Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #99

Status
Not open for further replies.
A commune is a fantastic idea!

Every day we deal with patients who tell us they won’t get a COVID vaccine, stating one or more reasons that they say they read on social media.

Then these same patients call us when they get sick, saying they tested positive for COVID and need an appointment because they are sick.

Nearly always they come to the clinic not wearing a mask. We have to provide them with one, which they wear in the clinic but throw into the trash on their way out the door. So they are sick with COVID, yet not wearing a mask.

Our job has become beyond frustrating.
Can't imagine how difficult it must be Ice. :eek:
Our OB/GYN doctor recommends all her pregnant patients get vaccinated. She tells them that the vaccine clinical trials included pregnant women. I believe there is information on the CDC website.
yes thank you was going to ask what is CDC but Lilibet has clued me up :)

My DIL is 20 weeks pregnant and works in a public arena.
She has been mandated to get vaxed within the month or she doesn't have a job.

This is a woman whom won't take a paracetamol for headache because she is pregnant.
(not an anti-vaxxer by any means she is otherwise vaccinated for most things)
But being pregnant she is out of her mind with anxiety worrying about her baby and the yet to be determined long term effects of covid 19 vax's on unborn children.
Does anyone know where I can find informed positive literature for her to read.
Any links or point me in the right directions would be greatly appreciated.:)

(She is mid 20s, already had 1 child, no health issues.)
We are in Australia. Around the world info is welcome.

The oz gov website doesn't have a lot.

TIA

Personal experience ...... my DD had her first child 10 days ago. She is a nurse.

She did a ton of research, and was in to have her Pfizer shot as soon as ATAGI gave the go-ahead for pregnant women. She tried to have it earlier, but her hospital wouldn't give it to her without ATAGI approval.

Her outlook was that it was her only chance to give their baby some antibodies, as it is going to be a long time before there is a covid vaccination for little ones.

Baby is absolutely fine and progressing well, my DD is fine too ... and everyone is now protected. Which is very reassuring.
(I was glad that my DD had the vaccines after the first 3 months of pregnancy though, as that is sometimes the dicey time.)

Pregnant women are considered priority vaccination candidates in Australia and NZ, as per this link .....

RANZCOG - COVID-19 Vaccination Information

Last edited:
Congratulations! :) I hope this is reassuring from the Centers for Disease Control and other sources. You can dig deeper by following links within links. This should get you started.

“CDC encourages all pregnant people or people who are thinking about becoming pregnant and those breastfeeding to get vaccinated to protect themselves from COVID-19,” said CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky. “The vaccines are safe and effective, and it has never been more urgent to increase vaccinations as we face the highly transmissible Delta variant and see severe outcomes from COVID-19 among unvaccinated pregnant people.”

Previously, data from three safety monitoring systems did not find any safety concerns for pregnant people who were vaccinated late in pregnancy or for their babies. Combined, these data and the known severe risks of COVID-19 during pregnancy demonstrate that the benefits of receiving a COVID-19 vaccine for pregnant people outweigh any known or potential risks.
More at link:
Vaccination Considerations for People Pregnant or Breastfeeding

More detail about studies:
Although the overall risk of severe illness is low, pregnant and recently pregnant people are at an increased risk for severe illness from COVID-19 when compared with non-pregnant people. Severe illness includes illness that requires hospitalization, intensive care, need for a ventilator or special equipment to breathe, or illness that results in death. Additionally, pregnant people with COVID-19 are at increased risk of preterm birth and might be at increased risk of other adverse pregnancy outcomes, compared with pregnant women without COVID-19.

