Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #78 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! not only a conflict, but how can he NOT have come to a decision?
He's doing his job. He will go over his notes and tick off the boxes as elements of the charges are supported by evidence that was presented at the hearing. He cannot rely on the AA for this decision. This case is extraordinary in the amount of evidence he must consider, and he is going to do his due diligence in making his decisions, on probable cause AND bond eligibility.

IMO; It almost seems like this PH was a test, as in the Prosecution was starting to build up some things that they have and share some of their story line. I think they are smart and not letting on what is really in the 130 pages, it doesn't seem like we heard much of what a 130 page AA would have, but I don't know. I think the AA may be enough to seal the inevitable and so they are getting some of these things out that will certainly be disputed, while at the same time starting to reveal that they do have quite a bit and BM has some explaining to do. The defense continues to show how they are going to be.

Was thinking about how the items that were presented would go with BM on the stand answering detailed questions about those items when he is asked to explain some of the items while trying to keep his story together. Might also be somewhat entertaining to see the Jury reactions to the explanation he gives to the chipmunk hunting when even the native jumping mice are a protected species in CO...

The prosecution has done a great job at keeping tight lipped about what they have and what is in the AA, not really letting on to their side of the story. Watching the prosecution seems to me like they trained well in poker face, at least I hope so.

Why present or pick the bits of evidence that they did out of the 130 pages...

Just some random thoughts in my opinion

IMO; It almost seems like this PH was a test, as in the Prosecution was starting to build up some things that they have and share some of their story line. I think they are smart and not letting on what is really in the 130 pages, it doesn't seem like we heard much of what a 130 page AA would have, but I don't know. I think the AA may be enough to seal the inevitable and so they are getting some of these things out that will certainly be disputed, while at the same time starting to reveal that they do have quite a bit and BM has some explaining to do. The defense continues to show how they are going to be.

Was thinking about how the items that were presented would go with BM on the stand answering detailed questions about those items when he is asked to explain some of the items while trying to keep his story together. Might also be somewhat entertaining to see the Jury reactions to the explanation he gives to the chipmunk hunting when even the native jumping mice are a protected species in CO...

The prosecution has done a great job at keeping tight lipped about what they have and what is in the AA, not really letting on to their side of the story. Watching the prosecution seems to me like they trained well in poker face, at least I hope so.

Why present or pick the bits of evidence that they did out of the 130 pages...

Just some random thoughts in my opinion
If the prosecution had any bombshells I think they would have presented it at the hearing. Not presenting it runs the risk of the judge dismissing a major charge. And that's where we stand now -- uncertain how the judge will rule because some areas of evidence are quite thin.

You and I are 100% on the same page. I don't really understand the point of the PH if the AA was enough to arrest him for these charges, why isn't it enough to go to trial? Why would the judge approve having BM arrested on the charges submitted but not feel its enough to go to trial? This is extremely confusing and even more confusing if Judge Murphy is the judge that signed the AA. If a different judge signed the AA I could see Murphy disagreeing, but not if he is the one who signed it.
Just had a thought. Could there be something in the AA that is such explosive conjecture (maybe another serious crime by BM) that releasing the AA will be damningly prejudicial? And if so, why did he allow it to go forward for an arrest? There's got to be more to this.
JMO

If the prosecution had any bombshells I think they would have presented it at the hearing. Not presenting it runs the risk of the judge dismissing a major charge. And that's where we stand now -- uncertain how the judge will rule because some areas of evidence are quite thin.

Yes, and realize that everything is shared with defense, so it's not like they are capable of "hiding" anything. I'd love to know what has been offered, in term of a plea deal, since the prosecution's case is so thin. It's like they figured arresting him, when they did, was last best chance to get him to spill the beans.

If the judge thinks or is swayed the usual suspect did it....and he was close to cracking (asking for immunity once).....and he wants to end this asap......would he not put the usual suspect back in his cage .....emotionally exhausted and defeated ( consoled by defense team).......allowing his concience to work to coherce a plea deal ??? And veil it with a "being carefull...alot to digest "explanation? And could or would a request to do so by the DA be ok,or done in past or wrong ie....."Hey judge we think he will confess with a little more jail time he almost opened up to our guard in there this guys ready to crack....Can u cross your t's and dot your i's for a a few weeks or 4? Motown

Best moment of the day: learning that BM had 2 bailiffs monitoring his movements in the courtroom so he would adhere to the "no communication" rules.

The Controller becomes the Controlled. Get used to it, Barry.

The tranquilizer:

If we assume BM used the normal animal tranquilizer, ketamine, I can give some insight into its effects on a human. I was on a medical trial for a ketamine nose spray to be used to treat depression. Obviously the doses I was given were intended for human use and not intended to knock me out completely. During my treatments I would receive my first dose of 1 spray in each nostril first, then 15 minutes later I would receive a second round of 1 spray in each nostril. The first dose didn't really do anything notable. The 2nd dose usually kicked in after about 5 minutes. At this point, the doctor would question me about how I was feeling, whether I felt dizzy or not, if I felt like my mind was separate from my body (hard to explain feeling), EKGs would be performed. I was required to stay in the reclining chair that everything took place in due to the effects on co-ordination. Prior to treatments, I was offered a last chance to use the bathroom because I would be I the recliner for more than 2 hours while the doctor observed me and they did not want me to attempt walking once the doses were administered. Anyway, like I said, the first dose didn't do much, but within a few minutes of the 2nd dose, my thoughts would get really fuzzy, the room/walls around me would start to look wavy, kind of like when the room spins after drinking, from there, the Dr would ask me questions and I had a hard time answering them because my thoughts were muddled and my brain felt out of sync with my mouth. If they had allowed me to get up and walk at that point, I would not have been able to because my muscles didn't feel like they worked anymore. I had a hard time keeping my head up because it felt like my neck couldn't support the weight of my head. All of these feelings would continue for approximately an hour. When the treatment was completed for the day (approximately 2 hours from start to finish) my husband was required to come up to the office and help get me out to the car because my legs still felt like jello. He would get me in the car and drive home which took about 30 minutes. During the ride home, I was still having some effects from the drug. I drove my husband nuts because I was constantly jumping because in my mind he was driving way too fast (he wasn't) and the other cars all seemed like they were trying to play bumper cars with us ( they werent). Once home I would lay down and fall asleep for a few hours. I usually woke up feeling completely normal, but because the effects can continue, I was not allowed to drive for 24 hours following a treatment.

So, all that to say, if Suzanne was shot with a dart containing ketamine, I would assume it's a much larger dose than what I was given, but she definitely would have lost her ability to run from BM pretty quickly and I doubt she would have the muscle function to fight him off after a very short time. Depending on the dose, she could have passed out completely very shortly after the shot. She could have woken back up after, but she would probably still have the effects of the med going on. Ketamine would make it very easy for Barry to overpower her and move her at his leisure and that could continue for hours. In my mind, Barry had alot of time to bury her, push her off a cliff, throw her down a mine shaft, or do any number of things with her before she actually died which could explain the lack of cadaverine. The 3 hour window that has been brought up actually makes alot of sense from my perspective.
Your personal knowledge of this drug's effects reveals more than any conjecture we have seen in the testimony of 8 min or 3-4 minutes for it to make her completely vulnerable. A high dosage could have taken her life in a short time, maybe?
MOO

Here's a puzzle. Why did Barry put his phone into airplane mode at 2:47pm? It had already recorded him coming home, why, in the middle of a chase was that so important to do right then? Why would it look suspicious for example for his phone to be near Suzanne's in their own home? It doesn't appear that they were able to track Suzanne's phone's movements. I get that it seems he had a plan to switch his phone into airplane mode at some point, to hide his whereabouts, but it seems as if it was a priority for him and even that action is going to be a red flag to investigators while he is supposedly in his own home. He could have just put it down somewhere, that would have been less suspicious.
So it wouldn't ring? I know there are other ways to suppress a ring but this would be quick & easy. He was trying to sneak up on her is the assumption, right? IMO

Best moment of the day: learning that BM had 2 bailiffs monitoring his movements in the courtroom so he would adhere to the "no communication" rules.

The Controller becomes the Controlled. Get used to it, Barry.
Excellent post JosieMae.

What has always struck me is how arrogant and entitled BM has appeared from the very beginning of this case. His lack of conforming to rules, from things big to small, shows me just how self absorbed and uncaring he is to everyone in his life.

I think Suzanne paid the ultimate price for not continuing to fall in line with BM's dominance.

MOO

I can't stop thinking about BM's admission that he struck Suzanne. (In typical abuser style, he claims it was an accident and minimizes her injury.) Why admit to this? If there wasn't some sort of proof, he would deny it.

IMO, there are photos and/or eyewitness accounts. Let's not forget the sentence-enhancing DV charge that would not be brought without solid evidence.

I believe the PH was a simmering version of the explosive AA to come.

I do not believe he was at the spa store on that day and at that time - I would need proof either via security camera or a receipt - considering their posted hours close at 2pm...
JMO

Regarding the chlorine smell in the room, and the statement that it was from the pool.

I just read Colorado Covid timeline and came to the conclusion that the state responded fast. Schools were closed on March 16, ski resorts and gyms, in March. Given this, I seriously doubt that the swimming pool in Broomfield, CO, stayed open in May as it would be a violation of Covid policies given that the gyms were closed at that time. If the hotel closed the pool, though, and pumped out the water, the smell of chlorine for 4 months in a room below would indicate serious violation of building codes, or leaks. Having stayed in multitude of hotels, and motels, and inns, in the country and all over the world, I never heard of such a situation, the smell of chlorine in a room above the pool. It would be interesting to see if the pool is even below the rooms, but if it is, as it sometimes happens, there is additional insulation.
P.S. read reviews about the inn on Travelocity and some on Hotels.com. Mostly, positive; people would mention slow room cleaning service. No one said a word about the smell.

