Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 #80 *arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
FYI: Chris M. said on the Interview Room last night that he puts a 500 dollar bingo card on Barry taking a plea. Found that slightly interesting, but not sure if I agree or not. o_O

It's at about 1:47:00.

I’m just jumping off your post @10ofRods because I feel like the lay of the land may not be quite what people think it is.

Per the attached Google Maps image, the Arkansas river runs behind PP. But PP is south of the river. So what lies directly across the river from PP is the neighbors’ properties, the access road to those houses and the campground, and, of course, Route 50 itself.

I’ve also added a topo map to show just how crazy the elevation gets north and south of the river. Each heavy topo line represents 200’ of elevation change. Those slopes are steep for a bobcat or an ATV (let alone a novice mountain biker). If he took SM up, he didn’t take her up very far.

And I agree with you, I’m convinced that if SM is nearby, she’s not too far from the river and probably as close to the campground as he dared to go. And I don’t think he used the bobcat, I think he put her in a stereotypical shallow grave. If not, then I believe he took her someplace much further away.

MOO.

Edited for spelling.

View attachment 311522View attachment 311523

The maps were somewhat helpful to me getting a better idea of the area. What I'm trying to figure out is if would be possible to get to the area where the bike was found via the river? Either by walking along the banks or in the water itself? I'm wondering if he could have gotten her down there that way then return to the house after depositing her there. If he left his phone on the bank in the yard it would make it seem like he was behind his own house the entire time.

I’m really thinking JC might know that BM was coming. This to me shows some planning. Maybe BM just didn’t quite have his time down and then said he needed more time. Like for example he thought it would be all done by turkey scouting but then chickened out. And then came back 2-3 hours later to do what he did.

Interesting thoughts Troc. We know that BM came home for lunch after telling MG he wanted to “make the wife happy.” And a possible Facebook password reset around 11 am (per NoSI’s notes.) Did something happen during that lunch visit? The missing prescription that SM picked up a few days before… The “drunk eyes” photo that we have not yet seen.. Did he possibly crush up her hydrocodone, put them in her soup, and attempt to have her look to have overdosed?

Or, had he thought she was going out on a bike ride while he went to DSI? He called her 11x and asked if she had left. But she hadn’t left. Did a Plan A (she goes missing, or dies of an overdose while he’s at DSI) - fail? Something about the wording of her texts to JL feel odd to me.. “He’s always gone”, “Look who’s alone again”.. have me feeling like he may have somehow sent them himself, while trying to establish something happened while he wasn’t at PP. Then he arrives home and she is there, and still alive. On to Plan B, chasing her around, use of tranquilizer darts, etc. An alleged hike that evening.

His truck not moving is quite curious, but he is a hunter and a firefighter. He is capable of moving elk and deer. He could have moved her body on foot off the property, then moved her again during the window of time LE believes he hid her remains.

All above is speculation. It’s puzzling.

Interesting thoughts Troc. We know that BM came home for lunch after telling MG he wanted to “make the wife happy.” And a possible Facebook password reset around 11 am (per NoSI’s notes.) Did something happen during that lunch visit? The missing prescription that SM picked up a few days before… The “drunk eyes” photo that we have not yet seen.. Did he possibly crush up her hydrocodone, put them in her soup, and attempt to have her look to have overdosed?

Or, had he thought she was going out on a bike ride while he went to DSI? He called her 11x and asked if she had left. But she hadn’t left. Did a Plan A (she goes missing, or dies of an overdose while he’s at DSI) - fail? Something about the wording of her texts to JL feel odd to me.. “He’s always gone”, “Look who’s alone again”.. have me feeling like he may have somehow sent them himself, while trying to establish something happened while he wasn’t at PP. Then he arrives home and she is there, and still alive. On to Plan B, chasing her around, use of tranquilizer darts, etc. An alleged hike that evening.

His truck not moving is quite curious, but he is a hunter and a firefighter. He is capable of moving elk and deer. He could have moved her body on foot off the property, then moved her again during the window of time LE believes he hid her remains.

All above is speculation. It’s puzzling.

Your thoughts on moving her by foot off the property are interesting. Maybe that is the reason he had to wash his shirt and shorts as they had body leakage on them.

They know what he was wearing when he took the bobcat in and they appear to be the same clothes.

Then later he had time to place the body into something..MOO maybe even a rubber made container or an elk bag and transport it elsewhere. Maybe that is when he wore the camo jacket and hiking boots that had to be disposed of. He had to wear a jacket because perhaps it was a lot cooler at night. Maybe he just carried her as far as he could.

Just my thoughts.

Many moons ago there were posted photos of the garage of PP house. In it were big black barrels, maybe that held driveway salt.

Your post reminded me of the large nursery pot that was supposedly dumped in one of BM's many trash dumps. I wondered what that looked like. This is a photo I found online:
plastic-nursery-containers-10000.jpg

BBM. Judge Murphy has set a date for release of the sealed arrest affidavit: 7 days after the conclusion of the preliminary hearing. The hearing will be concluded when he announces his decisions regarding probable cause and "proof evident or presumption great" on September 17.

If the judge wants to continue to withhold public access, he must explain why and set a new date when public access will be allowed. He has followed Colorado law (and Constitutional Law) to the letter so far, and I expect he will continue to do so. Even the Colorado Freedom of Information Coalition seems to agree: no appeal of his original order limiting access to the AA was filed.

Both the substantial interests the judge cited in support of his decision to limit access were temporary in nature: the challenge of redacting a 130 page document and the need to provide protection for victims. There is nothing to suggest that new interests have arisen that would justify retaining the redacted AA for a longer period.

The Colorado Supreme Court recently rejected media claims of a First Amendment right to public access in the 2018 case, In re People v. Sir Mario Owens. The CFOIC petitioned the Supreme Court of the United States for review of this decision, and in 2019 the SCOTUS denied their petition. There is no reason to believe that the CSC or the SCOTUS have changed their priorities or discovered a First Amendment right of public access that has never existed. So, I respectfully disagree with the bolded statement. MOO.
except the judge has already alluded to his concerns that some evidence/content in the AA could probably not be used in court. so possibly something along those lines.

I don't see BM taking a plea or ever admitting he killed Suzanne. It would destroy his image of himself. I bet he tells himself every single day, this is Suzanne's fault. "Oh, Suzanne..."

MOO

I’m just jumping off your post @10ofRods because I feel like the lay of the land may not be quite what people think it is.

Per the attached Google Maps image, the Arkansas river runs behind PP. But PP is south of the river. So what lies directly across the river from PP is the neighbors’ properties, the access road to those houses and the campground, and, of course, Route 50 itself.

I’ve also added a topo map to show just how crazy the elevation gets north and south of the river. Each heavy topo line represents 200’ of elevation change. Those slopes are steep for a bobcat or an ATV (let alone a novice mountain biker). If he took SM up, he didn’t take her up very far.

And I agree with you, I’m convinced that if SM is nearby, she’s not too far from the river and probably as close to the campground as he dared to go. And I don’t think he used the bobcat, I think he put her in a stereotypical shallow grave. If not, then I believe he took her someplace much further away.

MOO.

Edited for spelling.

View attachment 311522View attachment 311523

Thank you so much for the topo map! Now I've got my directions straight. Placing her in the direction of the RV camp would also be consistent with a stranger abduction defense. I don't think he used the Bobcat either.

Maybe for 20 yrs vs life.

Yep - and what if it was only 12 years? A lot of this depends on the Judge's view of things right now. Would Barry gamble with a full-on trial and weeks of evidence in the news, if he could get a 12 year sentence, and be out (possibly) in 8-9 years. The State has every reason to try and limit the time and expense of this trial - and if it were okay with the family (the two daughters), well then...that would be consistent with the kinds of deals the defense team has gotten for clients in the past.

Barry is going crazy being locked up. Can he be made to see reason? In some ways, the prosecution could certainly hope for a longer sentence that that, at trial - or it could be a mistrial, at which point Barry might indeed opt for a plea deal, in order to get out.

I'm resigned to a shorter sentence, as long as Barry Morphew is convicted of felonies regarding the disappearance of his wife and leading LE on a wild goose chase. Just as long as he can never own/use firearms again (he could still move to TX, where a felon is now allowed to own a gun - but they can't go outside their house with it, as I understand it...so no more hunting...ever...for Barry). So a shorter sentence, giving up gun ownership and no more (gun) hunting...

I wonder if the Judge can put a condition on longer parole and a ban on all weapons that can be used to hunt (bow and arrow, black powder).

If MM1 is called as a witness...will LE ask her if she shot a turkey?

Yes...they need to look into the financials...but also, they need to determine who handled the financials....IIRC, Suzanne
helped with the business books. But to what extent? Payroll? Paying business bills? Who paid the personal bills? If we are to believe that Barry controlled the finances...then it needs to be determined how he did that...in order to find out how Suzanne was able to extract monies from which sources and funnel them into a separate account. My guess is that this will be a convoluted mess.

I would like to know if MM1 had a Spring turkey permit. Colorado P&W can easily look this up.

And see MM1’s testimony if she shot a Spring turkey (with what caliber or bow) AND THEN LOST IT FOR WEEKS! That’s unheard of.

You chase injured permitted prey forever. A permitted turkey harvest is not like shooting a chipmunk varmint around your house.

If not, of course Barry will say they didn’t follow the turkey harvesting CP&W laws and could give a sh@t because he’s just Barry. But MM1 needs to testify if she shot a turkey!

I truly hope MM1 and MM2 are compelled to testify.

Last edited:
I could see him pleading the voter fraud but that is about it right now. He has 4 months served and the max in Colorado is up to 18 months so could see him leveraging the 4 months and being done with that charge.
I’m not sure the DA would allow him to make a plea without Suzanne’s body. They have come this far and spent a huge amount on the investigation. If the judge keeps him in jail on the 17th, he is done for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member