SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe the plan was never to kill him---AM never really wanted to kill himslf---maybe it was always just to be wounded and stage a shooting for sympathy from public.

It’s hard for me to believe that AM really intended to die. A setup seems reasonable, with the insurance payout going to his son, but I just don’t think the guy has a death wish.

The only way I can see it is if he did arrange to have MM killed, and PM became collateral damage. He sounded genuinely devastated by PM’s death during the 911 call, but not so much MM’s.

The guilt for causing his son’s death could have prompted the suicide attempt but the guy he chose sure wasn’t much of a shooter — so not sure I’m convinced the same guy did the double.

More shoes will drop, hopefully with answers.

moo

I have Scenario 3 to throw at you:
LE has had the phones bugged and overheard Alex planning the "assisted suicide" with his daft Cousin Bubba who owes him big time for something.

LE has the planning on audiotape and hauls in Cousin B who gets all shook up and agrees to pretend to carry out the crime in exchange for a future favor when he's facing jail time for dealing and/or using.
They body-cam him up while having a big laugh.

Expect transcripts and video at the PC hearing, friends.

We could go on all night, right?!

YEZZZ!

Scenario 4:
AM knew his career is over, reputation shot, and finances in ruin. He’ll never have a job or an insurance settlement again. So he does the only thing left- make the story even more preposterous so he can negotiate more for his insider story/movie rights. He realizes he may not be allowed to benefit from the $tory, so he arranges to have the funds paid to a trust for BM and the fellas who mastermind the prison break later.

And @MassGuy - I knew ain’t no way you’d really go to bed like 10 pages ago!:D

I feel HORRIBLE for all the people hurt by AM & conspirators- but who can put this story down?! No one could have come up with this!

It’s hard for me to believe that AM really intended to die. A setup seems reasonable, with the insurance payout going to his son, but I just don’t think the guy has a death wish.

The only way I can see it is if he did arrange to have MM killed, and PM became collateral damage. He sounded genuinely devastated by PM’s death during the 911 call, but not so much MM’s.

The guilt for causing his son’s death could have prompted the suicide attempt but the guy he chose sure wasn’t much of a shooter — so not sure I’m convinced the same guy did the double.

More shoes will drop, hopefully with answers.

moo

The shooter brought two guns to the double murder of mother and son. Should we believe that the shooter did not intend to use both weapons : shotgun, assault rifle? Perhaps the shooter intended to shoot one victim with two guns? Not likely. One victim was not shot with two guns. Two victims were shot with two guns, perhaps by one shooter.

Two guns means two intended victims, even if one was a 22 year old with serious legal problems.

I don't believe that Paul was accidentally killed in a double murder with his mother. If someone was targeting the mother, surely it wasn't a screw-up where the only option was to fumble the crime scene and accidentally the son as well. I don't buy it.

I don't think that is that big of a deal. I did the same for my younger brother...:oops:...It doesn't usually mean they are going to kill someone and endanger everyone in a speed boat. Usually it means they are going to play beer pong at a party and try to pick up someone.

I don't know that much about his character. But it didn't seem to create the same kind of chaos and mayhem around himself as his little bro did.
It is a very big deal if you intend to become an attorney.

That's easily rationalized a few ways. It's been posted that ordering two backup IDs is not uncommon in some underage drinking communities. Buster could have had his ID with him while Paul was using a copy for illegal alcohol purchases. Buster could have looked the other way while Paul was using copies of his ID.

At such a young age, could Buster have anticipated that his little brother would become a blotto psycho alcoholic? The parents, Alex and Margaret, surely would have seen Timmy first. Paul's friends had seen Paul/Timmy that out of control more than once. Surely his parents saw it first. Why didn't Alex and Margaret intervene before Paul recklessly ploughed their boat into a bridge, wearing underpants and carelessly killing peers?

Drunk boating changed everything. Paul was looking at life in prison and Alex was watching Paul and his mom deplete the family fortune to keep Paul out of jail. Perhaps that why Margaret requested the family audit - she wanted to legally support Paul, and Alex wanted to reduce costs?

It will be interesting to see when the drugs and embezzling started. Before or after all the Paul troubles?

With dad having his own personal drug supplier, it’s no wonder PM’s also been dabbling in drugs (Morgan’s comment). All the adults in the social circle looking the other way with underage kids drunk driving/boating, and everyone walking on eggshells around the Murdaugh family in fear or awe, and with no lessons in accountability learned over at least 2 generations makes the accident, and therefore the chain of events that led to their downfall, seem sadly almost inevitable…

Makes me glad for my kids I don’t have this kind of absolute power to make every bad or uncomfortable thing go away.

That's easily rationalized a few ways. It's been posted that ordering two backup IDs is not uncommon in some underage drinking communities. Buster could have had his ID with him while Paul was using a copy for illegal alcohol purchases. Buster could have looked the other way while Paul was using copies of his ID.

At such a young age, could Buster have anticipated that his little brother would become a blotto psycho alcoholic? The parents, Alex and Margaret, surely would have seen Timmy first. Paul's friends had seen Paul/Timmy that out of control more than once. Surely his parents saw it first. Why didn't Alex and Margaret intervene before Paul recklessly ploughed their boat into a bridge, wearing underpants and carelessly killing peers?

Drunk boating changed everything. Paul was looking at life in prison and Alex was watching Paul and his mom deplete the family fortune to keep Paul out of jail. Perhaps that why Margaret requested the family audit - she wanted to legally support Paul, and Alex wanted to reduce costs?
If MM wanted a divorce, she would have wanted an accounting of their finances and would also be looking for hidden assets regardless of how she planned use it.

The shooter brought two guns to the double murder of mother and son. Should we believe that the shooter did not intend to use both weapons : shotgun, assault rifle? Perhaps the shooter intended to shoot one victim with two guns? Not likely. One victim was not shot with two guns. Two victims were shot with two guns, perhaps by one shooter.

Two guns means two intended victims, even if one was a 22 year old with serious legal problems.

I don't believe that Paul was accidentally killed in a double murder with his mother. If someone was targeting the mother, surely it wasn't a screw-up where the only option was to fumble the crime scene and accidentally the son as well. I don't buy it.

I just can’t imagine, for all his entitled and narcissistic qualities, that AM could personally fire TWO rounds of shotgun shots into his own son close range. It would take a real psycho. At execution style distance, we’re talking about backspatter and explosive outcome on the skull and with his arm raised by his face PM probably knew what was about to happen.

I’m actually not surprised if AM saw the aftermath that he became suicidal for just having seen his own son in that state, even if he wasn’t the killer!

So I want to believe for my own sanity that it was at least 2 cold blooded hitmen - whether hired for hate filled revenge or some other…

Found an obit for Thomas Smith, Sr., son of late John and Emaline Murdaugh Smith and brother of Curtis Edward Smith. Sounds like Curtis is a family member to Alex!

Obituary for Thomas Smith, Sr. | Brice W. Herndon and Sons Funeral Home, Walterboro, SC

ETA- link to obit

All causes me to wonder if there is also a familial link with the other 2015 case that has now been re-opened: the new investigation in to the death of Stephen Smith which was originally ruled a hit and run.

Alex Murdaugh was refused payout on $6m policy indemnifying him in boating death death lawsuit | Daily Mail Online
2015: Teenager Stephen Smith dies

Smith was found on the side of the road. Police officially rule his death a hit-and-run but he had suffered blunt force trauma to the head

His mother has since shared her belief that she thinks he was killed in a hate-crime because he was gay

Case notes obtained by DailyMail.com revealed Paul's older brother Buster was named multiple times in the investigation.

Police wanted to know more about his relationship with Stephen

Stephen's mother said he had been having a 'fling'

On September 4, it became clear Alex believed that ending his life was his only option. Today, he knows that’s not true. For the last 20 years, there have been many people feeding his addiction to opioids. During that time, these individuals took advantage of his addiction and his ability to pay substantial funds for illegal drugs. One of those individuals took advantage of his mental illness and agreed to take Alex's life, by shooting him in the head. Fortunately, Alex was not killed by the gunshot wound. Alex is fully cooperating with SLED in their investigations into his shooting, opioid use and the search to find the person or people responsible for the murder of his wife and son. Alex is not without fault but he is just one of many whose life has been devastated by opioid addiction.
'Believed that ending his life was his only option:' Murdaugh attorney releases statement

Gloria Satterfield was the Murdaugh family housekeeper for over two decades before dying in 2018 after what was described as a trip and fall accident at the Murdaugh’s home.

Following her death, a $500,000 wrongful death claim was filed against Alex Murdaugh on behalf of Satterfield’s estate. The lawyer representing the estate in the 2018 lawsuit was Corey Fleming, Alex Murdaugh’s close friend and college roommate.

According to attorney Eric Bland, who is now representing Satterfield’s estate, the claim was granted and the case was closed, but neither the estate nor Satterfield’s sons have received any money, although court records show that the claim was paid.
Attorney: Family of former Murdaugh housekeeper has not received money from wrongful death settlement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member