Evidence about the safety and effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccination during pregnancy, although limited, has been growing. These data suggest that the benefits of receiving a COVID-19 vaccine outweigh any known or potential risks of vaccination during pregnancy.
  • No adverse pregnancy-related outcomes occurred in previous clinical trials that used the same vaccine platform as the J&J/Janssen COVID-19 vaccine: Vaccines that use the same viral vector have been given to pregnant people in all trimesters of pregnancy, including in a large-scale Ebola vaccination trial. No adverse pregnancy-related outcomes, including adverse outcomes affecting the baby, were associated with vaccination in these trials. Learn more about how viral vector vaccines work.
  • COVID-19 vaccines do not cause infection, including in pregnant people or their babies: None of the COVID-19 vaccines contain the live virus that causes COVID-19 so a COVID-19 vaccine cannot make anyone sick with COVID-19, including pregnant people or their babies.
Much more at link:
Vaccination Considerations for People Pregnant or Breastfeeding

BBM

John’s Hopkins info:
The COVID-19 Vaccine and Pregnancy: What You Need to Know

Getting Covid can cause a premature birth because doctors need to save the mother.
Doctor pleads with pregnant women to get COVID-19 vaccine

But, what about the healthcare providers who are expecting? Are they choosing to be vaccinated during pregnancy?

Gundersen obstetrician/gynecologist and mother-to-be, Megan Heinlein, MD, did her research and concluded the vaccine is safer than the effects of COVID-19 on her and her unborn baby.

"I trust the greater scientific community," Dr. Heinlein says. "The leading professional societies in the field of obstetrics and gynecology have come out with statements emphasizing access to the COVID-19 vaccine for pregnant and lactating women, and the importance of decisions about the vaccine being made by patients and their healthcare providers."
The COVID-19 vaccine: A pregnant doctor's perspective
Thank you Lilebet
I appreciate it more than you know.

Have passed on these links for her to read.

(The pregnant dr's perspective was a positive reassuring great read :))

Might help inform a few worried WS mums to be all over the place with this. xx

Personal experience ...... my DD had her first child 10 days ago. She is a nurse.

She did a ton of research, and was in to have her Pfizer shot as soon as ATAGI gave the go-ahead for pregnant women. She tried to have it earlier, but her hospital wouldn't give it to her without ATAGI approval.

Her outlook was that it was her only chance to give their baby some antibodies, as it is going to be a long time before there is a covid vaccination for little ones.

Baby is absolutely fine and progressing well, my DD is fine too ... and everyone is now protected. Which is very reassuring.
(I was glad that my DD had the vaccines after the first 3 months of pregnancy though, as that is sometimes the dicey time.)

Pregnant women are considered priority vaccination candidates in Australia and NZ, as per this link .....

thats wonderful SA!
CONGRATULATIONS NANNA!! XX

Hope you get to see your new bub? Not sure where you guys in SA are with lockdown.

Thank you for the extra info.
Much appreciated.

I think more positive things she can see with her own eyes the more she will relax about it being her only option and be comfortable with it.

Thank you Lilebet
I appreciate it more than you know.

Have passed on these links for her to read.

(The pregnant dr's perspective was a positive reassuring great read :))

Might help inform a few worried WS mums to be all over the place with this. xx

You’re more than welcome @k-mac. We all like to help ease a pregnant woman’s fear. She’s got enough on her mind and should be having fun planning the nursery! :)

thats wonderful SA!
CONGRATULATIONS NANNA!! XX

Hope you get to see your new bub? Not sure where you guys in SA are with lockdown.

Thank you for the extra info.
Much appreciated.

I think more positive things she can see with her own eyes the more she will relax about it being her only option and be comfortable with it.

Thanks. :) Baby is an absolute delight!

We are out of lockdown at the moment (but I am not holding my breath that we will stay that way for very long). I have been keeping myself in a pretty good 'safe' bubble, and been masking up and distancing for infrequent supermarket runs and such. So I have been able to be at the hospital (only son in law and myself allowed there) and then at DD's home to be with them and help out.

We are all fully vaccinated. DD, son in law, grandparents, and the rest of the family are well on their way to being fully vaccinated.

This is a woman whom won't take a paracetamol for headache because she is pregnant.
But being pregnant she is out of her mind with anxiety worrying about her baby and the yet to be determined long term effects of covid 19 vax's on unborn children.

TIA

Nurse dies of COVID-19 after giving birth without meeting baby; husband also hospitalized with virus
Pregnant Ascension nurse passes with unborn child due to COVID-19
https://www.kansascity.com/news/coronavirus/article253847333.html
A Florida woman gave birth while battling Covid-19. She died days later.

