even herd that time of year, and tranquilizing deer from the comfort of his garage just to saw their antlers off.

A guy who told insane lies to the FBI in regards to his supposed alibi, even though that could be easily and completely refuted.

A man who seems to have justified murder by twisting his religion.

He likely thinks “no body, no crime.”

The thing is, you shouldn’t be rewarded for successfully getting rid of a body.

Let’s hope Barry learns a hard lesson.

Quote from @MassGuy “The thing is, you shouldn’t be rewarded for successfully getting rid of a body.”

This right here. He thinks he should. Defense thinks he should. And unfortunately his daughters, mother and sister are right behind him. I think they all believe it’s in God’s hands.

God help us all when people believe these things are what he wants for the living to believe. Hoping our justice system prevails.

This man isn’t living in the same reality as the rest of us.

Don’t forget, this is the same guy who attempted to vote for his dead wife.

A guy who would have us believe he was shooting chipmunks, looking for a long dead turkey, chasing a herd of elk that don’t even herd that time of year, and tranquilizing deer from the comfort of his garage just to saw their antlers off.

A guy who told insane lies to the FBI in regards to his supposed alibi, even though that could be easily and completely refuted.

A man who seems to have justified murder by twisting his religion.

He likely thinks “no body, no crime.”

The thing is, you shouldn’t be rewarded for successfully getting rid of a body.

Let’s hope Barry learns a hard lesson.

They literally take your truck and all your guns away for this, before they even get to fines and other penalties. Along with hunting in the dark (what time did he see that elk herd in the full moon light??). A great hunter would know that, so admitting it is... :rolleyes:

Quote from @MassGuy “The thing is, you shouldn’t be rewarded for successfully getting rid of a body.”

This right here. He thinks he should. Defense thinks he should. And unfortunately his daughters, mother and sister are right behind him. I think they all believe it’s in God’s hands.

God help us all when people believe these things are what he wants for the living to believe. Hoping our justice system prevails.
bbm
Yes it would appear that way.
So disrespectful to Suzanne's memory.
But that's my take on this.
Others' mileage may vary.
MOO.

Last edited:
They literally take your truck and all your guns away for this, before they even get to fines and other penalties. Along with hunting in the dark (what time did he see that elk herd in the full moon light??). A great hunter would know that, so admitting it is... :rolleyes:
Yes! A great hunter would also know that mountain lions don’t attack people without a leaving a trace, conceal a bicycle, remove a helmet, and cover their tracks.

So we have Barry pushing a scenario that he knows better than to push, then admitting to other crimes and bizarre actions that make no sense to any other Hunter.

Or any of us.

Iirc, at one hearing where BM’s Defense asked for charges to be reduced and bond issued they argued that although Colorado law allows no bond on capital cases, that this is not a capital case. IE argued that the death penalty was repealed before BM’s alleged charge ( May 9-10, 2020). She said it was for crimes charged before July 1, 2020 and the Judge corrected her and said it’s for crimes committed before July 1, 2020 therefore this IS a capital case in his eyes. No one is saying BM is eligible for the DP, but that was the Judge’s position on Bond at that hearing.

JMO

Worth repeating. So very interesting. Thank you muches!

I wish Grusing was asked to elaborate on this “tracking.”

I definitely believe that was true, but I’d like to know what form that took.

He was creeping around the house earlier in the afternoon (turkey), and there just had to have been a nefarious reason for that.

He texted Suzanne minutes before he got home (I think he wanted to know where she was, as he had the dart prepared by then).

Grusing has been around the block, getting inside the heads of a double wife killer and a father who killed his son (Henthorn and Redwine).

He fooled Barry to such a degree, that he even commented something to the effect of “how could you do this to me?”

So behaviorally, he knew Barry was tracking Suzanne. Maybe that’ll come at trial.

In addition to the texts, I believe BM called her 11 times while she was on her phone with JL right before BM got home — it sounds like the calls went unanswered; she was ignoring him — I mean 11 times, obsess much, BM?

In addition to the texts, I believe BM called her 11 times while she was on her phone with JL right before BM got home — it sounds like the calls went unanswered; she was ignoring him — I mean 11 times, obsess much, BM?
Yes. He needed her to be there, as I’m convinced he had the dart loaded. I don’t think he even closed the truck door when he arrived (if I’m not mistaken).

Judge held him all summer on the basis of an AA he didn't think was adequate. Hate to say he's going home with "time served" on 9/17. If I were DA Lindsey, I would not be confident. I would be looking even harder for a body & making sure the next arrest warrant is shorter and much more persuasive.
JMHO - What do I know? I'm not a lawyer.

