Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 #81 *arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mysti88c

Reaction score
A Chaffee County woman is missing after a neighbor said she went out for a bike ride Sunday and never returned
Chaffee County woman missing since Sunday after neighbor said she went out for bike ride

List of Case Players and Their Relationship to Discussion (Post #440)

————————————-
MEDIA, MAPS & TIMELINE *NO DISCUSSION*
Detailed timeline of events in the Morphew case:
CO - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 , MEDIA, MAPS &TIMELINE *NO DISCUSSION*

—————————————
Suzanne Morphew Case Archive (developed and maintained by WS member AmandaReckonwith)
—————————————
Hearing Notes (Compliments of @NoSI)
Preliminary:
Day 1

————————————-
Suzanne Morphew FB page
Suzanne Morphew Twitter page

Verified Experts/Professionals/Insiders posting in this thread:

10ofRods is a Verified Anthropologist
Angleterre is a Verified LE from England
riolove77 is a Verified Attorney (prosecutor)
Alethea is a Verified Attorney (defense)
otto is a Verified Expert
Chomsky is a Verified Attorney
angelainwi is a Certified Trauma Counselor
gitana1 is a Verified Attorney
Cassidy is a Verified Attorney
lamlawindy is a Verified Attorney (former Prosecutor, now Defence)
NatureLover (Verified friend of the Moorman family)

Thread #41 Thread #42 Thread #43 Thread #44 Thread #45 Thread #46 Thread #47 Thread #48 Thread #49 Thread #50 Thread #51 Thread #52 Thread #53 Thread #54 Thread #55 Thread #56 Thread #57 Thread #58 Thread #59 Thread #60 Thread #61 Thread #62 Thread #63 Thread #64
Thread #65 Thread #66 Thread #67 Thread #68 Thread #69 Thread #70
Thread #71 Thread #72 Thread #73 Thread #74 Thread #75 Thread #76
Thread #77 Thread #78 Thread #79 Thread #80

Last edited by a moderator:
Please continue discussion here in accordance with The Rules:

Quick rundown of reminders from prior threads:

Rumors are not allowed.

Barry Morphew has been charged with Suzanne's murder and he and his businesses are open to sleuthing.

Do not sleuth or make accusations against anyone who is not an officially named POI/suspect.

If an approved source discusses rumors or family members, it is still NOT allowed to do so at Websleuths. WS has different standards.

Preview your posts to avoid broken quotes.

Lengthy personal anecdotes are off topic. Stay on topic.

Discuss the case and not each other; state your opinion and move one without arguing or bickering.

Random youtube videos or blogs are not allowed unless approval is given by Tricia or Admin.

Approved sources are MSM, LE, Profiling Evil podcast, Lauren Scharf podcast or social media, Investigation Discovery, Crimeonline, Tyson Draper (only the interview with Barry Morphew), public documents.

Do not discuss removed posts or question/challenge moderation on the thread. Doing so is subject to an automatic Time Out.

Mod Reminder - Plunder Court Transcript Episodes

The Transcripts from the Preliminary Hearing being shared by Plunder have been approved. This approval only applies to the Plunder episodes specific to the court transcripts. The transcripts shared across the episodes may not be copied and posted in entirety to WS as a single document or post replicating the documents that the content creator purchased.

Red Flags
Responding to post by @Bluebythec

Wish we had a transcript of what Jeanne Ritter said when she called the non-emergency line to report SM missing. Ever since we heard they had a 2-hour coffee klatch on May 6, I have wondered if the Ritters have LE protection. "I'm done & I don't care" msg to BM the same day then suddenly SM is missing?

The minute LE found the missing dart. It has to be filled carefully with a drug. It has to be loaded, aimed & fired from a weapon. The defendant admits using such a weapon on the day and near the time of her last communication. The syringe cap was the ultimate smoking gun for me.

MOO

Red Flags

Wish we had a transcript of what Jeanne Ritter said when she called the non-emergency line to report SM missing. Ever since we heard they had a 2-hour coffee klatch on May 6, I have wondered if the Ritters have LE protection. "I'm done & I don't care" msg to BM the same day then suddenly SM is missing?

The minute LE found the missing dart. It has to be filled carefully with a drug. It has to be loaded, aimed & fired from a weapon. The defendant admits using such a weapon on the day and near the time of her last communication. The syringe cap was the ultimate smoking gun for me.

MOO

Yeah, a two hour chat seems like more than casual friends. I wonder how much SM confided in her and what she told LE when they first talked to her?

Red Flags

MOO
Think you nailed it IRBHTX. Jeanne Ritter, plus a locked front tire.(L/E we're done, next? ) Just not on board with the dart business here, that's me. The cap was crazy Barry to me, could have been anytime in the last few months for a myriad of Barry reasons.

Think you nailed it IRBHTX. Jeanne Ritter, plus a locked front tire.(L/E we're done, next? ) Just not on board with the dart business here, that's me. The cap was crazy Barry to me, could have been anytime in the last few months for a myriad of Barry reasons.
Being that the shorts he was wearing on May 9 were in the dryer (with the syringe cap), the .22 live round found in the bedroom (in order to insert the dart) and the bs story about shooting the hoards of chipmunks, for me that ties them all together.
IMO

Being that the shorts he was wearing on May 9 were in the dryer (with the syringe cap), the .22 live round found in the bedroom (in order to insert the dart) and the bs story about shooting the hoards of chipmunks, for me that ties them all together.
IMO
He could've knocked her out and then got the dart. I've been knocked out with one punch. Took me five minutes to come to with the help of others - in a public place. If it were in private, could've taken longer.
Just saying that this could've happened in a few stages.

Just a reminder to be respectful of witnesses and not broadcast their full names in WS posts.

I don't believe that the non-emergency contact by JR to CCSO would reveal much because LE reportedly responded quickly to Maysville to take a report from the neighbor.

Members of the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office responded to the area of C.R. 225 and U.S. 50 in Maysville and contacted the reporting party who told them Morphew had reportedly gone for a bike ride in the area and failed to return home.

Maysville woman missing

CO. Victims’Rights: “Being heard” & “Right to consult prosecution”
Wouldn't SM's family have to agree to a plea deal too? Or at least have a say so about it?
@Quiet Time My apologies to you and to others who posted on this subject and for my part in any confusion.*
There is “the law as it’s written,” but at other times there is “the law the way the system operates in real life” w a gap between the two. Below are excerpts from CO VRA. My answers are the same as I posted before, but w applicable sections following them to help clarify. Note that this language is effective as of Sept 7, 2021.

Q1: Wouldn't SM's family have to agree to a plea deal too?
A1: “Agree”? Imo, no (altho victims may speak for or against it in court, per CO VRA below) because ---
Rights afforded to victims – definitions**
(d) The right to
be heard at any court proceeding:
(II) At which the court accepts a plea of nolo contendere;
(III) At which the court accepts a negotiated plea agreement;
(IV) At which a person accused or convicted of a crime against the victim is sentenced
or resentenced…bbm

Q2: Or at least have a say so about it?
A2. "Have a say"? Imo, yes by victims consulting w prosecutor, because ---
“(e) The right to consult with the prosecution
after any crime against the victim has been charged, prior to any disposition of the case, or prior to any trial of the case, and the right to be informed of the final disposition of the case; … bbm

Answer to which family members are afforded these rights may not be quite so straightforward, but I repeat, imo, both daughters & SM’s siblings are victims under CO VRA. My2ct.

Last edited:
CO. Victims’Rights: “Being heard” & “Right to consult prosecution”
@Quiet Time My apologies to you and to others who posted on this subject and for my part in any confusion.*
There is “the law as it’s written,” but at other times there is “the law the way the system operates in real life” w a gap between the two. Below are excerpts from CO VRA. My answers are the same as I posted before, but w applicable sections following them to help clarify. Note that this language is effective as of Sept 7, 2021.

Q1: Wouldn't SM's family have to agree to a plea deal too?
A1: “Agree”? Imo, no (altho victims may speak for or against it in court, per CO VRA below) because ---
(d) The right to
be heard at any court proceeding:
(II) At which the court accepts a plea of nolo contendere;
(III) At which the court accepts a negotiated plea agreement;
(IV) At which a person accused or convicted of a crime against the victim is sentenced
or resentenced…bbm

Q2: Or at least have a say so about it?
A2. "Have a say"? Imo, yes by victims consulting w prosecutor, because ---
“(e) The right to consult with the prosecution
after any crime against the victim has been charged, prior to any disposition of the case, or prior to any trial of the case, and the right to be informed of the final disposition of the case; … bbm

Answer to which family members are afforded these rights may not be quite so straightforward, but I repeat, imo, both daughters & SM’s siblings are victims under CO VRA. My2ct.
From what I understand, victims (Morphew daughters AND all of the Moormans) would have a say with the prosecutors but due to whatever is presented at trial, might be persuaded. I highly doubt it will come to that.
IF this goes to trial, and I'll bet my life it does, when the witnesses testify it will be a slam dunk.
IMO

BM's Statements?
Bringing over from last thread, a post (895) by @RIPRM: "SBM I believe the ATM comment was not literal, regardless of whether she actually had an ATM card. He meant he provided whatever she needed. 1) If it was literally true it doesn't make sense to admit so. 2) Suzanne had the wherewithal to fund two separate "secret" bank accounts. 3) It seems like Suzanne was the bookkeeper for the landscape business. 4) In what world in 2020 does a person operate solely on cash? A literal interpretation doesn't make any sense unless the whole point or such interpretation is to paint Barry in the worst light possible. IMO"@RIPRM bbm

While being interviewed re missing spouse, who would make a joke to :eek: yuck it up w LEOs? Oh Barry, that was a real knee-slapper.:rolleyes:

And therein lies the rub --- many of BM's stmts do not make any sense and they paint him in worst light possible.

BM as ATM. Literally?
Bringing over from last thread, a post (895) by @RIPRM: "SBM I believe the ATM comment was not literal, regardless of whether she actually had an ATM card. He meant he provided whatever she needed. 1) If it was literally true it doesn't make sense to admit so. 2) Suzanne had the wherewithal to fund two separate "secret" bank accounts. 3) It seems like Suzanne was the bookkeeper for the landscape business. 4) In what world in 2020 does a person operate solely on cash? A literal interpretation doesn't make any sense unless the whole point or such interpretation is to paint Barry in the worst light possible. IMO"@RIPRM bbm

While being interviewed re missing spouse, who would make a joke to :eek: yuck it up w LEOs? Oh Barry, that was a real knee-slapper.:rolleyes:

And therein lies the rub --- many of BM's stmts do not make any sense and they paint him in worst light possible.
Agree. His "keep the wife happy" and that he was her "ATM" are details of his frame of mind regarding Suzanne, and his failure to see that when she told him he was absent too much it was serious.
MOO He lost her in September of 2018 when he joined the VFF after she and he went around and around about her asking him to be home more.
She was probably never going to be able to get away alive.

From what I understand, victims (Morphew daughters AND all of the Moormans) would have a say with the prosecutors but due to whatever is presented at trial, might be persuaded. I highly doubt it will come to that.
IF this goes to trial, and I'll bet my life it does, when the witnesses testify it will be a slam dunk.
IMO
Good resources at the link below without the clutter:

https://www.criminal-lawyer-colorad...ms-under-the-colorado-victims-rights-act.html

Colorado Victim’s Rights And The Filing of Charges

Whether the District Attorney files charges and what charges are filed does NOT fall under the purview of the Victim Rights Act. 24-4.1-302 CRS

Colorado Victim’s Rights and Plea Offers – Victim’s To Contol – Plea Bargaining

A victim of a “VRA crime” ( see list of VRA crimes below) does have the right to be “consulted” about a proposed plea prior to the disposition of the case. But the District Attorney has the final discretion in making the decision to make the plea offer to the defendant that he or she determines is appropriate given the facts and evidence of the case and the relevant law.

Just a reminder to be respectful of witnesses and not broadcast their full names in WS posts.

I don't believe that the non-emergency contact by JR to CCSO would reveal much because LE reportedly responded quickly to Maysville to take a report from the neighbor.

wMaysville woman missing
It was mentioned earlier about the coffee on May 6...2 hours....must have been plenty to talk about. Now, 4 days later, the same neighbor is reporting SM missing? This, IMO, is the reason LE immediately zeroed in on BM. There must be inside baseball revealed by the neighbor to LE. This missing person's case was homegrown from the gitgo.

I read the Plunder transcript. I was going to copy and paste the words/time stamp but I am unsure if that’s okay. Starts at around 18:20.

JR & Suzanne had coffee on Tuesday, and Suzanne said she would be busy with Barry’s books the rest of the week. Suzanne basically said not to come by. Did Suzanne do that much billing for Barry? Was she just giving herself free time, or did she worry about how Barry would be without kids at home? Did she have a lot of extra stuff for Barry because they had reached a juncture of some sort? That whole week feels off in some way-what is said vs. what is done.

Just seems like that week, at least several days, leading up to 5/9 was culminating....a critical mass was developing....and it appears both sides, BM and SM, knew it from opposite sides. Planning was going on by both...ironically, to end the marriage. The one thing that was irreconcileable, imo, is the difference of outlook on divorce. Suzanne could no longer live with this guy....and BM, imo, was not so much afraid of divorce as he was the process of divorce. Its the process that would have taken his power away; if not exposed matters he wanted to remain secret. Barry was not about to put himself in a position where terms would be dictated to him. Also....I think Barry knew more about Suzanne's affair than he has admitted to. The reason I think he didn't over-react, or tip his hand was because that problem would take care of itself at the end of the day.

Just seems like that week, at least several days, leading up to 5/9 was culminating....a critical mass was developing....and it appears both sides, BM and SM, knew it from opposite sides. Planning was going on by both...ironically, to end the marriage. The one thing that was irreconcileable, imo, is the difference of outlook on divorce. Suzanne could no longer live with this guy....and BM, imo, was not so much afraid of divorce as he was the process of divorce. Its the process that would have taken his power away; if not exposed matters he wanted to remain secret. Barry was not about to put himself in a position where terms would be dictated to him. Also....I think Barry knew more about Suzanne's affair than he has admitted to. The reason I think he didn't over-react, or tip his hand was because that problem would take care of itself at the end of the day.

I believe he knew about the affair, too, even if had found out about it recent to her disappearance. He knew.

The only thing that makes me have doubts about him knowing about it is that he maintained so much self-control for the last year+, in that he didn't (want to) murder Jeff, too, and didn't blab about it when he was raging.

We've seen and heard instances of Barry losing control. How and why didn't he lose control about JL? Or maybe he did.

Maybe JL was the final straw. Perhaps he suspected (through spying on her) that SM was having an affair, and he learned who it was that fateful weekend. On the other hand, his life aka his freedom was at stake if he ever admitted to knowing about the affair. No other way about it, that is a huge motive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288