Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #100

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I know is that people who've never heard shots called "jabs" feel horrified by the word (source: polling my students as to how they feel about various COVID terms). "Jab" sounds awful and it made me wonder if that word alone wasn't making some people squeamish.

It's a tiny shot. Little itty bitty needle and there's no "jab" when it goes in...
We live in south Louisiana and jab to us means being hit.

This is so very sad. What a tragedy. 43 ICUs had no room for him due to the strain of COVID cases.

It's probably worth trying to remember that the problem is not so much the lack of physical beds per se, but a severe shortage of qualified/trained ICU personnel who are needed to staff them around the clock.

depends where you're referring to

Many Hospitals With No Beds Left Are Forced To Send COVID Patients To Cities Far Away
COVID surge creates shortage of hospital ICU beds
London Health Sciences Centre at Capacity - Patients facing long waits and canceled surgeries Heading | LHSC

General update (for those who are interested):

NSW expected to hit 80% vaccinated (at least first dose) today.
Vic expected to hit 70% vaccinated (at least first dose) on Friday.

The govt has been throwing every extra available vaccine dose at them. Trying to help ease their outbreaks.
(While still supplying the rest of the states with our usual per-head-of-population quantity.)

They are hoping that NSW's covid curve is starting to flatten, as the daily numbers appear to be stabilising. We'll know for sure in about a week. I think that some NSW areas (Sydney) have been in lockdown for about 11 weeks now.

As a country, we are currently standing at 1,102 covid deaths.

Source: Ch7 morning TV news

Sydney COVID-19 infections ease, but unclear if they have peaked

All I know is that people who've never heard shots called "jabs" feel horrified by the word (source: polling my students as to how they feel about various COVID terms). "Jab" sounds awful and it made me wonder if that word alone wasn't making some people squeamish.

It's a tiny shot. Little itty bitty needle and there's no "jab" when it goes in...

I'm still going to call my flu shot, a flu shot, so there jab!

But jab has really taken over in the past week or so here.
I don't like the idea of being jabbed, though when I think of it, shot could sound pretty violent too.

Maybe we could say we got our Vaxx today :) Nothing jabby or shooty there :)

This is like an argument here with an aquaintance ages ago over what you call those draught stoppers, in our house we called them a snake, in their house they called them a sausage. :D

I might start saying vaxx and see if I can get a trend going.

At first I cringed hearing/seeing "jab" instead of shot, but I've pretty much gotten used to it. I prefer "getting the vaccine" or getting/being vaccinated (getting vaxxed works too), because that sounds less violent than jab or shot! MOO

vaxhurt2_wide-3b270ca1de3e6f3722f1666acdd5c39b61d99050-s1200.jpg

WaPo advice columnist Carolyn Hax nails it as usual…

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...es-to-mask-get-vaccinated-friendship-survive/

Hello, Carolyn!
My close friend of many years and I live about an hour away from each other, but we might as well be on distant planets when it comes to covid.

Lockdown was extremely stressful for both of us. Since lockdown ended, I have been living carefully: masking up indoors and getting vaccinated ASAP. She has been living confidently, maskless, and refuses to get vaccinated. I think covid safety is a big deal, she thinks it’s not necessary. Her friend got covid-19 while battling breast cancer and died. My friend is convinced her death wasn’t related to covid (how would anyone know?).

I don't respect her decisions, her logic or her behavior. She doesn't respect mine — she thinks I'm overreacting and overly cautious. When we talk about it, we both dig our heels in. So now we aren't talking. It's been over a month now.

Now that the delta variant is here, I’m even more worried, angry and frustrated with her. I’m practically obsessed with her lack of safety. How can a friendship overcome these differences?

— Frustrated

Frustrated: If you’re wrong about covid (you’re not), then here’s what happens: You feel minor discomfort in your mask and no one else is harmed.

If she's wrong about covid (she is), then here's what happens: She puts herself at risk of sickness and death; she puts other people at risk of sickness and death; she does her small part to help extend the life and reach of a virus that has brought sickness and death to millions, along with massive emotional, experiential, educational and economic losses to the entire world; and in doing all of these she gives the virus one more living opportunity to mutate into even more dangerous forms.

(More at link)

Last edited:
WaPo advice columnist Carolyn Hax nails it as usual…

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...es-to-mask-get-vaccinated-friendship-survive/

Hello, Carolyn!
My close friend of many years and I live about an hour away from each other, but we might as well be on distant planets when it comes to covid.

Lockdown was extremely stressful for both of us. Since lockdown ended, I have been living carefully: masking up indoors and getting vaccinated ASAP. She has been living confidently, maskless, and refuses to get vaccinated. I think covid safety is a big deal, she thinks it’s not necessary. Her friend got covid-19 while battling breast cancer and died. My friend is convinced her death wasn’t related to covid (how would anyone know?).

I don't respect her decisions, her logic or her behavior. She doesn't respect mine — she thinks I'm overreacting and overly cautious. When we talk about it, we both dig our heels in. So now we aren't talking. It's been over a month now.

Now that the delta variant is here, I’m even more worried, angry and frustrated with her. I’m practically obsessed with her lack of safety. How can a friendship overcome these differences?

— Frustrated

Frustrated: If you’re wrong about covid (you’re not), then here’s what happens: You feel minor discomfort in your mask and no one else is harmed.

If she's wrong about covid (she is), then here's what happens: She puts herself at risk of sickness and death; she puts other people at risk of sickness and death; she does her small part to help extend the life and reach of a virus that has brought sickness and death to millions, along with massive emotional, experiential, educational and economic losses to the entire world; and in doing all of these she gives the virus one more living opportunity to mutate into even more dangerous forms.

(More at link)

That pretty much sums it up!!!!

I'm thinking maybe this friendship may not be able to overcome the divergent approaches to Covid---

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member