Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #100

Status
Not open for further replies.
England vaccine passport plans ditched, Sajid Javid says

Ok, then. Just wait now for conspiracy theorists to say it was never a plan, just a ruse to get the club goers jabbed.

Also scrapping PCR tests for double-vaxed people returning from abroad.

On a positive note, also in the news here today it says an innoculation programme will start in schools within a couple of weeks for 12-15 year olds.

Otherwise, we're basically open all areas at this point.

Sheesh. I'm not sure how they can justify holding big birthday parties when we know that even the vaccinated can spread Delta.

They can justify it by looking around and seeing football and baseball stadiums packed with maskless people, many many people dining out in crowded restaurants and bars -- it looks like life is back to normal---- you might wonder if we are still in the grips of a pandemic if you didn't know better!!!

Why is Congress and their staff exempt?

It is something about the president not being able to put a mandate on Congress. They share powers. And Congress can override him with a 2/3 vote.

Not a very good explanation, but I have only heard it pieced together loosely. Someone else can probably explain it better.

The president cannot impose a vaccine mandate on Congress via executive order or in an agency or department regulation, according to the Congressional Institute.
Congress members, staff exempt from federal vaccine mandate | cbs8.com

Lester's final thoughts...19:00 - 21:50...sad, true, touching

...There is no nostalgia for that horrible day. No silver linings. It was and always will be evil on an incalculable scale. Full stop.

But as we mark the 20th anniversary of 9/11, how can we not go there, talk about the elephant in the room.

How we responded back then, one country pulling together, united in our grief and our resolve, versus how we respond two decades later as our country faces a different peril, the pandemic.

20 years ago, Americans collected and handed out masks to ground zero workers. Today, we fight over whether to protect our children from a deadly disease with them.

Americans lined up to give blood in the days after 9/11. Today, millions of us refuse a vaccine, proven to protect us and our fellow Americans.

On the evening of 9/11, political differences were drowned out under a musical chorus of patriotism.........

This was heavy on my mind yesterday.

I viewed several of the memorials yesterday, and was surprised to see very few masks.

Where ever there are lots of people these days, most seem to have put the pandemic behind them. Really. It is hard to believe as thousands are dying every day (most unvaccinated)- but dying nevertheless- hospitals in many areas bulging with patients, and rejecting other patients cause they have no room----and yet it is business as usual. Go figure.

Is it a cultural phenomenon or a human phenomenon? We pay a lot of attention to mass death/casualty events, but deaths from the same cause that come singly are treated much differently.

I'm convinced that the only way the pandemic will be taken seriously is if a large hospital, full OF COVID patients, collapses from the weight.
Imo

If you look around the country all you can see is life going on like pre-pandemic times: Football stadiums are packed, baseball stadiums are packed, concerts are going on: I cannot comprehend how, during this moment, when we are in the grips of the most contagious variant we have been exposed to since the pandemic began, people are living life pretty normally: So, it is no surprise that people are having large parties: Of course all of these activities are without masks. Sigh

Full house at Michigan Stadium last night and full house today at Ford Field for the Lions' season opener. Masks are required in indoor concourses at The Big House, but no restrictions or mask requirements at Ford Field. I think Michigan is on the cusp of a major Covid surge in the next few weeks, and these large gatherings are likely to be super-spreaders.

We started getting calls from Michigan Opera Theatre a couple of weeks ago. They always seem to call while we're preparing or having dinner, so we didn't answer the phone. We figured that we would eventually have to face the music - pun intended - and finally gave in to a call last week. Of course, they want us to subscribe to the 2021-22 dance and/or opera season, but we are not going to put ourselves in harm's way even though MOT requires proof of vaccination or a recent negative Covid test, and masks are required regardless of vaccination status. Specifically, the MOT representative said that they were trying to "drum up an audience" for the outdoor presentation of "Blue" at the Aretha Amphitheatre on the riverfront this weekend. It's understandable that these entertainment venues want to reopen, but it seems that the typical opera-going audience isn't quite ready to sit in a theatre with hundreds of other people: I know I'm not. That said, it would have been awesome to see "Rent" at the Fisher Theatre next month and Puccini's "La Boheme", upon which "Rent" is based, at the Detroit Opera House next April.

Last edited:
Sheesh. I'm not sure how they can justify holding big birthday parties when we know that even the vaccinated can spread Delta.
Because her birthday party is the most important thing in her life. During a pandemic. (Oh, it’s not real. It’s my 60th birthday! I MUST have this big party and be celebrated!)

Guessing a very popular person! I’d have a hard time finding 100 close friends and relatives much less 300!
JMO

Last edited:
Is it a cultural phenomenon or a human phenomenon? We pay a lot of attention to mass death/casualty events, but deaths from the same cause that come singly are treated much differently.

I'm convinced that the only way the pandemic will be taken seriously is if a large hospital, full OF COVID patients, collapses from the weight.
Imo
If you had every Covid denier sit with a patient dying from Covid for 24 hours it would not change anything.
All you get is anger, hostility, sneering at loss of life and middle finger to everyone who got the alien DNA/tracking/5G shot.
JMO

Imo
There was a highly regarded, academic book about western society called Amusing Ourselves to Death...I think this is exactly what he was predicting, back in 1984.

Because her birthday party is the most important thing in her life. During a pandemic. (Oh, it’s not real. It’s my 60th birthday! I MUST have this big party and be celebrated!)

Guessing a very popular person! I’d have a hard time finding 100 close friends and relatives much less 300!
JMO

Kind of like Obama's birthday party, didn't send a good message to the common folks.

Where ever there are lots of people these days, most seem to have put the pandemic behind them. Really. It is hard to believe as thousands are dying every day (most unvaccinated)- but dying nevertheless- hospitals in many areas bulging with patients, and rejecting other patients cause they have no room----and yet it is business as usual. Go figure.

If you read the ridiculous comments following local media reports, it does seem that many people seem to have a
lais·sez-faire attitude toward the pandemic. Nothing to see here. Time to move on. Get over it. Covid isn't real. Blah, blah, blah. I guess these folks won't take the pandemic seriously unless or until it lands them in the hospital, on a ventilator, begging for a medical miracle to keep them alive. JMO

If you read the ridiculous comments following local media reports, it does seem that many people seem to have a
lais·sez-faire attitude toward the pandemic. Nothing to see here. Time to move on. Get over it. Covid isn't real. Blah, blah, blah. I guess these folks won't take the pandemic seriously unless or until it lands them in the hospital, on a ventilator, begging for a medical miracle to keep them alive. JMO
Even worse are the people who claim doctors and nurses are lying about the overcrowded ICUs and even lie and say that they work in a hospital and their hospital has plenty of free beds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks