Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #78 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's possible the spy pen was out of battery/no longer in use. Or that Suzanne had what she needed and didn't want to have it automatically recording every thing said and done in her bedroom (which is what a normal person would do, IMO). She probably used it for specific recordings, perhaps involving things said by Barry during their fights (that's what has been said).

As to the witness that you seem to want to require to come to court, I think it is a tremendous stress on all of those individuals and not at all traditional to interrupt witnesses' lives at this stage in the proceedings. The Judge has their statements as part of the 4Tb of evidence.

This was a preliminary for the defense to challenge the basic outline of the prosecution's case. This particular Judge is very keen to protect not only the daughters but also the witnesses, and that is not an uncommon stance for a judge in a murder case.

I think chlorine has become a non-issue.

We did not hear from witnesses who may know about the DV (including Suzanne's sister and especially SO, but perhaps others). DV is highly emotionally charged and I think it's good to protect those witnesses - especially if the Judge thinks that Barry's own admission (clipping her on the nose; "bumping" her with his body but not using his hands/arms) is not enough. Under CO law, that's DV. It can be combined (or not) with any of the other charges. It's possible the Judge will see it your way. I think there's evidence on the pen of emotional abuse, and I think Barry himself provided admissions of financial control (was he really joking? Suzanne's stepbrother painted an interesting picture...don't know if the Judge saw it).

But the Judge has seen all that we haven't. He's seen the text from Suzanne to her sister. He's the one who has to decide if it's enough.

Sheets are also irrelevant, IMO. What is relevant is that Barry admitted to coming home at a certain time, just before Suzanne's last "proof of life," and he admitted to having a weapon and shooting in the backyard. If I were a neighbor who heard that and had given a sworn affadavit, I would want my name redacted at this point in time.

The Judge can view the entire surveillance tapes from the HEI or anywhere else, will know if any trash has been recovered and what that is, etc.

If the Judge decides it's not Murder One, then that's his decision. But bleach, sheets, missing prescriptions are probably irrelevant. I do wish they had tested for DNA on the plate and silverware in the dishwasher and on that cup of coffee (heck, maybe they should have looked at whether the microbial load inside the coffee could give them a time when it was last hot...)

Maybe they did do those things - I feel that the Judge felt he had plenty on which to make his decision, so he didn't want any more.
Excellent and comprehensive post!!!!

Okay, I don't know how cool this is or isn't, but:

I am no photo editor, but I tried a thing on my ipad. I screenshotted the page with the redactions and then opened up the screenshot as a photo in my ipad's photo edit mode.

I played around with all those warm/cool sliders. I was not able to see the text underneath, but I was able to distinguish some areas darker than others as opposed to the solid black redacted line. Maybe someone with a better photo editor could get somewhere with this?

Although if so, I don't know if it would be permitted to be posted. If anyone figures it out please PM me!

RBBM

I doubt if we'd be able to post it on the main thread.

JMVHO.

I'm not sure it's rubbish. Too bad the detective didn't follow up on it or we might know for sure.

Unknown DNA matches found in Suzanne Morphew's vehicle, defense says; judge's ruling next

Cahill testified that he didn’t follow up on those matches. In the Chicago case, a detective in that city told Cahill that he would follow up on the match, Cahill testified, and then said he did not check whether the detective did so.

Under cross-examination from the prosecution, Cahill testified that a DNA match from CODIS should be treated as an investigative lead that law enforcement should follow up on.

Does it bother me that a complete investigation into all three alleged sex offenders whose DNA is on Suzanne's glove box was not conducted? You bet it does!

Do I think any of the alleged sex offenders may have played a part in her disappearance? In no way, shape or form whatsoever, do I feel anyone other than Barry Morphew is responsible for Suzanne's disappearance and ultimate death.

However, the DNA found on her vehicle's glove box will be used to confuse the jury in order to try to create reasonable doubt.

