Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they were arguing before his trip home, perhaps about the trip but there was a different vibe on the IG posts in August. Im kinda curious about her activities the days he was gone, that would help shed some light here. JMO

I wonder if they argued about BL having to go back to Florida just to move things out of the storage unit, if it seemed odd to her that his family couldn't handle this without him. It seems odd to me. I wonder what the plan was for who was going to pay for the storage unit while they were on this trip. And why it became such a big deal. I wonder if they often argued over money, and this issue escalated given the storage unit/trip back to Florida situation. I also wonder if BL's parents really ever liked Gabby.

BBM. This is what I was thinking as well. How he came home and immediately hid in his parents' house and wouldn't reach out to her parents to me says he did something wrong/bad and won't tell them. Very childish. Honestly who else would everyone be looking at it if not him?
MOO
It is very childish! The parents aren’t helping by not encouraging him to grow up and man up!

Brian left Gabby in the Fairfield Inn in Salt Lake City and flew back home to Florida from August 17 to the 23 to help his father empty out a storage unit where he and Gabby had their things.

According to Schmidt, Brian's father offered to let them keep their belongings at his house so they wouldn't have to pay for the storage unit.

He left Gabby at the hotel so she, understandably, wouldn't be alone in the van. Brian then flew back to Utah and they left the hotel together on August 24

Last text message missing 'van-life woman' Gabby Petitio sent to her mother is revealed | Daily Mail Online

FWIW I'm planning a trip for next month and I've been checking out hotel prices for my budget. I see the Fairfield Inn SLC is $166/night. If she stayed Aug 17-23, seven nights, it would be a total of about $1160. Add in his round trip flight to FL and this becomes very costly. $$??

Fairfield Inn & Suites Salt Lake City Airport

And why have Brian fly back to help move the belongings when they could have hired someone to assist? I imagine a round-trip flight would cost much more than hiring someone to help out.
BL and his parents were moving her belonging to the storage unit. They lived with the parents so I’m sure it was from the house to the storage.

There are some serious questions to be answered, and some timeline confusion.

Let us ponder some questions:

• What prompted the trip back for BL? Was it really so important he couldn't decline or wait when it was financially sound?
  • Who prompted the trip back?
  • What date/time did BL return with the Cashier having told a conflicting date?
  • The Uber Eats timeline seems only mildly conflicting (the store had power and food unless the date is wrong), but was it food for 2?

Didn't Gabby speak to her parents from SLC? She must have told them he went to Florida? I'd guess.
I think the trip back to Florida was used as an excuse for them to take a break from each other as well as getting it out before they'd be charged for another month.
Whatever happened after they checked out of the hotel in SLC
MOO.
I am guessing the trip back to FL was the breakup and the trip back to SLC was the makeup but it didn't really stick.

It will be interesting to see the text records between them at that time.

Either scenario- moving the stuff into or out of a storage unit doesn't warrant a flight home by itself.

That is a lot of money to spend that would have funded their road trip for a long time.

I’d love to know even just the title of the now-unavailable video that appears at the end of their vlog from August 19th as the “uploader’s suggested next video” link…
tAY9MkI_d.webp

Last edited:
I suspect that mom and pop Laundrie didn't realize Gabby was actually missing until they were texted by Gabby's mother.

I wonder what he told them about moving her things out of their house?

Looks like the Utah police incident was 12 August.

Laundrie flies to FL to remove "their stuff" (her stuff?) from his parents house. 21 August?

25 August, Gabby calls mom and says she is in Grand Teton NP. Never heard from in a reliable way since. I believe he's texting on her phone after that.

Neither one of the couple called police, someone called police on them - that's all UT police will say. Could have just been a parking-related incident. But I suspect it was more.

To me it sounds like they broke up, but perhaps decided to continue onward (or "got back together"). SLC to Grand Teton is about a day's drive, but they had been taking a slow pace up until whatever it was that happened in SLC.

