Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 #80 *arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was curious since he spent so much time behind the house but the consensus is that he couldn't have buried her in the water. I wondered if he could have walked to the other side and buried her there somewhere.

That's the most-searched area, including with cadaver dogs, IIRC. It's all very rocky. He would have had to prepare something in advance, IMO (and it would be fairly obvious, unless he dumped a lot of rocks somehow on top). I don't think he could get his Bobcat across the river - this would be shovel work.

There's just not a lot of topsoil right there. At any rate, if he did bury her there, having successfully lured at least one mountain lion to Puma Path (per Andy Moorman's convo with a policeman), the body would have been dug up and scavenged by coyotes, bobcats, mountain lions - and even rodents.

I don't think he did this, because I think he deposited her body in a manner consistent with her being abducted or dragged off - close by, but not buried by anyone's shovel or Bobcat - that would leave too much evidence.

I too am really interested in what he was doing down that way. If he *did* have a hiding place for her body somewhere between his house and the campground, that might serve both his purposes (of hiding her and pointing somewhere else - early reports mention the high occupancy at the campground, the presence of vagrants, etc).

I h0pe they have drone photos of the entire area - and it would be great if the County could afford LIDAR over a broad area...

The Shell camera in Poncha Springs takes care of eastern in and out traffic on Hwy 50.
I hope there is a cam near Garfield Mine that took care of traffic on the west.

Every vehicle would need elimination, and that leaves BM inside an 11 mile stretch of highway 50.

Via Google Street view, I couldn't find any place with a camera between the turn off for Puma Path and the turn off for the Garfield mine.

- 1:46 PM: BM located on US50 going towards town. Message “Are you around to look at backhoe” to Justin Cribari.

There was equipment at the beach site/ worksite area. Looked like 2 skid steers and and a trackhoe.

@TexieLouWho21 , you are clearly familiar with the world of digging machines. When you read the language of BM's text to Justin Cribari that I snipped above from NoSI's fabulous notes, do you think he's slangily calling the Bobcat a "backhoe"? Or do you think equipment operators don't do that, and maybe he was talking about an actual backhoe?

We've all been assuming this text is about replacing the blade on the Bobcat, and I know a Bobcat isn't a backhoe (don't I?), so I just want to make sure we're not overlooking an actual backhoe somewhere.

I know when first introduced to BM as a landscaping contractor, I sure assumed there would be many pieces of heavy equipment, a dump truck, etc, but all we've ever heard about or seen is the one Bobcat. Thanks for your thoughts on this. MOO

Was that around the same time Barry’s khaki shorts appeared in the dryer? Because it then makes sense they where in one of the khaki’s pockets.
From what I recall, Investigators were swabbing an empty clothes dryer on May 19 when the "cap" recovered. I don't recall if the sheets and khaki shorts were ever seen (prior to 5/19) in the dryer by LE. MOO

From what I recall, Investigators were swabbing an empty clothes dryer on May 19 when the "cap" recovered. I don't recall if the sheets and khaki shorts were ever seen (prior to 5/19) in the dryer by LE. MOO
That is what is a bit confusing to me. Were the shorts with the sheets when LE first secured PP? Then taken out of the dryer by LE to be analyzed? Lastly, the cap found on the 19th.

Because the PH mentions the shorts several times. They are tying them to Barry and am hoping there was some kind of fluid found on them that the washing and drying didn’t get rid off.

Last edited:
Past the Garfield road there is what looks to me like a road work garage and yard, hopeully one there.

Looks to me like that's been abandoned for awhile.

The closest public live cams I can find are up on Monarch. As it turns out, the trailhead where BM placed the bike is the Colorado Trail. Pretty popular with hikers and bikers. There are several videos of people on the trail and going from the Monarch Spur RV park to the Colorado Trail which crosses behind the Puma Path property. You get a look at the terrain, but that's about it.

@TexieLouWho21 , you are clearly familiar with the world of digging machines. When you read the language of BM's text to Justin Cribari that I snipped above from NoSI's fabulous notes, do you think he's slangily calling the Bobcat a "backhoe"? Or do you think equipment operators don't do that, and maybe he was talking about an actual backhoe?

We've all been assuming this text is about replacing the blade on the Bobcat, and I know a Bobcat isn't a backhoe (don't I?), so I just want to make sure we're not overlooking an actual backhoe somewhere.

I know when first introduced to BM as a landscaping contractor, I sure assumed there would be many pieces of heavy equipment, a dump truck, etc, but all we've ever heard about or seen is the one Bobcat. Thanks for your thoughts on this. MOO

I've been around heavy equipment my whole life. I've run my fair share of it also. You are very correct, BM's Bobcat is not a backhoe. It's a Bobcat brand skid steer. There's a backhoe attachment made for the skid steer.
Backhoe Attachment - Bobcat Company
This is a link for a picture reference of a skid steer with a backhoe attachment.
There is an actual backhoe which is more of a tractor with two types of buckets.
Backhoe Loaders | John Deere US
This link is a picture reference for a backhoe. The backhoe has a wide bucket in the front and a smaller narrow bucket in the back.
Bobcat Compact (Mini) Excavators - Bobcat Company
This is a reference for a trackhoe/excavator. I call excavators, trackhoe. The ones in pictures are considered mini.
_ref=b21natppcsssews&gclid=Cj0KCQjw1dGJBhD4ARIsANb6Odmq9SJg5jZVZT5Wn2DPWu49auPm_Y4ybTo7CPtn0MJDgZfCAnXyGqMaAn0EEALw_wcB
Now about BMs text. If I had received that text I would have immediately thought backhoe. The tractor type with the two buckets. I've never heard a machinery operator mix a skidsteer with backhoe.I think I read he was looking at getting a backhoe attachment. The attachments for a Bobcat like BMs are endless. They have too many for me to list. That's one of the best things about owning a Bobcat. You can buy the attachments you need most or rent an attachment you might need for a particular job. They are easy and fast to change. Line it up the attachment, hookup the hoses and you're ready. It takes just a few minutes. BM is a landscaper so he really can get by with the skid steer. It sounds to me like he was looking at expanding his attachments. He had forks and the blade/bucket. I could see where a backhoe attachment would be extremely useful to BM. It would reach out in streams for making water access easier from the bank. It would make planting trees easier. It can make holes where you want as deep and as wide as it can reach down and out. It can move dirt fast and efficiently. I hope this answers your inquiry and helps. Of course this is MOO. The links are for picture reference only. MOO

If I recall correctly (iirc) the turkey search shows he was at the home before she went missing like at 11:30 after veggie soup. This is important because he had to come up with a reason why he was scouting his land for an hour or so before she went missing. Many of us think this may have been him shutting cameras down . He may have disabled his wildlife cameras to make sure nothing showed outside his home on trail cams. There was no turkey he just needed a lie to be put there shutting trail cams down. Jmo

Bm was very concerned about his wildlife cameras and any one getting on his property when AM was searching. That is so telling to me. I think Suzanne is very close by. I hope they continue to look close to home. Like river beds.

That's the most-searched area, including with cadaver dogs, IIRC. It's all very rocky. He would have had to prepare something in advance, IMO (and it would be fairly obvious, unless he dumped a lot of rocks somehow on top). I don't think he could get his Bobcat across the river - this would be shovel work.

There's just not a lot of topsoil right there. At any rate, if he did bury her there, having successfully lured at least one mountain lion to Puma Path (per Andy Moorman's convo with a policeman), the body would have been dug up and scavenged by coyotes, bobcats, mountain lions - and even rodents.

I don't think he did this, because I think he deposited her body in a manner consistent with her being abducted or dragged off - close by, but not buried by anyone's shovel or Bobcat - that would leave too much evidence.

I too am really interested in what he was doing down that way. If he *did* have a hiding place for her body somewhere between his house and the campground, that might serve both his purposes (of hiding her and pointing somewhere else - early reports mention the high occupancy at the campground, the presence of vagrants, etc).

I h0pe they have drone photos of the entire area - and it would be great if the County could afford LIDAR over a broad area...

IIRC scent tracking dogs were brought in initially not just cadaver dogs and I can't remember if there was any tracking of Suzanne's scent at the home area?

….Digging any kind of hole in those conditions requires way more equipment and people than Barry had. The Bobcat auger would have either snapped or gotten stuck trying to break through what I'm going to guess is a combo of sandstone/limestone and granite….
Just a thought MOO: wonder if that’s why the blade needed to be replaced. Not sure of the timeline on when the blade was broken, or if we know this.
Wondering if BM decided that his attachment with the blade ( I don’t know the correct term for that) wouldn’t do the job and thats why he needed the backhoe.?
Again, MOO

Just a thought MOO: wonder if that’s why the blade needed to be replaced. Not sure of the timeline on when the blade was broken, or if we know this.
Wondering if BM decided that his attachment with the blade ( I don’t know the correct term for that) wouldn’t do the job and thats why he needed the backhoe.?
Again, MOO
Would this be a reason he would tell JC he needed more time ? I’m having some thoughts about DSI and BM saying I need more time. Like why would he say that to him ? Unless he needed more time before he dug what he needed to dig?

Bm was very concerned about his wildlife cameras and any one getting on his property when AM was searching. That is so telling to me. I think Suzanne is very close by. I hope they continue to look close to home. Like river beds.
Ive had the same thoughts. Hence the noise the neighbor heard in the middle of the night. However, my opinion is that she was covered in a barrel & buried deep so scent wouldn’t be detected by wildlife (strictly MOO at the moment).

Would this be a reason he would tell JC he needed more time ? I’m having some thoughts about DSI and BM saying I need more time. Like why would he say that to him ? Unless he needed more time before he dug what he needed to dig?
this is what I’m wondering too. However, I’m not suggesting that I think anyone else was in on it. Maybe he was just “needing more time” bc he was at home and couldn’t leave to go look at backhoe yet? Idk.

I’m really thinking JC might know that BM was coming. This to me shows some planning. Maybe BM just didn’t quite have his time down and then said he needed more time. Like for example he thought it would be all done by turkey scouting but then chickened out. And then came back 2-3 hours later to do what he did.

Thanks so much for this info. Why would BM tell him he needed more time? What exactly do you think he may have been doing to know he needed more time ?
Well, it looks like he hadn’t done anything yet, as SM still had the last text with JL just after BM texted JC to ask if he could look at backhoe. As far as him earlier stating he “needed more time”…no clue.
(all of this is jmo)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member