Can the Prosecutors prove Barry killed and secreted the body of his beloved wife? Of course, they fully believe they can.

A jury who possesses good common sense and can find understanding in GPS tracking, cellular phone tracking, DNA, etc will have no problem connecting the pieces together. Therein, lies my greatest fear.

Members of the jury are not always the sharpest, the most scholarly nor the most brilliant. We, as a society, may have the need to reevaluate out jurisprudence system by selecting formal juries who are trained in the art of deception and manipulation, that understand criminal profiling, that can clearly interpret crime scene technology and so forth.

Based on the four days of the prelim, and with the limited knowledge of tweets that were published, i'm struggling with "proof and evidence". I think he lies, I think they can prove that he lies. That does not equal murder.
I think they will get Shosho to open up. That just puts him on par with SM to most people.
I think the daughters will likely show love and support for Dad, it's common in scenarios like this.
I am disappointed but hopeful. I was less optimistic after the prelim and even more so after seeing the DA's press conference.

I'm just not getting warm fuzzies and it infuriates me. I hope i'm wrong. IMO it will go to trial but if they have is anything like what they just presented, he will not be convicted.
I think the D is trying to show that LE has simply had it out for BM since the beginning and built a case around that. They missed some big leads from an investigative perspective.

Poncha Springs Market - they never showed up for video nor did they interview them until after it was put to MSM.
Did not process the sleeping bag?
Did not process the room at the HIE
Did not process the 1/2 full coffee cup on the counter
Never followed up on DNA from "possible" matches on car.
Didn't have evidence bags for the article of clothing
Did not process the bikini she is last seen wearing in the proof of life photo.
Others?
How could PM sign the affidavit then say"much of the information is not relevant to trial but needed more time for his ruling.

I'm sure i've missed some. I am not bashing LE, I am merely pointing out the holes the D has created and showing how this ship could sink.

Does it bother me that a complete investigation into all three alleged sex offenders whose DNA is on Suzanne's glove box was not conducted? You bet it does!

Do I think any of the alleged sex offenders may have played a part in her disappearance? In no way, shape or form whatsoever, do I feel anyone other than Barry Morphew is responsible for Suzanne's disappearance and ultimate death.

However, the DNA found on her vehicle's glove box will be used to confuse the jury in order to try to create reasonable doubt.

Can the Prosecutors prove Barry killed and secreted the body of his beloved wife? Of course, they fully believe they can.

A jury who possesses good common sense and can find understanding in GPS tracking, cellular phone tracking, DNA, etc will have no problem connecting the pieces together. Therein, lies my greatest fear.

Members of the jury are not always the sharpest, the most scholarly nor the most brilliant. We, as a society, may have the need to reevaluate out jurisprudence system by selecting formal juries who are trained in the art of deception and manipulation, that understand criminal profiling, that can clearly interpret crime scene technology and so forth.

RBBM

I'll never forget a conversation I had about this topic with DH. One of the guys he worked with made the same type of comment.

JMVHO.

I am starting to think that BM's killing animals' escalation heralded him killing a human. I was laughing at the attempts to connect him to other murders in Indiana, but I wonder if he was growing murderous.

It is a hard thing to discuss, because I am not against hunting; my grandfather was a hunter, I am not a vegetarian, and here many people provide for their families this way. So in general, I don't mind. But cutting off deers antlers (that has to be done by deer farmers and not just anyone living on this earth), plus this taxidermy, plus hunting animals from his house, to me signals escalation. Sooner or later, he would have killed a human. And here was his beautiful wife, who had fallen out of love with him, and loved someone else. He probably wanted to kill her lover, but as a coward, he was afraid of killing a person from another community and a different state. His own wife, easily, and to lawyer up. His daughters, who needed a mother, he didn't think much of.

MG, who worked with BM and moved out of state for fear of him, probably knew what she was doing.

