SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder when the law firm discovered the money was missing--maybe I missed that in one of the articles. If I was SLED, I'd be really peeved with them if they'd known for some time and hadn't alerted them.
I think this was super recent. It seems as if they couldn’t have brought this to SLED’s attention much faster than they did, as they traveled to the crime scene to tell them.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if they reached out to the New York Times themselves.

I think they see which way the wind is blowing, and they want to get ahead of this in a major way.

They’re washing their hands of him, and they want the world to know it.

I wonder when the law firm discovered the money was missing--maybe I missed that in one of the articles. If I was SLED, I'd be really peeved with them if they'd known for some time and hadn't alerted them.
This doesn't fully answer your question but it's some info:
"In a statement to The New York Times, the firm said that it had hired a forensic accounting firm to investigate the suspected misappropriation of funds and that it had also notified the police and the South Carolina Bar."
Lawyer Shot After Wife and Son Were Killed Had Been Pushed Out of Law Firm

I think this was super recent. It seems as if they couldn’t have brought this to SLED’s attention much faster than they did, as they traveled to the crime scene to tell them.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if they reached out to the New York Times themselves.

I think they see which way the wind is blowing, and they want to get ahead of this in a major way.

Is he the fall guy??

Same! It could have happened on August 11th when Stone recused himself.

With all the privilege, money, connections and PR they didn’t portray a solid front. It had holes and it didn’t fly with everyone.

So a few of his law firm partners show up at the shooting scene and talk about missing money . That seems sorta out of place to me. AM was probably on his way to hospital. I have not read if the Mercedes had any bullet holes. That would be expected unless when he saw the truck turn around he ran into the woods . I'm glad he's expected to make a full recovery from the gunshot to head . And I do wish him the best in his rehab . I'm just really surprised nytimes got the story, somebody is playing hardball now, might be former law partners. MOO

I really am worried about their son, BM. I hope he's getting the support he's going to need. This is truly a family greek tragedy.

I'm not sure the Greeks could touch this. It has William Faulkner written all over it.....lots of mossy trees and messy secrets. I hope Massy is right and we get to the bottom of the story soon. (See what I did there?)

I wonder if since AM is in rehab maybe LE won't be able to talk to him . Also, very interesting that nytimes is getting the story now.

RBBM.

The resources that AM previously had at his disposal are now protecting the firm.

He is now expendable, and, depending on where the money went, may also be broke.

Going to rehab won’t stop any legal proceedings. If there is anyone after him other than LE, rehab might provide more protection.

Quotes moved over to new thread from NYT

"was pushed out of his powerful law firm over claims that he had misused funds the day before he called 911"

"released from the hospital on Monday after his injury was determined to be not life-threatening and that he had immediately met with investigators from the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division, which is investigating the double-killing and the shooting of Mr. Murdaugh."

"Leaders of the Hampton, S.C., firm said they had discovered that Mr. Murdaugh had misappropriated money from the law office and that he had resigned on Friday."

"In a statement to The New York Times, the firm said that it had hired a forensic accounting firm to investigate the suspected misappropriation of funds and that it had also notified the police and the South Carolina Bar."

"and that there was a slice in one of Mr. Murdaugh’s tires,"

"said the amount was in the millions."

Lawyer Shot After Wife and Son Were Killed Had Been Pushed Out of Law Firm
Does anyone else think it’s weird he had a 2-day hospital stay for a superficial head wound? Or that he was life flighted for the same superficial wound? Because I’m guessing EMTs would have been able to tell it was superficial. But I’m wondering now if he was suicidal and he’s been in the psych ward until they could find a rehab place for him.

Last edited:
So a few of his law firm partners show up at the shooting scene and talk about missing money . That seems sorta out of place to me. AM was probably on his way to hospital. I have not read if the Mercedes had any bullet holes. That would be expected unless when he saw the truck turn around he ran into the woods . I'm glad he's expected to make a full recovery from the gunshot to head . And I do wish him the best in his rehab . I'm just really surprised nytimes got the story, somebody is playing hardball now, might be former law partners. MOO
It fits perfectly for me. On Friday they basically fire AM for allegedly embezzling millions, and the next day there is an apparent attempt on his life.

I think they saw right through that…

And yes, I think they’re out for blood.

I wonder if the law firm told Stone and he recused but never alerted SLED. That would be bad.
It may be that SLED notified Stone first, and then Stone recused. Stone's August 11 recusal letter:

"Considering the events of today in SLED's investigation of the homicides of Paul and Maggie Murdaugh, I am asking that you assume all prosecutorial functions in this matter effective immediately. By copy of this letter I am informing (SLED) Chief Mark Keel of my decision to recuse myself from prosecuting these cases."

https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/crime/article252074163.html

Agree, that seems to be a very unusual way of handling that situation. Maybe that's the way they do things down there. It also sounds like they were trying to get a lot of things done quickly so they could get ahead of the story before it blew up in the national news media.

One would think they would have notified LE when they first confirmed the money was missing and that AM took it. Just a thought, but I wonder if they found out about the embezzlement some time ago, but only recently acted on the information.

It may be that SLED notified Stone first, and then Stone recused. Stone's August 11 recusal letter:

"Considering the events of today in SLED's investigation of the homicides of Paul and Maggie Murdaugh, I am asking that you assume all prosecutorial functions in this matter effective immediately. By copy of this letter I am informing (SLED) Chief Mark Keel of my decision to recuse myself from prosecuting these cases."

https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/crime/article252074163.html

No, one of the articles said LE was notified at the scene of the car shooting.

If the allegation is true, when did he steal the money and where is the money now? If he's convicted of stealing, he would almost certainly be disbarred. JMO.
This is all my opinion based on other accounts of embezzlement that I’m aware of — I suspect this has been years in the making if they are talking about millions of dollars. Years. He may have felt entitled to it since his family founded the firm or he may have thought of it as a short term loan but then his big payday and ability to pay it back never came and he had to keep “borrowing” more.

Hypothetically speaking, how long does it take to “steal” millions? Was this prior to or because of the murders? It seems like a cause vs reaction debate, IMO. Someone like me would need a long timespan to embezzle money amounts outside of my lifestyle bracket but maybe a few months (?) if I live/spend like AM? Also, does he not have his own money from his job and 3 recent life insurance policies or are those in waiting bc COD in 2 was homicide?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks