Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 #80 *arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, remainder of morning of Day 3. The dates are all over the place, but I typed up as presented in court. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you!

January 27, 2021 interviewGrusing and Harris told BM about affair. So far, 20 interviews had been conducted, but none since July 8, 2020. BM reportedly had “no idea” of the affair and stated that “he never would have suspected it”. He shared that they (BM and SM) had an “unbelievable” time in Florida in February 2020 including having sex 3x per day and SM being romantic with BM.
RSBM
Thanks so much NoSi. This isn't jiving, supposedly this was a trip with Jeff. "Along with their New Orleans trip, the pair met in April 2019 in Indiana, July 2019 in Michigan, October 2019 in Dallas, and in February 2020 in Florida." Suzanne Morphew's married lover was featured alongside her husband Barry in the local paper in 1985 | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:
I also think she was alive when he moved her.

Yep - that's the whole point of the tranquilizer dart. And seriously, that single decision is the main factor in why there's no forensic evidence at the house.

I do think all of you who suggested that Barry tried all week to get Suzanne alone out on a trail is a related strategy for him. He knew not to have any evidence of death, spittle, etc. at Puma Path.

He could even have gone for help after she "fell" from a steep trail (even better if she fell while taking a photo - it's the most common reason for women to die from falls in natural areas). But the strategy he chose has worked out pretty well for him, all things considered.

Politely snipped by me.

Why would Barry plunge a dart into Suzanne, up close and personal, in order to sedate her, if that was his intention?

I remain perplexed by this theory. It seems to me he wouldn't need an incriminating dart for tranquilizing Suzanne when a basic hypodermic needle would suffice. Pretend to hug her while plunging a needle into her back, for example. There must be a reason why he chose the dart to perform this dastardly deed.

Why would prosecutors proceed with the theory of Barry chasing his wife when using a tranquilizer firearm if it's just as likely that he stabbed her with the dart instead? This bit of testimony about Barry chasing Suzanne with a tranquilizer gun caused a great deal of trauma to me when first learning of the diabolical activity.

Because he had them already? Why go be seen buying syringes when you already have a device that works exactly like one? Plunging it into her back would have been a poor idea (it should be an intramuscular injection, and chances of hitting a bone on the back are pretty high). Leg or butt would be better.

He's a cheapskate and uses what he knows and what's on hand. He had boxes of those darts. I think he preferred hunting (using a gun) very very much.

Re FB and the "out of place" vehicle:

When this info first came out shortly after SM disappeared, I pictured FB having been out on some popular mountain bike trail and seeing a vehicle that was out of place in the sense that cars didn't usually go there, or a fancy low-clearance sports car on a 4wd rutted road, or something along those lines.

But now that we know SM's bike was found(planted) on the road into her subdivision, I have to wonder what FB thought was out of place? Did he live in the subdivision and thus know which vehicles were familiar or not? That seems unlikely. So maybe the vehicle seemed out of place due to what it was doing? Like was a person just sitting in the car watching something? Or was someone lifting a bike from the back? Etc.

I guess we have to wait to see if FB ends up on the witness stand to hear more details about why he thought something was suspicious about a vehicle being on what turned out to be a regular road into their neighborhood. MOO
Maybe it was the time of day/night (like in the middle of the night.)

@NoSI again thank you for the write up of your notes! I am going to read back over them again. Just from a quick first look, it's easy to see that LE had a field day with BM. He lied and was so suspicious with his answers and inconsistencies that they likely knew he was going to slip up and they just kept adding the evidence each time they interviewed him.

3 times a day?

Why not 3 30 times?

3 times A WEEK might've been credible.

IMO 3 times a day means 0 times.

Looks like Barry was trying to inflate his batting average.

JMO

E&Ns method is too basically badger insult, and "gotcha" the prosecution till the jury is openly scoffing at evidence, the police and witnesses.

Hope that formula has run its course.

I don't disagree but I have to think the prosecution story of Barry sneaking in and running around with a tranquilizer in a 22 is alittle outlandish. There's a hundred ways it could have happened that aren't quite so "out there" on the speculation spectrum. Prosecution still hasn't met the challenge of plausibility for me even though the concept of Barry being enraged at the idea of divorce is plausible. Takes more than a concept in a court of law when you don't have any conclusive evidence for Murder 1 in my opinion.

Outlandish?

He himself copped to running around his yard with his .22 killing chipmunks. To me, THAT'S OUTLANDISH!!

If he were a 14 year old boy and said he was shooting at beer cans with his BB gun, sure maybe.

But he's a fully grown adult, being questioned about the highly suspicious disappearance of his wife about his highly suspicious movements on the very day she went radio silent.

Barry puts himself in the yard, with killing on his agenda, weapon in hand.

I imagine his attorneys wish he'd gone with I don't recall.

JMO

RSBM
Thanks so much NoSi. This isn't jiving, supposedly this was a trip with Jeff. "Along with their New Orleans trip, the pair met in April 2019 in Indiana, July 2019 in Michigan, October 2019 in Dallas, and in February 2020 in Florida." Suzanne Morphew's married lover was featured alongside her husband Barry in the local paper in 1985 | Daily Mail Online

I think she met SO, JL, and BM in Florida 2020. I think there were two different Florida trips in February 2020, one over Valentine’s. I think i remember that BM didn't want to be alone for another Valentine’s and flew to Florida. I have to look at my notes, but this is how I remember it.

Yes, exactly, and not only that, IIRC (please correct me if not), the sheath found in the dryer was not to a dart. It was the sheath of a syringe used for loading the dart with drugs. So, why even use the dart for the jab/stab when he could use the syringe? MOO
Knowing Barry, he probably didn’t think of that, plus…he wanted to use his huntin’ stuff.

Re FB and the "out of place" vehicle:

When this info first came out shortly after SM disappeared, I pictured FB having been out on some popular mountain bike trail and seeing a vehicle that was out of place in the sense that cars didn't usually go there, or a fancy low-clearance sports car on a 4wd rutted road, or something along those lines.

But now that we know SM's bike was found(planted) on the road into her subdivision, I have to wonder what FB thought was out of place? Did he live in the subdivision and thus know which vehicles were familiar or not? That seems unlikely. So maybe the vehicle seemed out of place due to what it was doing? Like was a person just sitting in the car watching something? Or was someone lifting a bike from the back? Etc.

I guess we have to wait to see if FB ends up on the witness stand to hear more details about why he thought something was suspicious about a vehicle being on what turned out to be a regular road into their neighborhood. MOO

Hmmm... I recall very early what I thought was an unidentified resident tell a TV reporter that he reported a suspicious vehicle (i.e., outsider) seen driving slowly near the bike trail on Sunday. I think he was interviewed in a parking zone similar to where I envision SM would park and unload her own bike.

Seems this witness now has a name, "FB," and part of the story. Why? Did I miss his name in the preliminary? Would like to read MSM link to know where interest in "FB" is coming from. TIA.

ETA: located the soundbite video but can't link.

Last edited:
Hmmm... I recall very early what I thought was an unidentified resident tell a TV reporter that he reported a suspicious vehicle (i.e., outsider) seen driving slowly near the bike trail on Sunday. I think he was interviewed in a parking zone similar to where I envision SM would park and unload her own bike.

Seems this witness now has a name, "FB," and part of the story. Why? Did I miss his name in the preliminary? Would like to read MSM link to know where interest in "FB" is coming from. TIA.

Suzanne would not have driven one-tenth of a mile to unload her bike near the ravine where it was eventually found, IMO (which is more or less where this individual says he saw the unusual van),

I'm still sticking with what MH says (MM2's BF) about Suzanne going into town to bike on flatter, safer places (and without the hazard of expert mountain bikers ramming into her as they fly down those mountains). He emphasized that she was a beginner and didn't do the "tough trails." I don't see any reason for Suzanne to move her RR even half a mile to the beginning of an expert trail (which is mostly what's around them). She would have just toodled around the neighborhood/flat nearby county roads, etc. But that was apparently not her habit in the first place - she went to a park (which MH names in the bodycam video).

If someone will message me his full name again (someone put it upthread), I'll try to find a print version. I've listened to the FM Heart of the Rockies news broadcast (it has a news department, I consider it MSM) somewhere and that's who mentioned it.

More: I found where I found it - it's on Thread #17, posted by a local, post 808. So, two local sources - but the second article has, I believe, been edited and updated and has completely different content at this point.

Maybe mods will clarify if we can still use the Heart of the Rockies broadcast. There are other mentions of this person - but they all go back to those two sources (along with a blog he has written).

Last edited:
Since I read that, I too keep thinking about this. Why would someone need to write down to feed the cat? I suppose even if it’s usually not your chore to feed the cat you would remember to feed it when you see her walk around the house? Unless the place of the feeding changed and suddenly became important, to make her feel more at home in the room, to teach her that there is her home base.
One other option is that SM still could have had “chemo brain” and was prone to forgetting things even if those things would seem basic and logical to us. The girls should know if that was the case.
Or SM never wrote that list. I hope LE could compare the handwriting to other written text of her.

I wonder whether it was written by Suzanne too - no mention of a litter tray being cleaned/emptied/changed etc. Small detail I know but maybe something that wouldn't occur to BM based on truck hygiene but allegedly Suzanne was tidied and organised so would likely to have occurred to her?

moo

Suzanne would not have driven one-tenth of a mile to unload her bike near the ravine where it was eventually found, IMO (which is more or less where this individual says he saw the unusual van),

I'm still sticking with what MH says (MM2's BF) about Suzanne going into town to bike on flatter, safer places (and without the hazard of expert mountain bikers ramming into her as they fly down those mountains). He emphasized that she was a beginner and didn't do the "tough trails." I don't see any reason for Suzanne to move her RR even half a mile to the beginning of an expert trail (which is mostly what's around them). She would have just toodled around the neighborhood/flat nearby county roads, etc. But that was apparently not her habit in the first place - she went to a park (which MH names in the bodycam video).

If someone will message me his full name again (someone put it upthread), I'll try to find a print version. I've listened to the FM Heart of the Rockies news broadcast (it has a news department, I consider it MSM) somewhere and that's who mentioned it.

More: I found where I found it - it's on Thread #17, posted by a local, post 808. So, two local sources - but the second article has, I believe, been edited and updated and has completely different content at this point.

Maybe mods will clarify if we can still use the Heart of the Rockies broadcast. There are other mentions of this person - but they all go back to those two sources (along with a blog he has written).
Thanks, @10ofRods. I did found the local Radio broadcast elsewhere which is the version I was recalling from more than a year ago. I believe interest in FB must now be coming from social media and I'll leave it at that. Especially since I don't believe SM took a bike ride on Sunday! Nothingburger... MOO

Thanks, @10ofRods. I did found the local Radio broadcast elsewhere which is the version I was recalling from more than a year ago. I believe interest in FB must now be coming from social media and I'll leave it at that. Especially since I don't believe SM took a bike ride on Sunday! Nothingburger... MOO

I don't think he ever said he saw her - he said he saw a "strange vehicle" and contributed to the chaos of Weeks 1 and 2. Probably a nothingburger - but we may find him on the witness list (maybe). I would think SD (an approved visitor for Barry) will be on the witness list.

It’s almost as if Suzanne was in fact a reliable narrator…

bringing girls into the fights” – BM brought girls into the fights by telling them “Mom thinks I have an affair, but it’s not true”. He regretted doing this and said “it’s the worst thing I ever did.” SM was reportedly very mad.

RSBM

https://twitter.com/ashleykktv/status/1424857554769768481?s=21
Defense says #SuzanneMorphew dad says she was supposed to see him in Florida for 4 days in 2019, but abruptly left for what he thought was to go meet #BarryMorphew. Defense says she was actually going to see Libler. @KKTV11News

I think she met SO, JL, and BM in Florida 2020. I think there were two different Florida trips in February 2020, one over Valentine’s. I think i remember that BM didn't want to be alone for another Valentine’s and flew to Florida. I have to look at my notes, but this is how I remember it.
I imagine SO was the cover for the trip which included JL. Also there was a report that SM was with her dad in FL for a day or so...then went and met JL. I don't know which or both is true. The fact that BM would crash that party is disturbing. Two things Barry did are game-changing triggers that I can see. First...crashing an out of state trip unannounced....screams "I DON"T TRUST YOU".....the second is more disturbing....Introducing physical DV or a lethal weapon into an argument (gun to the head).....Either of these two events fractures the relationship beyond repair , IMO. There is simply no way that a relationship can survive.....especially a gun. Any argument between these two thereafter would be so stressful for Suzanne...flashes of that gun cannot possibly go away.. The relationship was terminal at that point.

I don't think he ever said he saw her - he said he saw a "strange vehicle" and contributed to the chaos of Weeks 1 and 2. Probably a nothingburger - but we may find him on the witness list (maybe). I would think SD (an approved visitor for Barry) will be on the witness list.
^^bbm

I believe it was a 'car out of place... very suspicious, and I called a detective and/or the tipline.' At the time, I think it was the right thing to do.

Curious?... :eek:
On what foundation would SD be called: to prove evidence or disprove evidence? Or do you mean during the penalty phase to talk up BM's character?

Last edited:
Outlandish?

He himself copped to running around his yard with his .22 killing chipmunks. To me, THAT'S OUTLANDISH!!

If he were a 14 year old boy and said he was shooting at beer cans with his BB gun, sure maybe.

But he's a fully grown adult, being questioned about the highly suspicious disappearance of his wife about his highly suspicious movements on the very day she went radio silent.

Barry puts himself in the yard, with killing on his agenda, weapon in hand.

I imagine his attorneys wish he'd gone with I don't recall.

JMO
And he didn’t tell them he was shooting chipmunks until February 2021.

https://twitter.com/carolamckinley/status/1425193216555425797?s=21
Morphew atty Dru NIelsen questioning Agent Grusing says Barry Morphew spoke with investigators 23X from May 10 til the end of 2020. None of those times did he mention that he shot chipmunks. This in reference to why his cellphone showed he was running around the house on the 10th

https://twitter.com/laurenscharftv/status/1429809514954514436?s=21
Feb. 28, 2021 interview: "When I'm home I walk around and shoot chipmunks." We are hearing audio from an interview with LE. Nielsen wanted to make it clear that #BarryMorphew didn't shoot 85 chipmunks all at once.

I imagine SO was the cover for the trip which included JL. Also there was a report that SM was with her dad in FL for a day or so...then went and met JL. I don't know which or both is true. The fact that BM would crash that party is disturbing. Two things Barry did are game-changing triggers that I can see. First...crashing an out of state trip unannounced....screams "I DON"T TRUST YOU".....the second is more disturbing....Introducing physical DV or a lethal weapon into an argument (gun to the head).....Either of these two events fractures the relationship beyond repair , IMO. There is simply no way that a relationship can survive.....especially a gun. Any argument between these two thereafter would be so stressful for Suzanne...flashes of that gun cannot possibly go away.. The relationship was terminal at that point.
Not to mention randomly shooting chipmunks from the patio on any given afternoon! I believe such acts underscore intimidation by BM which Colorado also defines as DV. The dude ain't right! MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow