Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #100

Status
Not open for further replies.
President Biden is planning to call for a global summit to respond to the coronavirus crisis and boost vaccine supply to the developing world, said three people who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss the pending announcement.

The summit would be held during the United Nations General Assembly meetings the week of Sept. 20. Topics would include coordination among leaders worldwide to collectively tackle the health crisis and address inequities, including the vaccination lags in developing countries.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/09/08/covid-delta-variant-live-updates/

oh is that him in the hospital? taking up a bed? and he's allowed to stay there without masking? why? kick him out

Jimmy Kimmel stopped laughing when he reflected on Labor Day weekend in which coronavirus cases were up by about 300 percent compared with the same time last year, when there wasn’t a vaccine.

After noting how Anthony S. Fauci, the chief medical adviser to President Biden, warned that some hospitals might be forced to make “tough choices” on who gets a bed in the intensive care unit ..... “That choice doesn’t seem so tough to me,” Kimmel said. “Vaccinated person having a heart attack? Yes, come right in, we’ll take care of you. Unvaccinated guy who gobbled horse goo? Rest in peace, wheezy.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts...mmy-kimmel-hospitals-unvaccinated-ivermectin/

And SCIENCE supports masks.

The science supports that face coverings are saving lives during the coronavirus pandemic, and yet the debate trundles on. How much evidence is enough?

To be clear, the science supports using masks, with recent studies suggesting that they could save lives in different ways: research shows that they cut down the chances of both transmitting and catching the coronavirus, and some studies hint that masks might reduce the severity of infection if people do contract the disease.

Face masks: what the data say

We have a sign on the outside of the door that says masks are required. But most patients walk in maskless. Even those who have had positive COVID tests! We of course hand them a mask right away. If they refuse to put it on we do not see them and they need to leave the clinic.

My Dr's office has never lifted the locked door, call a number, and they will let you in when they can. You have to wear a mask ever since last March. I received a letter saying I had to have many booster shots, for example Rubella. So I go in October for the yearly checkup and guess I'll just get it all. Definitely the flu and I want the Shingles jab also since turning 61. I wonder if I can get all these boosters plus a possible vaccine booster?

Now, the WHO is asking that boosters be pushed back to the end of the year at least. I sure hope that doesn't happen. I get it that we need to supply shots to third-world nations, I'm ashamed we're behind on that, but we all want to be safe as well.

Can't we do both?

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/09/08/who...-booster-doses-until-the-end-of-the-year.html

Biden Announces COVID Vaccine Booster Shots for All Americans

Yes. We can do both. "We can take care of America and help the world at the same time," Biden said.

We are not only giving boosters to our population but donating a ton of vaccine around the world. That doesn't get headlines so put on page 4.

Biden acknowledged the criticism that the U.S. is turning a blind eye to the fact that many around the world still have not received even a single dose.

"I know there's some world leaders who say America shouldn't get a third shot until other countries get their first shot. I disagree," Biden said.

"We can take care of America and help the world at the same time. In June and July, America administered 50 million shots here in the United States. And we donated 100 million shots to other countries. That means that America has donated more vaccines to other countries than every other country in the world combined."

Last edited:
My Dr's office has never lifted the locked door, call a number, and they will let you in when they can. You have to wear a mask ever since last March. I received a letter saying I had to have many booster shots, for example Rubella. So I go in October for the yearly checkup and guess I'll just get it all. Definitely the flu and I want the Shingles jab also since turning 61. I wonder if I can get all these boosters plus a possible vaccine booster?

My dad was told not to get the Shingles shot around the same time as the Covid shot but now he is told it's OK. So I would talk to your Dr. and do some research on this. After all, your Dr. relies on the same research, right?

My dad was told not to get the Shingles shot around the same time as the Covid shot but now he is told it's OK. So I would talk to your Dr. and do some research on this. After all, your Dr. relies on the same research, right?

Thank you for the information. I trust my Dr and think I'll span them out over time, most important first.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/09/08/uni...cine-mandate-will-be-put-on-unpaid-leave.html

United Airlines’ employees who are granted exemptions to a company vaccinate mandate for religious reasons will be put on temporary unpaid leave starting next month, the airline told staff Wednesday, citing the recent rise in Covid cases.
Staff who are given medical exemptions for not getting the vaccine will be put on temporary medical leave.

So what good are medical and religious exemptions if companies can still stop you from working? I thought the exemptions were to keep you working on your own terms?

Last edited:
So what good are medical and religious exemptions if companies can still stop you from working? I thought the exemptions were to keep you working on your own terms?
Religious exemptions became useless to those stubborn unvaccinated workers. United Airlines says, uh uh, we ain't paying you if you don't get vaccinated. So they can stay home, believe in their religion and get unpaid.

Huge randomised study in Bangladesh of over 340,000 people show masks work:

Large Study Confirms Masks Work to Limit COVID-19 Spread

What the Mayo clinic has to say:

Can face masks protect against coronavirus?

An evidence review of face mask against COVID-19 published by the PNAS (Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences)

https://www.pnas.org/content/118/4/e2014564118

The preponderance of evidence indicates that mask wearing reduces transmissibility per contact by reducing transmission of infected respiratory particles in both laboratory and clinical contexts. Public mask wearing is most effective at reducing spread of the virus when compliance is high.

Conclusion for those who don't want to read the whole paper:

Conclusion
Our review of the literature offers evidence in favor of widespread mask use as source control to reduce community transmission: Nonmedical masks use materials that obstruct particles of the necessary size; people are most infectious in the initial period postinfection, where it is common to have few or no symptoms (45, 46, 141); nonmedical masks have been effective in reducing transmission of respiratory viruses; and places and time periods where mask usage is required or widespread have shown substantially lower community transmission.

The available evidence suggests that near-universal adoption of nonmedical masks when out in public, in combination with complementary public health measures, could successfully reduce Re" role="presentation" style="-webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased; box-sizing: border-box; display: inline; line-height: normal; word-spacing: normal; overflow-wrap: normal; white-space: nowrap; float: none; direction: ltr; max-width: none; max-height: none; min-width: 0px; min-height: 0px; border: 0px; padding: 0px; margin: 0px; position: relative;">ReRe to below 1, thereby reducing community spread if such measures are sustained. Economic analysis suggests that mask wearing mandates could add 1 trillion dollars to the US GDP (32, 34).

Models suggest that public mask wearing is most effective at reducing spread of the virus when compliance is high (39). We recommend that mask use requirements are implemented by governments, or, when governments do not, by organizations that provide public-facing services. Such mandates must be accompanied by measures to ensure access to masks, possibly including distribution and rationing mechanisms so that they do not become discriminatory. Given the value of the source control principle, especially for presymptomatic people, it is not sufficient for only employees to wear masks; customers must wear masks as well.

It is also important for health authorities to provide clear guidelines for the production, use, and sanitization or reuse of face masks, and consider their distribution as shortages allow. Clear and implementable guidelines can help increase compliance, and bring communities closer to the goal of reducing and ultimately stopping the spread of COVID-19.

When used in conjunction with widespread testing, contact tracing, quarantining of anyone that may be infected, hand washing, and physical distancing, face masks are a valuable tool to reduce community transmission. All of these measures, through their effect on Re" role="presentation" style="-webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased; box-sizing: border-box; display: inline; line-height: normal; word-spacing: normal; overflow-wrap: normal; white-space: nowrap; float: none; direction: ltr; max-width: none; max-height: none; min-width: 0px; min-height: 0px; border: 0px; padding: 0px; margin: 0px; position: relative;">ReRe, have the potential to reduce the number of infections. As governments exit lockdowns, keeping transmissions low enough to preserve health care capacity will be critical until a vaccine can be developed.

From the CDC:
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

At least ten studies have confirmed the benefit of universal masking in community level analyses: in a unified hospital system,42 a German city,43 two U.S. states,44, 45 a panel of 15 U.S. states and Washington, D.C.,46, 47 as well as both Canada48 and the U.S. 49-51 nationally. Each analysis demonstrated that, following directives from organizational and political leadership for universal masking, new infections fell significantly. Two of these studies46, 47 and an additional analysis of data from 200 countries that included the U.S.51 also demonstrated reductions in mortality. Another 10-site study showed reductions in hospitalization growth rates following mask mandate implementation 49. A separate series of cross-sectional surveys in the U.S. suggested that a 10% increase in self-reported mask wearing tripled the likelihood of stopping community transmission.53 An economic analysis using U.S. data found that, given these effects, increasing universal masking by 15% could prevent the need for lockdowns and reduce associated losses of up to $1 trillion or about 5% of gross domestic product.47

The current scientific consensus is that wearing masks, along with other measures such as social distancing/hygiene etc. does help reduce the spread of COVID-19.

That's the science.

But I am sure that the goalposts will keep on being moved by anti-maskers, anti-vaxxers and COVID deniers. Just like when the "FDA hasn't approved it yet" excuse was removed from equation.

Religious exemptions became useless to those stubborn unvaccinated workers. United Airlines says, uh uh, we ain't paying you if you don't get vaccinated. So they can stay home, believe in their religion and get unpaid.

I am surprised and pleased at the same time that companies can do this, side-line religious exemptions. Mamma Mia live and learn.

Can't agree with side-lining health exemptions though. Not your fault if you have an allergic reaction etc...

Yup! Or the variants have more chance running through lesser vaxed populations.
Additionally, front liners around the world, health workers haven’t even gotten their first doses yet and they’re treating patients.

Not only is this a moral issue, it’s a epidemiological issue wrt variants, etc. as we know.

Can we do both? Supply ourselves AND the world? The US has donated (insert sum, can’t remember off the top of my head) more than any country in the world, more than countries combined. Fauci says we can do both, donate vaccines and take care of US. But Dr. Bruce and others who are working the vaccine distribution via COVAX and say there IS a supply issue. If Doc T and Dr. Mike and Dr. Maria and all of them say this is what needs to be done, then I take whatever they say 100 percent, jmo. This is an abbreviated mechanical post.

Eta: Very excited about the Pandemic Preparedness Center WHO has set up with Merkel and others, more on this later.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member