Last edited:
I can't stop thinking about BM's admission that he struck Suzanne. (In typical abuser style, he claims it was an accident and minimizes her injury.) Why admit to this? If there wasn't some sort of proof, he would deny it.

IMO, there are photos and/or eyewitness accounts. Let's not forget the sentence-enhancing DV charge that would not be brought without solid evidence.

I agree. Ether that or he was afraid she'd told someone about the DV in their home.

So it wouldn't ring? I know there are other ways to suppress a ring but this would be quick & easy. He was trying to sneak up on her is the assumption, right? IMO
isn't it easier just to turn the sound off? I suppose it depends on the phone though. I don't get this airplane stuff - although I did read on one of the threads it saves battery when you are in the dark zone (with no service).

No, it wasn't the same. I don't believe it was ever stated that it was.
If it was, you can bet MSM (and the defense) would be making a big deal out of it.
I think OP is mistaken.

Unknown DNA was found on Suzanne's bike grips and handlebars. It did not match Barry, although some of Barry's DNA was found on the bike's seat.

There was also DNA found on Suzanne's glovebox in her car. When investigators ran that DNA through a database (CODIS), it was a partial match to three suspects in different sex assault cases: one out of Tempe and another out of Chicago. Those cases are all unsolved.

Court: Unknown DNA found on Suzanne Morphew's bike amid her disappearance - KRDO
Exactly!

Regarding Suzanne's bike, she had new tires installed on Thursday according to the local bike shop manager. His DNA will certainly be on there.

A salesperson who sold the bike, or former owner if it was used, would have DNA on parts of the bike. Maybe someone had put air in her tires for her at one point?

It means nothing, IMO. Suzanne never went on a bike ride Sunday, she was dead.

ETA: MOO

I am starting to think that BM's killing animals' escalation heralded him killing a human. I was laughing at the attempts to connect him to other murders in Indiana, but I wonder if he was growing murderous.

It is a hard thing to discuss, because I am not against hunting; my grandfather was a hunter, I am not a vegetarian, and here many people provide for their families this way. So in general, I don't mind. But cutting off deers antlers (that has to be done by deer farmers and not just anyone living on this earth), plus this taxidermy, plus hunting animals from his house, to me signals escalation. Sooner or later, he would have killed a human. And here was his beautiful wife, who had fallen out of love with him, and loved someone else. He probably wanted to kill her lover, but as a coward, he was afraid of killing a person from another community and a different state. His own wife, easily, and to lawyer up. His daughters, who needed a mother, he didn't think much of.

MG, who worked with BM and moved out of state for fear of him, probably knew what she was doing.
I agree. For all of his braggadocio, he’s not a hunter. A hunter has great respect for the animals he/she is hunting. Barry is just a sicko who gets off on killing things.

Here's a puzzle. Why did Barry put his phone into airplane mode at 2:47pm? It had already recorded him coming home, why, in the middle of a chase was that so important to do right then? Why would it look suspicious for example for his phone to be near Suzanne's in their own home? It doesn't appear that they were able to track Suzanne's phone's movements. I get that it seems he had a plan to switch his phone into airplane mode at some point, to hide his whereabouts, but it seems as if it was a priority for him and even that action is going to be a red flag to investigators while he is supposedly in his own home. He could have just put it down somewhere, that would have been less suspicious.
BBM
Wouldn't they have been able to get her cell phone records by now? We know they have her pings - interesting they did not elaborate on the location of her cell phone other than the selfie she sent during these same hours that his cell phone was in airplane mode unless I missed a tweet? They spent alot of time on his phone though.
IMO
Barry Morphew preliminary hearing: Investigator confirms Suzanne was having a 2-year affair
Walker said the last activity on Suzanne’s phone was from 4:23 a.m. on May 10, 2020. Her phone pinged from a cell tower in Poncha Springs, which is about 10 miles east of Maysville.

Just had a thought. Could there be something in the AA that is such explosive conjecture (maybe another serious crime by BM) that releasing the AA will be damningly prejudicial? And if so, why did he allow it to go forward for an arrest? There's got to be more to this.
JMO

BBM
MOO
If LE was investigating more than 1 crime that they discovered their perpetrator was involved/linked to, would LE not announce that publicly or bring up seperate charges by now? I just feel there would be announcements and disclosure made regarding additional crimes, instead of this information being tucked away in an AA without mention at this point.

I would love for our legal experts or those of you in the know, to weigh in on this and clarify how a scenario like this would typically be handled. TIA

I think you raise an excellent point - in one of the murdered woman cases I've followed, she sent her friends pictures of the beatings the ex gave her - perhaps SM did something similar and that's why the AA was sealed? While revealing the affair may have been harmful to the families involved - I do not personally believe it rises to the "sealing" level; however, DV proof of the husband just might.
JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member