Australia Australia - Theo Hayez, 18, Belgian backpacker, Byron Bay, 31 May 2019 #4

I am very sure this area (pictured below, on Daily Mail) had been searched by volunteers last year. And unlikely to miss an entire skeleton.

30783630-8524521-image-a-43_1594797631267.jpg

Does anyone know where Theas camp was where her body was found? Was it up near cosy corner or further back south beyond the car park where he came out onto the beach from the scrub. Also remember where they came out of the scrub there was an abandoned camp.

My guessimate is here as roughly marked in my map below. The red location pin is where I guess is the white building in the Daily Mail photo - apparently the slope to the left was roped off by police.

I was walking right along the path behind that building in Aug 2019. There was no sign of skeletal remains at the time...

MOO and I welcome someone to provide more accurate info!

Attachments

• iMarkup_20210909_214702.jpg
    iMarkup_20210909_214702.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 28
Maybe he also wanted to save his phone's battery.
Turning off GPS, Bluetooth, NFC, Wi-Fi and mobile data is recommended to save battery. Turning off location data, or changing location settings to use 3G / 4G data (or even Wifi data) rather than GPS works perfectly fine.

Maybe he also wanted to save his phone's battery.
Turning off GPS, Bluetooth, NFC, Wi-Fi and mobile data is recommended to save battery. Turning off location data, or changing location settings to use 3G / 4G data (or even Wifi data) rather than GPS works perfectly fine.

Yeah fair point.

Also the lack of wifi handshakes on the walk to the beach supports he is alone

How do we know for sure if it was Theo with his phone after a certain point. If he had his phone unlocked and the Belgium show was saved in his favourites even this could be a red herring if not him in control of the phone. The Whats App message to his family member seems the only thing pointing it was him up until that stage. As another sleuth pointed out, the dropped hat could have been two people moving his body and his hat could have fallen off in the process.

I think the responses on Whats App were very terse and could have been written by anyone.

Just for some perspective, the arrows point to where I was standing (the red one is where I was and the yellow one Is where a warning sign was not to climb the rocks).

look how big and nasty that hill is! That’s apparently the hill Theo climbed to get to the light house and fell to his death into the ocean..... in winter, at 1 am, not much moon (if I remember correctly)......really?
Are they saying that GPS places him on that hill. I cannot imagine he was alone that night. Could someone else have fallen into the water and Theo perhaps lost his way in a panic to get help. If a homeless person was with him a drifters disappearence may not even be noticed.

This makes sense, until there is more solid evidence of other people involved this would seem the most plausible.

I also think there are two types of people who would try and venture around the lighthouse to get back to byron main beach.

1. The incredibly experienced fisherman/surfer kind of person who grew up there and can swim 100m freestyle quicker than many run it.

or

2. The incredibly naive person who has no idea how difficult it is.

Category 2 would be Theo and google maps does not help one to appreciate the steepness of the cliffs.

My guessimate is here as roughly marked in my map below. The red location pin is where I guess is the white building in the Daily Mail photo - apparently the slope to the left was roped off by police.

I was walking right along the path behind that building in Aug 2019. There was no sign of skeletal remains at the time...

MOO and I welcome someone to provide more accurate info!
Can you get to that location from the cosy corner trial? I’m sure I saw goat tracks going up that way? Or can you only access it from the top area?

Can you get to that location from the cosy corner trial? I’m sure I saw goat tracks going up that way? Or can you only access it from the top area?
Funny you should mention goats, cannot get the silliest thought from my mind that one could create a false GPS trail, by attaching a phone to a dog's collar and then taking/sending him for a long walk.
speculation, imo.

Funny you should mention goats, cannot get the silliest thought from my mind that one could create a false GPS trail, by attaching a phone to a dog's collar and then taking/sending him for a long walk.
speculation, imo.
Dotr, an out of the box theory, his phone tied to a dog or a goat. Now wouldn't that be a twist in the whole disappearence.

So Theo goes down the fire trail at around 7.5 kms an hour. This is is the fastest point of the journey. It had been said Theo walks at almost 6kms an hour once getting onto tallow beach and continues to cosy corner.

I haven’t been able to ascertain or remember how fast he travelled through the dense scrub from the fire trail to tallow beach...

Thanks to the under investigation show and a bit of freeze framing I finally found it.

He travels 560 meters through dense scrub at a pace of 4.06kms an hour. Quite a deal slower than 7.5km or even 6km and hour..

but honestly I reckon I travelled slower when I walked through that exact path over 2 years ago, and I went during the day with another person! we almost got lost and had to stop for a few minutes to get our baring and fins a way out (that’s when we stumbled across what I believe was Tommy’s camp).

Going 4.06kms an hour through that dense *advertiser censored*, after midnight when there was little or no moon that night makes no sense if he was going alone.

Attachments

• BFCEC5B7-5A22-4C04-B245-E744C73595CB.png
    BFCEC5B7-5A22-4C04-B245-E744C73595CB.png
    322.8 KB · Views: 22
This further shows the winding path Theo took in that scrub. I remember way back this was thought to be because someone was trying to avoid Tommy’s camp?

ken gamble mentions on the special they go this way cos it’s a short cut. But from the gps data it doesn’t appear to be a short cut, as they wind and almost go south to then go north if that makes sense?

at the crossroads, where he waits and checks for WU, why not go left and out onto tallow beach road and continue down the road to cosy corner car park? I’m sure that would have been quicker?

Attachments

• 06F781F6-6E54-4D43-BA09-B1543D53E5AB.jpeg
    06F781F6-6E54-4D43-BA09-B1543D53E5AB.jpeg
    28.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Excuse the crude illustrations but I just wanted to highlight this. In red is his ‘’kinda’ actual gps path, his right turn. The yellow is if he followed the path going straight to the car park, and the blue is if he walked the 50 yards out onto tallow beach road......again not exactly a short cut right?

remember where he comes out onto tallow beach there was an abandoned camp they mention on the podcast? Might be nothing, but could be something

Attachments

• 2D036F0F-F0CA-433A-8FF2-FE8879B0818E.jpeg
    2D036F0F-F0CA-433A-8FF2-FE8879B0818E.jpeg
    171.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Once again here are the 4 options Theo was presented with while he waited for 3 or 4 mins I think it was and then searched for WU.

1- the fire trail from where Theo came down at 7.5kms an hour
2- the left hand turn that continues the fire trail out directly to tallow beach road
3- the path straight ahead that I believe goes to cosy corner car park
4- the infamous right turn! It is down this path that he travels for 560m, that’s 5 and a half football fields, out eventually onto tallow beach directly next to what was later found to be an abandoned camp

Once again, he not only was there after midnight, but with little or no moon on a cold night! Just try and imagine that scenario for a second? You have google maps open and you wait for 4 mins, but then decide to go through real thick scrub for over 500 meters?

when a pathed tallow beach road was 50 yards to his left? Cmon? Really?

Attachments

• 870C0C85-1142-44EA-A340-6B39F2B21961.jpeg
    870C0C85-1142-44EA-A340-6B39F2B21961.jpeg
    97.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 4397CE27-71F1-46E3-801B-FDE43CD4DBE2.jpeg
    4397CE27-71F1-46E3-801B-FDE43CD4DBE2.jpeg
    92.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 74A4BD18-428E-446F-BCBB-615DC09DF520.jpeg
    74A4BD18-428E-446F-BCBB-615DC09DF520.jpeg
    104.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 05891B94-EE27-4AB7-A99B-EBE1819210BB.jpeg
    05891B94-EE27-4AB7-A99B-EBE1819210BB.jpeg
    105.3 KB · Views: 32
Literally tallow beach road from the crossroads Theo stood at!

that’s how bloody close it was to him!

Attachments

• EDC62674-8C45-4EA6-8C45-89A62C825285.jpeg
    EDC62674-8C45-4EA6-8C45-89A62C825285.jpeg
    98.6 KB · Views: 41
I read this sad story and it is in the opposite direction from the beach but just a thought in case Theo did make it back towards the hostel.

"The Island Quarry is surrounded on three sides by sheer cliffs, and until a few years ago it was heavily promoted on backpacker websites.
Locals have used it as a swimming hole since the former quarry filled with water about 50 years ago".

Concerns raised about Byron Bay cliff jumping injuries before death

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back