Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 #80 *arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning all, it's been a good while since I posted here, but by no means have I not been devouring every word posted here during and after the second part of the (somewhat anticlimactic, IMO) preliminary hearing. That said I feel confident BM will go to trial, at least.

Suzanne has been front and center for me in the last week as well. I had the opportunity to spend time in Denver, CO for work and took a few days off for some recreation. During my travels around the area, I passed through many key points of interest in this case. Drove through/near Broomfield on my way to Boulder, saw signs to Salida on our way to Bighorn Canyon/Royal Gorge. I really wanted to detour but alas was really short on time. Such a beautiful, vast terrain...I kept thinking about all the similar places BM could have put Suzanne. Praying for a miracle that she will be found, but it will definitely take one. IMO she is likely somewhere no human could access.

On a lighter note, every landmark/sign I passed (including Garden of the Gods Rd which I remembered from little Gannon Stauch's case) I filled my boyfriend in on the details of the true crime connection. At one point he looked at me and said, "I'm not coming back from this trip alive, am I?"

I'm thinking of leaving corporate America and starting the Colorado Crime Tour Company...who's in?

As one now-incarcerated former resident of a stop on that tour might say, "Well, exactly."

I agree that finding her, if it ever happens, will likely be as a result of a plea deal, accident, or the earth giving her up in some miraculous, entirely astonishing way. Hopefully that miracle happens before or during BM's trial.

Regarding the tranquilizer ketamine's use in Colorado --
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/09/01/elijah-mcclain-grand-jury/

If a juror thinks ketamine was used on SM perhaps juror could have reasonable doubt about whether death was intended or whether she was only intended to be sedated. Possibly only relevant re difference between first degree and second degree. JMO.

I wonder what Barry said on his two calls to Cassidy in the afternoon on Mother’s Day. Did he ask Cassidy to come to Broomfield, or did Morgan?

If Barry realized there wasn’t much work to be done on the Broomfield wall (according to him), why didn’t he go home? He had a crew coming up that he would be paying for the work. Why did he lounge at the HIE and drive around dumping trash, instead of turning around and spending the rest of Mother’s Day with the love of his life? Why did it take JR’s phone call to make him come back?
Noted the 2 calls to CC as well.
Interesting

I wouldn't be so sure. I for one do not want to hear about any of my partner's past lovers. That's a HUGE turnoff. Especially if time is precious. They would have spent time talking about anything BUT bM. Yes, he might be encouraging her to leave him if she wasn't happy but as far as her telling him in great detail all the things that made her miserable about bM, I don't see. And I say that with first hand knowledge of a couple of affairs I've had. You're more interested in your own courtship instead of exploring the negative aspects of past relationships. Nothing ruins the mood more than complaining about your soon to be Ex.

Yet, many people do the opposite, especially if they are still in a marriage. Both affair partners in this case were still in their marriages. Neither had filed for divorce or managed a separation (although if they'd each gotten to the separate bedrooms phase, that counts, in terms of how I'd classify such an affair).

Sometimes the entire purpose of the affair is closer to "let's support each other as we divorce" and in that case, each party commiserates with the other for all the pain they're enduring in their marriage.

I still talk about my past relationship with my current partner, who completely understands that I have C-PTSD because of it, and go through phases where it all still comes back. While it's possible that your view is closer to the truth here, we just don't know. I find it hard to believe that Suzanne never spoke of Barry's meanness and if she didn't (ever) to JL, I don't think that looks good for the prosecution. The relationships that Suzanne and JL would be speaking of would not be past relationships.

And many adult bonds form without much attention to the "mood" that's needed for romantic-sexual attachment, many adult affairs are more focused on shared support and companionship. I have an aunt by marriage who began an emotional affair (that turned sexual) while my uncle was still alive (dying of cancer). I did not judge her. Ultimately, that affair turned into a 20 year long relationship (never married) and it was a complex relationship, it was forged as they both went through the deaths of a spouse due to cancer. She helped raise his son and he helped raise her daughter. They kept their finances separate (her idea) but she helped him out financially in many ways. It remained an "affair" from the point of view of most of my older relatives, up until the time this second partner (of more than 2 decades) died a couple of years ago. I don't think my aunt ever had a boyfriend/sexual relationship based purely on sexual attraction or romantic leanings, there was always something else going on.

At any rate, most of my friends who have successfully left abusive relationships did spend a lot of time talking about the abuse in the early days of all their next relationships - and many of those relationships transformed into very long term arrangements, indeed. It's okay to speak of the grief and the dilemmas of a disintegrating relationship and many people do. Suzanne may well not be one of them - in which case, your analysis is right on. Perhaps she and JL lived in a fantasy world where the consequences of what they were doing were kept strictly separate from talking about the people they were affecting (and possibly hurting) with their affair.

Perhaps both of them wanted to pretend that unhappy marriages had nothing to do with their longterm ("holding a torch") type of relationship. You could be right - but if not, then JL would have information about what Suzanne was thinking about Barry (she certainly seems to think that Barry was having affairs - but if she never mentioned any scary situations or DV to JL, that's a win for the defense).

If a juror thinks ketamine was used on SM perhaps juror could have reasonable doubt about whether death was intended or whether she was only intended to be sedated. Possibly only relevant re difference between first degree and second degree. JMO.
“BAM,” was mentioned in court.

BAM™ is a patented, unique and safe anesthesia combination of Butorphanol tartrate, Azaperone tartrate and Medetomidine hydrochloride that is used to immobilize a broad range of species.

https://www.zoopharm.com/categories/wildlife/

I wonder what Barry said on his two calls to Cassidy in the afternoon on Mother’s Day. Did he ask Cassidy to come to Broomfield, or did Morgan?

If Barry realized there wasn’t much work to be done on the Broomfield wall (according to him), why didn’t he go home? He had a crew coming up that he would be paying for the work. Why did he lounge at the HIE and drive around dumping trash, instead of turning around and spending the rest of Mother’s Day with the love of his life? Why did it take JR’s phone call to make him come back?
These are my thoughts as well. The love of your life is home alone on Mother’s Day and you are at a Holiday Inn Express doing what exactly, watching movies for five hours? Nah, not Barry Morphew. Isn’t he, by his own words, an outdoorsman? His own words will convict him too.

I think JL's testimony for the state is going to be limited and specific to proof of life and verification of his non involvement. I don't put much weight in what JL told LE about not believing Barry had anything to do with Suzanne's disappearance. Neither did alot of people close to Suzanne, at first. The defense, OTOH, will spend alot of time with JL...He is more useful to them than he is to the state. He helps to villify Suzanne; and reinforce Barry's victimhood.
^^bbm

....which begs the question, given that Colorado Rules of Evidence apply, why bother with JL just to confirm he received the last proof of life photo and/or communication from SM when phone records and phone experts can do that.

As a witness, character evidence is admissible and a morally bankrupt individual is of no value to the prosecution.

JL brings no material fact for the prosecution that BM murdered SM. JL brings no material fact to the defense to disprove that BM murdered SM.

Unless the prosecution calls JL, I don't think there's proper foundation for the defense to call JL as a witness. If they have foundation, would they really want to subpoena JL and treat him as a hostile witness just to dirty SM in front of a jury? I would think not. MOO

Good morning all, it's been a good while since I posted here, but by no means have I not been devouring every word posted here during and after the second part of the (somewhat anticlimactic, IMO) preliminary hearing. That said I feel confident BM will go to trial, at least.

Suzanne has been front and center for me in the last week as well. I had the opportunity to spend time in Denver, CO for work and took a few days off for some recreation. During my travels around the area, I passed through many key points of interest in this case. Drove through/near Broomfield on my way to Boulder, saw signs to Salida on our way to Bighorn Canyon/Royal Gorge. I really wanted to detour but alas was really short on time. Such a beautiful, vast terrain...I kept thinking about all the similar places BM could have put Suzanne. Praying for a miracle that she will be found, but it will definitely take one. IMO she is likely somewhere no human could access.

On a lighter note, every landmark/sign I passed (including Garden of the Gods Rd which I remembered from little Gannon Stauch's case) I filled my boyfriend in on the details of the true crime connection. At one point he looked at me and said, "I'm not coming back from this trip alive, am I?"

I'm thinking of leaving corporate America and starting the Colorado Crime Tour Company...who's in?
Ha, I was in Colorado a couple of times recently and you could almost do a crime tour in Boulder.