There are more of these stories, which are cautionary tales. My daughter-in-law gave us a grandson last June, before a vaccine was available. We were all terrified, but she and he are beautiful. I'll keep all of you in my thoughts.

Thanks. :) Baby is an absolute delight!

We are out of lockdown at the moment (but I am not holding my breath that we will stay that way for very long). I have been keeping myself in a pretty good 'safe' bubble, and been masking up and distancing for infrequent supermarket runs and such. So I have been able to be at the hospital (only son in law and myself allowed there) and then at DD's home to be with them and help out.

We are all fully vaccinated. DD, son in law, grandparents, and the rest of the family are well on their way to being fully vaccinated.

This is so wonderful to hear. I felt pangs for you as we (Canada) were unrolling our vaccination program and Australia hadn't received their shipments yet. We started seriously vaccinating our local population in February and are just finishing up the stragglers now. Yesterday was our last local mass clinic. I will miss the bright days in my week when we worked our butts off to get our people vaccinated. At the close of the day yesterday, the Hospital and Public Health CEOs came to thank us each in person and give us a gift .. unnecessary, but it was a kind gesture.

We have 87% of our local eligible population vaccinated now. Mobile, school, pharmacy, and pop-up clinics will continue, and who knows, with boosters in the forecast, we might be setting up the mass clinics again soon.

From this end of the project, it seems as though the time went by quickly. But back in February, it felt as though we were working at a snail's pace. The task was so huge.

TIA

This isn't exactly positive...but it is such a warning for pregnant women TO GET the vaccine. I too, am watching a dear young woman who refuses to get the vaccine, works in a large Publix grocery store, who just feels "fine" getting no vaccine. She, herself, lost her own twin sister to SIDS, and I really thought she would be "wiser" about this.

This article does explain why not getting it poses some greater risks to a pregnant woman....

'Breaks my heart': Florida mom battling COVID-19 in ICU has yet to meet new baby

ATAGI ????

instead,

TIA

I think it's especially important for her to be vaccinated. Pregancy takes a toll on a mother's body, and with covid lurking, that can make the mother more susceptible to severe illness.

We're hearing a lot about mothers who die soon after giving birth--some don't even get to hold their babies.

I would do your level best to convince her to protect her life.

New mom only got to hold newborn baby "a few short minutes" before dying from COVID-19, family says - CBS News

A Texas mom died of Covid-19 just days after giving birth to her second daughter - CNN

North Kansas City mother dies of COVID-19 after premature birth

A commune is a fantastic idea!

Every day we deal with patients who tell us they won’t get a COVID vaccine, stating one or more reasons that they say they read on social media.

Then these same patients call us when they get sick, saying they tested positive for COVID and need an appointment because they are sick.

Nearly always they come to the clinic not wearing a mask. We have to provide them with one, which they wear in the clinic but throw into the trash on their way out the door. So they are sick with COVID, yet not wearing a mask.

Our job has become beyond frustrating.

Your stories just break my heart...
How do you feel "these times" influence people wanting to go into nursing and health care in the future?

Congrats on your new grandbaby!!!

This is so wonderful to hear. I felt pangs for you as we (Canada) were unrolling our vaccination program and Australia hadn't received their shipments yet. We started seriously vaccinating our local population in February and are just finishing up the stragglers now. Yesterday was our last local mass clinic. I will miss the bright days in my week when we worked our butts off to get our people vaccinated. At the close of the day yesterday, the Hospital and Public Health CEOs came to thank us each in person and give us a gift .. unnecessary, but it was a kind gesture.

We have 87% of our local eligible population vaccinated now. Mobile, school, pharmacy, and pop-up clinics will continue, and who knows, with boosters in the forecast, we might be setting up the mass clinics again soon.

From this end of the project, it seems as though the time went by quickly. But back in February, it felt as though we were working at a snail's pace. The task was so huge.

Wow, Musical............. your whole experience just sounds so, so ...............CIVIL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member