Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he drove the van that was registered to her (hence she was the owner) back to Florida alone, would that not appear to be theft of a vehicle? That part is really sticking with me. What gives him the right to take her mode of transport? Even is she was acting violent (big if here), I still can’t square him taking her property and then taking it thousands of miles away from where she was last seen. Curious what others think specific to him taking possession of the truck. (all just my opinion and speculation)

I read somewhere that her father actually was the owner of the van, which would make sense because it looks very pricey, and she was relying on him for even food while she was away. If that's the case, it certainly would seem he'd have standing to report his vehicle stolen by BL.

Scroll down for a pic of the vehicle:

Missing Gabby Petito was seen 'hitting' her boyfriend in the arm, police report reveals | Daily Mail Online

Years ago I allowed an unstable relative of mine to stay with me in my home for three years. She eventually eloped with her druggie boyfriend and did not tell me, and it was five full days until I realized she was married. She didn’t want to leave because they hadn’t found a place to live yet.

When I called the police to have her removed from my home, they told me she had “squatter’s rights.” She’d lived here for more than 30 days and I couldn’t get her out. Imagine! Finally they did get an apartment.

I mention this because I haven’t focused as much on BL stealing her van. If her father owned it, I hope they can lock BL up for felony theft and hopefully be able to press him more about Gabby.

If Gabby owned it, I wonder if he would have these squatter’s rights since they lived in the van together. I know GP and BL both have addresses at their parents’ houses, or his parents’ house, but that’s not where they were living. Since the van was his home and she allowed him to live there, I have no idea if squatter’s rights immunizes him from theft of the van.

It may differ by state, or it may differ because I myself was not deprived of my residence. I have no idea. Just a thought.

Reported missing Sept 11 - her van seized sept 11- FBI processing it so today is sept 15 -4 days to try to determine where Gabby could be- I’m wondering if they have checked her cell phone records yet? Was gabby in a family plan? If so, did mom check the call and text history? I can see online with my carrier. We know from other cases they seem to be able to ping the cell phone quickly - was this done and is it leading to a targeted search? Have any search warrants been issued besides the van? I checked Sarasota County clerk earlier today and am finding zero so far.

JMO

Don't forget - cell phone location data (pings, triangulation, etc) requires a search warrant pursuant to Supreme Court 2018 16-402 Carpenter v US.

Pings/location tracking not to be confused with phone call history and text records which are readily available.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/17pdf/16-402_h315.pdf

So if the power was only out briefly while she was in the hotel why did she not use the WIFI to be in contact with her family? It just seems so strange, she went so many days without the net, I'd think she would be burning it up She talked with her dad cause he sent food. What about mom, cousins etc

MAR 17: IG Post- 1 yr anniversary
JUL 2: GP announced her engagement to BL

JUL 2
: Van Life Road Trip Began for Gabby Petito and BL - GP is the owner of the van
JUL 5: The couple stopped at Kansas' Monument Rocks
JUL 8: Their next stop was Colorado Springs
JUL 10: Petito updated her Instagram with photos of her walking at Grand Sand Dunes National Park
JUL 16: Petito’s smiling in a photo from the couple’s next stop at Zion National Park
JUL 20: Petito informed her Instagram followers that they were at Cedar Breaks
JUL 21: The next stop was Bryce Canyon National Park
JUL 26: Petito posted a photo relaxing in hot tub at Mystic Hot Springs
JUL 30: The couple stopped at Canyonlands National Park Mesa Arch

AUG 10
: JF met Gabby and BL near Moab, Utah where they chatted about 40 min. JF and his gf then set off on a hike to the Delicate Arch. When they got back to the parking lot, Gabby and Laundrie were gone.
AUG 12: The couple took a hike at Arches National Park
AUG 12 Moab, UT PD police incident report - no criminal charges,respond to an incident involving BL and Gabrielle Petito
AUG 12 Arches National Park - reservation only campsite (per PE)
AUG 13: BF posted an Instagram photo from their next destination in Moab
AUG 17: BL returns to Florida via airplane to move their things out of storage returns Aug 23