I think he goes to motive for BM to have murdered her and motive for busting down the door. Plus premeditation since I believe he suspected or knew about an affair for some time and I think SM would have shared BM's rants of suspicion/accusations with JL. Imo the dart tranquilizers go to premed also.
I think SM shared a lot with JL about BM. I doubt the defense wants to bring out too much of what he knows.
moo

That's the rub, here! The more emphasis on JL, the more grounds for BM to murder SM in the heat of passion (i.e., 2nd-degree murder).

On the other hand, BM told investigators from the beginning that his marriage was perfect -- they loved each other to death and he'd never harm his angelic wife.

Prior to informing BM about JL, investigators tried BM with questions of what do you think your wife was doing on multiple solo trips across the country, and BM stood firm. BM was adamant that their shared faith and SM's own faith would prevent her from having an affair. BM insists he had no prior knowledge of SM's affair with JL.

So, the million-dollar question -- which way will the state lean?

I have said before that attorneys can't really "stack" juries in favor of their side. The stereotypes used are demonstrably unreliable as predictors, and the system effectively thwarts this objective anyway. Both sides do get to excuse from service a limited number of jurors whose responses suggest they have adverse attitudes, but when these "peremptory challenges" are exhausted the attorneys must rely on the judge to excuse jurors who obviously cannot be fair and objective. In my experience (MOO) judges rarely do this: they always ask the juror - in a variety of ways - whether s/he can set aside personal issues and be fair to both sides. If the answer is yes, the juror stays.

But, from my study of psychology and law, there are some juror characteristics that may affect the outcome if the juror is allowed to serve.

First, it seems to matter whether a person believes that what you get in life is usually the result of (1) your own behavior (internal locus of control), or (2) forces outside your control (external locus of control). For example, in a sexual assault case involving "acquaintance rape" a juror whose worldview is internal control is more likely to blame the woman for putting herself in a position to be assaulted, and the "external control" juror is more likely to side with the woman.

A related element of a juror's worldview that may affect the outcome is whether or not the juror believes in a just world. Jurors who believe that generally, "People get what they deserve and deserve what they get" are more likely to derogate victims - that is, to believe that a women who has been raped probably did something to "bring it on herself". (Lerner, 1980, Nudelman, 2013).

Authoritarian belief systems may also affect the outcome in some cases. Authoritarian personalizes tend to have rigid, conventional beliefs. They identify with authority figures, and they are intolerant of weakness. They are punitive toward people who violate established norms and rules, unless the defendant is an authority figure. (Narby, Cutler, and Moran, 1993).

Some researchers argue that case-specific attitudes may have a moderate predictive effect, but I have not seen research results on this topic in a criminal law context. However, it would seem relatively easy to identify in jury selection a person who is cynical, biased, or prejudiced in some way.

Some researchers also believe that jurors who are similar to, or who can identify with, the defendant are less likely to convict. But again, there is a paucity of research on this topic and what research exists suggests it isn't that simple.

The most solid and consistent research outcome is that the strength of the evidence is the best predictor of jury decisions. (Devine, Buddenbaum, Houp, Studebaker, and Stolle, 2009). Also, that if juror personality factors influence the outcome, they have a marginal effect only in cases where the evidence is equivocal. (Kerr, Hymes, Anderson, and Weathers, 1995).

Soccer Mom duties and travels are taking most of my time these days, but I appreciate all the perceptive and knowledgeable comments and the continued interest in this case.

Last edited:
^^bbm

....which begs the question, given that Colorado Rules of Evidence apply, why bother with JL just to confirm he received the last proof of life photo and/or communication from SM when phone records and phone experts can do that.

As a witness, character evidence is admissible and a morally bankrupt individual is of no value to the prosecution.

JL brings no material fact for the prosecution that BM murdered SM. JL brings no material fact to the defense to disprove that BM murdered SM.

Unless the prosecution calls JL, I don't think there's proper foundation for the defense to call JL as a witness. If they have foundation, would they really want to subpoena JL and treat him as a hostile witness just to dirty SM in front of a jury? I would think not. MOO
The other motivation for the defense to call JL is to gin up Barry's victimhood in all of this. He already isn't a sympathetic figure....I do think the defense will try to take the edge off of that through JL.

I dunno. We are talking about BM -- the man famous for allegedly telling another guy to "control his wife." Given what we know about BM, what other reason would BM have to tranquilize his wife if not to scientifically disguise the time and manner of her death?

