GUILTY IL - Actor Jussie Smollett allegedly attacked in hate crime, Jan 2019 #6 *GUILTY*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jussie Smollett Speaks Out About Alleged 2019 Attack in Rare Interview: 'They Won't Let This Go'

"Smollett said that what has happened to him over the past nearly two years has "humbled me." He claimed that his legal team filed a motion against his indictment that will be reviewed on Thursday in court. "I believe I have to give it up to God," the actor said, though he admitted he doesn't think the legal action will fall in his favor.

"They won't let this go," he said. "It doesn't matter — there is an example being made. And the sad part is that there's an example being made of someone who did not do what they are being accused of."

He later addressed claims that he orchestrated the alleged hate crime as a hoax for attention: "From the very, very beginning, it was set up to seem like I was lying about something or everything."

Toward the end of the interview, Smollett said "there would be no reason for me to do this" and "this is bulls---," adding that the "last thing" he wants to do is "be portrayed as a victim.""

Jussie Smollett Speaks Out About Alleged 2019 Attack in Rare Interview: 'They Won't Let This Go'

"Smollett said that what has happened to him over the past nearly two years has "humbled me." He claimed that his legal team filed a motion against his indictment that will be reviewed on Thursday in court. "I believe I have to give it up to God," the actor said, though he admitted he doesn't think the legal action will fall in his favor.

"They won't let this go," he said. "It doesn't matter — there is an example being made. And the sad part is that there's an example being made of someone who did not do what they are being accused of."

He later addressed claims that he orchestrated the alleged hate crime as a hoax for attention: "From the very, very beginning, it was set up to seem like I was lying about something or everything."

Toward the end of the interview, Smollett said "there would be no reason for me to do this" and "this is bulls---," adding that the "last thing" he wants to do is "be portrayed as a victim.""

Pardon me while I roll my eyes.

images

How sloppy, not only were confidential conversations recorded, they were shared in discovery.

Conversation between key witness and attorney can’t be used as evidence in Smollett case, judge says

"The conversation between Olabinjo Osundairo and his lawyer Gloria Schmidt Rodriguez was apparently accidentally recorded in an interview room at a Chicago police station after Osundairo and his brother, Abindola Osundairo, were taken in for questioning.

Smollett’s lawyers had argued for the recording’s inclusion as evidence after they inadvertently received it as part of the discovery process and claimed it would provide evidence of a conspiracy against Smollett, who is accused of staging a hate crime against himself.

Linn said he had listened to the recording and heard nothing on it that would be considered a “bombshell” for the defense. The judge also said Schmidt Rodriguez’s conversation with Olabinjo Osundairo was covered by attorney-client privilege.

“Everybody’s got it, nobody should have it, never should have existed, nobody should have it at all,” Linn said."

"On Thursday, Linn said he did not believe he had the jurisdiction to dismiss the case.

“I don’t have the authority to revisit the ruling in the first place, and if I did, I still would find Judge [Michael] Toomin was correct in his analysis appointing the special prosecutor,” Linn said.

Linn recounted how the case had ended up before him, saying “there was a tremendous outcry” about the decision to drop the charges and that it demanded review.

“This very building seemed to shake with buzz that I haven’t seen in many years ... this really rocked things around here,” he said.

FWIW, Celebrity Update for Jussie Smollet
His "Filmography" listing imdb.com still shows no recent work in tv/movie for him, nothing newer than "Empire (TV series) 2015-2019."*

BTW, have all five of his actor siblings** taken notes on Jussie's experience, debunking the old showbiz saw "There's no such thing as bad publicity."***

Esp'ly sister Jurnee Smollett, a 2021 Emmy lead actress nominee in Lovecraft Country
HBO series, not yet renewed for 2nd season.**** If lesson was learned, bigger things ahead for her? Maybe other fam members too?

*** https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/there-is-no-such-thing-as-bad-publicity.html
**** Emmys 2021: Black Talent Rack Up Landmark Nominations – VIBE.com

Last edited:
Meanwhile, Back in the Courtroom
@meanmaryjean Thanks for your post & MSM link.
Story was updated 4:41 pm CDT after today's hearing, closed to the public, so only judge, parties, & attys.
Subject was a motion about atty's alleged conflict of interest --- "how much contact did the attorney Nenye Uche have with the Osundairo brothers before he signed on to represent Smollett." Judge did not issue ruling.

IIRC, charges can be dropped in a way that stops everything, or in way that means the charges can be re-filed later. Possibly called 'dismissed with prejudice' and 'dismissed without prejudice.'

Yippee, my Google-Fu is strong today (and my memory is working, too):

A case can be dismissed with prejudice or without prejudice. When a case is dismissed with prejudice, it means the plaintiff cannot file the same case against the same defendant again. When a case is dismissed without prejudice, the plaintiff is allowed to start over and file the lawsuit again.

Motion to dismiss

I suppose this was dismissed without prejudice, or there are different charges.

IDK about the Kim Foxx aspect.

jmho ymmv lrr

Jussie Smollett’s lawyers maintain former ‘Empire’ star’s innocence

Double down!!! Everyone goes out to Subway for a tuna Sammie when it is 2 am, and 20 below zero in Chicago!

and during that outing have a mysteriously 'violent' but not injurious run-in with people they already know, who are carrying knotted drapery cord.

Yup, sure.

81478774.jpg

image from memegenerator.net

That could happen.

You youngsters may have to Google to see more of that sketch, worth your time IMHO.

jmho ymmv lrr

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members