AUG 19: YouTube travel video posted
AUG 21: Gabbys dad orders Uber eats
AUG 21: Gabby told her Dad on FaceTime that they had lost power during a stop in Salt Lake City.
AUG 23: BL returns from Florida trip via airplane (Where was the van parked?)
AUG 24: The couple were seen checking out of a hotel in Salt Lake City, Utah
AUG 25: Petito’s family spoke to her for the last time over the phone and she said she was in Grand Teton National Park
Last phone call between Gabby & her mom, Nicole Schmidt. Last Instagram post from Monarch Wall in Ogden, Utah.
AUG 27 - Gabby's uncle posts there was a snapchat Gabby sent a friend -heading to Yellowstone (in Dailymail article)
AUG 27 & 30: text messages from Gabby’s phone sent to mom
After August 30th, Gabby’s parents weren’t able to get in contact with Gabby or her fiance. Her fiance’s mother also was not responding to any phone calls.”
AUG 30: Text from Gabby to Mom - No service in Yosemite

SEP 1
: BL returns home to FL alone, retains an attorney & is uncooperative with the investigation
SEP 10: The family alerted the National Park Service.
SEP 11: Gabby’s family report her missing 7 PM
Sep 11: Van seized at the home of BL parents in NorthPort FL - FBI
Sep 14: BL family lawyer issues statement
Sept 15: NorthPort police names BL as Person of Interest
Sept 15: Gabby's family issues another statement
Sep 15- Northport police chief asks BL lawyer to assist in finding Gabby
ETA
Will incorporate in next update
August 31: A new list titled “Self-Consumption” appeared on the couple’s Spotify

September 1: 4 songs were added to the playlist "Mtn tops," on an account Gabby Petito appears to share with her boyfriend Brian Laundrie: Many of the songs, collected on an account she appeared to share with her fiancé, Brian Laundrie, focus on love and heartache.
"Your woman is your angel, is your left side, is your whole life; easily the most beautiful thing in the world," one song, Matt Berry’s "Woman," begins. "She'll soothe you; she'll accuse you; she'll confuse you; she'll lose you but always be the best friend you have in the world."

Another song, "Take My Hand," is about picking up a stranger at a bar. "The Badger’s Wake" is about a badger decomposing underground.

September 10: Gabby’s mother texted Brian and his mother, Roberta, trying to get in touch with Gabby, but neither replied

September 10: Gabby’s mother went to report Gabby missing later in the day, but police initially blew her off.
Mother of missing Gabby Petito says boyfriend and his family IGNORED her desperate texts | Daily Mail Online

Missing woman's haunting songs on Spotify account may provide answers
Thank you for sharing!

The report does not say she assaulted him. It attempts to provide a narration to explain why they were both so upset and the arguing had escalated to physical. He grabbed her face, so he was also physical with her, it was not a one-way physical fight. They had done this before, IMO. The way the cops wrote it up portrays her as irrational and more upset than the man in this situation, the POI who probably is responsible for her being missing. The cops wrote: "The male tried to create distance by telling Gabbie to go take a walk to calm down. she didn't want to be separated from the mate and began slapping him."

That's the hysterical woman part of the story and I doubt very much it actually happened that way. That sounds like the boyfriend's POV, to establish how "nuts" his girlfriend is. And police reports are not infallible.

Just IMO

Well - it sure seems that the policeman noticed scratches in two places on Brian (he documents that). She cries the whole time, he can't get her version.

Witnesses (three of them) see the couple struggling over a cell phone (Gabby's?)

In the police report, Brian is listed as the "victim" and Gabby is the other party (can't remember the word - "assailant" I think).

The cop who stayed at the scene and helped keep Gabby from arrest or a ticket (one of which is mandatory in an actual DV incident in Utah). He states that she was crying the whole time, had her face in her hands, was rubbing her knees in agitation, and otherwise, I'd say "agitated" the entire time he was there. This is consistent with what the witnesses said, as well.

While police reports are not infallible, I trust them way more than the BF in this case. And I think the police acted in a kindly manner and did not cite Gabby. Instead, they let her go away in her own van (which seems to be part of the fight) and Brian has to go to a hotel (paid for by a domestic violence public interest group).