I don't recall the judge ever saying he didn't think the AA was adequate.
Of course it's entirely possible I missed something.

Respectfully disagree - I would say the opposite. I believe the Judge clearly stated that there was more than enough in the AA for him to have signed the arrest warrant and criticized the prosecution for making it too long. He said it did way more than serve its purpose to establish probable cause for an arrest.

You can find these statements if you go back through the order that the Judge signed and read the WS threads here at the time that statement was released (there were some tweets from reporters, too, I believe). The Judge definitely said out loud that the AA was too long, that parts of it played no part in his decision and should therefore not have been put in, in order to persuade him, because he was already persuaded. And yes, he did sign the arrest warrant, IMO.

That being said, I'm not overly confident that this is going forward as Murder One. They are looking hard for a body (said LE recently) and I believe LS reported on some of that searching (mines for example).

He can't go home with "time served" on September 17, because "time served" relates only to a sentence. Unless you think he's going to plead out, if so, please clarify that you think he'll plead to M2. And that the judge would then drop all the enhancements (including DV, which is of course included in M2 if that's how he pleads). Then the Judge would have to give the minimum sentence (4 years) and meet the State's sentencing requirements for when he gets out on probation (he'll be at 4.5 months of time served).

IMO, he will not be sentenced to anything on Sept. 17. His attorneys will consider a reduction in charges to be a HUGE victory and will want to take it on to trial for even further reductions in Barry's prison time.

And I don't think the illegal gun charge is going to be dropped. At all.
Respectfully, I just reread his order and I suppose I could infer "he was already persuaded" but I don't. To me, one of the reasons for withholding it was that he was not convinced by it. So we will just have to agree to disagree on that point, keeping in mind that my legal knowledge is limited, making my assessment perhaps less precise than yours.
JMHO

I’m curious as to how often are decisions not rendered at the end of the prelim. I think this was definitely premeditated but I don’t think the state proved it their theory suggests murder 2. I see this as a win for BM…still thinking the judge will bind murder 2 with bail. More waiting!

To me, it sounds as if the defense has just won their client another month of sitting in jail in uncertainty, before he is bound over for trial.

They hammered and hammered the court with objection after objection. Throwing in unrelated items (eg: what does the DNA in Suzanne's car have to do with Suzanne going missing on a "bike ride"? Pretty sure most of us have other DNA in our cars from strangers who perform car service duties, car salespeople, people who previously owned the car, car detailers, etc). Doing all they could to muddy the waters.

While this is their job (sort of), they haven't given the judge a moment to think clearly.
It is a shame the decision has been delayed ... but I can see why the judge has to step away and go through the evidence, and be able to think clearly.

Can the judge bind BM over for Murder 2 when Murder 2 is not the charge? Surely the prosecution would have to change the charge for that to happen?

Last edited:
He knew he wouldn’t let her out of the marriage, and she felt completely trapped. He even said himself that marriage was forever, before he hilariously shifted his view in later interviews.

Most women would get a divorce and move on. She had no such luxury.

She finally pulled the trigger, then he did the same.

Literally.

Dear @MassGuy,

Exactly!

Once Suzanne was physically isolated (moving to Colorado), away from her friends and family, the "trap" began.

It's almost impossible to physically hide one's anguish from a friend when they drop in for a visit or run into them around town (Indiana), but it's possible over texts and telephone.

Many victims of Domestic Violence hide the true situation they are experiencing - due to fear or unwarranted shame.

We all know, too well, the time when the person has decided to leave - is the most dangerous time. It was that same month that S.M. told B.M. "it was over".

Murdered victims of domestic violence most likely never believed that their partners would actually kill them. But they did.

JMO

Last edited:

There is enough circumstantial evidence to convict BM already made public. The key is methodical presentation of that evidence....and communicating it to a jury in such a way that it is clear, common sensical, accurate and understandable. The jury will process what they are given...

RBBM
We are all just squirrels just living in his world as the song goes.
I don’t know that song, do you know who sings it? Is it the same one that says I’m just a squirrel trying to get a nut? :D

From the beginning I couldn’t help seeing Barry as Gaston from Beauty & the Beast! Gaston is an egomaniac who sees himself as the big strong, handsome, great hunter that all women would be lucky to have. And he just couldn’t understand why Belle didn’t want to be with him. He was furious that she rejected him and chose the Beast over him. And he has a large posse of friends who think he hung the moon. Sound familiar? :rolleyes: My favorite line is at the end of the song…“I use antlers in all of my decorating!”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unsilent_bob