Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #78 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
They took photos - and I know from the Gerard Baden Clay murder trial, the doctor that testified was testifying about his fingernail scratch injuries from photos taken by the police and entered into evidence.

On May 13, photographs were taken of Barry Morphew at the Department of Public Health. He had injuries on both of his hands, and three scratch marks on one of his upper arms.
Barry Morphew had injuries to his hands and scratch marks on his arm after wife's disappearance

I wonder why this wasn't done on the 10th or the 11th at the latest. Why wasn't his body checked immediately?

They took photos - and I know from the Gerard Baden Clay murder trial, the doctor that testified was testifying about his fingernail scratch injuries from photos taken by the police and entered into evidence.

On May 13, photographs were taken of Barry Morphew at the Department of Public Health. He had injuries on both of his hands, and three scratch marks on one of his upper arms.
Barry Morphew had injuries to his hands and scratch marks on his arm after wife's disappearance
Was there any evidence submitted at the PH that supported these were fingernail scratches? I seem to recall that the defence dismissed them as such, but cannot recall if the witness said, no - our expert says they are fingernail scratches and they are x days old?

I wonder why this wasn't done on the 10th or the 11th at the latest. Why wasn't his body checked immediately?

Maybe he didn't give permission immediately? I don't think that the police can just infringe on a person's body without their permission or a warrant. Unless they are arresting them or restraining them, of course.

I know that the police have had to get warrants to take a DNA test on a person who didn't comply. Presumably the same thing applies if they want a person to strip down and allow them to examine and take photos of marks on their body.

Was there any evidence submitted at the PH that supported these were fingernail scratches? I seem to recall that the defence dismissed them as such, but cannot recall if the witness said, no - our expert says they are fingernail scratches and they are x days old?

I think the photos were introduced at the Prelim Hearing. I posted before (about the scratches on Gerard Baden Clay) how distinctive fingernail scratches are, as compared to other types of scratches. There are certain characteristics involved.

I don't know if an expert's opinion was submitted as well. Although I am pretty sure they will have expert opinion at the trial.

I don't think J Murphy signed the AA. It would be unusual for the judge who signed the AA to actually be the judge who was presiding over the trial.
Apparently he did sign it, as reported by LS last night. LS also mentioned it on a YouTube video that Defense counsel IE revealed it in Court yesterday when she was trying to convince the Judge that he shouldn’t need more time to make a decision.

Judge will decide if Barry Morphew’s case will go to trial in September | FOX21 News Colorado

The entire affidavit is 130 pages long. Judge Murphy signed off on the arrest affidavit.

I cannot read it (outside the US). Are you able to cut and paste the relevant part of the article please?

Here ya go:

Cahill confirmed that Barry Morphew had been excluded from the DNA on Suzanne’s bike grips, a cushion in her car, and on her glove box. There were some issues, however, as Cahill noted he never saw the final version of the arrest affidavit and, in fact, only reviewed the first 19 pages. The entire affidavit is 130 pages long. Judge Murphy signed off on the arrest affidavit.

Can you explain, how it was mostly SMs money?
According to Andy, Suzanne had put about $500,000 of her inheritance money into the house, but I've never heard their money was mostly her money.

Other than that I don't think she had any income herself so was probably completely dependent on BM for money. He was said to control the finances and pay the bills. Forcing Suzanne to ask for money was just another way to control her. Imo

I watched the prosecution team interview last night. I’m concerned. I think that the Judge will probably bind over for trial, but I am unsure about M1 or M2. I expected more of a smoking gun. Without Suzanne’s body and phone, this is tougher. Barry seemed to cover those tracks well. No article of clothing or anything tying to Suzanne seems to have been recovered from the trash dumps. Suzanne told her best friend about Barry having affairs, when she actually was the one doing that. Prosecution did not find evidence of Barry having affairs. So could Suzanne have been lying? If she was lying to make herself look better when she left him, could she have been lying about the domestic violence? I’m just trying to think like a juror, this isn’t my opinion. We know what he did. Would we put him in jail for life based on this evidence? And I want more fire from the prosecution. Make me feel you are fighting for what you believe in. Fight for Suzanne.

Why was the “tampering of a deceased human body” charged never addressed?

I want to know this too. I can’t understand why there wasn’t a concise summary by prosecution at some point.

Something like this COMPLETELY FICTIONAL timeline:

We believe:
Barry murdered Suzanne at 3 pm
Moved her body at 4 pm
Retrieved another vehicle and moved her body again between 6 - 10 pm
Staged the bike crash at 4 am
Headed to Broomfield 5 am

I have my thoughts regarding ATM Barry. I’ve been trying to be quiet about it but my absolute ever first original thought about loyalty by certain members of the family was $$$$$$$$$. What would happen if that was gone? What would happen to those who knew only one type of lifestyle? No vacations, no Nike Air Force ones custom made, no Louis Vuitton’s , no 100 bathing suits, no range rovers. What happens then ??
May I ask who has a Louis bag?