I just don't think most cops in Utah would risk their whole career by writing up lies that are so specific. But especially, not in Moab.

I do believe that it takes two to tango on public streets.

And next day, I don't think we see pictures of them jointly on her Insta, any more - not until Ogden (where it appears someone was holding the camera, presumably Brian). And Ogden is north of Salt Lake.

So, we have Moab to Salt Lake with no pictures (that I know of), then the hotel stay in Salt Lake while Brian flies home to do something with stuff that's in a storage unit, then flies back to SLC, where they take off north again (see picture of Gabby in Ogden). By August 25, Gabby is in Grand Tetons (according to what she says out loud to her mother).

Moab incident is August 12-13.

Utah police stopped Gabby Petito and fiancé after fight on road trip before she went missing, report says
(Utah police stopped Gabby Petito and fiancé after fight on road trip before she went missing, report says)

---

My personal opinion: Put yourself in the boyfriend's shoes: If you did NOT know anything about Gabby's disappearance whatsoever, you would emphasize that to others... In this scenario, the boyfriend is refusing to cooperate. He knows something. Whether he did anything or not, he knows something.

Have they been using cash, credit or debit while traveling? With needing gas, food I would think that his/her locations could be tracked with bank data and cameras at these locations.
I would think it not safe to carry alot of cash on you while traveling to campgrounds although you would need some for emergencies..

I NEVER carry cash, not even for emergencies. I do wonder what their circumstances were. Being so young, how did they fund their travel?

If they have enough evidence to get him in custody - I'm guessing he will not say a word. Unless the on the ground searches give results (that's such s huge challenge), the van gives up blood evidence or they have sufficient access to phone records and tracking I'm worried they will get enough evidence of anything to charge Him.

I imagine they have had a cadaver dog or two in the van. I'm not sure if such evidence would be allowed in court if it comes to that, though.

Yes, this is the info that is readily available about mother daughter communications. That's why I mention this info. I know that I read at some point, the communication with Gabby's mother was extensive. As if something had happened. It was glossed over, however, as if it was a part of the story that LE did not want out in the public. I'm looking for it, but not sure I'll find it now. Thanks though.
Sorry I couldn't help more. I did some keyword searches and exact phrase searches, and they all came back linking the Dailymail article.

What happened to Gabby Petito? Private investigators say police are 'on the right track' focusing on the missing road tripper's boyfriend

Guillermo Hechevarria, a criminal investigator with Investigation Services Unlimited in Florida, said he believes Laundrie most likely left Petito alive somewhere in the Tetons. But he added that Laundrie retaining an attorney suggests to him that police also may want to look within a one-mile radius of Laundrie's parents' home for a body.
Would someone really risk driving across country with a body in the van?

Bringing this link from post # 929; in the previous thread # 2 for Gabby :
(thanks, @10ofRods ! )

Gabby Petito's Friend Named Person Of Interest After Her Disappearance During Road Trip | X99News

Investigators and Petito’s family beg Laundrie to share crucial information that could help find her. North Port Police Chief Todd Garrison even accused Laundrie of “impeding this investigation”, stating that “the answers will eventually come out”.
“As a father, I can imagine the pain and suffering of Gabby’s family,” Garrison said in a statement. “We’re begging everyone, including Brian, to share with us information about her whereabouts over the past few weeks.”

Emphasis mine. :(
Just speak up and help yourself to be cleared if you're innocent, BL !
Yes the focus is on you ... not only as the boyfriend/fiance' -- but more important --you were the only one with her and saw Gabby last.

A small bit of levity from the same link :
Laundromat has not made itself available to be questioned by investigators, police said.

It helps to have a proofreader eliminate typos. :p

Imo.

Last edited:
What happened to Gabby Petito? Private investigators say police are 'on the right track' focusing on the missing road tripper's boyfriend

Guillermo Hechevarria, a criminal investigator with Investigation Services Unlimited in Florida, said he believes Laundrie most likely left Petito alive somewhere in the Tetons. But he added that Laundrie retaining an attorney suggests to him that police also may want to look within a one-mile radius of Laundrie's parents' home for a body.
I’ve wondered if he took her body back to Florida. Because everyone is searching WY & UT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autumn.Doe