WV - 5-year-old boy found locked in car trunk; Cottageville; Jackson County; 24 Aug 2021

imstilla.grandma

Believer of Miracles
Reaction score
Jackson County Sheriff Ross Mellinger told various media the boy was in grave condition after he was found in the car that was parked in a mobile home park in the Cottageville area.

Mellinger said the boy was discovered when someone who was interested in buying the vehicle opened the trunk. The sheriff said the boy’s parents didn’t know he was missing.

The boy was was taken by helicopter to a hospital.

An investigation is underway.
Sheriff: 5-year-old boy found in car trunk - WV MetroNews

A 5-year-old boy in Jackson County was flown to a nearby hospital and is in "grave" condition after being found in the trunk of a car Tuesday afternoon according to Home.

The call was reported to Jackson County 911 center from Bobo Street in Cottageville around 1:30 p.m., according to Home.

5-year-old boy locked in car in Cottageville on Tuesday afternoon

Last edited:
*Omg, this is disgustingly tragic.

Mellinger said the parents said they did not know the child was missing and had last seen the child the night before when they went to bed. He also said it's unknown how the boy got into the trunk or how long he was there.

"You can't convince me that, in situations like this, that these kids are nothing more than a stimulus check to these types of parents who just live everyday with not knowing what their kids are doing or where they are at," Mellinger said.

The sheriff also said the home was in unlivable conditions and there were three other children inside who also lived at the home between the ages of 1 and 5. "Some of the worst living conditions I've seen in the 20 plus years I've been here at the sheriff's office. Extreme and chronic neglectful living conditions," Mellinger noted.

"We all know what the temperature are today. Brutal at best," the sheriff noted.

Child Protective Services were also called to the scene. He said the other three children appeared to be healthy but said they were very dirty and appeared to have not been bathed in many days.

"It's a complete team effort but we're far from done," Mellinger said.
Sheriff: Parents charged after child found inside locked car trunk

eta:a personal care assistant?
Nantail Roberts

jackson-county-boy-found-in-trunk-08242021.jpg

Boy found in trunk of car, life-flighted to hospital | WOWK 13 News

Oh Dear Lord! Poor little guy. I feel suffocated thinking this baby doll was all alone in a trunk.

Don't believe O/T it BAM BAM brought back to me three little guys in Camden. Different situation in I guess 2005 or 2006? These beautiful boys hopped into one of their Abuela's broken down cars and were there for DAYS. Just awful.

Parents immediately searching. Camden searching. End game families sued and got a few, but it never will bring those boys back. Never. Police had passed by the car several times and didn't check trunk. Resulted in better training for brave Camden police.

May this five year old little guy astound us! He's got Camden angels with him. OK sort of openly weeping. Come on lil guy!

*Omg, this is disgustingly tragic.

Mellinger said the parents said they did not know the child was missing and had last seen the child the night before when they went to bed. He also said it's unknown how the boy got into the trunk or how long he was there.

"You can't convince me that, in situations like this, that these kids are nothing more than a stimulus check to these types of parents who just live everyday with not knowing what their kids are doing or where they are at," Mellinger said.

The sheriff also said the home was in unlivable conditions and there were three other children inside who also lived at the home between the ages of 1 and 5. "Some of the worst living conditions I've seen in the 20 plus years I've been here at the sheriff's office. Extreme and chronic neglectful living conditions," Mellinger noted.

"We all know what the temperature are today. Brutal at best," the sheriff noted.

Child Protective Services were also called to the scene. He said the other three children appeared to be healthy but said they were very dirty and appeared to have not been bathed in many days.

"It's a complete team effort but we're far from done," Mellinger said.
Sheriff: Parents charged after child found inside locked car trunk

eta:a personal care assistant?
Nantail Roberts
Could this be the new society so many are striving for. Everyone has rights even if it means that you lose yours or your life. I always predicted that it would be worse for women. I never thought it would be the children. It makes sense how a few cold careless people could multiply. Seems as though society lives by the criminal's standards now,.

5-year-old found in closed vehicle trunk, flown to the hospital; parents arraigned

On Tuesday, temperatures were soaring into the 90s and at this point, it’s still unclear how long the boy was inside the trunk or how he got there in the first place.

According to the criminal complaint, investigators also discovered unsanitary conditions inside the mobile home, including “an overpowering smell of feces and urine.” They said the other kids, including a 3-year-old girl, a 2-year-old boy and a 9-month-old infant, “appeared to be foul and unbathed.”

“It was honest to goodness some of the filthiest and worst, nasty, dirty conditions I’ve seen in the 20 plus years I’ve been here. The chronic neglect, filth and nastiness of the home merited an arrest even without this incident.”

Investigators also described “a multitude of trash, rotten food, flies, maggots, dirty diapers, as well as clutter to the point that it restricted any movement within the home.”

The young boy is currently listed as critical at CAMC’s Womens and Children’s hospital in Charleston.

Hoping for a miracle for this poor child -- if he survives, let him be in good health and mind. IMO, he deserves a break and he deserves someone who will raise him in love. IMO, he's had to fight in his own way for every break, however few, he ever got. No more, please.

In the trunk of a car -- was he hiding in fear of more cruelty? Or was he put there for more cruelty or death?
Just dammit.

Hoping for a miracle for this poor child -- if he survives, let him be in good health and mind. IMO, he deserves a break and he deserves someone who will raise him in love. IMO, he's had to fight in his own way for every break, however few, he ever got. No more, please.

In the trunk of a car -- was he hiding in fear of more cruelty? Or was he put there for more cruelty or death?
Just dammit.

Unfortunately, I have more experience with people trapped in car trunks than most people. It’s not uncommon for a kid - especially the 4-7 age range - to enter a car on his own. It’s a cozy spot when frightened and a fun place to explore/play. JMO.

He is very, very lucky to be alive.

Parents selling the car and don’t know their boy is in it? Were they unconcerned all morning where their son was or did they even notice he was missing at all?
At least the others are removed and have a chance - it’s just way too hot for that little one to be in the trunk and not have any brain damage IMO

Parents selling the car and don’t know their boy is in it? Were they unconcerned all morning where their son was or did they even notice he was missing at all?
At least the others are removed and have a chance - it’s just way too hot for that little one to be in the trunk and not have any brain damage IMO
Sheriff: 5-year-old still hospitalized on a ventilator after being found in trunk of car
BBM
Mellinger said the boy was flown to the hospital by HealthNet after being discovered unconscious inside a trunk of a car just before 1:30 p.m. on Bobo Street in the Cottageville area.
The car was parked at the home of the parents but belonged to a neighbor. Mellinger said the neighbor went to show the vehicle to someone who was interested in buying it and popped the trunk open and found the child inside.

Mellinger said the parents said they did not know the child was missing..

Fisher said Nantail Roberts said she had not seen the boy since he had gone to bed between 12:30 a.m. and 1:30 a.m. She told investigators that she woke up about 12:30 p.m. or 1 p.m.

5-year-old found in closed vehicle trunk fighting for his life, still on a ventilator
Mellinger said he may be taken off the ventilator later Wednesday.

“..you may not know for several years down the road what kind of long standing repercussions this may have on a young boy like that,” Mellinger said

Investigators think Parker had been shut in the trunk for 45 minutes to two hours. He was cold to the touch when first responders found him. The sheriff said temperatures in the trunk were around 130 degrees.

”Routinely, these kids would get out of bed between nine and 10 a.m. everyday and fend for themselves for hours upon hours while the parents would sleep during the course of the midday activities,” Mellinger said.

Last edited:
Sheriff: 5-year-old still hospitalized on a ventilator after being found in trunk of car
BBM
Mellinger said the boy was flown to the hospital by HealthNet after being discovered unconscious inside a trunk of a car just before 1:30 p.m. on Bobo Street in the Cottageville area.
The car was parked at the home of the parents but belonged to a neighbor. Mellinger said the neighbor went to show the vehicle to someone who was interested in buying it and popped the trunk open and found the child inside.

Mellinger said the parents said they did not know the child was missing..

Fisher said Nantail Roberts said she had not seen the boy since he had gone to bed between 12:30 a.m. and 1:30 a.m. She told investigators that she woke up about 12:30 p.m. or 1 p.m.

5-year-old found in closed vehicle trunk fighting for his life, still on a ventilator
Mellinger said he may be taken off the ventilator later Wednesday.

“It’s still not a tragedy because ultimately, you may not know for several years down the road what kind of long standing repercussions this may have on a young boy like that,” Mellinger said

Investigators think Parker had been shut in the trunk for 45 minutes to two hours. He was cold to the touch when first responders found him. The sheriff said temperatures in the trunk were around 130 degrees.

”Routinely, these kids would get out of bed between nine and 10 a.m. everyday and fend for themselves for hours upon hours while the parents would sleep during the course of the midday activities,” Mellinger said.
I don’t even know what to say … the level of neglect is egregious
Imo
Thank your for these details @everybodhi

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member