I've said this from day one and yeah, some laughed I'm sure. I don't put anything past him. He LOVES the sport of the hunt, the kill, the skinning, all of it.
I look at it this way. If you have it in your psyche to intentionally kill another human being (no less your wife), no one knows how deep that depravity runs or what they're capable of - past, present and future.
Then he fired up the bbq...

BBM
MOO IMO

I had posted the following thoughts before and received no feedback so I’m attempting again. Would appreciate some insight. TIA.

1) If during their investigation, LE found BM was linked to crimes in other States, would that information be disclosed in the currently sealed AA during this case?
OR
2) Would the discovery be treated seperately with its own set of charges?

This exactly.

If you look at the bottom of page 2 of the linked court order to seal the AA, there is a single black line of redaction. I’m convinced that short black line, more than any other, is the tell-tale mark that’s protecting the daughters from some truly heinous information. (And IMO it may keep the AA sealed until trial, at which point everything will have to come to light.)

I’ve been playing a game with myself because I don’t want to go into that much conjecture here on WS: But read that redacted sentence, filling in the redaction in your own words using natural language that grammatically follows.

“These young women are in an unimaginable situation and should be given time to process what has occurred and the time to review, or decide not to review, the evidence alleged against their father <<…redacted…>>.”

For me, and IMO, the first redacted word is “by”. And it’s not “by the District Attorney’s office of the State of Colorado”. I think the court is protecting the girls from the very specific, very inflammatory, testimony of a very specific person. To me, personal information is the most logical reason for redacting this part of the sentence’s structure.

But who is it? And what is it they are alleging?

MOO.

https://www.courts.state.co.us/userfiles/file/Court_Probation/11th_Judicial_District/Chaffee/cases of interest/21CR78/21CR78 Order Limit Public Redacted.pdf

But give or take, the motion to seal is protecting not the girls, who likely are aware of the allegations. The motion serves to protect Barry, first and foremost. It is not sealed to protect Suzanne. There maybe some information about either Barry, or Barry and Suzanne, but whatever it is, if known, it is going to paint Barry bad. MOO.

IDK I can't make it fit with the GPS and Phone timeline
I am praying they found her. I read the very short article and the FBI is "recovering evidence", They can't release info that will "compromise the investigation" and apparently there is no threat to the public :) I hate to sound crazy but I just know it's Suzanne or about her.

You still can’t separate Barry from this, regardless of that DNA.

Some predator didn’t kidnap Suzanne, enter her car, leave her purse, stage a bicycle, dump a helmet, force Barry to lie about when he woke up, put Barry outside when he should have been sleeping, put Barry in the vicinity of the bike, shut down Suzanne’s phone at the precise moment Barry needed it to, force Barry to chase elk towards the helmet location, force him to dump 5 bags of trash, force him to lie about working, force him to lie about where he was when he got that call, force him to lie about the state of their marriage, and Suzanne wanting a divorce.

He didn’t cause Suzanne’s footprint to cease to exist on that afternoon, put Barry’s phone on airplane mode, disappear her journal, scratch Barry’s arms.

Etc, etc, etc.

I'm not saying he didn't do it, it just worries me that everything is circumstantial. I always think about the juries in the OJ Simpson trial and the Casey Anthony trial. Most of the general public doesn't have minds that work like ours (WS members), I wish they did but they don't.

Eh I am weird and troubling so no problem lol.

I am so curious about how their marriage worked-maybe she did put everything on credit cards. She went on a lot of solo trips, and she helped Barry with the business billing. She had great clothes, evidenced by socmedia photos. I do wonder if something changed when they moved to Colorado. I think she had a lot of support and an active social life in Indiana, and much may have changed when she found herself secluded at Puma Path. She had to see new doctors, make new friends, new church, no family close by (even Barry’s family, which was her own for so long). Children had their own lives, Barry always working, another round of cancer. And a husband that thought antidepressants, prescribed pain meds and IPAs were hard drug and alcohol abuse.

I think you nailed it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member