Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 #80 *arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
‘The evidence in this case draws a parallel, to my mind. I think it can be compared to meals that are served across this country on family get-togethers, large meals, often prepared by very proud mothers who intend to serve up something for everybody, who know that not everybody's going to like the sweet potatoes in the same way. They know that everybody's not going to like every one of the desserts served. But their objective is when that meal is done, each and every person can push away from that table entirely satisfied and maybe even stuffed.

Well, the evidence in this case that the Government's presented is a smorgasbord of evidence, and you are entitled to pick and choose; and our prediction is once you do that, you can push away from that evidence entirely satisfied that we have proven beyond a reasonable doubt the charges against this defendant."
I’d like the prosecution to bring in a a bit of Andy Moorman and his memorable filling the envelope. Fill that envelope with all of the evidence and seal Barry’s fate.

Other Trash Runs?
MOO PP is HOA, there is a paid for dumpster on 225, where Suzanne and BM met the lady who was cleaning the B&B, MOO it's a utility paid for in the HOA fees.
There is no penny pinching, only avoidance of trash accessible to authorities.
@Boxer bbm
Agreeing w your point - When disposing of his 'trash run' items, BM did not want to place them in closeby dumpster, easily identifiable & accessible to LE.
Did BM make trash runs after Mo. Day weekend. Say, when listing home for sale, when moving to condo, or just before house closing? If so, did LE harvest any evd from those runs? Maybe no reason for state to raise in PH. Just wondering.

"HOA
  • HOA fee: $320 annually
  • Services included: Covenant Enforcement, Snow Removal, Other"
Does "other" include trash removal? ;) Who knows? Who cares?:D Probably not relevant or material in any way, shape, or formto the case.
19057 Puma Path, Salida, CO 81201 | Zillow

Interesting that listing info for a different lot in same subdivision describes HOA services differently.
"Association Information

Association Fee Includes: Road Maintenance
Association Fee Total Annual: $386
19051 Monarch River Drive, Salida, CO 81201 | Compass

Last edited:
I wonder if the defense will call FB as a witness at trial to testify UNDER OATH that on Mother’s Day while he was riding his bike he saw a vehicle parked near where Suzanne’s bike was found which looked out of place? We can’t sleuth FB here but I don’t believe he is telling the truth. MOO
@Lilypad13 MOO - I am 100% with you - I believe Francis will never be called as a witness, but that is just my opinion
of course

Leaving Marriage?
"I can't leave my marriage for biblical reasons"....
@"Scootie98 sbm
Just jumping off your post. Are those her exact words? To whom? When? Link?

What did SM mean by that? That per her view of Bible -
- only acceptable reason to divorce or keave marriage is spouse committing aduktery, and he had not, so no divorce/leaving?
- same, but as she was the one committing adultery, she could not initiate divorce/leave?

Or she just could not face her her family, BM's fam? Or her CO or IN congregation?
Or something else entirely?

Anyone? Sorry to be dense, so would appreciate some help in understanding.

i've followed crimes on websleuths prior to joining about 3 years ago so i'm not sure if my nightmare scenario for any case has happened before but i think this case has a better than 50% chance of it happening and that is BM is bound over for 1st degree and remains jailed however the AA remains sealed until trial, probably a year out, and the judge places a gag order on prosecution and defense. what fun for all of us, huh? of course there will be multiple FOIA lawsuits but all will fail. actually, this would be a great case to test this court behavior both in CO & nationally. hope it does not happen. MOO.
BBM. Judge Murphy has set a date for release of the sealed arrest affidavit: 7 days after the conclusion of the preliminary hearing. The hearing will be concluded when he announces his decisions regarding probable cause and "proof evident or presumption great" on September 17.

If the judge wants to continue to withhold public access, he must explain why and set a new date when public access will be allowed. He has followed Colorado law (and Constitutional Law) to the letter so far, and I expect he will continue to do so. Even the Colorado Freedom of Information Coalition seems to agree: no appeal of his original order limiting access to the AA was filed.

Both the substantial interests the judge cited in support of his decision to limit access were temporary in nature: the challenge of redacting a 130 page document and the need to provide protection for victims. There is nothing to suggest that new interests have arisen that would justify retaining the redacted AA for a longer period.

The Colorado Supreme Court recently rejected media claims of a First Amendment right to public access in the 2018 case, In re People v. Sir Mario Owens. The CFOIC petitioned the Supreme Court of the United States for review of this decision, and in 2019 the SCOTUS denied their petition. There is no reason to believe that the CSC or the SCOTUS have changed their priorities or discovered a First Amendment right of public access that has never existed. So, I respectfully disagree with the bolded statement. MOO.

I am curious as to why you feel a jury would have difficulty believing he could dispose of her body, in a vast forested area, with loads of time unaccounted for?
that's one third of the chore for prosecution....opportunity. Then there's, motive and means. To me.....I think all three are prov
Leaving Marriage?
@"Scootie98 sbm

- only acceptable reason to divorce or keave marriage is spouse committing aduktery, and he had not, so no divorce/leaving?
- same, but as she was the one committing adultery, she could not initiate divorce/leave?

Or she just could not face her her family, BM's fam? Or her CO or IN congregation?

while not word for word...Suzanne did confide this...that she had biblical reasons against a divorce..and that sentiment appears to have been less of an obstacle toward the end..."I'm done". After all...Suzanne did compile a list of 50 reasons?

Someday, somebody undercover needs to butter him up. Tell him how smart he is. Rub his ego. Pry a little bit. Work on him. Ask him how he did it, how he pulled it off. He’ll talk.
JMO

I think that is what Agent Grusing did, and almost led to a confession (immunity request by BM.). And also by BM said he trusted Grusing and couldn’t believe he arrested him. And.. IMO where the sex and steak dinner talk came from. I picture Grusing asking about the “great evening” and BM bragging about it, guy-to-guy. I don’t think it happened at all. More lies and egomania.

Exactly! Thank you for clarifying this. If more evidence has emerged during the trial that could be useful on a retrial, the DA will organize a new trial. Obviously, if there are only 1-2 holdouts, and the rest think he's guilty, retrying him on Murder 2 would be appropriate. I bet he would be convicted fairly quickly. Once everyone in Chaffee County realizes how outrageous it is not to convict Barry Morphew of something in relation to his missing wife, the next panel of jurors will sit up straight in their chairs and list very closely to jury instructions. IMO.

So...my timeline is Barry stays in jail until trial (I hope, I hope). Trial is scheduled for early 2022. Here's where it gets tricky. Barry is going nutso in jail. He wants out. If he stays in, he will be very displeased if his defense attorneys can't get him a speedy trial - so we may not see the usual defense requests for delay. Maybe if they scare him with the prospect of going to prison, he may opt for them to delay the trial. The defense almost always prefers to delay a trial that they are worried they're going to lose. I guess they hope for miracles.

Anyway, his trial probably won't happen until late Spring, 2022. Any guesses on how long in weeks this trial will be? I think at least 6 weeks. Could be longer. If the defense drags out the trial, and the prosecution is swift and tidy, that will work against the defense (but make the defense attorneys lots of money).

He'd be immediately set for trial again and stay in jail if a mistrial is declared (unless DA refiles as Murder 2).

Barry will have spent 1 year in jail by the time that next trial is set or charges are refiled. I think that will be enough to get his attention - and to allow his family members to find some stability from which to move forward - all the available evidence will have been aired.

I don't think he'd be found not guilty of all the charges (the illegal gun for example) and I believe a jury will convict him of at least one felony. So he would lose his guns and never hunt (with a gun) again. He would also have parole restrictions as to where he could travel and how often he had to check in with Chaffee County.
I think for Barry....illegal hunting is about as likely as illegal voting.

I don’t post on this tread much but I have followed along since the beginning. I have a question rattling around my brain. Could those several trash dumps been red herrings? He had to know he was going to get caught on camera at at least a few of those places? Why not take advantage of the vast wilderness and dump or bury the things he wanted disappeared? Or did he pitch the important stuff over the rail off a cliff? Maybe the stuff he disposed of about town was meaningless stuff intended to confuse LE? He was reported to be a true crime follower so he would have to know some of the tricks! I don’t know. MOO and all that. I am I interested in your thoughts. Sorry if this was discussed at length earlier.

I don’t post on this tread much but I have followed along since the beginning. I have a question rattling around my brain. Could those several trash dumps been red herrings? He had to know he was going to get caught on camera at at least a few of those places? Why not take advantage of the vast wilderness and dump or bury the things he wanted disappeared? Or did he pitch the important stuff over the rail off a cliff? Maybe the stuff he disposed of about town was meaningless stuff intended to confuse LE? He was reported to be a true crime follower so he would have to know some of the tricks! I don’t know. MOO and all that. I am I interested in your thoughts. Sorry if this was discussed at length earlier.
My thoughts: While there is a lot of wilderness for disposing of these items, they would persist for a long time and could be suspiciously attributable to BM if found. Putting the items in the dumpsters, on the other hand, would mean that they would be gone in short order, quickly commingled with other trash at the landfill. Both approaches have their risks. JMO.

It is my understanding that in lieu of shooting a dart from tranquilizer gun, a person could simply "stab" the dart into a muscular area; the contents under pressure would immediately inject just as if it were shot from the gun. The gun would only be necessary for use on a wild or non-domesticated animal.

My apologies are extended for not understanding why Barry would go to the trouble of loading a tranquilizer dart with medicine and take the risk of being caught, just as he has been, when he could simply use a hypodermic needle instead, if he's going to stab Suzanne with a dart syringe loaded with medicine?
I don't understand how Barry could exert pressure into the dart in order to release the fluid unless it is being shot.

My apologies are extended for not understanding why Barry would go to the trouble of loading a tranquilizer dart with medicine and take the risk of being caught, just as he has been, when he could simply use a hypodermic needle instead, if he's going to stab Suzanne with a dart syringe loaded with medicine?
I don't understand how Barry could exert pressure into the dart in order to release the fluid unless it is being shot.
Barry is a hunter, not a medic.....I think he would use tools he is familiar with to dispense a tranq......a gun.

Some replies to questions…

1.) @Scootie90 - I think the flannel shirt was long sleeve. Wearing a long sleeve shirt in May is very normal in the Colorado high country. The days are getting warmer, but the evening/nights remain chilly. We sometimes get snow in June where I live at 7,800 feet. Salida is at 8537 ft.

2.) @justtrish - Calls to CC. Yes, that is a good question… I think we will hear more about Cassidy, to be honest. Just a hunch… ;)

Me too! I know she is missing, that’s easy to prove. Now prove that she is dead. DNA in the trash cans? Blood somewhere? Coolers missing? Surveillance moving a body? Anything? I’ve been told for 16 months that this is one the dumbest and most arrogant men you could ever meet. If he’s presented as just another dumb jock to the jury, BM might just walk. A dumb jock would have left far more evidence.
JMO
I don’t believe that an elevated level of intelligence is required to hide a body. Barry is a professional dirt digger. He has many tools needed to dig dirt. He lives in a rugged and isolated area.

Re FB and the "out of place" vehicle:

When this info first came out shortly after SM disappeared, I pictured FB having been out on some popular mountain bike trail and seeing a vehicle that was out of place in the sense that cars didn't usually go there, or a fancy low-clearance sports car on a 4wd rutted road, or something along those lines.

But now that we know SM's bike was found(planted) on the road into her subdivision, I have to wonder what FB thought was out of place? Did he live in the subdivision and thus know which vehicles were familiar or not? That seems unlikely. So maybe the vehicle seemed out of place due to what it was doing? Like was a person just sitting in the car watching something? Or was someone lifting a bike from the back? Etc.

I guess we have to wait to see if FB ends up on the witness stand to hear more details about why he thought something was suspicious about a vehicle being on what turned out to be a regular road into their neighborhood. MOO
ITA, FB might have been in the area planting SM's bike.

But, I'd gamble on the fact FB was no where near the area that day. IMO, it was a made up story.

Either way his cell records will either confirm or discredit whether he was even biking in that area on 5/10.

JMO

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Scootie98, post: 17049184, member: 289248"]while not word for word...Suzanne did confide this...that she had biblical reasons against a divorce..and that sentiment appears to have been less of an obstacle toward the end..."I'm done". After all...Suzanne did compile a list of 50 reasons?[/QUOTE]

Leaving Marriage?
@"Scootie98 sbm

^^bbm

SM was no stranger to divorce -- her own parents were divorced, and according to their Obits previously linked, remarried to second partners for longer than they were married to each other! In the end, SM was citing her own mother's divorce experience of knowing she was done and how once the decision was made, she acted on it.

IMO, not being able to divorce for biblical reasons were BM's words and belief that he constantly hurled at SM during their marriage. I think it was when BM was swearing he was never unfaithful to SM, he also told investigators that you marry BM for life. MOO

Last edited:
IMO, the public officials he tried to influence might have been using exactly that technique.
I doubt Barry would have talked with LE for the extensive amount of time he did, unless they were buttering him up...giving him reasons to let his guard down....If it were particularly adversarial...I think Barry would have lawyered up sooner...I think LE knew that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
?Unicorn/Fkboi?