SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
The charging documents say that he did fire the gun, and did so at Alex’s direction. As such, the assisted suicide charge makes sense to me.

Both were willing participants.

“Mr. Smith followed Mr. Murdaugh to Old Salkehatchie Road and shot Mr. Murdaugh as he stood in the roadway,” one of the probable cause affidavits noted. “After shooting Mr. Murdaugh in the head, Mr. Smith drove to an unknown location where he disposed of the firearm. Mr. Murdaugh survived the shooting and was transported to the hospital for treatment.”

Murdaugh Murders Saga: First Arrest Warrants Implicate Alex Murdaugh In Roadside Shooting Conspiracy
But I still don't know whether the plan was actually about suicide or not. Maybe they made that explanation up after it became clear that LE was close on their heels.

Maybe it was originally a staged shooting, to make it seem like there were killers out to get the family after all. Then when AM sensed it was imploding, they devised this noble suicide plan---designed to benefit his beloved son.

Somehow I have a hard time believing this story---I don't think Daddy M has a generous bone in his body.

They interviewed Alex yesterday and got the confession so I’m very surprised he wasn’t arrested too. Hmm. I suspect that’ll be coming shortly.

Now I can’t wait to see how the murders tie into this.
Wonder if that’s where Buster and auntie were heading yesterday when we got our first glimpse of him in months, leaving the beach home—to see AM. JMO

What exactly happened. Alex gave a gun to a friend and asked the friend to shoot him. They drove together to a deserted road where the friend shot him, left him on the side of the road and fled to hide the gun.

Alex, who presumably wanted to die, called helicopter medical evacuation and police right away. Did medical evacuation arrive before police? The injury was so minor that he was released from hospital, for a gunshot wound to the head, within 24 hours. He was coherent and released a statement related to rehab.

This was an assisted suicide so his son could inherit $10 million? Does that fit with anything else we've read about this particular lawyer - such as assisting colleagues to profit from the death of his housekeeper.

The housekeeper - must have been expensive as a nanny / house keeper for 25+ years. The sons no longer needed a nanny / baby sitter. Was she due for a pension? Was there any financial benefit for Alex to have the housekeeper nanny deceased rather than retired?

But I still don't know whether the plan was actually about suicide or not. Maybe they made that explanation up after it became clear that LE was close on their heels.

Maybe it was originally a staged shooting, to make it seem like there were killers out to get the family after all. Then when AM sensed it was imploding, they devised this noble suicide plan---designed to benefit his beloved son.

Somehow I have a hard time believing this story---I don't think Daddy M has a generous bone in his body.
Oh, I see what you’re saying. I dunno though, I don’t see Curtis admitting to assisted suicide, if he could truthfully admit to a staged shooting to take the heat off the embezzlement.

But the counterpoint is that there are much more serious charges looking, and the suicide scenario somehow sounds better.

I’m still leaning towards taking this at face value, but we’ll see.

I still don’t think he committed it, but I absolutely believe he’s the mastermind. He’s the guy everyone else is going to flip on.
I agree. I still believe it was a hired hit and the arrest tonight makes me wonder if the hired gun might already be in custody. I'm not saying Curtis shot MM and PM, just that it could be possible.

Oh, I see what you’re saying. I dunno though, I don’t see Curtis admitting to assisted suicide, if he could truthfully admit to a staged shooting to take the heat off the embezzlement.

But the counterpoint is that there are much more serious charges looking, and the suicide scenario somehow sounds better.

I’m still leaning towards taking this at face value, but we’ll see.
But has Curtis admitted to it (the assisted suicide) yet? Or only Alex?

What exactly happened. Alex gave a gun to a friend and asked the friend to shoot him. They drove together to a deserted road where the friend shot him, left him on the side of the road and fled to hide the gun.

Alex, who presumably wanted to die, called helicopter medical evacuation and police right away. Did medical evacuation arrive before police? The injury was so minor that he was released from hospital, for a gunshot wound to the head, within 24 hours. He was coherent and released a statement related to rehab.

This was an assisted suicide so his son could inherit $10 million? Does that fit with anything else we've read about this particular lawyer - such as assisting colleagues to profit from the death of his housekeeper.

The housekeeper - must have been expensive as a nanny / house keeper for 25+ years. The sons no longer needed a nanny / baby sitter. Was she due for a pension? Was there any financial benefit for Alex to have the housekeeper nanny deceased rather than retired?

"This was an assisted suicide so his son could inherit $10 million? Does that fit with anything else we've read about this particular lawyer..."

THiS^^^^^.
That was my first thought. It does not seem like it fits with anything we know about him. He doesn't seem like a generous, nor compassionate type, that would sacrifice himself for others. JMO

Gosh, there's gonna be Dateline, 20/20 & 48 hours episodes about all of this. Not to mention Netflix, Hulu , and numerous podcasts. Full feature film? Actual hardcover books, for sure.

edit: I don't get cable or satellite, so, no telling how many networks are going to cash in on this story

Last edited:
I agree. I still believe it was a hired hit and the arrest tonight makes me wonder if the hired gun might already be in custody. I'm not saying Curtis shot MM and PM, just that it could be possible.
I’d be surprised if Curtis wasn’t one of the shooters, and shocked if he played no role.

It may be a bit convoluted though, as I can think of several cases where someone was asked to arrange a hit, and then the ball got passed to a friend of a friend.

If he wanted it to appear as though he was murdered, when in fact he was committing suicide, why didn't he stage it at Moselle where he could bleed out like a truly suicidal person. Why was this staged on a road where good samaritans would inevitably rescue him right away?

If it was a failed suicide attempt, why didn't he immediately report that to police? Was he silent to protect his accomplice, the accomplice he could not describe for a sketch artist? Why didn't he just admit it? Was he hoping police would think something more sinister occurred, or was he suddenly bashful about wanting to commit suicide with a oxycodone habit and embezzlement allegations?

That doesn't seem like a murdering offense to me. If BM is gay, really what's the big deal? It's not something, IMO, anyone would consider a kid deserved death for? What was the family going to kill every partner their son had to hid his true nature? In this day and age that sounds absurd to me, with all respect to your opinion.

Oh, I completely agree with you. I don’t think that is a reason to murder, or even dislike anyone. But you and I are not conservative old men in the deep South. To them, it’s a horrible sin to be gay. It’s sad, and wrong, but they see it as it terrible choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Witchee