Found Deceased PA - Matthew Mindler, 19, MU student, did not return to his room, Millersville, 24 Aug 2021

Freshman are allowed to have their car on campus at Millersville. They just have to apply for a parking pass. My son is living in a dorm ( he's not in the same one Matthew lives in) . I'm not 100% sure if it was required though.
Yes each college has there own rules - do we even know if he had a car?
Welcome to Websleuths !

I can imagine being a young actor and getting a lot of attention, then stopping all of a sudden would be a huge adjustment. Looks like he stopped in 2016. In his Millersville ID picture he don’t look very happy. Hopefully this is an attention stunt and everything works out fine.

I can imagine being a young actor and getting a lot of attention, then stopping all of a sudden would be a huge adjustment. Looks like he stopped in 2016. In his Millersville ID picture he don’t look very happy. Hopefully this is an attention stunt and everything works out fine.

His mom said he hadn't acted in years. Which I take as a "adjusting back into real world society" move. My son's college ID photo is horrid, not sure I'd put much weight.

Waiting on cameras/video of him leaving parking lot, in another area, walking in a neighborhood, at a bus stop, at a local gas station? Did he have a car on campus? Did he have a phone, Apple watch? And the fact he was wearing that hoodie with his backpack on, when people said it was hot and humid, doesn't seem right. He looks sad to me in the head shot, I have no idea if he was? Prayers for the family, and that he will come home safely.

Locals, need your voices. Lancaster area most people get sweet visions of rural bliss and amish horse and buggies and rolling hills and tranquil albeit youthful vibes. <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip - quoted post was removed>
First few days of college are rough. Maybe his roommate/s didn’t think much of it-plenty of kids don’t make it back to their own dorm a night or two. If he wasn’t close with anyone yet, I can’t imagine anyone reporting it to an RA.

Nick Pratico was a kid who got dropped off at college in NJ to sign up for classes and get his student ID. ID was found on the college lawn. It took authorities a month to find him, right across the street from campus, where he had hanged himself in a cornfield.

I hope this kid just went off the grid.

The university has since released a statement on Instagram in an effort to find Mindler, saying:

“PLEASE SHARE. Police are asking for help in finding 20-year-old Matthew Mindler, a first-year student from Hellertown, PA, who has been missing since Tuesday evening August 24, 2021. Matt was reported missing to University Police late last evening after he did not return to his room or return phone calls from his family. … University Police are in contact with Matt’s mother and are working with campus staff for assistance in locating Matt. University Police filed a missing adult report with the National Crime Information Center this afternoon, less than 24 hours after the initial report and have also notified local police departments.”

“If anyone has any information on Matthew Mindler’s whereabouts, they are asked to contact Millersville University Police at 717-871-4357or chief Pete Anders at [email protected] 717-871-5972. Information can also be confidentially reported through the Millersville LiveSafe Safety App.”
Former Child Star Matthew Mindler Reported Missing From College | Talesbuzz

Is there any indication this young guy was on drugs?

He was a Broadway kid. Many of those kids form life long relationships. He was in Billy Elliott so he must have immense talent. Maybe he decided college wasn't for him and is in NYC with friends.

Yes, weather film, Broadway, television or even print work continued over years then stopped later in life can be an adjustment many grow into "normal" adults with different life paths.

I've known kids who worked in many different shows on Broadway and kids who grew up on daytime TV. Some are stay at home parents. They work in finance. One became an Attorney. On and on. Film and Hollywood is another story. Record contracts etc. You become a small fish in a big sea. However if you don't make it you come home and start another path.

Matthew Mindler I pray you are safe somewhere and figuring it out. Call your relatives.

No
Is there any indication this young guy was on drugs?

He was a Broadway kid. Many of those kids form life long relationships. He was in Billy Elliott so he must have immense talent. Maybe he decided college wasn't for him and is in NYC with friends.

Yes, weather film, Broadway, television or even print work continued over years then stopped later in life can be an adjustment many grow into "normal" adults with different life paths.

I've known kids who worked in many different shows on Broadway and kids who grew up on daytime TV. Some are stay at home parents. They work in finance. One became an Attorney. On and on. Film and Hollywood is another story. Record contracts etc. You become a small fish in a big sea. However if you don't make it you come home and start another path.

Matthew Mindler I pray you are safe somewhere and figuring it out. Call your relatives.[/QUOTE
No there’s no indication he was on drugs. Sadly these days it’s where my thoughts go. I pray he is safe figuring it out also. I also pray he gets a hold of his family, I’m sure they are going crazy with worry.

Best case scenario - Matthew realized that college was not for him and is now embarrassed to tell his parents that he quit, IMO.
That's more to my thinking as well. Maybe he & roomie didn't hit it off well; he went to a couple of classes -- disliked the instructors or the courses; and just didn't want to be there, so he took a long walk... got lost? Picked up by a friend? And he's not ready to tell his folks he doesn't wanna be there.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>
Way-y-y-y back when I was in college, I don't believe anyone would have reported anyone missing after only one night -- assuming he stayed with a friend; hooked up with someone; passed out at a frat house, etc., etc.
An RA (Resident Advisor -- do they still have those?) may indeed have reported it, especially after a second night.

Last edited:
Way-y-y-y back when I was in college, I don't believe anyone would have reported anyone missing after only one night -- assuming he stayed with a friend; hooked up with someone; passed out at a frat house, etc., etc.
An RA (Resident Advisor -- do they still have those?) may indeed have reported it, especially after a second night.
I believe the same is true today. Unless they were already friends, they would know virtually nothing about each other's routines and/or relationships. One night away is not cause for worry if you don't know each other.

That said, if two or three days passed and he hadn't returned to his room to pick up books for class or change clothes, that would be a different story.

That's more to my thinking as well. Maybe he & roomie didn't hit it off well; he went to a couple of classes -- disliked the instructors or the courses; and just didn't want to be there, so he took a long walk... got lost? Picked up by a friend? And he's not ready to tell his folks he doesn't wanna be there.

I really hope this is the case.

First few weeks of college is a huge adjustment. Most colleges will have a ton of activities that first week and mandatory meetings peppered in, all designed to get the student acclimated and engaged. It can be overwhelming. Wasn't like that when I went to college.

My kid went to Penn and I remember at the parents' orientation, the dean gave out a phone number and said "if your kid doesn't return your call after a bit, call us and we will find him/her and he/she will not ignore your calls again." This was also during a time when there were 7 student suicides in a 3-year period. There's a lot of pressure on kids these days.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back