SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Respectfully snipped by me for focus.

IMO, this type of bleak assessment of one's life is a almost a clichéd prelude to a mid-life crisis and a desire to find new motivation. I would say this might be exacerbated when facing the mortality of parents and ongoing parenting issues that perhaps one hoped would have been mostly resolved by now.

AM seems to travel easily to Columbia, Charleston and Savannah. I don't think finding a paramour would be an insurmountable challenge (though I don't know if he did). The amount of money available is relative, and he had enough to impress someone if he so wished. IMHO.

Well said. The name alone would have gotten him what he wanted. Look at Paul’s beautiful girlfriend.

Survivors of boat crash involving murdered SC man give DNA samples

Very significant. If the Murdaugh family had advantages in SC because of their wealth/power, those advantages may be gone.

I think this a good and, as you stated telling observation.

From the article, this is the provision of law that led to the suspension of his license:

Upon receipt of sufficient evidence demonstrating that a lawyer poses a substantial threat of serious harm to the public or to the administration of justice, the Supreme Court may place the lawyer on interim suspension...

As you stated, it is clear that the clan is no longer getting friendly reviews with pre determined out comes. AM maybe a substantial threat to bank accounts of the firm.

But, it seems to be a stretch to hold (based on available information) that he is a "substantial threat of serious harm to the public or to the administration of justice" give that it appears he embezzled company money, not client money and has not even been indicted yet.

Then again, maybe the rehab check in and the theft accusations tilted the balance? Even still, the very unfriendly review seems a little uhmm..... "focused".

Last edited:
I can't help but wonder if AM's father was helping keep him financially afloat. I suspect that AM was getting money to support his addiction from all resources. In the long run he was going to either end up in jail, dead of an overdose or rehabilitated - now he may be alive and facing two of the three.

Hmmm
Maybe the fathers impending death had MM having the audit done.

From the article, this is the provision of law that led to the suspension of his license:

Upon receipt of sufficient evidence demonstrating that a lawyer poses a substantial threat of serious harm to the public or to the administration of justice, the Supreme Court may place the lawyer on interim suspension...

As you stated, it is clear that the clan is no longer getting friendly reviews with pre determined out comes. AM maybe a substantial threat to bank accounts of the firm.

But, it seems to be a stretch to hold (based on available information) that he is a "substantial threat of serious harm to the public or to the administration of justice" give that it appears he embezzled company money, not client money and has not even been indicted yet.
I don't know that we have heard yet where he stole the money from. Was it from one of the firm's operating accounts, skimmed fees from clients, or was it from the trust account. The immediate suspension (with his consent) seems to tell me that it may well have been from the trust account. The bar/supreme court would want to immediately suspend him to protect clients.

I don't know that we have heard yet where he stole the money from. Was it from one of the firm's operating accounts, skimmed fees from clients, or was it from the trust account. The immediate suspension (with his consent) seems to tell me that it may well have been from the trust account. The bar/supreme court would want to immediately suspend him to protect clients.

Snipped

"Alex resigned after being accused of diverting lawyer fees from the firm,"

Attorney Whose Wife And Son Were Killed Was Stealing From His Law Firm, Company Says

Not knowing who the target was at the moselle property PM or MM or both. First thinking PM w/ his legal issues but now knowing what AM has been accused of doing the door is wide open.

I have a feeling the money was transferred over a period of time, knowing MM asked for forensic audit on the firm was probably not a secret. Maybe someone else was keeping tabs on the account.

Another thought is when one of the share holders? of the firm passes away is there a payout to family?

"I was shocked, just as the rest of my PMPED family, to learn of my brother, Alex’s, drug addiction and stealing of money. I love my law firm family and also love Alex as my brother. While I will support him in his recovery, I do not support, condone, or excuse his conduct in stealing by manipulating his most trusted relationships. I will continue to pursue my client’s interests with the highest degree of honesty and integrity, as I always have."

Randolph Murdaugh issues statement on events involving Alex Murdaugh

As EllyMae illustrated, it seems that he has been accused of taking part of the loot due other attorneys for handling the injury cases, not the client portion.

There could well be some kind of signed contract (thus a threat to "justice?). I am still thinking, however, that it is a stretch to say at this point he is a substantial threat to justice. This would be especially so if the Court has a prior practice of "wait and see" regarding the internal matters of law firms.

In short, the action is justifiable, but also appears to be focused. Maybe the Court is tired of the bad press?

"I was shocked, just as the rest of my PMPED family, to learn of my brother, Alex’s, drug addiction and stealing of money. I love my law firm family and also love Alex as my brother. While I will support him in his recovery, I do not support, condone, or excuse his conduct in stealing by manipulating his most trusted relationships. I will continue to pursue my client’s interests with the highest degree of honesty and integrity, as I always have."

And I am shocked, just shocked that no one in that law firm had any idea millions were being skimmed off, whether from diverted legal fees, client trust accounts, wherever.

IMO saying it was only from legal fees makes it an 'in house' theft, money only stolen from the other firm lawyers, but if it were client accounts that got robbed, it makes it much, much worse. I think we'll be finding out soonly just how much worse it was than initial statements from 'the firm'. Obviously SCSC thinks it looks mighty bad.

Moooo

I’m sick of every report in msm rehashing this family “dynasty” in the legal world as it gets redundant. But I do wonder if the fathers death prompted others in the firm to call out this money. It was probably dangerous to be critical of the big bosses son while he was still in charge.

Great point!

Timing is the key to this mystery.

We've all looked at the "timing" of everything in this case and now it appears it is playing itself out.

This case is all about the "timing" of events.

JMO

Last edited:

I know that some addicts hide it well,.are high functioning and it might be easier to disguise an opioid addiction as opposed to an say, alcoholic, for example, but as AM himself said in his statement, this has been a long battle. Also these brothers work together and appear to be very, very close. So it's hard to believe he had NO idea. Possible, but in this case I take every statement with a grain of salt.

Then again, maybe the rehab check in and the theft accusations tilted the balance? Even still, the very unfriendly review seems a little uhmm..... "focused".
I"m not sure I would trust this firm to differentiate between "firm" money and "client" money at this point.

Well done IMO of the SC Supreme court - amazing that the courts may act swiftly at times.
JMO

And I am shocked, just shocked that no one in that law firm had any idea millions were being skimmed off, whether from diverted legal fees, client trust accounts, wherever.

IMO saying it was only from legal fees makes it an 'in house' theft, money only stolen from the other firm lawyers, but if it were client accounts that got robbed, it makes it much, much worse. I think we'll be finding out soonly just how much worse it was than initial statements from 'the firm'. Obviously SCSC thinks it looks mighty bad.

Moooo

Oh I do think it's bigger than from just the firms millions. Imagine the ones he was "representing" and how they are feeling. I am assuming there is a law firm in SC that would take on a suit against PMPED to try and recover losses their client experienced. Wonder how that would work, a law suit against them individually and collectively? This is crazy town!

Oh I do think it's bigger than from just the firms millions. Imagine the ones he was "representing" and how they are feeling. I am assuming there is a law firm in SC that would take on a suit against PMPED to try and recover losses their client experienced. Wonder how that would work, a law suit against them individually and collectively? This is crazy town!

Isn’t there malpractice laws regarding attorneys? I don’t know but it seems like most victims of fraud are lucky to get pennies on the dollar if anything at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288