Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 #80 *arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gonna quote myself in regards to the DNA in the RR:

I believe that if there was a .22 caliber shell there should have been blood spatter analysis done... right? I would think and hope they would do that, also was there blood on the mattress? or any blood evidence found in the home? did they swab BM for gun powder residue? maybe they just didn't release all that to the public and are waiting for trial. I am just asking because I did not see anything like that reported

I believe that if there was a .22 caliber shell there should have been blood spatter analysis done... right? I would think and hope they would do that, also was there blood on the mattress? or any blood evidence found in the home? did they swab BM for gun powder residue? maybe they just didn't release all that to the public and are waiting for trial. I am just asking because I did not see anything like that reported

No blood evidence.

He disappeared her on Saturday and then washed everything in chlorine, by the time he even ran across LEOs there would be no gunshot residue. Also, the neighbors might have heard a gunshot and the Ritters would certainly have reported if they heard a gunshot.

I don't know if a dart makes the same pop as a .22 round... never really needed to tranq anyone.

What do you do with BM's acknowledgement that he knew SM was having an "emotional" affair?

Brainstorming thoughts: ... I think an "emotional" affair might go towards DV re. BM gaslighting SM and his increasing alleged episodes of narc-rage as he experiences his seeming loss of control of SM. BM senses things are different...

I'm recalling BM alleging that SM was no longer giving him the love/support she previously provided him. BM has acknowledged that SM was standing firm, becoming "ballsy," perhaps attributing her newfound strength to an outsider providing SM with "emotional" support.

I think it will be interesting if/how the state's qualified, expert witness introduces BM's behavior as he experiences his loss of control over SM. o_O

MOO

Yeah, I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm not at all sure that BM found out about the affair with JL until law enforcement told him. I think it's quite possible that he snapped just because Suzanne was talking about leaving him and then ignored him that afternoon.

Their texts in the few days before her disappearance have that weird duality to them. On the one hand she's telling him that she's done and he's threatening suicide. But then the next day or two it's texting about getting pizza and going on hikes. To me that's indicative of people trying to maintain the illusion of normality in their lives while the relationship is disintegrating and then occasionally hitting periods where they can't pretend anymore and all the feelings come out. I think it's quite possible that he was just set off by her not answering his calls, and then when he got home and saw she was there and had just been ignoring him, he went crazy.

The reason I'm not sure he knew about the affair with JL is that I can't quite imagine him sitting on that information for so long. I get that it provides him with a motive, so he might have wanted to conceal it. But it also makes it more likely that Suzanne would have left on her own and it provides another suspect. And most importantly, it makes Suzanne look bad. Given all his focus on her drinking and 'drug use' in his interviews with LE, I think he would been hard for him to resist labeling her a cheater as well if he knew it was true.

I agree. He was probably so puffed up about himself all the time ..how could she possibly do better?
This type of personality lives only in the present, immediate gratification and fuel.
I’m sure post SM missing he was forced to talk about their past and their possible plans for future to L.E.
Exhausting to this type of personality IMO..as they really don’t have love, empathy, plans in their persona except for themselves.
I feel so bad for the DDs. He will go down for the fight til the end , drag them with him.

MOO

LS says in the video (timestamp 32:07)

Barry called Suzanne 11 times at 2:26pm on Sat May 9th (in our timeline as the morning) and at 2:39pm JL texted SM "my gang is home" to which there was no response. I haven't finished watching yet to see if there are any other differences.

Post #722 by OldCop.
Thread #75

Barry Morphew murder case: DNA found in Suzanne Morphew's car matches partial samples from unsolved sex assaults

Investigators found a partial DNA sample in Suzanne's glovebox in her car of a male sexual predator that is wanted for sexual assaults in Arizona and Chicago, but the cross examiner did state it was very limited genetic data that matched to this person. The investigators stated that she was having a affair during the time she was missing I am curious as to who this person is that the DNA was linked too... was it the person she was seeing? if this case goes to trial against her husband Barry don't you think the jurors will find reasonable doubt? but while I am reading articles the investigators found a .22 caliber unset shell casing next to Suzanne's side of the bed and Barry had finger nail injuries under his arms, I think he is definitely guilty I just hope the jurors put him behind bars. I looked on the charley project and they haven't put her story on there she has been missing for over a year, I know she is presumed dead, but still is a no body homicide case. Are there still more active searches for her?

Most people don't know what a "partial" or "limited" match is.

And yes, at the last time we heard from LE, they said searches were ongoing. I believe they have searched some mine shafts more recently.

That DNA match is a big nothing burger.

That actually just strengthens my suspicion that he didn't know she was having an actual physical affair. If he was willing to admit to LE that she might have been having an emotional affair, why not go all the way and point the suspicion at JL? To me it sounds more like he didn't know for sure, and his ego was big enough that he didn't really believe Suzanne would have sex with someone else.

But I'm not at all 100% on any of this. The timing of her texting/potentially sending sexy photos to JL right before Barry got home and then never being heard from again does make discovery of the affair leading to murder a very real possibility.

I dunno....

But I definitely see a man that was told that the marriage was over (May 6), who I think went into 'recover the relationship' mode, doing what he's always done when SM brings up leaving, including the threat of suicide, days (three) of love bombing his wife, --and the ultimate for BM where he actually calls it a day and takes off work early-- all for SM to ignore and/or not acknowledge BM or his efforts!

IMO, I think BM would have been out of control at this point!

I think for the first time in more than 30 years, BM realized that SM was not backing down, and he could not change her mind.

Whatever happened at PP, I believe that BM is convinced that SM made him do this, and that she gave him no other choice.

MOO

Barry called Suzanne 11 times at 2:26pm on Sat May 9th (in our timeline as the morning) and at 2:39pm JL texted SM "my gang is home" to which there was no response. I haven't finished watching yet to see if there are any other differences.

Post #722 by OldCop.
Thread #75
Thank you !!

Post #722 by OldCop.
Thread #75
Brilliant and thank you @charminglane. I definitely needed that 32:07 timestamp! :oops:

Post #722 by OldCop.
Thread #75
So if JL texted "my gang is home" at or around 2:39pm, and IIRC there was no more communication from him after that, then we know SM wasn't actively communicating with him when BM arrived a few minutes later. A scant few minutes later, so she might have still been in the same room/state of dress etc as she was when JL was still connected, but it seems we can rule out BM "walking in on" them still interacting. MOO

Yeah, I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm not at all sure that BM found out about the affair with JL until law enforcement told him. I think it's quite possible that he snapped just because Suzanne was talking about leaving him and then ignored him that afternoon.

Their texts in the few days before her disappearance have that weird duality to them. On the one hand she's telling him that she's done and he's threatening suicide. But then the next day or two it's texting about getting pizza and going on hikes. To me that's indicative of people trying to maintain the illusion of normality in their lives while the relationship is disintegrating and then occasionally hitting periods where they can't pretend anymore and all the feelings come out. I think it's quite possible that he was just set off by her not answering his calls, and then when he got home and saw she was there and had just been ignoring him, he went crazy.

The reason I'm not sure he knew about the affair with JL is that I can't quite imagine him sitting on that information for so long. I get that it provides him with a motive, so he might have wanted to conceal it. But it also makes it more likely that Suzanne would have left on her own and it provides another suspect. And most importantly, it makes Suzanne look bad. Given all his focus on her drinking and 'drug use' in his interviews with LE, I think he would been hard for him to resist labeling her a cheater as well if he knew it was true.

For the record, I am in the minority with you.

Most people don't know what a "partial" or "limited" match is.

And yes, at the last time we heard from LE, they said searches were ongoing. I believe they have searched some mine shafts more recently.

That DNA match is a big nothing burger.

unfortunetly this doesn't seem like a strong DNA case overall or even evidence case, you always hope for the bad guys to slip up and make a mistake

No blood evidence.

He disappeared her on Saturday and then washed everything in chlorine, by the time he even ran across LEOs there would be no gunshot residue. Also, the neighbors might have heard a gunshot and the Ritters would certainly have reported if they heard a gunshot.

I don't know if a dart makes the same pop as a .22 round... never really needed to tranq anyone.

I also read that the tranqualizer was found to be faulty/not working properly, I read that in one of the news articles. Was he like an outdoorsmen or something? why would someone need a tranquilizer unless you are like ace Ventura pet detective? I honestly think I need to read more on this case to really understand what happened I truly only read a couple articles today after seeing it here first

As I understand it, the searches swept along HWY 50 from Poncha Springs toward Monarch, so we can probably rule out anything down in the valley.

The messed up part is, it's virtually impossible to search where I think she is up on Pahlone.

Is that the peak that can be seen from the ridge where Barry collapsed, during the search with AM?

Surely...someone has gone up there? If she were placed there, though, within 10-14 days, I think wildlife would have scattered the remains. This is along the lines I'm thinking as well - I don't know exactly where, but a kind of sky burial makes sense to me (and if she is ever found, or any part of her is found, it will have little to no forensic value, as planned by BM).

I also read that the tranqualizer was found to be faulty/not working properly, I read that in one of the news articles. Was he like an outdoorsmen or something? why would someone need a tranquilizer unless you are like ace Ventura pet detective? I honestly think I need to read more on this case to really understand what happened I truly only read a couple articles today after seeing it here first

Just the gun wasn't working. The hypodermic needle in the dart can be used without a gun.

Barry owned (owns?) a deer farm in Indiana. Indiana okayed such farms in 2016, I believe. He is on the list of founders of this new type of business (where people go capture deer by. tranq gun, move them to a fenced area and then collect a fee from hunters who like canned hunting - or. shoot the deer themselves, turning them into venison products),

And deer farm owners, among others, typical get these darts from veterinary supply.

I just did my laundry, and checked the lint trap of my dryer when I was done. Amazingly, I didn’t find a syringe cap in there.

It’s probably because there’s absolutely no reason for one to be there in the first place.

Kinda like Barry.

Did you wash any of your socks @MassGuy? I hope so.

Sorry, i could not resist. PERFECT set-up for this question... :D

Back on topic... How are we feeling about next week?

Yes, he had been hunting, trapping and fishing his entire life, since he was a child. He also raised deer at one time for the purpose of releasing them in order to be "hunted" in a contained area.

That actually just strengthens my suspicion that he didn't know she was having an actual physical affair. If he was willing to admit to LE that she might have been having an emotional affair, why not go all the way and point the suspicion at JL? To me it sounds more like he didn't know for sure, and his ego was big enough that he didn't really believe Suzanne would have sex with someone else.

But I'm not at all 100% on any of this. The timing of her texting/potentially sending sexy photos to JL right before Barry got home and then never being heard from again does make discovery of the affair leading to murder a very real possibility.
I think BM knew she was having an affair. He just didn’t know who it was with. I think it was driving him crazy. He said it was emotional because he absolutely could not stand the thought of another man touching her. MOO

I dunno....

But I definitely see a man that was told that the marriage was over (May 6), who I think went into 'recover the relationship' mode, doing what he's always done when SM brings up leaving, including the threat of suicide, days (three) of love bombing his wife, --and the ultimate for BM where he actually calls it a day and takes off work early-- all for SM to ignore and/or not acknowledge BM or his efforts!

IMO, I think BM would have been out of control at this point!

I think for the first time in more than 30 years, BM realized that SM was not backing down, and he could not change her mind.

Whatever happened at PP, I believe that BM is convinced that SM made him do this, and that she gave him no other choice.

MOO
Agree. Whether concious or not, if he believed marriage was for life:
1. He could do what he wanted and the marriage would always be there.
2. If wife thinks she can leave, she has to be stopped.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member