I think the most likely reason he drove it back to his parents is because he could afford to do that and he's not very bright. He was panicking and needed to be home, needed his parents at his side, so that's what he did.

It also allowed him to disassociate to a great degree from the crime. As if he was just on a solo road trip.

Did he have the funds to get a plane ticket? Wouldn't abandoning the van in WY or anyplace else have been equally suspicious? Notice that the way he did it, you are able to come up with a plausible scenario the exculpates him (she went off on her own). If the van had been abandoned, no matter where it was, it would have set off a nearby search effort when discovered.

How does it not look WAY more suspicious if, immediately after Gabby is last heard from, her BF abandons the van and flees?

Do you think there was something in the band he needed to dispose of? Like a body? If so, choosing to drive cross country (and then lawyering up) is a good way for a murderer to cover their tracks.

Anyone remember any other cross-country murder cases like this one??

(And I do believe there's foul play here; so if it turns out not to be a murder, it's still a really bizarre case).

Absolutely! I'm reminded of The British Columbia murders and cross-country manhunt of July-August 2019 involving Chynna Deese, Lucas Fowler, Leonard Dyck, Kam McLeod and Bryer Schmegelsky. This is the first time I've been back to WebSleuths since that thread was closed in October 2019 interestingly enough. This is very quickly approaching that level of crazy.

Last edited:
I thought I read the post by mom or someone else he flew home and put her stuff in storage as they were living with BL’s parents. Can someone please confirm which is correct?

The article says he flew home so the Dad could empty the storage unit where he and Gabby had their things. Likely to clear out the unit before Sept 1 to avoid paying another month.

So BL is supposed to have moved BOTH their possessions to the Dad's house?

Can the Petito parents get her possessions back?

If not, LE may be extremely interested in what the L's have at their home. Search warrant time!

I am guessing the trip back to FL was the breakup and the trip back to SLC was the makeup but it didn't really stick.

It will be interesting to see the text records between them at that time.

Either scenario- moving the stuff into or out of a storage unit doesn't warrant a flight home by itself.

That is a lot of money to spend that would have funded their road trip for a long time.

I was wondering if they were using the trip back as a cooling off period- but 7 days in a hotel and flight cost seems like a big waste of $$. Moving stuff in and out of storage wouldn't take 7 days.
MOO

I'm not sure I agree because why wouldn't the mom answer the very first text or phone call from Gabby's mom if nothing was wrong that she was aware of? I think he called his parents and they told him to drive home - I'm wondering if one of them flew out there to assist him in the drive home? that van is awfully clean .....

ETA: grammar

Wondering the same (or at least, they assisted him in removing whatever it was he removed from their house). Then they don't answer the texts. Could be as simple as the parents knowing that the two had broken up and there was trouble in paradise.

They did have several days to clean and clean again...the van should be impeccable at this point.

16 days between Gabby's last proof of life and the missing person's filing. He got home on Sept 1, right? 6 days after Gabby's last phone call with her mom.

I'm so glad FBI is involved - they'll get her phone records and pings, and they'll get camera footage from at least one gas station near GTNP. If he's the only one to be seen driving the van on August 25-26, then Gabby's stepdad has more to work with. It's not as if BL knew the terrain at all well.

Brian Entin
@BrianEntin

·
6m

“Male tried to create distance by telling Gabby to go take a walk to calm down, she didn’t want to be separated from the male, and began slapping him. He grabbed her face and pushed her back as she pressed upon him and the van.”
Quote Tweet

lUhyFzZj_normal.jpg

Brian Entin
@BrianEntin
· 8m
NEW: We have the Moab, Utah police report regarding Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie. It says “the male had been observed to have assaulted the female” near the Mooflower Co-op.

Hmm, BL goes to the safe house and GP stays with the van?

E_WFL0HXoAID-z_

A little unusual that GP's mother downplays this event:

"But Gabby's mother told DailyMail.com, 'It's irrelevant. Two people traveling together with each other 24 hours a day, it's not going to be perfect, it was an argument, and that's all I'm going to say about it.'"

Brian left Gabby in the Fairfield Inn in Salt Lake City and flew back home to Florida from August 17 to the 23 to help his father empty out a storage unit where he and Gabby had their things.

According to Schmidt, Brian's father offered to let them keep their belongings at his house so they wouldn't have to pay for the storage unit.

He left Gabby at the hotel so she, understandably, wouldn't be alone in the van. Brian then flew back to Utah and they left the hotel together on August 24

Last text message missing 'van-life woman' Gabby Petitio sent to her mother is revealed | Daily Mail Online

FWIW I'm planning a trip for next month and I've been checking out hotel prices for my budget. I see the Fairfield Inn SLC is $166/night. If she stayed Aug 17-23, seven nights, it would be a total of about $1160. Add in his round trip flight to FL and this becomes very costly. $$??

Fairfield Inn & Suites Salt Lake City Airport
I would guess her mom thought Dads text moving her things into storage would be because they would be gone for months? Very strange

@PommyMommy cleaned up our timeline (@JerseyGirl and @JudgeJoe

MAR 17: IG Post- 1 yr anniversary
JUL 2: GP announced her engagement to BL

JUL 2
: Van Life Road Trip Began for Gabby Petito and BL
JUL 5: The couple stopped at Kansas' Monument Rocks
JUL 8: Their next stop was Colorado Springs
JUL 10: Petito updated her Instagram with photos of her walking at Grand Sand Dunes National Park
JUL 16: Petito’s smiling in a photo from the couple’s next stop at Zion National Park
JUL 20: Petito informed her Instagram followers that they were at Cedar Breaks
JUL 21: The next stop was Bryce Canyon National Park
JUL 26: Petito posted a photo relaxing in hot tub at Mystic Hot Springs
JUL 30: The couple stopped at Canyonlands National Park Mesa Arch

AUG 10
: JF met Gabby and BL near Moab, Utah where they chatted about 40 min. JF and his gf then set off on a hike to the Delicate Arch. When they got back to the parking lot, Gabby and Laundrie were gone.
AUG 12: The couple took a hike at Arches National Park
AUG 12 Moab, UT PD police incident report - no criminal charges,respond to an incident involving BL and Gabrielle Petito
AUG 12 Arches National Park - reservation only campsite (per PE)
AUG 13: BF posted an Instagram photo from their next destination in Moab
AUG 13: BL returns to Florida via airplane to move their things out of storage returns Aug 23 (please confirm I have this right)
AUG 19: YouTube travel video posted
AUG 21: Gabbys dad orders Uber eats
AUG 21: Gabby told her Dad on FaceTime that they had lost power during a stop in Salt Lake City.
AUG 23: BL returns from Florida trip via airplane (Where was the van parked?)
AUG 24: The couple were seen checking out of a hotel in Salt Lake City, Utah
AUG 25: Petito’s family spoke to her for the last time over the phone and she said she was in Grand Teton National Park
Last phone call between Gabby & her mom, Nicole Schmidt. Last Instagram post from Monarch Wall in Ogden, Utah.
AUG 27 & 30: text messages from Gabby’s phone sent to mom
After August 30th, Gabby’s parents weren’t able to get in contact with Gabby or her fiance. Her fiance’s mother also was not responding to any phone calls.”

SEP 1
: BL returns home to FL alone, retains an attorney & is uncooperative with the investigation
SEP 10: The family alerted the National Park Service.
SEP 11: Gabby’s family report her missing 7 PM
Sep 11: Van seized at the home of BL parents in NorthPort FL - FBI
Sep 14: BL family lawyer issues statement
Sept 15: NorthPort police names BL as Person of Interest
Sept 15: Gabby's family issues another statement (?)

Let's fill this in -
ETA: added August 12 domestic response Aug 13 (@Seattle1 )
Thanks for this, @oviedo , @PommyMommy ! @JudgeJoe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooreknowledge