Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howard Stern is not pulling punches when it comes to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The famed media personality, 67, referenced the recent deaths of several anti-vaxxer radio hosts on Tuesday's episode of his SiriusXM show, slamming their misinformation and calling for a vaccine mandate.

"When are we gonna stop putting up with the idiots in this country and just say it's mandatory to get vaccinated?"
"I want to get out of the house already. I want to go next door and play chess. I want to go take some pictures. This is bull"
"And I'm really of mind to say, 'Look, if you didn't get vaccinated [and] you got COVID, you don't get into a hospital."

Howard Stern Slams Anti-Vaxxers as He Calls for Vaccine Mandate: 'I Want My Freedom to Live'

Australia sees record Covid cases with the outbreak set to continue getting WORSE | Daily Mail Online

Australia again reported record Covid cases today with the outbreak set to continue getting worse until at least next week, despite strict local lockdown measures.

The country's daily cases topped 1,900 for the first time in the pandemic on Friday as the outbreak - fuelled by the highly infectious Delta variant - continued to gain ground in locked-down Sydney and Melbourne, its largest cities.

Australia is in the grip of a third wave of infections with the Delta outbreak forcing officials to ditch their COVID-zero strategy in favour of suppressing the virus.

They now aim to begin easing tough restrictions after reaching a higher proportion of the population with double-dose vaccinations.

Australia sees record Covid cases with the outbreak set to continue getting WORSE | Daily Mail Online

Australia again reported record Covid cases today with the outbreak set to continue getting worse until at least next week, despite strict local lockdown measures.

The country's daily cases topped 1,900 for the first time in the pandemic on Friday as the outbreak - fuelled by the highly infectious Delta variant - continued to gain ground in locked-down Sydney and Melbourne, its largest cities.

Australia is in the grip of a third wave of infections with the Delta outbreak forcing officials to ditch their COVID-zero strategy in favour of suppressing the virus.

They now aim to begin easing tough restrictions after reaching a higher proportion of the population with double-dose vaccinations.

Fortunately, so far, they have been able to confine it to the red circled states of the country, and primarily in two cities.
Population in that red circled area, about 15.3 million people.

Who knows what will happen as those areas lift their lockdowns. That's why the race for vaccination is on.

az.JPG

(This is the 1,901 cases)
NSW 1,542 cases
VIC 334 cases
ACT 24 cases
QLD 1 case
SA 0
WA 0
TAS 0
NT 0

I think the plan is, once 80% fully-vaccinated rate has been reached, we are going to let it be endemic. The message seemingly being 'if you don't want to risk dying of covid, get vaccinated'.

TGA sounds alarm on ivermectin, places heavy restrictions on prescriptions — as it happened

Last edited:
Fortunately, so far, they have been able to confine it to the red circled states of the country, and primarily in two cities.

Who knows what will happen as those areas lift their lockdowns. That's why the race for vaccination is on.

View attachment 312067

NSW 1,542 cases
VIC 334 cases
ACT 24 cases
QLD 1 case
SA 0
WA 0
TAS 0
NT 0

I think the plan is, once 80% fully-vaccinated rate has been reached, we are going to let it be endemic. The message seemingly being 'if you don't want to risk dying of covid, get vaccinated'.

TGA sounds alarm on ivermectin, places heavy restrictions on prescriptions — as it happened
I read yesterday that we here are at 88.9% fully vaccinated, over 16 years old and unfortunately our cases are still high.

It is a kind of roulette now. We can only hope the vaccines will protect us and our vulnerable nearest and dearest at this point.

The nursing home where my mother is now staying just sent out an email. They test every Tuesday and Friday, but this is only Thursday. This is what I just received:

"Since our last report, five new cases of COVID have been identified in our staff population. All five staff members are undergoing at-home quarantine precautions. We continue to monitor one resident that has also been identified as positive for COVID.

Our next testing date will be Friday, September 10, 2021. An update will be sent after testing is completed tomorrow.

Thank you for your continued prayers and support."

One resident and FIVE staff? That tells me one thing -- the staff are not getting vaccinated. My mom is vaccinated, but we all know the shot loses efficiency over time. They're so short-handed already and now five more can't work.

This is so irresponsible.

LTC facilities do not release number of vaccinated staff or residents. LTC were required to obtain family/POA approval for many, resulting in lower/delayed vaccination rates in this group of residents, some as high as 40% unvaccinated.

CMS (Medicare/Medicaid) funded facilities are required to test twice per weekly. This is a good guide of guidelines LTC must follow.
Healthcare Workers

LTC/Hospitials/Medicial Office/Out patient labs/Home Health/Home medical Equipment/Pharmacy/ facilities have been aware for weeks mandated vaccination for all staff was in the works.
Most have risk assessments for number of staff by position.
Most have tried to council/convince/ incentivize those unvaccinated, complicated by - states with unions, exhausted/over worked staff.
Many travel/contract medical Staffing agencies are offering up to 100. per hour for full vaccinated RNs, 30. Hr for CNAs, as facilities try to prepare. Financial, this is unsustainable long term.

Moo.... "Medical personnel" are a custom to mandated vaccines - HEP A/B, tetanus, HPV, TB testing, Flu and many more, but I see some flat out refusing to take this vaccine. They are willing to give up their jobs, change careers but some will not comply.

I am gravely worried about a healthcare system already struggling to keep up.

All above, my opinion only ...retired from 45 yrs in healthcare, and seeing friends and family in HC worry daily about staffing.

Biden's vaccination mandate doesn't include illegal immigrants

No vaccine mandate for illegal immigrants being held at federal detention facilities. They have the option to refuse, and 30% are refusing to be vaccinated.

But Biden stopped short of mandating the vaccine for illegal immigrants attempting to cross America's border, even though about 30% of immigrants held at federal detention facilities are refusing to be vaccinated — and they have the option to refuse.

Meanwhile, more than 18% of migrant families who recently crossed the border tested positive for COVID before being released by Border Patrol. Another 20% of unaccompanied minors tested positive for the virus.

BBM

My husband and myself jumped at the opportunity to get vaccinated.
We were thrilled to be able to get vaccinated in February of this year.
Not all we know felt the same way.
Many of our loved ones were wary of this vaccine and to this day, refuse to get it.
All of them are intelligent, successful beings.
My point of posting tonight is this.
My friends don't trust the government of the USA.
The absolute LAST person they trust to protect them right now is President Joe Biden.
For me. The fight against these viruses is NOT political, no matter what the news media conjures up.
This virus is not some thinking organism that gives a crap about your political stance.
I agree that the sanctions against the unvaccinated will force many to comply.
*I actually agree that these sanctions will bring Americans in to get their shots.
Probably a good thing for this country.
I for sure would like to get back to some sort of normal life.
I am exhausted of constantly cleaning, washing my hands and being constantly on the lookout for how I could bring this virus home to infect my loved ones.
I do believe that we've got to fight this invisible killer with EVERYTHING we've got.

I agree with everything you said-- Most of the people that are resisting getting the vaccine sound irrational. They have probably been getting the flu vaccine most of their lives with no problem and of course there are all those other vaccines they had to have as children. I wouldn't care if they didn't get the vaccine, but for the fact that their failure to do this is keeping this hideous pandemic alive and spreading it to our children and to others. I think the mandates will help get many more people vaccinated, but it still may not be enough.

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1436347642804572173

[Data from San Diego County showing a breakdown of breakthrough infections by vaccine type and among unvaccinated people. Pretty dramatic. New data will better reflect what's going on with the Delta variant.]
E-7ukNXWYBMAlVz

Last edited:
I agree with everything you said-- Most of the people that are resisting getting the vaccine sound irrational. They have probably been getting the flu vaccine most of their lives with no problem and of course there are all those other vaccines they had to have as children. I wouldn't care if they didn't get the vaccine, but for the fact that their failure to do this is keeping this hideous pandemic alive and spreading it to our children and to others. I think the mandates will help get many more people vaccinated, but it still may not be enough.

And they don't remember that many of us older people even got a small pox vaccine - so that they don't have to worry about it. The eradication of small pox was a global effort.

Most of them also got measles, mumps and rubella as babies. The rest of us actually got those diseases (my eyes were damaged by measles; my dad almost died of mumps). Then of course, there are diphtheria, typhus and typhoid - killed so many in the past.

And of course...polio.

If we had not had vaccines against all of these, so many of the vaccine-avoiders would either not be here or would be crippled or disabled by illnesses they now don't even think about. "I never get a flu shot, I've got a GREAT immune system" wouldn't be true if they'd had all those diseases, instead of vaccines.

I also read that there are indications that if a vaccinated person catches covid, they are likely infectious for a shorter period of time. They recover quicker, have less symptoms, the body kills the virus pretty quickly.

It really is a new frontier as far as whittling down the details.

Yes! I tried to find out why. I'll attempt to translate (the science on this is over my head, but I can summarize the results). It also explains why people who are relying on having already gotten COVID as their "vaccine" are far more likely to be reinfected than the vaccinated.

Apparently, when the body attempts to make its own antibodies to COVID, it uses trial and error based on past viral infections. It has the frontline IgG response. This is enough for some people, but those people won't have the other, more lasting types of immunity based in bone marrow. But there's more!

The body's own immune system "learns" about the spike proteins and tries to neutralize those. But the vaccines (at least the mRNA vaccines) don't just neutralize spike proteins. They also attack the surface of the "ball" of the virion, to which the spikes are attached.

The vaccines actually cause the virions to be damaged and become completely non-functional. And the vaccines provide frontline (IgG) immunity in this regard - so that the vaccinated person's lungs rarely get a big dose of functional virions.

This two-prong attack on the virions is not found in people who have natural immunity from having gotten COVID - apparently their IgG antibodies focus mainly on the spikes (and do that imperfectly, as well). The virions can still get to the lungs and from there, throughout the body.

We've known for some time that COVID attaches to epithelial cells in the lungs and throughout the body, but in another piece of newer research, it's shown that COVID also attaches to and damages the muscle cells in the heart (and perhaps muscle cells elsewhere - the study was specific to the heart).

Just had a patient here for a physical, and he said, “I can’t believe you wear a mask all day. Doesn’t it fog up your glasses?”

Me: “It keeps me from getting COVID so I happy to wear it.”

Patient: “So you are one of the lucky ones that hasn’t gotten COVID?”

Me: “It’s not luck, I protect myself so I don’t get it.”

Patient, shaking his head. “I just don’t know about those COVID numbers anyway.”

Me: “The hospital is completely full of COVID patients right now, and on diversion”

Patient: “Well, they say kids don’t get it.”

At that point I figured I should stop wasting my time with the guy :rolleyes:

Just had a patient here for a physical, and he said, “I can’t believe you wear a mask all day. Doesn’t it fog up your glasses?”

Me: “It keeps me from getting COVID so I happy to wear it.”

Patient: “So you are one of the lucky ones that hasn’t gotten COVID?”

Me: “It’s not luck, I protect myself so I don’t get it.”

Patient, shaking his head. “I just don’t know about those COVID numbers anyway.”

Me: “The hospital is completely full of COVID patients right now, and on diversion”

Patient: “Well, they say kids don’t get it.”

At that point I figured I should stop wasting my time with the guy :rolleyes:

No point in knocking your head against a wall!!!! Seems like there are just a significant number of people that do not get the message--they either refuse because of obstinance, politics or because they are just dense and ignorant. Take your pick!

View attachment 312067

NSW 1,542 cases
VIC 334 cases
ACT 24 cases
QLD 1 case
SA 0
WA 0
TAS 0
NT 0

How are the vaccination clinics going? Are people receiving their boosters in 3-4 weeks, or do they have a longer wait between vaccines, as we did in Canada until our vaccine supply was meeting the demand.

Howard Stern is not pulling punches when it comes to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The famed media personality, 67, referenced the recent deaths of several anti-vaxxer radio hosts on Tuesday's episode of his SiriusXM show, slamming their misinformation and calling for a vaccine mandate.

"When are we gonna stop putting up with the idiots in this country and just say it's mandatory to get vaccinated?"
"I want to get out of the house already. I want to go next door and play chess. I want to go take some pictures. This is bull"
"And I'm really of mind to say, 'Look, if you didn't get vaccinated [and] you got COVID, you don't get into a hospital."

Howard Stern Slams Anti-Vaxxers as He Calls for Vaccine Mandate: 'I Want My Freedom to Live'

Good for him: tell it like is Howard - in a fair and just world those unvaccinated people that come to the hospital dying-- would not be treated: they have a lot of nerve- no vaccines- waiting until they are so sick they need the ICU- taking up beds needed by people who are sick and did not bring it upon themselves. Sorry if it sounds nasty - but that is the way I feel. Of course I understand health care facilities will never turn these people away.

Biden's vaccination mandate doesn't include illegal immigrants

No vaccine mandate for illegal immigrants being held at federal detention facilities. They have the option to refuse, and 30% are refusing to be vaccinated.

But Biden stopped short of mandating the vaccine for illegal immigrants attempting to cross America's border, even though about 30% of immigrants held at federal detention facilities are refusing to be vaccinated — and they have the option to refuse.

Meanwhile, more than 18% of migrant families who recently crossed the border tested positive for COVID before being released by Border Patrol. Another 20% of unaccompanied minors tested positive for the virus.

BBM

It would seem an important part of mitigation to require ANYONE entering the US to be vaccinated. We're requiring the entire medical community, federal and postal employees, business with >100 employees, seems like a big gap to not require vaccination for those entering our country. Could this reduce the induction of new variants?

All my opinion....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member