UT - Kylen Schulte, 24, & Crystal Beck, 38, newlywed couple found dead, Grand County, 18 Aug 2021

Jeez the more that comes out the more it does sound like a replay of Rebecca Wight & Claudia Brenner. Makes me feel like lesbian couples are in especially great danger while primitive camping.

I think it's a combination of misogyny and homophobia against lesbians, and the fact that two petite women like Kylen and Crystal would be easy to overpower and harm. So horrible. :(

I think it's a combination of misogyny and homophobia against lesbians, and the fact that two petite women like Kylen and Crystal would be easy to overpower and harm. So horrible. :(
I dunno, women camp in their own, like with a dog. It's not like a dog is any harder to shoot than a woman, or her boyfriend for that matter. It seems like something about lesbian couples in particular set men off, or the specific type of male loners who are also out there doing primitive camping.

I dunno, women camp in their own, like with a dog. It's not like a dog is any harder to shoot than a woman, or her boyfriend for that matter. It seems like something about lesbian couples in particular set men off, or the specific type of male loners who are also out there doing primitive camping.
Yes -- obviously this doesn't apply to all men or even to all men who camp alone, but the type of "incel" who perceives women as objects to which he ought to be entitled, might bear rage against any woman who is neither available to him nor "taken" by another man.

Not to get political but I think the anger that sort of man can produce and aim at others has been fostered by the climate in the USA over recent years. MOO

Yes -- obviously this doesn't apply to all men or even to all men who camp alone, but the type of "incel" who perceives women as objects to which he ought to be entitled, might bear rage against any woman who is neither available to him nor "taken" by another man.

Not to get political but I think the anger that sort of man can produce and aim at others has been fostered by the climate in the USA over recent years. MOO
Misogynistic men are global, not just the US.

Their friend CST who found Kylen's body and was the one who called police who then found Crystal's body posted pics on Facebook of the campsite where they were found.

Available at this link: imgur.com

I am still frustrated at the comment by LE that there's no imminent danger and nothing to worry about.

Sounds like “no imminent danger” for the straight population. JMO.

Sounds like “no imminent danger” for the straight population. JMO.
Years ago when my sister and I had visited my daughter who lived two states away, on New Years Eve on our way home, we booked into a motel and went to a bar on the premises, to have a few drinks, when we walked in a large group of men cat called us, when we ignored them they started calling us lesbians and making really vulgar suggestions.

Sept. 13 update:

Search warrant documents reveal new details about Moab double murder - Court TV

A search warrant was filed and carried out with the intent to search a vehicle registered to the couple but that was not with them when they were found. The van had been left in a McDonald’s parking lot, which is where Turner worked.

According to the warrant, officers discovered Schulte and Turner partially undressed with multiple gunshot wounds all over their bodies.

Maybe I am misinterpeting the information in the above post but it sounds like the bodies of KS and CB were found inside the van not at the campsite. Maybe the article is poorly writen but this would contradict earlier statement that both women were found dead at their campsite.

Maybe I am misinterpeting the information in the above post but it sounds like the bodies of KS and CB were found inside the van not at the campsite. Maybe the article is poorly writen but this would contradict earlier statement that both women were found dead at their campsite.

The van that this warrant talks about was not at their campsite when the crime occurred. LE got a warrant to check out this other vehicle for information that could possibly shed light on the crime. The reason the article mentioned what the warrant said about how the bodies were found, is that the warrant must list the probable cause/reason that police should have access to this other van. So it talked about the circumstances of the murders that occurred at this other location.

Their bodies were found in a creek near the campsite: https://kutv.com/news/local/warrant...nd-vehicle-multiple-gunshots-creepy-man-drugs

My guess is that two young lesbians - in Utah - are particularly sensitive to “creepy” men. JMO.
Possibly.

At the same time, a lesbian couple could well be statistically safer in Utah than they would be in Oakland, Chicago, or say, New Orleans. Thus, it might be hard to say how the local environment impacted their radars.

That aside, I have a general understanding that some counties in Utah are more tolerant than others. For example, Saint George county in Utah has a long standing reputation for tolerating a variety of free spirits.

Moab / Grande County, however, is a long way from Saint George. I dont know what reputation the county has in regards to tolerance.

The biggest problem there is that at any given point in the summer (and maybe year round?) the overwhelming majority of people in and around Moab are not local.

Whoever did this was almost certainly out of the area within 12 hours of the murders, and probably within more like 3 hours.

Sadly, these are very good points, though I would reduce "overwhelming majority" not being local to a "signficant number of non locals".

That aside, your point is clearly valid. Maybe the number of possible suspects can be reduced (somewhat):

- Outside of a few ahrd core wilderness types, locals probably dont enjoy primitive camping in the Moab summer. Thus, nearly all locals can be eliminated. Hoepfully, the handful of local creepy camper types are known to the police.

- Is there a gas station / convenience store in the area that would be more likely to be used by people camping in that area? Could clerks have noticed a creepy, non local and unaccompanied male buying beer, junk food "groceries" etc. ?

- Put the word out on hiker forums or message boards asking people who stayed in those general camp grounds around that time if they noticed any unaccompanied males in the area either at a camp ground or on hiking trails.

- Could tire impressions from nearby camp grounds where creepy guy might have stayed be analyzed for possible manufacturer and then possible rim size? This may give a rough idea what type of vehicle he had.

Could there be a connection between the double murder of Kylen Schulte and Crystal Turner and the disappearance of Gabby Petito ?
Both cases was less than 7-10 miles apart August 12 and 13th, look at the timelines below!

Gabby Petito and boyfriend, Brian Laundrie is CP and BL in the timeline below
Kylen Schulte and Crystal Turner is KS and CT in the timeline below

Aug 12 ...
GP and BL was at a large rock structure at Arches National Park in Grand County, Utah, on Aug. 12.
This is ca 7 to 10 miles from the Woody's Tavern in Moab were KS and CT was last seen Aug 13

Aug 13 ...
KS and CT was last seen at Woody's Tavern in Moab on Aug. 13. Bar security footage shows the woman leaving at approximately 8:30 p.m. (addres of the tavern 221 S Main St, Moab, UT 84532, USA)

Aug 18 ...
KS and CT was found shot to death at a campsite in the South Mesa area of the La Sal Mountains
(less than 1 mile from Whispering Oaks ranch, UT and this is ca. 25 miles S/E of the Woody's Tavern)

Here is a map with the 3 location, from north to south:

Arches National Park Visitor Center
Woody's Tavern in Moab
Location of were the bodies of KS and CT were found

Google Maps

The article states they were potentially undressed from the waste down. Perhaps they were bathing in the creek before heading to work? Difficult to know. One thing for sure, is two women were gunned down. Please find their killer

Possibly.

At the same time, a lesbian couple could well be statistically safer in Utah than they would be in Oakland, Chicago, or say, New Orleans. Thus, it might be hard to say how the local environment impacted their radars.

That aside, I have a general understanding that some counties in Utah are more tolerant than others. For example, Saint George county in Utah has a long standing reputation for tolerating a variety of free spirits.

Moab / Grande County, however, is a long way from Saint George. I dont know what reputation the county has in regards to tolerance.

I think it’s very possible that the local community isn’t accepting of LGBT folks—a recent survey of LGBT Coloradans found that 51 percent reported experiencing homophobia, transphobia or harassment in a public place. Even though Colorado has a reputation for being a tolerant place, antipathy towards the LGBT community is still a major issue in certain areas of the state, particularly more rural parts.

Could there be a connection between the double murder of Kylen Schulte and Crystal Turner and the disappearance of Gabby Petito ?
Both cases was less than 7-10 miles apart August 12 and 13th, look at the timelines below!

Gabby Petito and boyfriend, Brian Laundrie is CP and BL in the timeline below
Kylen Schulte and Crystal Turner is KS and CT in the timeline below

Aug 12 ...
GP and BL was at a large rock structure at Arches National Park in Grand County, Utah, on Aug. 12.
This is ca 7 to 10 miles from the Woody's Tavern in Moab were KS and CT was last seen Aug 13

Aug 13 ...
KS and CT was last seen at Woody's Tavern in Moab on Aug. 13. Bar security footage shows the woman leaving at approximately 8:30 p.m. (addres of the tavern 221 S Main St, Moab, UT 84532, USA)

Aug 18 ...
KS and CT was found shot to death at a campsite in the South Mesa area of the La Sal Mountains
(less than 1 mile from Whispering Oaks ranch, UT and this is ca. 25 miles S/E of the Woody's Tavern)

Here is a map with the 3 location, from north to south:

Arches National Park Visitor Center
Woody's Tavern in Moab
Location of were the bodies of KS and CT were found

Google Maps

While this hypothetical connection is purely theoretical/conjecture at the mo, it might be worth adding to the timeline that the police attended a call-out to GP & BL where they were camping on August 12th, with the incident having been phoned in by somebody else, as per MSM last night.

The article states they were potentially undressed from the waste down. Perhaps they were bathing in the creek before heading to work? Difficult to know. One thing for sure, is two women were gunned down. Please find their killer

Given the circumstances of what we know, this is probably optimistic thinking. It's more likely to be an assault scenario (whether or not completed on one or both victims) to assert power and humiliate.

I'm sure though the answer is withheld, LE knows what happened by now due to analyzing drag marks, location of clothing, etc.

HMMMMM.....Moab area to Teton Village is about 500 miles, 8 hr driving. Kylen and Crystal are killed August 18, Robert Lowery goes missing around August 23 according to linked article. The weird thing is that Gabby Petito, who allegedly traveled in both areas on her road trip, around the same time frames as these incidents, goes missing around, about August 25th from Grand Teton?

I think it’s very possible that the local community isn’t accepting of LGBT folks—a recent survey of LGBT Coloradans found that 51 percent reported experiencing homophobia, transphobia or harassment in a public place. Even though Colorado has a reputation for being a tolerant place, antipathy towards the LGBT community is still a major issue in certain areas of the state, particularly more rural parts.
I agree with you, it is possible.

One thing about sparsely populated areas though is that it does not take large numbers of people to alter the local demographics / mentality.

For example, Saint George is said to be Utah, but not Utah. Likewise, Asheville, NC is a small town in North Carolina- but not culturally.

Sometimes, the reverse happens. There are rural areas out side of LA that were settled by Arkansas and Oklahoma migrants. The areas are clearly LA, but not LA- right down to the southern accents and well attended Pentecostal churches.

I have never been to Moab, so I cant really say if it tilts towards Saint George, or away from it. But.... with only 5,000 people, it would not take a big influx to give the town a different character from most of the rest of rural Utah.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back