CANADA Canada - Marianne Schuett, 10, Kilbride, Ont, 27 April 1967

CStewart how do you know that your mom’s abuser stopped? Could he be responsible for other unsolved cases? Did his wife know what he was doing? Did this person continue working at UofG? Any students there going missing?

Aug 11 2021 by Scott Laurie
Retired police duo forge ahead in renewed search for Marianne Schuett | Toronto Sun
Capture-14-e1628724274299.jpg

Burlington's Marianne Schuett was 10 when she disappeared April 27, 1967, between Kilbride Public School and her home some 400 metres away.
''They are determined to find out what happened to 10-year-old Marianne Schuett.

Two retired police officers — independently investigating the Burlington girl’s disappearance in 1967 — are organizing an anthropological dig for clues in an abandoned quarry near Acton on Sept. 11.''

''Retired RCMP inspector Linda Gillis Davidson and retired Peel Regional Police forensics expert Gord Collins have dedicated two years to the case.

Marianne disappeared April 27, 1967, between Kilbride Public School and her home some 400 metres away.

Witnesses told police they saw her speaking with a man sitting in a car, believed to be a dark-coloured Renault.

Halton Regional Police believed the little girl was abducted by the man — described as about 40, with a thin face and wearing glasses.

Despite a massive search at the time, her body has never been found.

During their search for a suspect in the early 1990s, police zeroed in on a licence plate that led to a suspect with a Renault.

“The day that they were going to arrest him was the day he committed suicide,” Davidson said.''

CStewart how do you know that your mom’s abuser stopped? Could he be responsible for other unsolved cases? Did his wife know what he was doing? Did this person continue working at UofG? Any students there going missing?

That's why I'm speaking up. I know that my aunt kept in some sort of communication with the adoptive mom and I am pretty sure she was kept in the dark about it all. When my mom finally told her at 11, the woman denied it all and called my mom a liar, which caused my mom to lash out. She pushed the woman down the stairs, leaving her with a broken leg. My mom has never had contact but when the Bruce McArthur story broke in Toronto (what is with that name??) my mom went pale. I reached out to my aunt who said she was waiting to hear from her adopted mom, but when pictures were finally released, she said it wasn't him. Although, according to my mom after writing in here, the one piece of info she did find out years ago was that eventually the guy lost his position in University of Guelph and opened his own landscaping company which is the first I'd heard of that.

Of course I don't think he stopped. My mom said she drove by the house a few month ago and saw a little girl in a fancy dress playing outside, and she had to keep herself from stopping to say something to whoever was inside. She knew it was irrational as it may not even be the same family there. But, it's possible he could've went on to have children and even grandchildren. Which is why I want to start talking about it. If even a single cold case can be solved or someone else can find justice, then it's worth it.

I just wish I could find him. I am really scary good at finding people and this is one person I just can't seem to track down. It would help if I felt I could talk about it with my mom more, but she's been through so much. I can see the wounds it opens when it's brought up. My aunt has since been diagnosed schizophrenic too, so it limits the information I can obtain now. I mostly speak up so people with access can look into it to see if the info matches cases they have.

When Holly Jones went missing, the news reported that we all have convicted pedophiles in our neighborhoods and we just don’t know it as that information is privileged. Convicted pedophiles have rights to their privacy you see. I thought this can’t be true. Not in my beautiful neighborhood with families and parks and puppies. So I phoned my local police station and surprise! I was told I’d be shocked if I knew how many convicted pedophiles are in EVERY neighborhood. The person in the phone confirmed that they could never disclose any information so yes, the single guy next door, the nice dad of three down the street or even the older retired woman across the street may be a convicted pedophile, and the only way to keep your kids safe is to never take your eyes off them. Unless they tell you who they are and what they did, you will never know. The person at the police station also gave me a number, a statistic, and I can’t recall what it was, but in my city of 800,000, there were thousands of convicted pedophiles and they made it very clear that I was not entitled to any information, unless there was guaranteed proof that they were likely to reoffend. I asked how they could be sure they wouldn’t reoffend and was told they couldn’t. So cstewart, you are very lucky to have that info about the creep who molested your family members. If you know his name and who he is, you can at least protect yourself from him. A vile piece of filth like him, someone who adopted innocent little children and introduced them to hell, should never have been allowed to breath fresh air in freedom. Yet he exists in someone’s neighbourhood, lurking , watching the kids play outside or in the local park. It would be very fortunate if you could alert people in his community as to who he is, but sadly you would probably get into trouble with the law. I imagine it could be done anonymously but sadly, in Canada, you’d probably get into more trouble for violating his privacy and do more jail time than he did for molesting little girls.

Aug 11 2021 by Scott Laurie
Retired police duo forge ahead in renewed search for Marianne Schuett | Toronto Sun
Capture-14-e1628724274299.jpg

Burlington's Marianne Schuett was 10 when she disappeared April 27, 1967, between Kilbride Public School and her home some 400 metres away.
''They are determined to find out what happened to 10-year-old Marianne Schuett.

Two retired police officers — independently investigating the Burlington girl’s disappearance in 1967 — are organizing an anthropological dig for clues in an abandoned quarry near Acton on Sept. 11.''
This is the weekend of the dig for clues to Marianne's disappearance at one of the sites hit on by the cadaver dogs.

This article is not paywalled (yet) on my computer. The 'dig' goes on today.:

It doesn’t take Ella long to find what she’s looking for. She sits down beside the soil and barks excitedly — her method of indicating that she’s discovered the human scent she’s trained to pick up. The forensic dig team claps and cheers.

“That’s what we were hoping was going to happen. The dog has picked up the scent of human decomposition,” said Linda Gillis Davidson, a former RCMP inspector who’s heading up the search with retired Peel Police forensics investigator Gord Collins.

Is it Marianne? We don’t know yet. But evidence brought us here, and now the dog has indicated that’s where decomposition has occurred. They don’t find bones, they find smell. And they’re only trained on the human smell.”

‘I never forgot that little face’: Forensic dig underway in hunt for Burlington girl missing since 1967

I'm a little suspicious on the reporting.. the first article after the first day's search told of the dog finding the scent of a dead human, and that the volunteers were carefully sifting through the dirt, hoping to find something. Now this second article comes out, but not by a mainstream media, just saying, 'It is hoped that the remains may hold DNA in bone fragments that can identify Marianne.' .... but nothing about bone fragments actually having been found. There is also no author attributed to the second article. I'm sure hoping they did find bones, but I'm not holding my breath? Thoughts?

Hunt for Halton’s Marianne Schuett yields human remains
September 13, 2021

''It’s reported that human remains have been found by a volunteer team of retired police and other citizens in the search for the remains of Marianne Schuett. Marianne disappeared in 1967 and is believed to have been the victim of a sex offender who committed suicide in 1991 as police closed in on him. The painstaking work to bring 10-year-old Marianne home is being carried out near the hamlet of Kilbride in north Halton Region. It is hoped that the remains may hold DNA in bone fragments that can identify Marianne. Her brother Steve Schuett, now 60, was part of the weekend group of searchers brought together by two retired cops. They are Linda Gillis Davidson, a former RCMP inspector and former Peel Police forensics investigator Gord Collins. Inside Halton''

God Bless you Marrianne.

Without ever meeting you or knowing you personally you have lived within me since I moved to the Kilbride area in 1970 when I was 5.

The fear we local families felt and were raised under after you were so wrongfully taken leaves a long-lasting emotional toll and an untrust toward strangers.

We hope we have found your earth's body and can allow your soul to rest in peace for eternity.

God Bless you Marrianne.

Without ever meeting you or knowing you personally you have lived within me since I moved to the Kilbride area in 1970 when I was 5.

The fear we local families felt and were raised under after you were so wrongfully taken leaves a long-lasting emotional toll and an untrust toward strangers.

We hope we have found your earth's body and can allow your soul to rest in peace for eternity.
Lovely sentiment Bobbi Pearl, thank you.

I'm a little suspicious on the reporting.. the first article after the first day's search told of the dog finding the scent of a dead human, and that the volunteers were carefully sifting through the dirt, hoping to find something. Now this second article comes out, but not by a mainstream media, just saying, 'It is hoped that the remains may hold DNA in bone fragments that can identify Marianne.' .... but nothing about bone fragments actually having been found. There is also no author attributed to the second article. I'm sure hoping they did find bones, but I'm not holding my breath? Thoughts?

You are very good at noticing that detail.

here is another report and it states no bones found:

"By the end of the weekend, three areas at the site were verified to contain the smell of human decomposition by the cadaver dogs, and 20 to 30 soil samples were taken for testing. No bone fragments were found."

BEHIND THE CRIMES: Investigators conduct forensic dig in hunt for girl missing since 1967

Yeah that is a bad article/writing. Professional news reports don't say "It was reported..", they NAME the source. <modsnip: referenced post removed>

Last edited by a moderator:
I see now I set aside a paper copy of the Star/Metroland article that Deugirtni posted a link to and others have posted links to. Sounds definitely like there are human remains there. Hopefully the soil samples turn up something useful.

BEHIND THE CRIMES: Investigators conduct forensic dig in hunt for girl missing since 1967
SchuettForensicDig%20GP09_Super_Portrait.jpg

'Somebody’s family member is coming back to them — we just don’t know whose yet'
Melanie Hennessey
InsideHalton.com
September 16, 2021 rbbm.
''Ella carefully sniffed a pile of soil, working hard to detect any scent of human decomposition. The highly trained cadaver dog is part of a larger team that was on the ground earlier this month in rural Acton, searching for traces of Marianne Schuett, a 10-year-old Kilbride girl who was abducted on her way home from school in 1967.''

''It didn’t take Ella long to find what she was looking for. She sat down beside the soil and barked excitedly — her method of indicating that she discovered the human scent she’s trained to pick up. The forensic dig team clapped and cheered.''

“That’s what we were hoping was going to happen. The dog has picked up the scent of human decomposition,” said Linda Gillis Davidson, a former RCMP inspector who headed up the search with retired Peel police forensics investigator Gord Collins.

"Through the soil samples, we will be able to find DNA. Somebody’s family member is coming back to them — we just don’t know whose yet. We’re hoping it’s Marianne because the evidence brought us here."

By the end of the weekend, three areas at the site were verified to contain the smell of human decomposition by the cadaver dogs, and 20 to 30 soil samples were taken for testing. No bone fragments were found.''
Results from the lab are expected in three to six weeks. If the DNA found doesn't point to Marianne, Gillis Davidson said she and Collins will look to other missing person cases in the area to hopefully find a match''
SchuettForensicDig%20GP12_Super_Portrait.jpg

Forensic anthropologists and volunteers search a wooded area in Halton Hills for any trace of Marianne Schuett, who disappeared in 1967. The Sept. 11 effort was led by two retired police investigators. - Graham Paine/Metroland

''Results from the lab are expected in three to six weeks. If the DNA found doesn't point to Marianne, Gillis Davidson said she and Collins will look to other missing person cases in the area to hopefully find a match.''

Does anyone know, what is the dog smelling? After 54 years, if the hardest parts are no longer there, is anything at all still there? Would rain, snow, etc. have washed everything away? It’s truly amazing if after all these years, there is still something viable left for the dog to sniff and for labs to test for DNA.

Has there been an update anywhere about what was found?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Witchee
Back