I also think by tranquilizing and probably smothering SM, BM was playing some kind of delusional, psychological game with himself that he didn't really kill SM. She just didn't wake up. MOO

I dunno. We are talking about BM -- the man famous for allegedly telling another guy to "control his wife." Given what we know about BM, what other reason would BM have to tranquilize his wife if not to scientifically disguise the time and manner of her death?

I also think by tranquilizing and probably smothering SM, BM was playing some kind of delusional, psychological game with himself that he didn't really kill SM. She just didn't wake up. MOO
Hunters gonna hunt.

Bringing your post over from the last thread @MassGuy
CO - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #79 *ARREST*

I too think that they wil go with the 'gone girl' defence. You mentioned no ID, what about obtaining a fake ID? I don't know how to go about getting one or whether its easy or not (perhaps CBD Tim could have help with this o_O).

Seriously though, fake ID and/or transport of some kind and living elsewhere within the US is a possible route I can see the defence possibly using. But realistically, would a defence really take this route, when they can use the SADDI defence?

If they go with the “gone girl” theory, I think they have a hard time convincing the jury. The main reason is SM was undergoing cancer treatment and would have needed her medical records to continue her treatment if she moved elsewhere. She has obviously not reached out for those records or we would know about it. Plus it doesn’t make any sense that she would leave on her own - one day before her doctor’s appointment.

If they go with the “gone girl” theory, I think they have a hard time convincing the jury. The main reason is SM was undergoing cancer treatment and would have needed her medical records to continue her treatment if she moved elsewhere. She has obviously not reached out for those records or we would know about it. Plus it doesn’t make any sense that she would leave on her own - one day before her doctor’s appointment.
It doesn’t make a lot of sense, but forming a narrative around dubious DNA evidence isn’t much better.

It doesn’t cancel out Barry, and all those lies need explaining.

The "Gone Girl" defense doesn't jive with the planted bike and helmet. If she were to leave on her own...she had a car sitting in the garage with keys, and a husband dutifully working on an urgent jobsite in Broomfield....but she chose to check out on a bicycle in Colorado? Well, alrighty, then.

My thoughts are that Suzanne must have spoken to JL about quite a bit of the situation with Barry, enough that he wanted to help her get out on her own. Paraphrasing here because I don’t have the link that mentions JL saying that.

Crime Talk with Scott Reisch@CrimeTalkPod

Suzanne thought Barry was “simple” and not “stimulating in conversation”. She thought Libler was more into her for her brain and enjoyed their conversations more. Libler said he wanted to “get her on her own” but still not away from her girls.

9:31 AM · Aug 10, 2021·

@NoSI - once again, we are deeply grateful for your participation in the search, attendance at the PH, your amazing notes, and dedication to justice for Suzanne.

I had “Morphew AA” on my calendar for today, expecting to set aside time to discuss after its release. Boooo. :(

In the meantime, these items stood out to me from the May 9 notes:

11:14 AM: Password change on SMs Facebook. (I CANNOT REMEMBER THIS BUT WROTE IT DOWN)

^Did we know this? This seems important.

May 9, 2020 – 2:44 PM and 4:44 PM driver door closed, slight drift in latitude, but no evidence that the F350 moved.

^How did Barry go to Salida Spa during this time? Lie. He has some splainin’ to do.

Hi @steeltowngirl. So, the FB password change... I can't remember this at all, but wrote it down with a time of 11:14 AM. I am wondering if this was the reset on the evening of May 8th, but I just can't be certain because of brain fog.

Regarding the truck not moving. I looked back in my notes. I am pretty sure it was on May 9th as I have in another spot that BM was back at Puma Path on 2:44 PM.

I wrote:
Telematics -> 5/9 -> 2:44 pm and 4:44 pm, driver door closed, slight drift in longtitude (in one area of my notes)

and

5/9 -> 2:44 pm and 4:44 pm, no evidence that truck moved (in another area of my notes).

But I also have to say that things got very confusing with all the dates/times. I wonder if I wrote down pm instead of am...

The "Gone Girl" defense doesn't jive with the planted bike and helmet. If she were to leave on her own...she had a car sitting in the garage with keys, and a husband dutifully working on an urgent jobsite in Broomfield....but she chose to check out on a bicycle in Colorado? Well, alrighty, then.

I suppose they could say SM planted the bike and helmet and staged her own disappearance, turned off the security cameras (her DNA on cables), took 70k cash from the safe. I'm stuck after that. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong