Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #99

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, the risk went from about .015% to about 0.06? That makes sense, since the overall rate of breakthrough varies (according to vaccine and other variables) from .037-.05 in studies not trying to look at the Delta variant.

6 in 10,000 then. I do want to know how long after vaccination these breakthroughs are occurring because I'm helping with a local study where we're definitely finding that people who treated their first shot as pretty much complete immunity are among the breakthrough cases, and those with a second shot who nevertheless began to take up high risk activities within 2 weeks after vaccination are a big segment of the breakthrough cases.

There needs to be more work - but the CDC should probably start doing more to warn people that they ought not to go hang out all night at an enclosed bar with loud people on the very day they got their vaccine (people actually go celebrate their vaccine in this manner - or wait a week and go to a house party or stop wearing masks indoors). We've still got indoor mask mandates where I live - so our breakthrough rates are lower, thankfully.

Ontario is keeping track and reporting daily covid case numbers in vaccinated, partially, and unvaccinated people. Ontario has a fully vaccinated rate of 67%, and 83% of the eligible population has had at least one dose.

Of the 746 cases today with a known vaccination status:

499, or 66.9 per cent, were in unvaccinated people.

68, or 9.1 per cent, had a single dose.

179, or 24 per cent, had two doses.

So we can see that 76% of the cases are in people who are not vaccinated or partially vaccinated.

The province's raw data on the vaccination status of cases does not include breakdowns by age.
That, and the fact that the populations of vaccinated and unvaccinated people in Ontario differ greatly by both size and demographics, are important caveats to note when examining cases by vaccination status.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/covid-19-ontario-september-3-2021-update-1.6163713

COVID-19 vaccine tracker: tracing every dose of the coronavirus vaccine administered in Canada

While our CDC and FDA are waffling on whether we actually need a third shot...

"Prof Eran Segal, who advises the Israeli government on Covid matters, said by month five or six after vaccination, people are probably only 30-40% protected, compared with more than 90% when protection first kicks in."
Covid: What Israel tells us about the way out of the pandemic - BBC News

Ontario is keeping track and reporting daily covid case numbers in vaccinated, partially, and unvaccinated people. Ontario has a fully vaccinated rate of 67%, and 83% of the eligible population has had at least one dose.

Of the 746 cases today with a known vaccination status:

499, or 66.9 per cent, were in unvaccinated people.

68, or 9.1 per cent, had a single dose.

179, or 24 per cent, had two doses.

So we can see that 76% of the cases are in people who are not vaccinated or partially vaccinated.

The province's raw data on the vaccination status of cases does not include breakdowns by age.
That, and the fact that the populations of vaccinated and unvaccinated people in Ontario differ greatly by both size and demographics, are important caveats to note when examining cases by vaccination status.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/covid-19-ontario-september-3-2021-update-1.6163713

COVID-19 vaccine tracker: tracing every dose of the coronavirus vaccine administered in Canada

Alberta released the following info. I'm guessing that means 20% of hospitalizations are vaccinated people, meaning that the stats are the same in Alberta and Ontario.

"Unvaccinated people have made up more than 80 per cent of all hospital admissions since July 1, he said."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/alberta-covid-kenney-hinshaw-1.6163826

Telstra is Australia's largest and most popular telecomms provider .......

Telstra has changed how its network name displays on customers’ devices in a controversial move to encourage more people to get the Covid jab.

The Aussie telco added the tagline “#LetsVaxx” to its users’ devices on Thursday as part of its campaign, which offers customers who get fully vaccinated bonus Telstra Plus Points.

“Great to see Telstra is doing what it can to encourage customers to get vaccinated,” one person wrote.

Others shared screenshots showing the change on their phones, many saying they were “loving it”.

Telstra’s controversial vaccine move

I was watching MSNBC tonight: Apparently there is controversy regarding a third booster shot. What they said was the Pfizer may get approval by the FDA (perhaps for special population like that of the elderly), but Moderna will not get approval - apparently there was something about their data that was problematic. I will look for some links but that is what I heard tonight. It was also said that the CDC wants the white house to back off from recommending boosters for everyone beginning September. We shall see how this shakes out.

I was watching MSNBC tonight: Apparently there is controversy regarding a third booster shot. What they said was the Pfizer may get approval by the FDA (perhaps for special population like that of the elderly), but Moderna will not get approval - apparently there was something about their data that was problematic. I will look for some links but that is what I heard tonight. It was also said that the CDC wants the white house to back off from recommending boosters for everyone beginning September. We shall see how this shakes out.

Thanks for information

A school ordered a student to quarantine. His dad and 2 men confronted the principal with zip ties, official says.

In a live video posted to Instagram, one of the two men who joined the dad told his followers that they were about to “confront this administration” for “breaking the law.”

“If necessary, we’ll do a citizen’s arrest,” the man said before showing off the “law enforcement zip ties” they brought.

Inside the principal’s office, the men confronted the administrator, arguing that quarantining “children that aren’t sick” breaks state law. No one in the video was wearing masks. The school district does not require them.

“If you insist on this, I’ll have you arrested,” one man said. “We’re ready to make a citizen’s arrest if necessary.”
RSBM
The man ended up getting arrested. Good!

1 arrest after clash over Arizona school's COVID mandates

TUCSON, Ariz. (AP) — The father of an Arizona elementary school student was arrested after he and two other men showed up to the campus with zip ties, threatening to make a “citizen’s arrest” on the school principal over a COVID-19 quarantine, school officials said Friday.
School officials said the man arrested was the father. Vargo said they are pursuing charges against the other two men.

RSBM
The man ended up getting arrested. Good!

1 arrest after clash over Arizona school's COVID mandates

TUCSON, Ariz. (AP) — The father of an Arizona elementary school student was arrested after he and two other men showed up to the campus with zip ties, threatening to make a “citizen’s arrest” on the school principal over a COVID-19 quarantine, school officials said Friday.
School officials said the man arrested was the father. Vargo said they are pursuing charges against the other two men.

Thank you for this update. The men's actions are abominable. They, the dad and 2 other men, put this all over SM like they did it for grins and giggles and attention. Really seems like an attention getting trick.

At the son's expense.

Will see how they enjoy the judge's attention.

606e6ee0fc28351d5dc14ecb7506f777--judge-judy-dont-judge.jpg

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/476044623089668992/

Last edited:
Here are some wonderful stats for you, up to date, and with very nice graphs.

https://www.publichealthontario.ca/...pi-confirmed-cases-post-vaccination.pdf?la=en

Thank you! Interesting. Israel found that breakthrough cases corresponded to length of time since double vaccination. Since older adults (80+) were vaccinated first, breakthrough cases were first seen in that age group. I'm curious whether two months from now, we'll see deaths and breakthrough cases in a younger age group - the 60-80 age that was vaccinated next (in Canada).

Thank you! Interesting. Israel found that breakthrough cases corresponded to length of time since double vaccination. Since older adults (80+) were vaccinated first, breakthrough cases were first seen in that age group. I'm curious whether two months from now, we'll see deaths and breakthrough cases in a younger age group - the 60-80 age that was vaccinated next (in Canada).

Over 60s with chronic illnesses have always been among the most vulnerable. And it is showing, in Israel.

In Israel's COVID-19 wards, doctors are learning which vaccinated patients are most vulnerable to severe illness, amid growing concerns about instances in which the shots provide less protection against the worst forms of the disease.

The majority of these patients received two vaccine doses at least five months ago, are over the age of 60 and also have chronic illnesses known to exacerbate a coronavirus infection. They range from diabetes to heart disease and lung ailments, as well as cancers and inflammatory diseases that are treated with immune-system suppressing drugs

"The vaccinated patients are older, unhealthy, often they were bedridden before infection, immobile and already requiring nursing care"

In contrast, "the unvaccinated COVID patients we see are young, healthy, working people and their condition deteriorates rapidly," she said. "Suddenly they're being put on oxygen or on a respirator."

Israeli doctors find severe COVID-19 breakthrough cases mostly in older, sicker patients

Here is an article that addresses this issue- but it is behind a pay wall at the Wash. Post

Top federal health officials warn that booster shots initially may be limited to Pfizer recipients - The Washington Post

Great. Everyone in my family got Moderna.

So did I-- so my question is: Is there a downside to a booster? I mean so people who got the Pfizer shot will get the booster and the rest of us can't get it- is there a downside to a third shot? I am puzzled and confused and for those of us who got Moderna and can't get the shot in September (or maybe never?), does that put us more at risk for breakthrough infection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curious.tea