Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #99

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is so wonderful to hear. I felt pangs for you as we (Canada) were unrolling our vaccination program and Australia hadn't received their shipments yet. We started seriously vaccinating our local population in February and are just finishing up the stragglers now. Yesterday was our last local mass clinic. I will miss the bright days in my week when we worked our butts off to get our people vaccinated. At the close of the day yesterday, the Hospital and Public Health CEOs came to thank us each in person and give us a gift .. unnecessary, but it was a kind gesture.

We have 87% of our local eligible population vaccinated now. Mobile, school, pharmacy, and pop-up clinics will continue, and who knows, with boosters in the forecast, we might be setting up the mass clinics again soon.

From this end of the project, it seems as though the time went by quickly. But back in February, it felt as though we were working at a snail's pace. The task was so huge.

Oh, well done! I know you have worked hard to help get your community vaccinated.

87% is a great achievement. I look at our vaccination rate too much, I think. It seems to go at a snail's pace as well.

But considering where we were just a short time ago, the country is now at 35.7% fully vaccinated, 59.6% with at least one dose. I keep my eye on the 'one dose' number because I know that will soon translate to fully-vaccinated.

I think the piece that is missing from a discussion of fully vaccinated people
getting more serious infections is what is their lifestyle-- my guess is that lots
of vaccinated people have, to some extent, thrown caution to the wind like
no masks, dining in restaurants with lots of peop!e, lack of social distancing.
We will never know about that piece of the puzzle, but I think those elements
are present in many of these serious breakthrough infections.

RSBM

That's unbelievably disturbing.
What happened to thoughtful, considerate, kind gestures we were experiencing everywhere before the pandemic? I remember many at giving and receiving.

So sad to see people becoming more heartless, cruel, barbaric. Those maskless Covid positives not only don't care if they infect others but their actions show their desire to intentionally infect others. Just nasty.
We were lucky if half the people masked when it was mandated. No one enforced it.
Around here kindness went away a year and a half ago.
Angry and belligerent took precedence.
JMO

I think the piece that is missing from a discussion of fully vaccinated people
getting more serious infections is what is their lifestyle-- my guess is that lots
of vaccinated people have, to some extent, thrown caution to the wind like
no masks, dining in restaurants with lots of peop!e, lack of social distancing.
We will never know about that piece of the puzzle, but I think those elements
are present in many of these serious breakthrough infections.
The vaxxed people who die from covid are usually older individuals. Their vaxx could be wearing off (like what happened in Israel). We now have people whose second dose was more than 6 months ago (where immunity from the vaccine starts waning).

The vaxxed people who die from covid are usually older individuals. Their vaxx could be wearing off (like what happened in Israel). We now have people whose second dose was more than 6 months ago (where immunity from the vaccine starts waning).

I was reading yesterday that the vaccinations do not start waning in many people. That their antibodies have been building over time and are still ready to fight.

However, there is a good chunk of vaccinated people whose antibodies never built up to any good degree, if at all (immunocompromised, elderly, transplantees, other variables).

But re-vaccination and/or adjusted vaccinations will be required for many, due to new variants - like Delta.
In the same manner that re-vaccination is advised for flu, because the flu virus mutates every year.

(Sorry, don't have time to look for the link at the moment, but when I do have more time I will post it.)

Last edited:
I can see one day having a Covid shot incorporated with the flu shot annually.

But until then I see us being called back for booster shots on a regular basis.

And when I get my call, I won't hesitate to take advantage of the privilege to protect myself, and others that I may come into contact with.

I was reading yesterday that the vaccinations do not start waning in many people. That their antibodies have been building over time and are still ready to fight.

However, there is a good chunk of vaccinated people whose antibodies never built up to any good degree, if at all (immunocompromised, elderly, transplantees, other variables).

But re-vaccination and/or adjusted vaccinations will be required for many, due to new variants - like Delta.
In the same manner that re-vaccination is advised for flu, because the flu virus mutates every year.

(Sorry, don't have time to look for the link at the moment, but when I do have more time I will post it.)
A lot of data indicate that immunity wanes.
"That’s too long to wait, Topol said. Based on the research, Topol said immunity may begin to go down at around the five- or six-month mark, leaving vaccinated people more vulnerable to infection."
COVID vaccine efficacy wanes amid delta variant surge, CDC study shows (usatoday.com)

Your stories just break my heart...
How do you feel "these times" influence people wanting to go into nursing and health care in the future?
I think it can’t be good for careers in the healthcare field.

