Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 #81 *arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Voluntary or involuntary? Because, to me, Murder 2 and 3 in CO encompass some aspects of manslaughter. Negligent homicide is, I believe involuntary manslaughter. And Murder 2 in CO sounds a lot like voluntary manslaughter where I live - I'm not sure about how all these charges converge.

But I do know that CO has M1, M2, and M3 (M3 is crime of passion - not intending the consequence, but swept up in the horror.passion of the moment...)

I believe a "crime of passion" falls under M2 in Colorado, making it akin to voluntary manslaughter:
CO § 18-3-103. Murder in the second degree:
(1) A person commits the crime of murder in the second degree if the person knowingly causes the death of a person.
. . .
(b) Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph (a) of this subsection (3), murder in the second degree is a class 3 felony where the act causing the death was performed upon a sudden heat of passion, caused by a serious and highly provoking act of the intended victim, affecting the defendant sufficiently to excite an irresistible passion in a reasonable person;  but, if between the provocation and the killing there is an interval sufficient for the voice of reason and humanity to be heard, the killing is a class 2 felony.
(BBM)

I do agree that manslaughter at CO § 18-3-104 is involuntary manslaughter.

Did Barry have ANY food on May 10?

Maybe he something caused him to lose his appetite...

I don't think for a second he was doorpanhandling for access to a free (pandemic) breakfast. He was at McDonald's too, shoving trash deep into the receptacle... and didn't eat there. News flash: breakfast for a buck --

So... if not for food, why was Barry all up in that door's bi'ness?

Methinks Barry wanted to bring some things into the hotel without parading them through the lobby.

How angry do you suppose he was when LL showed him some of their nice photography and cinematography?

Oh, Barry. Bungle City.

JMO

Thought about that earlier. He had a steak sometime after 2pm on the 9th. He didn't eat at the HIE, he didn't eat at the McDonalds. I don't think we have a length of time that he was at the gas station, nor are we entirely clear on if he just cleaned the windshield or went through the car wash there. He could have gotten something at the gas station, but I think by that point he was too nervous trying to keep his alibi straight to think about food.

Did y'all know if you download Google Earth Pro you can look at past satellite images?

For a few days now, I've been trying to trace an ATV path up Pahlone Peak and tonight, I remembered past images.

Two historic images bore out the ATV path he could have used to get up the mountain.
ScreenHunter 1001.jpg

If I had a drone, I know where I'd look.

Thought about that earlier. He had a steak sometime after 2pm on the 9th. He didn't eat at the HIE, he didn't eat at the McDonalds. I don't think we have a length of time that he was at the gas station, nor are we entirely clear on if he just cleaned the windshield or went through the car wash there. He could have gotten something at the gas station, but I think by that point he was too nervous trying to keep his alibi straight to think about food.
Maybe he had Uber Eats deliver to his room -- he was there long enough! -- He had nothing else to do.

I hate to send everyone scrambling for the Swan-Dive pic again, but I'm looking at the wider shot without AM or BM in the shot and I can't tell if it's high tension power lines or maybe a ski-lift in the back ground to the mid upper left. Once you see it in the brighter wider shot, you can see it in the pic with Barry lying on the ground. If we can figure out what's back there, we should be able to pin down that spot.

Found it in the case Photobucket *tips hat to @AmandaReckonwith *

Photobucket
ea58fd6d-14c9-424e-a3da-02f16c45c4e8

05.to.09.barrys.spot.JPG

Last edited:
I hate to send everyone scrambling for the Swan-Dive pic again, but I'm looking at the wider shot without AM or BM in the shot and I can't tell if it's high tension power lines or maybe a ski-lift in the back ground to the mid upper left. Once you see it in the brighter wider shot, you can see it in the pic with Barry lying on the ground. If we can figure out what's back there, we should be able to pin down that spot.

Found it in the case Photobucket *tips hat to @AmandaReckonwith *

Photobucket
ea58fd6d-14c9-424e-a3da-02f16c45c4e8
The accumulation of stones look very different between the 2 pics, even one piece of rock is laying the wrong way round. :eek:

It is interesting to think about....will it help the prosecution or hurt the prosecution to hear that Barry and Suzanne bickered and argued like many couples do. As the judge said...it's pretty clear their marriage was troubled and at least in the preliminary he seemed loath to keep pounding on that. I personally don't think she was killed by Barry because of arguments and bickering for several years....if she was killed by Barry it was something more immediate in my opinion. I don't know quite how I "think" the younger daughter will contribute to the prosecution case...and for some reason I suspect Barry would not like her called to the stand by the defense and open her up to questioning by the prosecution...just a gut reaction for me.
Except in this case, the "bickering" appears to be the type related to DV: control of a person (SM) through money, appearance (what she could wear) & threatened gun violence (BM gun to his head.

The evidence we have does not indicate their known arguments as normal "like many couples." Once more, IMO. Perhaps you don't agree it is "evidence."

No doubt, once SM decided she wanted more autonomy as a person (thoughts, choices, actions), her husband saw it as a sign of opposition.

Bickering is arguing about petty or trivial matters. When Suzanne acted outside of the norms Barry was comfortable with, emotional coercion moved to physical coercion.

You can lose your life to DV, as we have seen in this case. Proving it is the challenge, especially when an interpersonal dynamic has consumed most of the party's adult lives.

JMHO

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe he had Uber Eats deliver to his room -- he was there long enough! -- He had nothing else to do.

Maybe they've got some snappy footage of him at the hotel vending machine. Didn't he say his truck was full of wrappers? Couple'a Ding Dongs maybe.

I'm still stuck on the steak.

He really sat down with maybe some steak sauce and downed a steak? That's mind-blowing to me.

But then, PF headed to his Mom's for Thanksgiving dinner.

A guy's gotta eat, I suppose.

JMO

@sk716 there aren't a ton of lifts on Monarch so it would depend on which direction this is looking. There is also a scenic tramway up in the pass. There have been quite a few searches of that area including the AM public search so perhaps someone can pinpoint this plateau easily if they participated in any of the searches.

Maybe they've got some snappy footage of him at the hotel vending machine. Didn't he say his truck was full of wrappers? Couple'a Ding Dongs maybe.

He really sat down with maybe some steak sauce and downed a steak? That's mind-blowing to me.

JMO
These guys don’t have empathy. Of course they can eat! They thought they had just gotten rid of their biggest problem. I wouldn’t doubt the meal was a celebration of sorts!

JMO
It's mind-blowing to me as well. (In a general sense) For someone who obviously isn't a serial killer (who process each kill in a completely different way), I think the very act itself might even feel sort of surreal to the person. Something their brain would sort of force them into compartmentalizing somewhere over "there" so that they could get back to the everyday life things, like washing laundry and grilling a steak. Normal things that maybe even make them feel better, like the "thing" didn't actually happen.

jmo

Except in this case, the "bickering" appears to be the type related to DV: control of a person (SM) through money, appearance (what she could wear) & threatened gun violence (BM gun to his head.

The evidence we have does not indicate their known arguments as normal "like many couples." Once more, IMO. Perhaps you don't agree it is "evidence."

No doubt, once SM decided she wanted more autonomy as a person (thoughts, choices, actions), her husband saw it as a sign of opposition.

Bickering is arguing about petty or trivial matters. When Suzanne acted outside of the norms Barry was comfortable with, emotional coercion moved to physical coercion.

You can lose your life to DV, as we have seen in this case. Proving it is the challenge, especially when an interpersonal dynamic has consumed most of the party's adult lives.

JMHO
The sentence "enhancer" that prosecution added for DV will only come into play at the end of a trial. The logic behind the prosecution on the enhancer was not really exhibited in the prelim, but perhaps since it is a sentence related procedure it would become apparent at the trial if it occurs and/or if Suzanne is "found" and a cause of death can be determined.

I can't wait @Alethea. What are you thinking is going to happen, bound over or not, 1st Degree or possible 2nd, and bail or not?

I think he's staying in jail and will be bound over but I am not sure about 1st degree. If they get 1st degree, I think jury selection will be critical for the state. There's a lot of information after the crime but not much before it which jurors will expect for 1st degree whether that's a correct interpretation of the law or not.

I think he's staying in jail and will be bound over but I am not sure about 1st degree. If they get 1st degree, I think jury selection will be critical for the state. There's a lot of information after the crime but not much before it which jurors will expect for 1st degree whether that's a correct interpretation of the law or not.
Does the judge make his/her ruling based solely on what is presented verbally/visually at the preliminary hearing or does the entire arrest affadavit (including any and all details not discussed) factor into the decision?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46