I have my thoughts regarding ATM Barry. I’ve been trying to be quiet about it but my absolute ever first original thought about loyalty by certain members of the family was $$$$$$$$$. What would happen if that was gone? What would happen to those who knew only one type of lifestyle? No vacations, no Nike Air Force ones custom made, no Louis Vuitton’s , no 100 bathing suits, no range rovers. What happens then ??
DBM
Do we have a link that confirms BM said that SM did not have and ATM card that HE was her ATM? I’ve been asked downthread. Therefore deleted my response.

Last edited:
I think the photos were introduced at the Prelim Hearing. I posted before (about the scratches on Gerard Baden Clay) how distinctive fingernail scratches are, as compared to other types of scratches. There are certain characteristics involved.

I don't know if an expert's opinion was submitted as well. Although I am pretty sure they will have expert opinion at the trial.
Who doesn't get scratches working construction with heavy equipment!!

Here ya go:

Cahill confirmed that Barry Morphew had been excluded from the DNA on Suzanne’s bike grips, a cushion in her car, and on her glove box. There were some issues, however, as Cahill noted he never saw the final version of the arrest affidavit and, in fact, only reviewed the first 19 pages. The entire affidavit is 130 pages long. Judge Murphy signed off on the arrest affidavit.
His DNA can likely also be excluded from the neighbor's house down the road, the daycare center in town and local museum. This game could have no ending.

(1) So you believe Judge Murphy is "the Court" that signed off on the arrest? (2) And that redaction was his main concern?

I don't think that (1) is correct. I think a different judge did that, which weakens your reasoning.

With regard to (2), I believe the MSM motion was correct in questioning whether the redaction being time consuming and would hold up the defense's investigation (which the law does not recognize as probative) was good legal reasoning. As the MSM indicated, justice does not depend on the convenience of the parties, it depends on following the law, the public's presumptive right to know in a speedy manner.
JMHO
Facts might undermine my reasoning, but your unsupported beliefs don't IMO.

In addition to the language of the order affirming that Judge Murphy signed the Arrest Warrant, and a news report that says that Judge Murphy signed the arrest warrant, he is not only assigned to Chaffee County, but also the only judge in the district with the level of criminal law experience to make that decision in a capital case. For example, the judge assigned to County Court for Chaffee was appointed only a year ago. She has 5 years of experience as a public defender.

You can believe what you want based on imagination, bias and prejudice, but the available information supports an inference that Judge Murphy signed the Arrest Warrant.

IMO, your belief in the MSM position is undermined by the fact that the MSM didn't appeal Judge Murphy's decision after he thoroughly refuted their arguments.

There is absolutely no reason to believe your original point, which was IIRC, that Judge Murphy doubted the sufficiency of the AA to establish probable cause.

Last edited:
Excellent thought!!

I’ve missed so much with the threads running so quickly so I just learned that SM was not allowed to have an ATM card?? What a beast!! Control freak on steroids, literally AND figuratively. :mad: ATM Barry likely didn’t want SM debiting and the bank machine responding “insufficient funds” exposing their true financial situation. Can’t wait to see their financials. Barry doing cash jobs, paying in cash, poor Suzanne having to “beg” for money. What a louse. Barry the good “provider.” :rolleyes: I have to wonder if Suzanne was in possession of at least a credit card for emergency purchases??

Yesterday was a bit disappointing as many of us were expecting a bombshell. I think the bombshell is securely hidden in the AA the Judge seems reluctant to release and the Defense is fighting to keep sealed. That, in addition to all the information we did hear during the 4 days of the PH give me confidence this WILL go to trial and BM will remain in jail for the duration. I mean, seriously, how many lies can one man tell without losing ALL credibility?? JMO.

Now, patiently waiting for 9/17!!
RBBM - I'm not sure we know that's true? Did you have a link?

• Barry claimed Suzanne was using alcohol and drugs, and when she needed money she went to him. He was her ATM.

Morphew: Hearing continues with questioning of FBI agent

What I cannot fathom is that if BM is her ATM, how did she manage to go and meet JL unless JL paid for her travel. And what was BM doing during those trips ? If SM had been working she could have disguised them as work trips. How did she manage to hoodwink BM and managed to have an affair across states ? I guess it could be that BM never thought SM was capable of cheating and may be trusted her. So it could be that during the weekend, either SM could have admitted the affair to him so that he would leave her or he could have come across the chats and went on to murder her. I believe what JL has said that if BM had known earlier he would have definitely clashed with JL knowing he had a family as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