One of my coworkers, a nurse, keeps saying she is going to resign and go work at Target.
This is what I'm worried about in the nursing home where my mom is--already they're short-staffed, which is worrisome, but the aides are not paid well and if they don't want to get the shot, they'll just find another job.

I think most of the residents are vaccinated, but of course, I don't know. We get bi-weekly updates (they test on Tue. and Fri.) and yesterday, we had three staff test positive and one resident. No names, of course, or whether they're nurses, aides.
Sadly, nursing home aides and home health aides are paid very little for the important job of caregiving.

In the area where I live, CNAs at nursing homes are paid $12 -$13 per hour, and home health aides are paid $10-$12 per hour. Target pays$17 to start, Chick-fil-A pays $17 to start, and other fast food restaurants pay $15 or $16.

Some restaurants are even offering hiring bonuses.

It is no wonder nursing homes are always short staffed.

My state of New South Wales is on the verge of 70% single dose vaccination and by October 21 its expected to be 70% double dosed.

NSW on track to reach major vaccine milestone today

On a personal note I now have some human contact, and have a nominated visitor, bubble buddy, whatever we call it.
I spent last lockdown last year not seeing a single in person, human being/friend, for weeks.

Excluding supermarket or Dept store click and collect staff but no one close. Not the same as family or friends.

Of course I'm still taking all precautions and my friend is too. We keep a social distance even in my home and wear our masks inside.
And do the hand sanitising etc.

Yesterday was the first of the buddy thing and I already feel my feeling down is disappearing :)

Our local entertainment centre, in the centre of town, a couple of blocks from me has the defence force coming and giving vaccinations next week.
They've travelling around the central west and have already been to Dubbo and other places, the article didn't mention where.

I think this is a great idea. The other vaccination places either require a car to get there as it's drive through and the ones that don't are a fair distance away. I can see many people around town within walking distance, and those who are on the bus route finding this useful.
And maybe homeless people.

The vaccine ages start at 12 and over.
Some neighbouring towns can get vaccinated here too.

Starts on Monday 6th September and runs til Saturday 11th September.

Behind a paywall.
Defence force to use BMEC to up city's vaccination pace

So tonight my husband went to the bar with the guys after his golf league. I hate that he did that. It was the last golf game for the season so he decided to do that. I do not go to bars or restaurants - haven't since the pandemic began. If I told him not to go we would have gotten into a huge argument and I did not feel like doing that. He is vaccinated but he is at the 6 month stage and we are in our 70's. I am going to try not to freak out--- A few weeks ago I got together at my old office with x-co workers- all vaccinated and we ordered pizza takeout and ate it in the office. It was lots of fun and I did not feel afraid I would get the virus----

Good thing she didn't try to spell Pfizer.

Illinois woman arrested in Hawaii after showing vaccination card with misspelling, court records say

CHICAGO — A suburban Chicago woman was arrested in Hawaii last week after, court records show, she entered the state with a fake COVID-19 vaccination card that misspelled drug company “Moderna” as “Maderna.”
Investigators arrested Mrozak at the airport on her departure date, and she told them that she paid for her vaccination card at her doctor’s office, according to court records.

So tonight my husband went to the bar with the guys after his golf league. I hate that he did that. It was the last golf game for the season so he decided to do that. I do not go to bars or restaurants - haven't since the pandemic began. If I told him not to go we would have gotten into a huge argument and I did not feel like doing that. He is vaccinated but he is at the 6 month stage and we are in our 70's. I am going to try not to freak out--- A few weeks ago I got together at my old office with x-co workers- all vaccinated and we ordered pizza takeout and ate it in the office. It was lots of fun and I did not feel afraid I would get the virus----

Well now, I would have thought you'd order wings!!!!!

Regardless, they want us to be afraid, don't let them win.

Ontario juries must be vaccinated starting next week

Only fully vaccinated Ontarians can serve on juries starting next week at the order of the chief justice of the Superior Court of Justice.

Potential jurors who are unvaccinated or prefer not to answer the question will have their jury service deferred to a later date as of Sept. 7, Superior Court Justice Geoffrey Morawetz wrote in the order issued Tuesday. The order lasts until Oct. 8, but can be extended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77