Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think some are getting too into the weeds with the police incident (as with the title of the van). The important takeaway is that things in the van were not all sunshine, whimsical tunes, and yoga Zen.

Agreed. What stands out, to me, is the argument (not a big deal until someone is missing) and the peculiar moving the stuff out of storage mid trip. What does that tell us? I dunno!

At this late in the mix, if any agency had anything on BL, he'd be moved up the list from POI to primary suspect. There are too many puzzle pieces missing.
respectfully, there is no hiercharchy regarding a missing person. Each jurisdiction determines its own criteria and it varies widely.

The weird thing to me is that even murderers usually pretend the person just took off or went missing. They say something. If he just dropped her off on the side on the road and left, why not say something? He has to know they will be looking at his phone pings to follow his path. Maybe he is just trying to delay her being found so that evidence has time to deteriorate to the point that it’s hard to determine what happened?

MOO
Yes - that’s exactly what they are doing IMO

One of the most dangerous things one can do is as a third party get involved in a domestic violence situation. I am not saying one should not act, at the very least call the cops, but one should be aware it can dangerous
It is the most dangerous situation for LE as well. Many officers have been killed responding to domestic calls.

My guess, and this is only a guess, is that LE will be trailing every move BL makes and they'll make sure he's aware of that. BL won't be able to leave his driveway without a LE vehicle riding his bumper every place he goes. They'll do this till he starts talking.

But not talking beats a first or second degree murder conviction if one does start talking and admits it.

We have to parse the ought from the is. From a moral and ethical standpoint you and I may have, he ought to fully and honestly explain to the police everything that occurred. From the point of view as a possible defendant his interest is almost certainly not to talk to them whatsoever.

Thread is moving so quickly I’m an entire thread list behind. So I’m sure this was discussed and I greatly apologize for that. What of GB phone? Is it no longer “pinging” or “receiving” messages/calls? And if not has anyone determined the “official” date that it stopped? Also, has the phone type been determined? Simply wondering if it was an IPhone and if locate my phone was active, and accessible by her parents? I have it active on my husband and kids and vice versa, but if my daughter was going on an adventure like this, I’d have made certain it was active. Do we know who the “Christopher” was that called the police on their spat? Was wondering how exactly he came upon that, just passing through and saw it? Or was he hanging with them for a bit or? I appreciate anyone’s time in bringing me up to speed. Sad case for sure. I’ve not much Hope and hold my breath coming to see the thread each time that the title hasn’t been updated to her no longer being alive.

The weird thing to me is that even murderers usually pretend the person just took off or went missing. They say something. If he just dropped her off on the side on the road and left, why not say something? He has to know they will be looking at his phone pings to follow his path. Maybe he is just trying to delay her being found so that evidence has time to deteriorate to the point that it’s hard to determine what happened?

MOO
I think he has seen enough tv and news to know if he says anything he is locked into that statement and can not change his story if LE debunks his statement.

respectfully, there is no hiercharchy regarding a missing person. Each jurisdiction determines its own criteria and it varies widely.
I understand, I just meant that it's hard to get a warrant for anything without cause. POI isn't enough for just cause. I didn't literally mean there was a hierarchy, apologies for the poor semantics.

It is the most dangerous situation for LE as well. Many officers have been killed responding to domestic calls.
Agree 100%. But at least police are trained and armed -- and have civil suit protection as well.
for the average citizen, one also has the risk that the battered partner will turn on the intervenor though some stockholm syndrome type response. I have a close friend who intervened in a situation where a man was striking his partner, and the intervenor was sued and the victim testified against the white knight.
People would be resolute about calling the authorities if they have reasonable suspicion of abuse, but sadly one has to make some tough decisions about doing anything more than that

Is it too soon for LE to know where her cellphone pinged last? What is the time frame for obtaining video cam footage? Are there active searches going on? Would that point to LE knowing where her phone pinged last and them not revealing it?
Yes, it is too soon for cell tower/location pings to be made available to LE since there's no evidence that GP is the victim of a crime -- only a missing person (i.e., tower location data/pings require probable cause for a search warrant).

Boyfriend returned home 10 days before Gabby Petito was reported missing, police say

Ellis Maxwell, a retired West Valley City Police officer who was the lead investigator on the Susan Powell disappearance, told 2News this case is "very concerning and obviously very suspicious."

"It’s very challenging for the authorities where Mr. Laundrie’s not talking with them and not sharing any information with them," Maxwell said. "He is a very key witness and obviously involved to some degree. He has some knowledge."

Maxwell, who now works as a private investigator and consultant at Utah-based ShieldBalance, said this case "hits home hard for me" with his experience on the Powell case.

"It’s challenging when you don’t have the physical evidence," he said.

Maxwell said Laundrie's refusal to talk immediately raises suspicion that he's involved, but that could mean anything.

"There’s a myriad of different accidents that could take place," Maxwell said, "but again, why would you not talk?"

her van seized sept 11- FBI processing it

SBM
To anyone that knows more than me (okay, that's everyone): what does it mean that the FBI is processing the van? Isn't this a relatively simple and straightforward activity that could be accomplished by the local PD? Does the FBI processing tell us something?

ETA: noted SBM

While not untrue, I thought it was traffic stops that were the most dangerous for LE?

I mean, this was kind of both, IMO, because it clearly resulted in someone having to see the car's license and registration and some identification from both parties; just being pedantic, mostly...

Exactly. Some never name someone a “POI,” or “suspect,” and others do it with some regularity.

I would estimate that in 90% of the cases I’ve followed, no suspect was named until an arrest was made. In most of those, it was pretty clear to us who the perpetrator was though.

What to expect tomorrow: we believe the body camera video from the Utah incident between Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie will be released.
Also - at noon - the FBI, North Port Police, and a member of the Petito family will hold a press conference. I'll be there.

https://twitter.com/brianentin/status/1438335092842274818?s=21

To anyone that knows more than me (okay, that's everyone): what does it mean that the FBI is processing the van? Isn't this relatively straightforward and could be accomplished by the PD? Does the FBI processing tell us something?
It's probably for any forensics which would be processed through their crime lab, people who specialize in evidence and preserving potential evidence. They need to determine if a crime took place or if there are clues to Gabby's location. They will probably also look at the gps and anything at all, air filter, cabin filter, tire dirt, etc to try and see where the vehicle has been or if there's any evidence whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304